Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2014, 23:02   #2446
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandeep View Post
But I want to have a double din setup in the car instead of the single din being provided in the stock. Has anyone heard of HU replacement ie is there a possibility of selling the stock HU and getting a new one? Do the Tata dealers or after market guys do it?
Tata does offer a replacement Double-Din HU (Blaupunkt) instead of standard single DIN Alpine Unit. It was initially part of 55K Explorer Kit but I think it is now available standalone for 20K MRP. Try and get a bargain on the HU too.
Old 27th March 2014, 11:04   #2447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
I am in process of booking a Storme LX this or early next month in Pune, had TD at Concorde motors on weekend and with Pandit Auto today.

Storme is awesome truck and very refined over Dicor. Feels like moving from 1RK to duplex for me.

Typical attitude of Tata SAs kills the enthusiasm its like buy if you want or go. I have read somewhere that customer is always king but learned that it is exception when you are buying Tata product. However the customer relation management form company side is improved a lot for feedback etc.

They are offering only 15 K discount + matting and mudflats accessory + Exchange bonus of 20 K (not applicable for me)

So this deal is not looking attractive for me but lets see how it goes.

Thanks,
Vishal
Vishal if you want I can take you to the National guys one of these days. I know all the important guys there (on the Sales as well as Service side). I found them way better than either of the above. And nothing in the past year has made me change that impression. Incidentally the entire crew of the erstwhile BU Bhandari as well as some of the top technicians of Pandit are what is now the National team.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th March 2014 at 11:06.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 11:19   #2448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Vishal if you want I can take you to the National guys one of these days. I know all the important guys there (on the Sales as well as Service side). I found them way better than either of the above. And nothing in the past year has made me change that impression. Incidentally the entire crew of the erstwhile BU Bhandari as well as some of the top technicians of Pandit are what is now the National team.
Hey ebonho,

Is this the same dealer you are talking about?

NATIONAL AUTO WHEELS PVT LTD

S.NO-114/2 SASWAD ROAD DEVACHI URALI, BEHIND SAI SERVICE SPARE PARTS DIV.
PUNE
MAHARASHTRA
020-26989778

This will be too far from my home as well as work location for further formalities however if they are offering hassle free service and discount then I can go with them.

Can you share contact details of SA?

BTW I have went through your ownership thread 2/3 times I am in love with Black Storme now and yes we will meet in week or two once the decision is made, I am still convincing my wife for Storme over Scorpio as she thinks that Scorpio is enough for our needs and Storme will be huge.

Thanks,
Vishal
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 11:37   #2449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This will be too far from my home as well as work location for further formalities however if they are offering hassle free service and discount then I can go with them.
Sale & service visits are not regular ones, so the distance should not be so much of a concern. Even if you feel distance is more, the quality of service would be important.

Quote:
I am still convincing my wife for Storme over Scorpio as she thinks that Scorpio is enough for our needs and Storme will be huge.
How much bigger ? It looks bigger, but not That big. Pls convince Home Min quickly
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 11:39   #2450
BHPian

Guys, something funny happened to the truck on Sunday. Was out with family around the CP area when all of a sudden there was a massive boom sound from the bonnet after which the truck became a little heavy to drive (pick up went down). On inspection could notice no smoke and neither did any service light come on. The clutch did become a little heavy in the bargain and the engine slightly noisy. What could it be? Am sending the truck to Concorde on Saturday to get it checked.
Old 27th March 2014, 11:43   #2451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey ebonho,

Is this the same dealer you are talking about?

NATIONAL AUTO WHEELS PVT LTD

S.NO-114/2 SASWAD ROAD DEVACHI URALI, BEHIND SAI SERVICE SPARE PARTS DIV.
PUNE
MAHARASHTRA
020-26989778
Yup its the same one. For a fee, I'm sure they could do pick up and drop for the service bit. Either way, you can get your Storme serviced anywhere regardless of which dealer you bought it from. If you get "resistance" or less than top work as an "orphan" a simple phone call to the Regional Sales Manager of Tata Motors has been known to work wonders in galvanizing action and compliance and an attitude to please ....

I agree with Condor. During my purchase I went to all three dealerships and finally settled on National as besides being the closest to my office, were also giving me the best deal. Concorde and Pandit were near about the same.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th March 2014 at 11:48.
Old 27th March 2014, 11:53   #2452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sale & service visits are not regular ones, so the distance should not be so much of a concern. Even if you feel distance is more, the quality of service would be important.

How much bigger ? It looks bigger, but not That big. Pls convince Home Min quickly
Yes sir, you said it rightly.

True not big difference on paper but some how she have just learned driving and she thinks that I will allow her to drive my SUV in future and thats why all that ...

It will be Storme for sure its just matter of time.

Quote:
Yup its the same one. For a fee, I'm sure they could do pick up and drop for the service bit. Either way, you can get your Storme serviced anywhere regardless of which dealer you bought it from. If you get "resistance" or less than top work as an "orphan" a simple phone call to the Regional Sales Manager of Tata Motors has been known to work
wonders in galvanizing action and compliance and an attitude to please ....
Okay got it. This weekend is booked for back to back TD of Scorpio vs Storme with family and will close my Thar CRDe deal as well so mostly Storme booking will happen early April 14.

Question:
What is time and km parameters for first servicing? My plan for Leh in new SUV is on card and the date is 24th May so I will have to complete my first servicing before that.

Thanks,
Vishal.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 27th March 2014 at 11:56.
Old 27th March 2014, 12:05   #2453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
she thinks that I will allow her to drive my SUV in future and thats why all that ...
My wife was equally delusional in the early days.

Quote:
This weekend is booked for back to back TD of Scorpio vs Storme with family and will close my Thar CRDe deal as well so mostly Storme booking will happen early April 14.
Isn't the refreshed new Scorpio expected some time soon?
Old 27th March 2014, 12:07   #2454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
True not big difference on paper but some how she have just learned driving and she thinks that I will allow her to drive my SUV in future and thats why all that ...
can be tricky .. watch out !
Quote:
What is time and km parameters for first servicing? My plan for Leh in new SUV is on card and the date is 24th May so I will have to complete my first servicing before that.
1st service - 1000 km
2nd Service - 5000km
3rd service - 15000 km.

First scheduled Oil change is only in 3rd service. 1st & 2nd Service dont have any replacements. You should be able to complete 1st service before you start for the trip.

Last edited by condor : 27th March 2014 at 12:10.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 12:27   #2455
BHPian

Quote:
My wife was equally delusional in the early days.

Isn't the refreshed new Scorpio expected some time soon?
Yes it is under test but not sure how it will be, chances are that it will share XUV features etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
1st service - 1000 km
2nd Service - 5000km
3rd service - 15000 km.

First scheduled Oil change is only in 3rd service. 1st & 2nd Service dont have any replacements. You should be able to complete 1st service before you start for the trip.
Thats good, so is it recommended to the oil early if I am planning long trip or it will be ideal to follow the schedule strictly.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 27th March 2014, 12:47   #2456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats good, so is it recommended to the oil early if I am planning long trip or it will be ideal to follow the schedule strictly.
Not really required to change oil early, though some will say you should. As long as you dont exceed the officially recommended intervals, you should be fine.
Old 27th March 2014, 13:39   #2457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Guys, something funny happened to the truck on Sunday. Was out with family around the CP area when all of a sudden there was a massive boom sound from the bonnet after which the truck became a little heavy to drive (pick up went down). On inspection could notice no smoke and neither did any service light come on. The clutch did become a little heavy in the bargain and the engine slightly noisy. What could it be? Am sending the truck to Concorde on Saturday to get it checked.
Dear Storme'd - thanks, please send me your contact details by PM.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 27th March 2014, 13:43   #2458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Storme'd - thanks, please send me your contact details by PM.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram Sir, sorry to bother you again. Any help in the query about the fog lamps which i had mentioned in the pm.

Quote:
Yes sir, you said it rightly.

It will be Storme for sure its just matter of time.
Thanks,
Vishal.
Vishal, Just let your wife take a test drive(I used this trick) of both for the following reasons -
  1. Its safe that she tries the TD vehicle and not the one which is yours, to gauge the dimensions!
  2. Also once inside, storme has very good view, turning radius and braking which will ascertain that it can be driven like any other car (as long as you remmember the dimensions!)
Jokes apart my wife drives my storme every once in a while and helps in long drives also, and I can assure you it is far more easier. It does look big on the outside but is very easy to maneuver.

Last edited by stormerider : 27th March 2014 at 13:49. Reason: Adding another quote
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 17:44   #2459
Senior - BHPian

AMC Query:

I currently have a Silver AMC for 4 years/50000 kms for Rs. 16,055/-.

This would cover scheduled service consumables and parts for my first 3 services (15k/1 year, 30k/2 years, 45k/3 years). No running repairs or wear and tear replacements like in Gold (except for battery and tyres).

Since my running is low (less than 10000 kms/year) I could have gotten the same coverage by buying a Silver AMC for 3 years/50000 kms for Rs. 15,655/-.

Now by paying a few thousand bucks more in addition to my existing cover, I can get a Gold AMC for 4 years/40000 kms for Rs. 19,895/-.

This upgrade/change can only be done till 14 months from date of purchase or 10000 kms, whichever is earlier.

The kicker is that the AMC calculations and coverage terms are for scheduled services based on kms and NOT time.

So the bottom line is that the Gold AMC I purchase, since its only for 40000 kms, will NOT cover my 3rd Service cost (or parts/consuables) even though I would probably do it at the end of my 3rd year of ownership - because the 3rd service is at 45000 kms and my Gold AMC is only for 40000 kms.

If I take the 4 years/50000 kms Gold AMC (which would now cover the 3rd Service) it would cost me DOUBLE! - Rs. 38764/-.

Even if I take a 3 years/50000 kms Gold AMC, it would cost only a little less at Rs. 37,332/-.

So the downside of this AMC swap would be that I would have to pay out of pocket for the 3rd service (45000 kms). I am guessing the 3rd service is not the one that involves the large number of part replacments - that is the 4th service at 60000 kms. So the cost should be about the same as the 15000 and 30000 kms services.

The upside is that it would cover all running repairs and replacements for 4 years/40000 kms (except battery and tyres).

The main targets being brake pads (6000 bucks front, 4000 bucks rear), clutch plates (if they have burnt out by then), and maybe suspension bushes.

Yes, wiper blades are also covered (they hardly cost anything - wonder why they are always singled out for mention in the company of the big dollar parts).

So looking at my running, do the potential upsides (brake pads, clutch, bushes, blades) justify the definite downside (45000 km service cost) and should I go in for this AMC upgrade?

Please advise!

P.S. What is interesting is that the SILVER AMC spreadsheet has calculations not just to 50000 kms but all the way to 100000 kms. So we can potentially take a 60000 kms Silver AMC that would cover the 60000 kms service?

This would probably also be a great option as the 60000 km serice involves scheduled replacment of a number of parts (no idea as to the cost of each).

Last edited by ebonho : 27th March 2014 at 18:11.
Old 27th March 2014, 18:20   #2460
Distinguished - BHPian

Doc, have you checked what all items the 3rd service covers ?

1. Does the 19k difference in cost cover the difference in parts that will be replaced in 3rd service ?
2. if you take Gold AMC for 40k, can you get the 3rd service early at 40k ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks