Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2014, 01:54   #2011
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa View Post
1. The two base base variants will come without a music system.
IIRC, there were news of another storme variant below LX in the pipeline sometime back. If it turns into reality, maybe it comes without ICE. But if music system from present variants is removed it will be suicidal for this product, and in all probability is unlikely.
Last month a SA told me that the coming models will be with 2-din touchscreen HUs, with GPRS system (that's the word he uses for GPS, I presume ).
In general, TATA SA's info are to be taken with a pinch of salt for good mental health!
Old 7th January 2014, 06:35   #2012
BHPian

I am not at all impressed by the sound quality of the Alpine system. The OE Kenwood in my 7 year old Aveo used to sound much better. How can one enhance the sound? One of the options I am toying with is to put the Blaupunkt Gtb 8A all in one subwoofer and amplifier. Any suggestions?
Old 7th January 2014, 06:57   #2013
Distinguished - BHPian

Sasi - the Alpine is good. Just throw out those speakers and you will see the difference. Please check earlier posts - we have been through that. There is a separate thread too.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 09:45   #2014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
I am not at all impressed by the sound quality of the Alpine system. The OE Kenwood in my 7 year old Aveo used to sound much better. How can one enhance the sound? One of the options I am toying with is to put the Blaupunkt Gtb 8A all in one subwoofer and amplifier. Any suggestions?
Audio quality in a sedan feels much better given the smaller volume of space and closed spaces used to mount speakers e.g. The rear parcel tray which uses the boot as a sound box.. So don't compare.

For the safari, as Condor pointed out, swap the speakers, put in a good amp, and damp the doors, and you will have a equally good audio.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 19:46   #2015
BHPian

Guys I have started feeling my gears are increasingly becoming difficult to slot into place specially the 1st and 2nd. Can this be due to the cold weather or something else? Also the temp needle takes forever to reach the halfway mark, sometimes as much as 20 mins in traffic. Is this normal?
Old 7th January 2014, 19:58   #2016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Guys I have started feeling my gears are increasingly becoming difficult to slot into place specially the 1st and 2nd. Can this be due to the cold weather or something else? Also the temp needle takes forever to reach the halfway mark, sometimes as much as 20 mins in traffic. Is this normal?
One thing I have noticed in the last two days of driving; it takes a good 20-25km before the engine really warms up and becomes smooth.
Also, the temp needle, once it reaches 1/2 mark, doesnt stay there. It goes down if there is a faster stretch and comes back to the mark in bumper to bumper traffic. In all the other cars that I have had, once the needle reaches halfway mark, it stays there regardless of all other conditions.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 22:27   #2017
Senior - BHPian

Have never paid attention to the temperature needle. Will do so now and check. Though I've always seen it bang center.
Old 7th January 2014, 22:35   #2018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Have never paid attention to the temperature needle. Will do so now and check. Though I've always seen it bang center.
Yup once my needle reaches the center it remains there. The only problem nowadays is that it takes forever to reach there.
Old 7th January 2014, 22:44   #2019
BHPian

Quote:
In diesel vehicles, the temp gauge is the most important one. Firstly, diesels run hotter than petrols due to the high compression ratio. Secondly, most diesels have a cast iron block for the same reason above (as opposed to possible aluminium blocks in petrols) and cast iron being a brittle material, is more susceptible to damage if overheated.
I have maintained diesel cars earlier (old cars) and the only gauge that I ensured works properly all the time was the temp gauge.
sasi405 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 08:45   #2020
Senior - BHPian

Could one of you guys please take a photo of the headrests of the front seats versus the middle row ones and put them up here for comparison please?

I have a feeling the guys who did my seat covers have swapped them around but I need to compare with an untouched Storme to be certain.

Thanks!
Old 8th January 2014, 09:00   #2021
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could one of you guys please take a photo of the headrests of the front seats versus the middle row ones and put them up here for comparison please?
I think they are all the same. I have moved them around, and now dont remember which came from where.
Old 8th January 2014, 09:04   #2022
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In diesel vehicles, the temp gauge is the most important one. Firstly, diesels run hotter than petrols due to the high compression ratio. Secondly, most diesels have a cast iron block for the same reason above (as opposed to possible aluminium blocks in petrols) and cast iron being a brittle material, is more susceptible to damage if overheated.
I have maintained diesel cars earlier (old cars) and the only gauge that I ensured works properly all the time was the temp gauge.
. In Safari, even before your temp guage climbs up to be noticeable, the service light comes on and engine goes to limp home mode. So even if your vehicle is overheating, the ecu will detect it before you can and service light will come on.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 09:19   #2023
BANNED

Quote:
With low revving engines, temperatures will never be high, A Safari can cruise at 100kmph but still the rpm remains under 3000. So overheating is never an issue here, also the ECU has the limp home mode which basically saves the engine in case of any issues arising.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 09:22   #2024
BHPian

You are right. The old diesels I had didn't have ECUs. So one had to rely on the temp gauge to ensure things. But I would still keep an eye on the needle; guess it's an old habit! :-)
Old 8th January 2014, 10:13   #2025
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
With low revving engines, temperatures will never be high, A Safari can cruise at 100kmph but still the rpm remains under 3000. So overheating is never an issue here, also the ECU has the limp home mode which basically saves the engine in case of any issues arising.
Actually, high revving or low revving does not matter. If your cooling system has any fault (eg fan not working, low water, water pump issue), the engine will overheat.
If cooling system is fine, high revving engine will also do fine.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks