Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2014, 16:53   #2581
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Congrats Chinkara! Welcome to our growing community of largely happy and satisfied owners.
Old 18th April 2014, 06:56   #2582
BHPian

Congratulations Chinkara on deciding to get the only Bactrian Camel available in India. It will surely serve you well, regardless of where you want to go.

I have undertaken the first out of city drive yesterday and in Chandigarh now. Planning to explore the hills from here. The truck is rock steady on the highway and cruising at 90kmph (official speed limit on NH1) was a breeze. Both ACs were on for the first time and I have reached here with just over 1/3rd of a tank of fuel. Planning to fill up and see actual mileage. Will update soon with pics.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 11:01   #2583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
The truck is rock steady on the highway and cruising at 90kmph (official speed limit on NH1) was a breeze.
Seriously? How boring man!

90 on NH1 with all those Haryan Roadways bus-shaped missiles hurtling past at 120-130?

NH1 mst have really change since I was riding on it last in the winter of 2010 .....

Btw, last night I discovered that the Storme outpulls the Ford Endeavor in a straight line top gear rollon. That too up a gradient. How heavy is the Ford and what is the power output of its 3.0 L(?) engine?

Last edited by ebonho : 18th April 2014 at 11:30.
Old 18th April 2014, 16:00   #2584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Seriously? How boring man!

90 on NH1 with all those Haryan Roadways bus-shaped missiles hurtling past at 120-130?

NH1 mst have really change since I was riding on it last in the winter of 2010 .....
Yes, boring it was. But I had to stick to speed limit because 1) 5 month old baby strapped in to the car seat and 2) warnings of speed cops at various places.

BTW, I got FE of 14.75 when I filled up in Chandigarh today morning. From Chandigarh, I have climbed up to Shimla. Most of the drive up was in 3rd gear at very sedate speeds. The only annoying thing is the gap between 2nd and 3rd; it can get irritating sometimes.
Old 18th April 2014, 17:31   #2585
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, boring it was. But I had to stick to speed limit because 1) 5 month old baby strapped in to the car seat and 2) warnings of speed cops at various places.

BTW, I got FE of 14.75 when I filled up in Chandigarh today morning. From Chandigarh, I have climbed up to Shimla. Most of the drive up was in 3rd gear at very sedate speeds. The only annoying thing is the gap between 2nd and 3rd; it can get irritating sometimes.
Same here for speed limit, I travel with my wife and a 2 year old Son in baby seat. Second thing is running-in period as my Safari is still under 2500 km.

I have clocked 900 in 11 days and counting for next 2 trips of 300 and 600 km before a actual long/performance test trip to Leh.

The mileage you got is awesome. I got 12 on last full tank which was one suspicious thing and another was big gap between 2nd and 3rd gear so I checked tyre pressure and it was 20 in both rear wheels.

I filled all tyres to 32 PSI and now my Safari it pulling like a tiger on 2nd/3rd gear without much lag (there is still some lag but manageable)

General question to all:

As per information from forum, the running-in period is 2500 here which I will try to cover with all guidelines. However I am still nervous for my Leh trip which is planned on 24th May where I will have to cover around 7000 km under different road and changing weather condition. For first 3 and last 3 days we will have to cover 1000 km per day.

Now only option I have is to hope for the best.

Thoughts?
Old 18th April 2014, 17:39   #2586
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only annoying thing is the gap between 2nd and 3rd; it can get irritating sometimes.
Haven't noticed any such gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
.. I checked tyre pressure and it was 20 in both rear wheels.
A simple pressure gauge should be part of your basic tools. Get on - preferably analog (simple is sufficient).

Quote:
However I am still nervous for my Leh trip which is planned on 24th May where I will have to cover around 7000 km under different road and changing weather condition. For first 3 and last 3 days we will have to cover 1000 km per day.
NOthing to worry about. I did my first long trip soon after my first service. While I didn't climb the mountains, I didn't baby it either. Normal driving should not be a problem.

Regarding speeds during running-in, keep it simple - the (engine) speed should not remain constant for long periods. So keep varying your speed, and you should be fine. By the time you are ready for the big trip, you would be out of the running in. Just go and enjoy your trip. All the best ! And dont you forget the pics
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 17:50   #2587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A simple pressure gauge should be part of your basic tools. Get on - preferably analog (simple is sufficient).

NOthing to worry about. I did my first long trip soon after my first service. While I didn't climb the mountains, I didn't baby it either. Normal driving should not be a problem.

Regarding speeds during running-in, keep it simple - the (engine) speed should not remain constant for long periods. So keep varying your speed, and you should be fine. By the time you are ready for the big trip, you would be out of the running in. Just go and enjoy your trip. All the best ! And dont you forget the pics
Thank you for your usual prompt response

Yes pressure gauge is on list.

Sure, my ownership review will cover everything from running-in period till Leh trip with lots of photos.

Thanks,
Vishal

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 18th April 2014 at 17:59. Reason: text changed
Old 18th April 2014, 19:40   #2588
BHPian

Quote:
Haven't noticed any such gap.
I had posted on this earlier too. The gearing is such that 1st and 2nd are crawlers and 3rd onwards it picks up. There is a substantial gap between 2nd and 3rd. So, in the plains, you tend to ignore this gap as you are on flat ground. However, when you are on a gradient (especially steep and winding ones where you dont want to shoot off too much in 2nd), you tend to lose turbo boost when you change to 3rd, as rpm drops below 1500. So, it is a bit annoying. This problem comes to the fore especially when one is trying to overtake a truck or something with a small gap to dart across. However, overall its not much of a problem; its just an irritant.
Old 18th April 2014, 20:08   #2589
Distinguished - BHPian

Sasi, still trying to figure that out - will try it next time.

During my recent drive to Ooty, where I climbed atleast one steep 36-hairpin bend ghat, I didnt notice a problem. Could be due to the way I change gears ?
Old 18th April 2014, 23:09   #2590
BHPian

Thanks Kaymat, ebonho and sasi.

I am looking forward to it. Also wondering how I (a hatch driver for long) would do with a truck.

Last edited by chinkara : 18th April 2014 at 23:17.
Old 19th April 2014, 05:08   #2591
BHPian

Quote:
I had posted on this earlier too. The gearing is such that 1st and 2nd are crawlers and 3rd onwards it picks up. There is a substantial gap between 2nd and 3rd. So, in the plains, you tend to ignore this gap as you are on flat ground. However, when you are on a gradient (especially steep and winding ones where you dont want to shoot off too much in 2nd), you tend to lose turbo boost when you change to 3rd, as rpm drops below 1500. So, it is a bit annoying. This problem comes to the fore especially when one is trying to overtake a truck or something with a small gap to dart across. However, overall its not much of a problem; its just an irritant.
Agree. The second gear on plains is fine. In fact it has enough power to move the truck from standstill. But when it comes to gradient the 2nd feels low. You need to rev hard if you want to overtake someone while shifting between 2/3rd. I did this across Masinagudi and found it a mild irritant.
Old 19th April 2014, 15:43   #2592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Also wondering how I (a hatch driver for long) would do with a truck.
Congratulations on the booking. Dont worry, I drove an Indica, swift, santro and a fiesta for almost 10 years before buying storme and adjusted in just a couple of days. Its that easy to maneuver.

Quote:

Quote:
Sasi, still trying to figure that out - will try it next time.

During my recent drive to Ooty, where I climbed atleast one steep 36-hairpin bend ghat, I didnt notice a problem. Could be due to the way I change gears ?
@ Sasi, I would agree with condor, it all depends on how you shift, I personally have never felt a gap and turbo lag/delay in kicking even in ghat sections which i have done a few in the 34000 kms. Though driving with this style might shave a km from your mileage. I personally never got more than 12.5!

Quote:
Same here for speed limit, I travel with my wife and a 2 year old Son in baby seat. Second thing is running-in period as my Safari is still under 2500 km. However I am still nervous for my Leh trip which is planned on 24th May where I will have to cover around 7000 km under different road and changing weather condition. For first 3 and last 3 days we will have to cover 1000 km per day.
Don't worry about the 1000km per day, have myself covered 1200km in a single day with my wife and 9 month old princess, storme does it without even breaking sweat or making anyone uncomfortable. Though the thing to worry would be checkup service at 5000 kms. I suggest you get that done before leaving or schedule a service on your way if you can.

Last edited by stormerider : 19th April 2014 at 15:49.
Old 21st April 2014, 14:15   #2593
BHPian

Had a great drive to Ranikhet over the weekend. The truck performed exceptionally well. The raw power even on the steep climb to Ranikhet was done easily. The roads were really bad and on the return journey the last 2 seats (in the rear of the truck) started making squealing sounds which need to be checked. I realised a great new feature, don't know if many of you know about it. If you have the front wipers on and engage the reverse gear, the rear wiper gets activated automatically till the car is in reverse. At first I thought this was a problem but later realised what a boon it was. Apart from this, no problems.
storme'd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 14:47   #2594
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
General question to all:

As per information from forum, the running-in period is 2500 here which I will try to cover with all guidelines. However I am still nervous for my Leh trip which is planned on 24th May where I will have to cover around 7000 km under different road and changing weather condition. For first 3 and last 3 days we will have to cover 1000 km per day.

Now only option I have is to hope for the best.

Thoughts?
Do not miss anything given in owners manual. If owners manual says service at 5000kms, get it done. Even if its on the way.
If you can do around 4000kms before the start of the trip, you can reach Delhi around 4500 and and schedule a quick service.

Since this is just checkup, atleast in Noida I can ask the works manager to have you in and out within 3-4 hours.

If you do not want a wash(takes time), it will take just 1-2 hours max.
If you skip any service, it can result in warranty issues later on.

If you are hitting any other city around 4500-5000kms. I think they can also accommodate you for quick service.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 14:57   #2595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
TSK1979 : do not miss anything given in owners manual. If owners manual says service at 5000kms, get it done. .
+1.
And this includes Wheel alignment, which a few Storme owners may have missed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks