Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2014, 18:56   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Guys remember we had a discussion some time back whether the missile silo type hub caps of the Dicor would fit on the pressed steel wheels of the Storme?

They do not. The spokes of the two wheels are different, and the Storme spokes bases overlap on the area where the missile silo would sit.

Checked physically with the missile silo hub caps (of another Dicor) and my wheels while they were off for rotation at the workshop.

Btw, if your hub caps are slightly loose (my two rear ones were), they can be nicely tightened to make them more secure from falling of on the move.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 20:42   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Himanshu, just one question - who will drive the vehicle ? If it is only your wife's sister, then I hope she's comfortable with the size of Storme/ XUV in city traffic.
Yes condor only she will drive it most of the time

Maybe 10 percent of the time her father may

Her current drive is a scorpio that shes been driving for five years so size not an issue

She wants something more refined than scorpio
Old 14th January 2014, 21:12   #2103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post

The sound you observed is with clutch pressed or without? Is it from the first day or developed later? Is it loud enough to be heard or audible only when paying attention?
BTW The FE you're getting is amazing.
The sound is when / after I release the clutch. It was not very prominent initially, but I guess since I have run more than 800km already, it may have increased. 'Paying attention' is a bad habit that I have since my Peugeot days and so I can't help but notice noises and other sounds. In fact, I don't even play music unless family is travelling. I like to listen to the engine. With the turbo in the Storme, it's even better!
Old 14th January 2014, 23:02   #2104
Senior - BHPian

Guys how much can you push 2nd gear to? 40 kmph is what I find comfortable. After that the rpm rises all the way to 3K rpm but the speed barely rises to 45-50 kmph. Is this normal?
Old 14th January 2014, 23:31   #2105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Guys how much can you push 2nd gear to? 40 kmph is what I find comfortable. After that the rpm rises all the way to 3K rpm but the speed barely rises to 45-50 kmph. Is this normal?
same here. After 40 the sound it too high as well is the rpm but speed hardly increases beyond 50. I am facing another problem / concern. I can feel a lot of noise from the engine for quite a while. I think its like the tappet sound. Is this normal? It does become low when the temp needle reaches the middle but is still there though faint. What could be the reason here?
storme'd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 00:35   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Though the gear ratios are different between the 2.2 dicor and the storme, I can tell you that 2nd gear pushed beyond 40kph is going to be noisy for sure. The power/torque delivery in the diesels will slow down when rpms go beyond the optimal zone which may explain the slow climb in speed beyond 40kph. I used to shift up at about 30-35kph since the 3rd gear was pretty handy with the dicor and could manage all the way upto 80kph when pushed.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 06:13   #2107
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, why do you want to stretch the 2nd gear to beyond 40 ? Beyond 40, you will get better response in 3rd for both speed & FE.

From the owner's manual, the speeds for 2nd gear are upto 45 kmph. But I feel that's too late.

I up-shift to 3rd by 35.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 08:00   #2108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, why do you want to stretch the 2nd gear to beyond 40 ? Beyond 40, you will get better response in 3rd for both speed & FE.

From the owner's manual, the speeds for 2nd gear are upto 45 kmph. But I feel that's too late.

I up-shift to 3rd by 35.
I had mentioned this in an earlier post. The gap between 2nd and 3rd is quite wide. This is to help lugging power, for both starting off on a full load as also for climbing on full load at slow speeds (imagine driving on narrow twisty mountain roads with a lot of steep climbs). This gap is certainly annoying in city traffic, as 2nd is too slow and buzzy at 35-40kmph and 3rd at 30-35kmph makes the vehicle groan and vibrate. This is the same case with the XUV, but since it has closer ratios after 3rd (due to the extra 6th gear at the other end), it doesn't groan. However, the XUV is a little more difficult to handle in the city, since the jump from 2nd to 3rd is quite pronounced and can catch you off guard.
I try not to accelerate too fast in 2nd; when I get a comfortable opening in the traffic, I press on just a little more for the momentum and shift to 3rd. I have observed that 2.5K to 2.7K is the max 2nd is comfortable in.
sasi405 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 09:31   #2109
Senior - BHPian

storme'd, amol, condor, sasi, good points guys and thank you for confirming. I do not want to push the 2nd any more than she will comfortably go. But I just wanted to make sure this was the same on all Stormes and not just mine. Basically I wanted to put to rest my fear that my clutch was slipping with all that shor sharaba and no progress.

Yes there is a biggish jump between 2nd and 3rd and yes the 3rd is really free revving as well as punchy - much more than 4th I feel (which is a high gear version of 2nd to put it crudely) - and then the 5th is really free revving and punchy all over again (a better high gear version of 3rd).

In fact in heavy traffic at near slowdown speeds, I find even 2nd too tall and need to control the speed with the brakes and the clutch, before having to move into 1st, which is the only real gear you can crawl in.

So I guess Sasi is right. 2nd is only useful in the city for going over speed breakers and moving up to 3rd from 1st. And on the open roads probably for tight twisting ghats with very steep sections and switchbacks.

Thanks once again for your inputs guys!

Last edited by ebonho : 15th January 2014 at 09:34.
Old 15th January 2014, 16:54   #2110
BHPian

Friends, need help for PDI (expecting in a few days) in addition to the T-Bhp checklist:
1) Can I take a test drive of my vehicle during PDI (i.e. before full payment)?
2) Should I pay any further amount to dealer after PDI but before taking delivery?
3) Which month (2013) production should I expect? If older than expected, can I refuse to accept the car on this ground?
4) Any other points to be careful about (TATA / Storme specific)?
Old 15th January 2014, 17:23   #2111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
Friends, need help for PDI (expecting in a few days) in addition to the T-Bhp checklist:
1) Can I take a test drive of my vehicle during PDI (i.e. before full payment)?
2) Should I pay any further amount to dealer after PDI but before taking delivery?
3) Which month (2013) production should I expect? If older than expected, can I refuse to accept the car on this ground?
4) Any other points to be careful about (TATA / Storme specific)?
Garg Saab, here are my responses (since I am probably the latest person here to take delivery in recent times):

1) Yes, you can. You will have to insist on one. In fact, you should call up your SA and make sure he notes it down.
2) Are you paying full cash down? If so, I am sure you can insist on paying only after you are satisfied with the PDI.
3) Since you have booked your vehicle through paying the booking amount, you can ask the SA to tell you the VIN No. You can check the VIN and ensure production month. Though I don't think they will give you a vehicle that's more than 2 months old, you can always refuse if its older (especially if you are the 'cash down' customer).
4) Check that everything (lights, electricals, horn etc etc) are all working. Though its winter, you should switch on both ACs and ensure that cooling is good.

I leave it to others for any other points that may be of interest.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 17:55   #2112
Senior - BHPian

Of course you can and should test drive the vehicle bro. In fact they offer you the same within the premises of the workshop (round loop around the whole complex of industrial sheds). Just to remind you, there is a pre-registration check list also in addition to the PDI checklist. Do both. A lot less complications refusing a vehicle pre registration. After registration (PDI) you have to take the vehicle, though they would still be liable to take care of what you observe and point out. But the chassis and engine and cabin now are yours. That is the major difference fom what I got of the whoole process. It is painful, it is hugely time consuing (keep a whole day - it took me two), and it is something you want to get over with and enjoy your first drive home or to the temple / agyari. But its necessary, and builds rapport as well. Give praise , give small gifts, figure out who the important/useful people for the future are, etc. Nothing new. Its like any other big fat Indian wedding. LOL
Old 15th January 2014, 18:57   #2113
BHPian

1000km up, today morning @ 11:07AM.
Attached Images

Last edited by sasi405 : 15th January 2014 at 18:59.
Old 15th January 2014, 21:01   #2114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
1000km up, today morning @ 11:07AM.
Sasi
Congrats but pls do start an ownership thread. It helps in ensuring user experiences are documented in separate threads and helps prospective buyers to easily access relevant info as a part of their decision making. Thanks

Last edited by narayan : 15th January 2014 at 21:04.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 21:39   #2115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Sasi
Congrats but pls do start an ownership thread. It helps in ensuring user experiences are documented in separate threads and helps prospective buyers to easily access relevant info as a part of their decision making. Thanks
I agree. Sasi you are an active poster, and quite technical as well, so am sure your thread will not be a neglected relic! This thread is great for collective experiences and questions, while our individual ownership threads are records of each individual Storme and the overall journey. Start it bro!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks