Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2014, 07:22   #2746
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Secondly, I was hoping to fit a centre front armrest, anyone in this forum tried hand on that? I believe the console itself is quite wide for an universal armrest to be fitted.
The space between the front seats is fairly wide and you will have to get a custom arm rest fabricated. But I am not sure how it will look. I dont think anyone has done it yet.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 09:36   #2747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Jasmeet a bit off topic but how were the roads from del to nainital. I'm going next weekend so any pointer would be helpful
Hi Himanshu

Actually I had gone to Jim corbett for two days and from there someone suggested that one day can be spent conveniently in Nainital. So I went to nainital from Jim corbett.

Roads to Jim corbett from Delhi are really good except fora 50 kms patch of Thakurdwar to Kashipur. That was pretty horrible.

The road from Jim corbett to Nainital is really awesome. There are two routes - one from Haldwani and another from Kaladungi. I took the latter one as the former is a bit crowded. The route from Kaladungi is amazingly smooth and less crowded. The only negative is that the hills are steeper as this route is shorter. So your car will run mainly on 2nd and 3rd gear most of the time. It took approximately 2 hours from Corbett to nainital.
Old 24th May 2014, 10:26   #2748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
May be XUVs ill-famed brakes and lower driving position are not-so-confidense-inspiring as those of Storme.
Well the brake problem has been sorted out in the XUV with a change of brake pads under warranty. These are of softer material and hence the bite has improved over the previous ones.
Old 24th May 2014, 10:43   #2749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Well the brake problem has been sorted out in the XUV with a change of brake pads under warranty. These are of softer material and hence the bite has improved over the previous ones.
I think it's the gearing that makes the difference. The XUV with six gears doesn't have a useable range in the normal highway speeds that we are used to, which is 90-110 kmph. I think the 5th is too short and 6th is too long for cruising at these speeds. That's where the Storme trumps the XUV. However, if our roads allowed cruising at 130 and above continuously, I am sure the XUV will be the winner.
Old 24th May 2014, 11:09   #2750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
I think it's the gearing that makes the difference. The XUV with six gears doesn't have a useable range in the normal highway speeds that we are used to, which is 90-110 kmph. I think the 5th is too short and 6th is too long for cruising at these speeds. That's where the Storme trumps the XUV. However, if our roads allowed cruising at 130 and above continuously, I am sure the XUV will be the winner.
Well it would be pointless to have a 6th gear if it were not tall then isn't it ? I mean, look at the 6 speed I 20 CRDI too, its clicking at a shade less than 2000 rpm in 6th gear at 100 kmph, but isn't that what makes it a relaxed cruiser ? I wish the Swift D too had a 6th gear, at 120 kmph, I would love to cruise at 2000 or 2100 rpm instead of the 2450 around which it cruises now.

Also I guess driving style plays a huge role, my dad when he drove the I20 CRDI, He kept hovering between 5th and 6th gear and did not like it, at the same time, I loved the 6th gear advantage.
Old 24th May 2014, 11:24   #2751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
May be XUVs ill-famed brakes and lower driving position are not-so-confidense-inspiring as those of Storme.
But I thought a lower driving position (like Aria, XUV) should aid and not deduct from confidence. Front-on the XUV looks lower and broader at its base than the Storme does front-on. Or maybe its an optical thing because the Storme is taller (both the roof and the bonnet - respectively).
Old 24th May 2014, 14:26   #2752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
Hi Himanshu

Actually I had gone to Jim corbett for two days and from there someone suggested that one day can be spent conveniently in Nainital. So I went to nainital from Jim corbett.

Roads to Jim corbett from Delhi are really good except fora 50 kms patch of Thakurdwar to Kashipur. That was pretty horrible.

The road from Jim corbett to Nainital is really awesome. There are two routes - one from Haldwani and another from Kaladungi. I took the latter one as the former is a bit crowded. The route from Kaladungi is amazingly smooth and less crowded. The only negative is that the hills are steeper as this route is shorter. So your car will run mainly on 2nd and 3rd gear most of the time. It took approximately 2 hours from Corbett to nainital.
Thanks Jasmeet.... This is quite helpful!
Old 25th May 2014, 07:07   #2753
BHPian

I want to fit a good fridge in my Storme, which could be used to store food items (rather than drinks) for kids over medium to long periods. The Waeco model (being sold by TATA) appears too small on inside given its exterior dimensions.
Through online search I've shortlisted Tropicool 12 AD (cools to -5 °C) & 18 AD (cools to 5 °C) models, but haven't seen any of them in flesh. Has anybody on this forum used them or any other brand?
Suggestions are requested regarding reliability, usability and best place to keep one inside the Storme. (And whether I should buy one at all )
Old 25th May 2014, 09:44   #2754
BHPian

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

I bought my fridge from reliance auto zone late last year. It's tropicool and a decent size (don't remember exact specs). Am not too happy as it only keeps the stuff slightly cool and not cold. It set me back by close to 13K and have hardly used it trice till then only on log distance trips. It's got the cool and well as hot functions and comes with a 2 year warranty. . Hope this helps. To be honest, it will only be used on long drives and depending on how many you do in summers, you can take a call. Having bought one, I have realised, I could have easily have lived without it.

Last edited by storme'd : 25th May 2014 at 09:45.
storme'd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 11:28   #2755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
I bought my fridge from reliance auto zone late last year. It's tropicool and a decent size (don't remember exact specs). Am not too happy as it only keeps the stuff slightly cool and not cold. It set me back by close to 13K and have hardly used it trice till then only on log distance trips. It's got the cool and well as hot functions and comes with a 2 year warranty. . Hope this helps. To be honest, it will only be used on long drives and depending on how many you do in summers, you can take a call. Having bought one, I have realised, I could have easily have lived without it.
Thanks for that feedback Storme'd. I bought the 15 liter Waeco from Tata, and I have the same issue. Mildly cool. Forget chilled. Disappointed. So thought of selling the Waeco on OLX and getting a proper fridge (the Waeco is a car cooler which is supposed to cool contents about 20-25 degrees below the ambient temperature only) like the Tropicool (which claims -5 degrees. But if the Tropicool also does the same that my Waeco does, especially when it costs nearly 3-4 times the cost of my Waeco (which was about 4.5K) then I'll hold on to the Waeco and temper my expectations of chilled drinks while touring.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 11:38   #2756
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks for that feedback Storme'd. I bought the 15 liter Waeco from Tata, and I have the same issue. Mildly cool. Forget chilled. Disappointed. So thought of selling the Waeco on OLX and getting a proper fridge (the Waeco is a car cooler which is supposed to cool contents about 20-25 degrees below the ambient temperature only) like the Tropicool (which claims -5 degrees. But if the Tropicool also does the same that my Waeco does, especially when it costs nearly 3-4 times the cost of my Waeco (which was about 4.5K) then I'll hold on to the Waeco and temper my expectations of chilled drinks while touring.
The Car AC system grill temperature is around 4.5 degree C, even in peak summer. I think if some kind of system to directly route part of AC air to a container can be devised, it can keep 3-4 drinks cool. Glove box coolers work this way only.

Lemme give you my example.
Peak summers and we had a bottle of flavored cold milk(1 liter) at room temp of around 35 degree C.
I kept it on the rear AC vents in such a way that the top half got cold air. 2 hours later, it was totally chilled
Old 26th May 2014, 11:54   #2757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The Car AC system grill temperature is around 4.5 degree C, even in peak summer. I think if some kind of system to directly route part of AC air to a container can be devised, it can keep 3-4 drinks cool. Glove box coolers work this way only.

Lemme give you my example.
Peak summers and we had a bottle of flavored cold milk(1 liter) at room temp of around 35 degree C.
I kept it on the rear AC vents in such a way that the top half got cold air. 2 hours later, it was totally chilled
Also the material of the bottle makes a difference. Glass bottles get colder much quicker compared to PET ones. Somehow I was ambitious and had visions of a proper ice box in the SUV, with proper frost formation and chilled bottles. 2 hours is a lot of time. My Waeco does its job properly within 20-30 minutes of running. The only issue is that after that, regardless of if you are driving all day, the temperature stays like that.

Btw, its pretty spacious. Especially if you fold up the top tray and remove the lower bottle holder grill. It fits in quite a lot.
Old 26th May 2014, 13:13   #2758
BHPian

Stormed, please throw some more light on the issue by identifying model number of your Tropicool. Even though I don't expect ice formation, the model claiming -5 deg cooling (12 ad) should chill the bottle pretty soon. (Won't mind pre-cooling the fridge through 220v outlet either, as my purpose is to store snacks/food items). Further perhaps better cooling can be achieved if 12 V suppy could be extended to it directly from battery, with a separate switch.
Old 27th May 2014, 22:16   #2759
BHPian

My White elephant completed 1100 kms as on today, due for 1st service and biggest task for me was identifying good TASC given that so many service quality issues reported by many people. Did some quick search on Team-BHP and bumped across a thread on Green Track Service Center near silk board with some neutral feedback posted by fellow members on the quality of service. Since my house is around 2 kms away from Silk board i thought Green Track kind of suited me.

Headed towards green track location only to be informed by concorde motors that the place is closed and they have another service center near Kudlu Gate, Bharani Industrial Estate. With fingers crossed headed towards Concorde Motors TASC kudlu gate location.

I was greeted there by Service Manager Mr. Prem. I liked his professionalism and attentiveness. Since this was 1st service i did not even have minor issues to report except for very small concern that both RHS and LHS rear view power mirrors would make some squeaking sound while opening and closing. The issue was resolved after the service.

I was also briefed on the Gold AMC by Mr. Prem. based on number of miles i plan to munch on an average per year (around 10000 kms/year), he suggested me a package of 40000 kms/5 years which will cost me approx. Rs. 20000 including extended warranty!. This AMC and extended warranty thingy is very confusing i must admit especially with a kind of person like me who is very poor in math.
lazybrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 13:17   #2760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
I was also briefed on the Gold AMC by Mr. Prem. based on number of miles i plan to munch on an average per year (around 10000 kms/year), he suggested me a package of 40000 kms/5 years which will cost me approx. Rs. 20000 including extended warranty!. This AMC and extended warranty thingy is very confusing i must admit especially with a kind of person like me who is very poor in math.
That is not correct.

Gold 40,000 kms and 4 (not 5) years costs Rs. 19,895/-.

Extended Warranty costs 7,500/- and needs to be bought separately.

These are Tata Value Service rates, and dealers cannot charge different on their own. Please confirm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks