Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 09:15   #946
BHPian

Re: Tata Storme - 'Chauffeur driven perspective'

When I test drove, I liked the Dicor better than Storme at least for the seating position at the front.

Engine was silent and performance was good but could feel the heaviness always.

It somehow looks like Tata has tried their best but left it before it was complete. Something was lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
no biggie. Just needs a small adjustment inside the fuel filler cap, and will be resolved.
Emergency opener is accessible from inner side of the fuel cap, after you open the rear door.
I think his point is - Why should he do that or expect that in such a new vehicle? or why cant the service people correct such silly things that gives a bad impression on their overall product quality.
ganesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 11:47   #947
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
We owned a Estate & Sumo both of which had a spring loaded indicator in the air cleaner that showed exactly when replacement was required.

Is that not the case anymore?
The Aria too has it, so should the Storme.
Old 17th May 2013, 11:57   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The Aria too has it, so should the Storme.
They have been removed. I saw latest stormes and they dont come with the mentioned .indicators
Old 17th May 2013, 12:12   #949
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
They have been removed. I saw latest stormes and they dont come with the mentioned .indicators
Cost Saving? Why else would one remove it. It was a good idea.
Old 17th May 2013, 13:24   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
no biggie. Just needs a small adjustment inside the fuel filler cap, and will be resolved.
Emergency opener is accessible from inner side of the fuel cap, after you open the rear door.
Condor, as a Safari owner im aware of the boot side release mechanism.
However, to me, such a niggle SHOULD NOT EXIST. Electricals and electronics should work flawlessly fine.
Why should a potential customer expect or be expected to put up with a niggle.. and i for one, being a repeat potential customer, definitely will not.

So, this niggle itself being no biggie. The continuing existence of niggles is definitely a biggie.

My apologies for going OT on the thread starters thread.. no intention to hijack.
Cheers.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 17th May 2013 at 13:32.
Old 17th May 2013, 13:27   #951
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
However, to me, such a niggle SHOULD NOT EXIST. Electricals and electronics should work flawlessly fine.
Why should a potential customer expect or be expected to put up with a niggle.. and i for one, being a repeat potential customer, definitely will not.

So, this niggle itself being no biggie.
A niggle is something that persists. The electrical / electronic part of this works fine, and there is no niggle there. If it did not open, it needs a slight adjustment of the position of the lid, which is a one time, 5 minute job.
Old 17th May 2013, 13:42   #952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A niggle is something that persists. The electrical / electronic part of this works fine, and there is no niggle there. If it did not open, it needs a slight adjustment of the position of the lid, which is a one time, 5 minute job.
EDIT: Condor, lets call this a manufacturing defect, poor QC or bad adjustment or whatever. It should not exist on a new car. TML should by now know how to fix a lid in the right position the first time right at the factory.

This so called one time 5 minute job persisted on my vehicle for 2 years. Feel free to calculate the number of time this 5 min job was repeated and the irritation caused when u go to fill fuel and the filler cap cover doesnt pop open and then u have to do a manual release.

Why should i have to do it even twice a year. This is 2013 and TML took about 4-5 yrs to come up with the Storme. How long does it take to get this basic mechanism to work flawlessly!!

I will end my comments on this thread with this post. We can discuss this on another thread maybe.
Thank you.
Old 17th May 2013, 14:23   #953
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No it isnt.
I have had this problem for quite some time.
Fixing it is a 5 minute job. And for 5 minutes it works. Then it stops working and you need to get it fixed again.
Unless you think its no big deal going to the service center for 5 minutes every week, this niggle is a major flaw, not a minor one.
Old 17th May 2013, 22:16   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Cost Saving? Why else would one remove it. It was a good idea.
I have owned an Indigo for 6 years and I have changed the air filter 3 times. In all cases, even though the filter was in a pretty bad state, the indicator showed otherwise. I dont really know how effective the system really is!
Old 18th May 2013, 00:14   #955
Senior - BHPian

Storme being tested/evaluated by the Indian Army.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-militarysafaristorme1.jpg  

Parm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 11:21   #956
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Fuel Lid design for the Storme is just plain and simple poor design.

On my previous Safari the Latch on the cap side just rusted away and I had to buy a new Lid but it too did not come with the complete Latch so had to fabricate something.

Yes it is good the back up fix exists .

On the Aria they gave a flat Lid that automatically unlocks when one unlocks all the Doors, but it did not have a spring loaded mechanism to pop it out so it would remain flush with the outside panel and the guys at the petrol pump would try to open it by giving it two taps on it's side like in the Laura. They never figured out how to open it. It required one to put ones fingers /nails on the side on the lid and pry it open. They did not provide a notch for the finger as in many vehicles.

The mechanism is better than in the Storme and was always reliable but the design poor as it was not something that the petrol fillers could figure out.

It is quite amazing how TATA after all this years still don't get this aspect right even in the even later Storme - They should have used the Aria mechanism here but with a pop out function or something like in all VW vehicles where one taps the side of the lid.

They seem to have retained the earlier design on the new Storme and this despite previous reported issues is quite surprising.
Old 19th May 2013, 23:49   #957
BHPian

In the last 6 months; about 7k+ Safari+Storme have been sold. Would presume that majority would be Stormes.
While the XUV500 has 170+ pages on the niggles & solution thread; there isn't any yet on the Storme.

Does this mean that there aren't any niggles (except for the odd reference below)? Are things really improving at TML!?

The Storme does seem well built & put together; offering 80% of Fortuner/Pajero bracket at 60% the price.
Will things start looking up for TML from here - word of mouth over a period?
Or have we tolerated enough and this is indifference from the consumer at its best?

Am I missing something?
nitin.rai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 07:55   #958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
In the last 6 months; about 7k+ Safari+Storme have been sold. Would presume that majority would be Stormes.
While the XUV500 has 170+ pages on the niggles & solution thread; there isn't any yet on the Storme.

Does this mean that there aren't any niggles (except for the odd reference below)? Are things really improving at TML!?
As a existing Safari 2.2 customer let me tell you this. I have zero, yes you read it right, zero 'niggles', issues or problems with my Safari. It is just like any other car, regular service, diesel and off you go. And I have finished 25k kms in 1 year and its still going fine. I am sure there are plenty more satisfied owners like me, who are not commenting, because there is nothing worth commenting so far.
I do believe that the first lot of Dicors had several problems , which is well documented in the Safari technical issue threads or ownership threads, and Tata did learn at customer expense, but post 2012 most of the Aria mechanicals (not the chassis) was incorporated as fixes in the Dicor and now the Storme, which has made it a pretty reliable car.
apachelongbow is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 12:32   #959
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post

Vs the XUV Storme does not have Satnav, Tyretronics, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Turning Lights, Official reverse Camera Integration into built in LCD Touch Screen System. - A lot of the XUV issues pertain to his.

Besides Storme Suspension is based on Aria so a lot of the Suspension components are already improved / tested vs. the first Aria version, the same would be true of braking. - XUV had and has faced a lot of braking related issues.

The Storme also uses the previous body shell of the Safari and so electronics like Power windows, door locks etc. are tested from the Safari Dicor days. Lastly the engine is the same as in the Dicor and the improvements to it from the Aria are carried over to the Storme so the Reliability must be much more.

The earlier Safari had a rattling rear door due to the spare wheel mounted on it. This is solved with the removal of the Spare wheel from that position.

For the above reasons one can expect the Storme to be relatively niggle free vs. the earlier Safari and the XUV both.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 19:26   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I am sure there are plenty more satisfied owners like me, who are not commenting, because there is nothing worth commenting so far..
Quote:
For the above reasons one can expect the Storme to be relatively niggle free vs. the earlier Safari and the XUV both.
That does instill a lot of confidence in me as a prospective buyer.
Now that leaves us with just one more question. Why isn't the improvement reflecting in the sales numbers vs. say an XUV or a Fortuner?
Is it because of perceived value or is the Storme over priced; especially for the VX version.
nitin.rai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks