Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2014, 08:56   #1996
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Yesterday, I test drove Storme, Araia & XUV500 back to back. The Aria was best in terms of comfort, handling & ride. The Storme came second for comfort & handling. But when you look at the kit offered on the XUV, it makes the storme looks like it is stripped to it's underwear.

Tata has a product with a good potential. They just need to get a bit more realistic about what they need to offer vis-a-vis the competition.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 09:09   #1997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
Yes the net has been eliminated now. IMHO, GPS based tracker will be a good investment for security.
Have you considered Teflon coating / lamination / any protection strips for bumpers ?
Sir, I am planning to check out some accessories today at a recommended shop here in Gurgaon. Let me see what they have. I am not much of an accessories enthusiast, but things that may help prevent nicks and bruises are definitely welcome.
Is the teflon coating (I am guessing it's the underbody coating that you are referring to) a necessity in dry places like Gurgaon? Also, is there any over body coat for the paint? Since we all have the customary 'gaadi safai walla' who uses God only knows what water and what cloth, is it a good idea to get paint protection done? How much would it cost? I ask since I have already stretched my budget in acquiring my beast, so have to be careful what I spend on.
I am still not sure about the security device; tracker, improvised tracker or alarm system or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
My observation is similar to Sasi's. Very fast initially, very slow from about 2/3 to 1/3, then fast, but not as fast as the first 1/3
I have been observing a similar trend in various Indicas, therefore I mentioned it. In my car, the needle is yet to budge from the F mark (since its only 110km so far). Will observe and report.

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th January 2014 at 23:01. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/MULTI-QUOTE within 30 minutes of posting.
Old 5th January 2014, 09:20   #1998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
I have been observing a similar trend in various Indicas, therefore I mentioned it. In my car, the needle is yet to budge from the F mark (since its only 110km so far). Will observe and report.
If this is your observation, ur fuel tank was fitted by the same guy who did Condor's and mine was done by another chap
Old 5th January 2014, 09:41   #1999
BHPian

Just for fun: the car shaped little chocolates from Concorde. Quite nice and tasty, different flavors too. Good fun!

Name:  ForumRunner_20140105_093658.png
Views: 1338
Size:  451.5 KB
sasi405 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 10:10   #2000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the teflon coating (I am guessing it's the underbody coating that you are referring to) a necessity in dry places like Gurgaon? Also, is there any over body coat for the paint?
Teflon is over-body. Under-body is anti-rust (Wuerth / 3M etc)

Quote:
.. is it a good idea to get paint protection done? How much would it cost?
9k @ 3M

Quote:
In my car, the needle is yet to budge from the F mark (since its only 110km so far).
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
If this is your observation, ur fuel tank was fitted by the same guy who did Condor's and mine was done by another chap
No, no ! Not as much as Sasi's. The needle in my Storme doesn't sit tight at Full that long (110km)
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 11:02   #2001
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the teflon coating (I am guessing it's the underbody coating that you are referring to) a necessity in dry places like Gurgaon? Also, is there any over body coat for the paint?
Teflon is for the paint, anti rust is for the underbody.
Teflon as sold by dealers is nothing more than a rubbing + polishing pack for an year or so, being sold with a fancy name. They will basically polish your car whenever it goes for service. Yes its convenient, but you can do the same yourself for one tenth the price by buying some Turtle wax and sparing a couple of hours on Sundays.

Anti rust, again, is a rubberized paint sprayed onto the underbody. Its effectiveness is debatable, and I will not suggest it. Especially for the high GC Storme, which will not scrape its underbelly and loose the chassis paint.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 11:35   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Since we all have the customary 'gaadi safai walla' who uses God only knows what water and what cloth, is it a good idea to get paint protection done?
For all my cars and bikes I've never trusted any safaiwala other than YGarg , a gentle cleaner (like ezee) with some soft cloth & brushes, and Furmula1 Wax. Never tried paint protection nor under-body coat so far since I'm also a desert dweller!
As for accessories, I think a black nudge guard is the only must-have now, as you've already got the visors and parking sensors.
P.S. Chocolates look aerodynamic, however for SUV owners TATA can consider SUV shape also !
YGarg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 15:18   #2003
Senior - BHPian

In my TCIC too, the first quarter and the last quarter in the fuel gauge move slowly, the middle two quarters are fast. The gauge is pretty accurate too, never once got stranded without fuel

For security, a GPS based navigation device is the best. People have begun using something as simple as a 1000 bucks Nokia phone. The trick is this, buy a Nokia or any other phone with long standby time. Turn off all rings and vibrations, put a SIM in from Vodafone or any other service provider who has excellent connectivity, then place the phone in a concealed part of the car. The only catch is you have to remember to recharge the phone battery every 15 days or so. If the unfortunate thing happens, share the number with the Cops, they should be able to zero in on the vehicle in no time
Old 5th January 2014, 20:15   #2004
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Almost all vehicles for TATA come with under body coat. no need for any additional coat. this is what was told to me by sales guy at Concorde, Bangalore in 2008 during the purchase of Indica Vista.

It is 5.5 years , my car has scrapped speed breakers several times. I have checked under body last week, no rust at all. at few places the original coat by TATA has peeled off due to scrapping. Otherwise the under body is absolutely fine. My car has traversed the nation across several states in all seasons. It was parked under sun daily for almost all these years
Old 6th January 2014, 20:05   #2005
BHPian

Did my first regular day run today. Odo at start 116km. Odo back home 232km. So, its run exactly 116km today. Two observations; opinions welcome:

1. Between 80kmph and 95kmph in 5th, there is a very slight booming / resonance coming from the rear somewhere. Is it normal? Its only in 5th gear.
2. Something in the roof mounted rear ac unit (or adjoining area) just above my head (driver side), is making a very small rattle. What could it be?

200km came up at the 3/4th tank mark, after having filled the full 55L first time.
Old 6th January 2014, 20:52   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
1. Between 80kmph and 95kmph in 5th, there is a very slight booming / resonance coming from the rear somewhere. Is it normal? Its only in 5th gear.
I've noticed an increase in wind noise at the above mentioned speeds. Are you talking about that?

Quote:
200km came up at the 3/4th tank mark, after having filled the full 55L first time.
I'm a bit surprised! My needle just crossed the 1/2 way mark at 381! Are you driving the Storme as a diesel should be driven?
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 20:56   #2007
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....Is the teflon coating (I am guessing it's the underbody coating that you are referring to) a necessity in dry places like Gurgaon? Also, is there any over body coat for the paint? Since we all have the customary 'gaadi safai walla' who uses God only knows what water and what cloth, is it a good idea to get paint protection done? How much would it cost?
I suggest paint protection. Since it's going to be washed by others, it's nice to have this coating.

Skip teflon please!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 22:15   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post

I've noticed an increase in wind noise at the above mentioned speeds. Are you talking about that?

I'm a bit surprised! My needle just crossed the 1/2 way mark at 381! Are you driving the Storme as a diesel should be driven?
It could be wind noise. I have no prior experience with a Safari, so have no idea.
About the fuel, what I meant was the truck has gone 200km on a quarter tank of fuel. Guess that tallies up with your figure.
Old 6th January 2014, 22:57   #2009
BHPian

I am potential Storme buyer sometime in 2014. Went to Concord near Dairy Circle today. Spent just a few minutes there as they were closing.

An interesting thing the sales guy told me regarding the 2014 model Stormes:

1. The two base base variants will come without a music system.
2. The VX will not have the 2 video screens for the rear passengers. However, they will add them as accessories for approx 21,000 rupees!

Apparently, nothing else has changed.
He did not mention anything about any price changes.

Why is Tata doing this? As it is, there are enough of us who complain that the Storme does not have enough gadgets for its price and now this! Also, can anyone confirm this news?

My thanks in advance.
Old 6th January 2014, 23:12   #2010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa View Post
1. The two base base variants will come without a music system.
2. The VX will not have the 2 video screens for the rear passengers. However, they will add them as accessories for approx 21,000 rupees!
1. Haven't heard of this from anyone yet!

2. If I am not wrong, the VX does not have infotainment screens for the rear passengers as of now as well.

Most Viewed