Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2014, 12:54   #2071
BHPian

As my Storme will be coming without factory fitted music system, I'll have to buy it separately. Is there any good option in the market along with Alpine / Blaupunct that Tata is selling? I want someting that could be connected to reversing cam also as I don't want to invest in separate display.
Old 12th January 2014, 13:50   #2072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
Thanks narayan.
I got 30 k discount as Jan offer, 15 k discount from dealer incl corporate, and no free insurance. Now EX and LX are coming without music system (strange! can anybody confirm it?). He also informed that there is a price hike of 2% from Monday but committed to charge me for present price only if I book it right now. I know such marketing tricks of these people well, still I booked it for the heart reasons.
That's a tidy discount . Exactly what I had got 4 months back. Price hike could be true because all manufacturers are doing it and so TML will also do it. But I'm shocked to hear that the music system is not offered in the Lx/Ex ! Are you sure about this ? Anyway if you are the audio types anyway you would have upgraded so doesn't matter. What about the net in the boot ?
Old 12th January 2014, 14:20   #2073
BHPian

Please get a zero dep insurance from outside. It will still be cheaper than the non zero dep one from the dealer.
Old 12th January 2014, 15:29   #2074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...got 30 k discount as Jan offer, 15 k discount from dealer incl corporate, and no free insurance. Now EX and LX are coming without music system (strange! can anybody confirm it?). He also informed that there is a price hike of 2% from Monday but committed to charge me for present price only if I book it right now...
Quote:
...Exactly what I had got 4 months back. Price hike could be true because all manufacturers are doing it and so TML will also do it. But I'm shocked to hear that the music system is not offered in the Lx/Ex ! Are you sure about this ? Anyway if you are the audio types anyway you would have upgraded so doesn't matter. What about the net in the boot ?
IIRC what was being offered was quite a decent Alpine system.

Off late TATA's have started slashing features off its products. Dunno why they just couldn't retain the features with a simple price hike rather than skimping on such a basic feature even on the mid variant. Their VFM factor has somewhat scraped off.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 12th January 2014 at 15:30.
Old 12th January 2014, 15:54   #2075
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I causally visited Kota showroom again, got the chance to compare UB, PW & PC side by side, took n'th TD and ended-up booking an EX in Pearl Champagne by the evening! (Followed by a sleep-deprived night, of course). It really was the toughest call to decide among the colors, as every shade looked better than the other from some angle. While myself and my wife were unable to decide, my 8 yr old came to help and decreed to buy PC only! Initially I was hooked to LX, but wife couldn't get comfortable with LX seat, hence EX.
Congrats YGarg. Welcome to the gang. Wish you many happy miles.
storme'd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 05:50   #2076
BHPian

Help Stormers!
As I shared this news with my friends, two of them (being not-so-proud owners of Manza and Indigo, though not knowing much about storme) were surprised the most! The started telling their woes of different recurring failures in these cars, and I must admit I started rethinking about this decision. Being from Mech eng background I can help TASS diagnose the issues if need arises, do some DIY repairs myself, but the fear of frequent failures of any critical component really scares me. I want to keep the SUV for years, hence reliability and good A.S.S. is must for me. As the booking amount is paid, I'm anxious.

Last edited by YGarg : 13th January 2014 at 05:55.
Old 13th January 2014, 07:11   #2077
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

@YGarg, nothing to worry. No major problems have been reported on the Storme. Apart from the running that we have all had, there is one Storme that has already run 60k. That one is not on TBHP .. I think Fortuner71 had shared that info.

If the two guys reported problems on their Manza / Indigo, I will quote a relative's 8 year old Indigo that has crossed 1.8L km now. Or our own 2000 Indica @ 84k & 2004 Marina @ 83k and my 2005 Sumo @ 78k, (currently crossed 92k). The last I heard about the Indica, it had crossed 2.1L km (as per TASS service information).

Last edited by condor : 13th January 2014 at 07:19.
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 07:19   #2078
BHPian

Garg saab, my uncle's Manza from Chennai has already done close to a lakh km, that too on all kinds of roads all across South India.
I don't think there should be any problem with the Storme. The key to long life of any TATA vehicle is regular and timely service, getting any unusual things checked and rectified (instead of waiting for a service to come up) and being vigilant about the vehicle's behaviour. Since you are an engineer yourself, I am sure it's an easy task for you.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 11:41   #2079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Help Stormers!
As I shared this news with my friends, two of them (being not-so-proud owners of Manza and Indigo, though not knowing much about storme) were surprised the most! The started telling their woes of different recurring failures in these cars, and I must admit I started rethinking about this decision. Being from Mech eng background I can help TASS diagnose the issues if need arises, do some DIY repairs myself, but the fear of frequent failures of any critical component really scares me. I want to keep the SUV for years, hence reliability and good A.S.S. is must for me. As the booking amount is paid, I'm anxious.
Just go ahead and buy the vehicle. If you want bargain harder and get some more discount if you can The Storme will serve you well for years
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 16:26   #2080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Help Stormers!
I have been keeping an eagle eye out on many forums (besides Team BHP) on ownership reports on the Storme and I can concur with Condor that nowhere anything serious has been reported. Small things here and there sure, but TATA and the TASCs are on top of things, and warranties have been largely prompt and painless. But the Storme over the past one year of multiple ownerships across the country has proven to be a pretty structurally sound and robust mature package. Stuff inside is simple but quality (exactly the way I would have it), and the understated elegance of the truck really gets appreciated by people who know their vehicles and are not into flash. Hope things continue this way as all of us Storme owners enter into Year 2 of the product.

Last edited by ebonho : 13th January 2014 at 16:29.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 16:37   #2081
Distinguished - BHPian

@YGarg, apart from the what Doc has said, check the last para here, again by Doc:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3343163

(Doc, I would have thought that your friend would have checked the Storme much earlier - both as a current Dicor owner, and since his father's in TML)

I have read atleast 2-3 other such feedback, including one by a ex-Dicor owner who has done quick BBY-BLR runs and can vouch for the maturity of the vehicle.
Old 13th January 2014, 16:40   #2082
BHPian

Quote:
Help Stormers!
As I shared this news with my friends, two of them (being not-so-proud owners of Manza and Indigo, though not knowing much about storme).
Four years ago, I had gone through this with my friends and family when I announced my decision to buy Manza. As of today completed 51000 KM with it and must say the car is a pleasure to own and maintain. Agreed the service people are not as polished or mannered as Maruti, but they are generally honest and willing to help you whenever you go there with a problem. Today we have 2 Manza's and a Vista in our extended family and all the cars are doing well. If you like Storme just go for it .
Old 13th January 2014, 16:53   #2083
BHPian

Thanks a lot condor, ebonho, narayan, sasi, sajanjohn for calming the butterflies of my stomach. I've decided to go ahead with my decision, as even if I try I can't imagine any other vehicle in my garage (& already stretched budget).
Old 13th January 2014, 16:55   #2084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
(Doc, I would have thought that your friend would have checked the Storme much earlier - both as a current Dicor owner, and since his father's in TML)
He had driven a test mule once very briefly way before the official launch inside the factory (sometime in 2011-2012). At that time he had somehow not been impresed, and had commented that the Storme (Merlin at that time) does not "feel like a truck anymore." He was majorly gushing last night though. Among us (Bullet guys and long time friends and riding buddies) there is no formality or pulling punches. If we don't like something we will come out and say it straight, regardless of the fact that the other guy has spent 12.5 lacs on it.

Last edited by ebonho : 13th January 2014 at 16:56.
Old 13th January 2014, 17:32   #2085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

I have been keeping an eagle eye out on many forums (besides Team BHP) on ownership reports on the Storme and I can concur with Condor that nowhere anything serious has been reported. Small things here and there sure, but TATA and the TASCs are on top of things, and warranties have been largely prompt and painless. But the Storme over the past one year of multiple ownerships across the country has proven to be a pretty structurally sound and robust mature package. Stuff inside is simple but quality (exactly the way I would have it), and the understated elegance of the truck really gets appreciated by people who know their vehicles and are not into flash. Hope things continue this way as all of us Storme owners enter into Year 2 of the product.
Going from my experience with the manza (june 2011 till date -35k kms) in bumper to bumper Mumbai traffic and with my given driving style I can say that it has seen lot of abuse and yet there are minimal niggling issues and then looking at a storme which looks far more solidly built (body shell and solid ladder on frame chasis) I can confidently say that storme should turn out to be a very consistent and reliable vehicle out of TML stable
madhu33 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed