Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2014, 16:18   #2716
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Got a call from TML Pune, asking if wanted to upgrade my Storme to the Explorer edition.
For the items listed, I wasnt intrested in half of them. Naturally said no.

Cost of package: 56k

But feedback for TML:
1. Poor communication & language skills on part of the tele-caller will put off customers. The Storme is supposed to be your flag-ship product. Please market accordingly, and please treat owners accordingly.

2. Most Storme owners would have already got their accessories. There is no point in asking if we want things like art leather seat covers.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th May 2014 at 09:34. Reason: As requested
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 16:31   #2717
Senior - BHPian

The communication from TML is always shoddy - so there is no change after Horizonnext.

Why are they calling existing owners ( of different vintage ) to sell the explorer edition kit ? Maybe this one off variant never took off and they are stuck with quite a lot of pre-ordered kits and someone would have come up with this bright idea to do some telemarketing.

I will be surprised if they sell EVEN 1 kit in this manner - anyways most of the stuff from the kit are of poor quality/finish - they look good ONLY in the promotional pictures where anyways it is digitally enhanced
Old 13th May 2014, 22:15   #2718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Got a call from TML Pune, asking if wanted to upgrade my Storme to the Explorer edition.
For the items listed, I wasnt intrested in half of them. Naturally said no.
I have been toying with the idea of getting the explorer nudge guard fitted ever since I saw pictures of Mr Sardar of Karwar's vehicle. Will they sell it separately and at a discount?
Old 13th May 2014, 22:20   #2719
Distinguished - BHPian

Missed to ask that. Have you compared the Dicor's nudge guard with this one to check which would be better ?
Old 14th May 2014, 11:10   #2720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
I have been toying with the idea of getting the explorer nudge guard fitted ever since I saw pictures of Mr Sardar of Karwar's vehicle. Will they sell it separately and at a discount?
Quote:
Missed to ask that. Have you compared the Dicor's nudge guard with this one to check which would be better ?
Sasi, They do sell it separately but quality and the fitting is very flimsy and the purpose is just show-off rather than saving bumper etc.

The only good items I can find are 2 din head unit, the stickers and the seat covers.
Old 14th May 2014, 11:34   #2721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
The only good items I can find ... the seat covers.
Those are Art-Leather seat covers !!
IMO, the worst choice since it will cause sweating ..
Old 14th May 2014, 11:43   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
Those are Art-Leather seat covers !!
IMO, the worst choice since it will cause sweating ..
Oh ok ! I thought they are good quality. Anyway I am not going for that as I have someone who make good quality upholstery in Pune.

Anybody here using 2 din system from explorer kit ?
Old 14th May 2014, 12:49   #2723
Senior - BHPian

add to that the stickers might look good in photos but look bad on a real vehicle and I saw it peeling off on a display vehicle inside the showroom
Old 15th May 2014, 10:56   #2724
BHPian

Made a quick trip to Mount Abu this weekend, and Storme remained comfortable on all type of roads throughout the 910 km run on NH 76 and NH 14. The surprising part is that I got 13 kpl mileage for the first time, in spite of 10 % bad roads, 10% hilly roads and 80 % highways with 100 - 120 kph norm.
I kept the rear 60% seat folded with a cotton mattress on floor, and kids merrily used this area as their bed, dining area, and playing area; allowing myself and wife to enjoy the trip on comfy front seats. The only thing I now wish is to fit a refrigerator of 8 / 12 L capacity.
On twisting mountain roads (with speed of 30 - 45 kph and frequent overtakes), I found remaining in 2nd gear better than frequent shifting to 3rd and back. On highways, Storme's sweet point is 90 - 110 kph thanks to the excessive wind noise at higher speeds.
The vehicle has developed following minor problems so far-
1) Front passenger door glass vibrates to make an irritating sound when I close the door with glass halfway down.
2) A tic-tic sound (as if two pieces of glass are knocking together) comes from rear left door / boot door when driving on bouncy roads.
3) Right tweeter not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
add to that the stickers might look good in photos but look bad on a real vehicle and I saw it peeling off on a display vehicle inside the showroom
Touch wood, my stickers are holding properly after 4 months of ownership, and I don't think they will peel-off on their own. Of-course the car is parked in a garage and washed / polished by myself.
Exactly as you observed, first time I saw the compass stickers on a White Storme in showroom, these looked cheap, and were peeling-off at some places. But when tried them on my pearl champagne color these looked good, so I went for them. Also, I specifically instructed the SA to leave NO air pockets while putting them on the vehicle, which he followed religiously.
Old 15th May 2014, 11:17   #2725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
3) Right tweeter not working.
Do you mean that you are still on Stock Speakers ??? Change it !
Old 15th May 2014, 12:55   #2726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
The vehicle has developed following minor problems so far-
1) Front passenger door glass vibrates to make an irritating sound when I close the door with glass halfway down.
2) A tic-tic sound (as if two pieces of glass are knocking together) comes from rear left door / boot door when driving on bouncy roads.
I would suggest never to do pt 1 above. For such a large glass area always ensure you close the door with the glass fully up or fully down. I have followed this for all my cars

I too face the same issue as pt 2 above and I presume this is what everyone reports as the famous rattling issue which can be fixed apparently only using insulation tape. I havent tried this yet. During the 3rd service they did something and the sound went off only to return within 3-4 days from the service.
Old 15th May 2014, 13:31   #2727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would suggest never to do pt 1 above. For such a large glass area always ensure you close the door with the glass fully up or fully down. I have followed this for all my cars
Its a design flaw which is there in 2.2 also even with redesigned channels. Eventually it leads to failure of the power window system(Jamming etc.,) over 4-5 years of use.

Many other cars can be driven with glass half down and will not vibrate even when glass area is large. Its a channel design problem. Its partially fixed in later 2.2 and Storme with redesigned channels, but there is no secondary supporting rod (cost cutting) due to which the problem was partially fixed.

In earlier 2.2s the problem was so bad that many safari's had misaligned window glass after a year of driving. A retro was issued. Due to earlier design constraints, they could not make a major overhaul, and did some "fix" i.e. an incremental fix.

Redesign would have meant changing everything.
Understood, with 2.2 not a practical option, but with Storme they should have done the proper fix with a new design instead of cutting cost by having an existing system. I guess the vendor price for components must have been quite low and Tata decided to cut costs since 90% of users will drive with windows fully rolled up
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 13:58   #2728
BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean that you are still on Stock Speakers ??? Change it !
You are right in your assumption. I'm yet to buy a new set of speakers.

Quote:

I too face the same issue as pt 2 above and I presume this is what everyone reports as the famous rattling issue which can be fixed apparently only using insulation tape. I havent tried this yet. During the 3rd service they did something and the sound went off only to return within 3-4 days from the service.
I also don't do it often, but this sound appears only with front passenger door so came to my notice.
The tic-tic sound is sure not due to door latches, as I've ruled-it-out by putting insulation tape on boot as well as rear doors. Further, pushing / pulling door handles from inside doesn't make this sound, so the source may be something else.
Old 15th May 2014, 16:32   #2729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its a design flaw which is there in 2.2 also even with redesigned channels. Eventually it leads to failure of the power window system(Jamming etc.,) over 4-5 years of use.

Many other cars can be driven with glass half down and will not vibrate even when glass area is large. Its a channel design problem. Its partially fixed in later 2.2 and Storme with redesigned channels, but there is no secondary supporting rod (cost cutting) due to which the problem was partially fixed.

In earlier 2.2s the problem was so bad that many safari's had misaligned window glass after a year of driving. A retro was issued. Due to earlier design constraints, they could not make a major overhaul, and did some "fix" i.e. an incremental fix.

Redesign would have meant changing everything.
Understood, with 2.2 not a practical option, but with Storme they should have done the proper fix with a new design instead of cutting cost by having an existing system. I guess the vendor price for components must have been quite low and Tata decided to cut costs since 90% of users will drive with windows fully rolled up
You are spot on as always.

In my Storme too off and on when the front tow window glasses are taken up or down completely, at the last second (before final position of rest) there is a khatak sound, instead of smooth no sound.

When I point it out to them, they do some adjustments, lubricate the beading, the sound goes and the windows move smoothly.

But again sometimes without any reason the thing reappears.

Its obvious that it is a glass in channel movement issue. Am wondering whether to make a big stink about this now.

One of the doors of my Baleno (right rear) had the issue of the lock/unlock tuddi in the door sill not coming up completely when you shut off the car or unlock it with the remote from outsid. As a result one cannot open that door (from inside or outside).

Told the Chowgule folk about this many times. They kept adjusting/repairing in the early years (while car was in warranty). The problem went away, I forgot about it.

Now when the problem reappears and car is not in warranty they tell me they cannot repair it anymore and the whole power window mechanism (costing some 10-15K) has to be replacesd.ng out the service history and telling them that this has been a repeat issue from the car's early days.

Don't want something similar with the Storme. No way.

No sense pointi
Old 15th May 2014, 17:21   #2730
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Don't want something similar with the Storme. No way.

No sense pointi
Lemme tell you my experience
I had problem with the power windows both left and right.
They kept adjusting.

As the vehicle went out of warranty, they said channels have to be changed(to new version).

I raised a stink and stuff, and finally goodwill warranty was offered on Drivers side channel where it was changed to newer version. Left one wasn't. So I kept it as is and it soft of works fine. I cannot raise glass if car is above 60-70kmph. So if window is down, I need to slow down otherwise the air suction makes glass pop put and not close fully.

Another option is to use the tiny suction cups thingy and keep the glass pulled in while rolling it up. We are the king of Jugaad

I suggest you ask them to change the channels. Tell them you are not going to accept repair since it hasn't worked. Raise a stink and get the entire mechanism changed. Its your right as a customer.

I got half my engine changed when they could not pinpoint RPM fluctuation problem along with the common rail etc., After months of workshop visits and frustration, the Tata engineer offered this option. Lets change "everything". No bamboo, no flute.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks