Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 11:03   #3571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Yes I think you are mistaken , The plastic cowl of the bumper collapses for passenger safety and there is good 8 - 9 inch of space for it to collapse much more then any other car I have seen.

Remove bumper of any European car and you will see steel reinforcement ( actual bumper). There is a thread on T-BHP somewhere which shows difference betweeen European spec Swift and Indian Swift bumpers.
Amit did you see the link posted by @methecupid ? Can you confirm if the steel beam seen in the photo in the Storme is the same thickness / dimensions as that found on the Dicor as mentioned by you?
Old 4th November 2014, 11:07   #3572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Amit did you see the link posted by @methecupid ? Can you confirm if the steel beam seen in the photo in the Storme is the same thickness / dimensions as that found on the Dicor as mentioned by you?
That link opens up explorer edition kit pictures on page 165 of the thread in my browser.

Could you please repost the image using image tag ( second from the left over the edit box )
Old 4th November 2014, 11:08   #3573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please repost the image using image tag ( second from the left over the edit box )
Sure ..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...w-img_2102.jpg
Old 4th November 2014, 11:31   #3574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since this is a front view I can not judge the thickness exactly but the metal cross bar is there and if you notice there is material to absorb impact glued on the metal as well.

In Dicor this cross bar is really strong.
Old 4th November 2014, 13:05   #3575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since this is a front view I can not judge the thickness exactly but the metal cross bar is there and if you notice there is material to absorb impact glued on the metal as well.

In Dicor this cross bar is really strong.
I kind of assumed (it looked like it) that it was part of the metal cross beam itself and made of metal (maybe hollow with in-built crumple zones - as evidenced by the oval shaped holes visible in front).
Old 4th November 2014, 13:29   #3576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
It is a misconception/myth that a heavier vehicle is a safer vehicle. The thinkness of sheetmetal is irrelavant to safety in a car. They key is to to have a proper frame and crumple zones. The heaviness of the bonnet doesn't matter.
Vehicle frame strength and crumple zones are the main elements that constitute to the safety of the vehicle. But, I partially disagree with misconception/myth that has been described for heaviness and the metal sheet gauge contributing to safety of the vehicle.

Japanese and Korean auto manufacturers, use thin metal sheets for doors, bonnet, rear lid etc., to reduce the weight of the car to have high power-to-weight ratio to have better performance and fuel economy. Some Q&A forums say they do have stronger frame/chassis inside and the exterior doors, bonnet, fenders are just skins and add weight to the vehicle is unnecessary. But in actual scenario, if the metal sheet gauge is more, then small pebbles to big stones that impact when a vehicle is in motion do ample amount of damage to these thin skins. Indian Auto Manufacturers like TATA and Mahindra do use high gauge metal sheet.

As an example, some person threw a stone of size 9 to 10 cubic inches approximately (relatively large., should be around 8 to 10 Kg by weight) on my Vista's bonnet when it was parked outside. I had a dent on my bonnet, and the depression of the dent was not much which surprised me when compared to other cars. Heavy gauge bonnet does save engine components and battery in the bay. German (VW), Italian (FIAT) auto manufacturers do use heavy gauge metal sheet. If you consider our Ambassador car, the rate of passengers getting hurt in case of accidents is less. Japanese and Korean cars are sometimes seen where the doors/fenders/read boot lid metal are crumpled/torn with slight impact. These look like if you fold a medicine tablet's aluminium wrapper having multiple crumples. Removal of such dents or repair of these skin components are difficult and may not come to that shape as it was before and the service adviser will advise you for a replacement.

A vehicle should have some substantial weight, but the weight should not be reduced for visualizing for cost reductions, fuel economy at the cost of passenger's safety. Light vehicles when compared to heavy vehicles do spin more in case of a terminal collision. Again there are lots of parameters where the crumple zones of the chassis absorb impact energy.

When we talk about TATA Safari a SUV should has some weight, the high metal gauge adds as an armor to it. It should be like a tank, that is the way it should be.
yogeshnaik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 02:41   #3577
BHPian

Guys after a fairly trouble free run for the last couple of months, the check engine light came on a while back on my way to the airport. After restarting the car, the light disappeared. What could be the possible reason / reasons for the same. Will try and get the same checked tomorrow. Anyone else experienced similar stuff?
Old 6th November 2014, 06:23   #3578
Distinguished - BHPian

@Strome'd, yes - I did have it once a few months ago. Some cleaning at the TASS resolved it.

Quote:
(There was a photo some time back by a member here whose Storme had the front bumper ripped off. I am trying to remember who it was and where I saw it)
Doc - was it Fortuner71's Storme ?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th November 2014 at 12:15.
Old 6th November 2014, 09:23   #3579
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
Vehicle frame strength and crumple zones are the main elements that constitute to the safety of the vehicle. But, I partially disagree with misconception/myth that has been described for heaviness and the metal sheet gauge contributing to safety of the vehicle.

Japanese and Korean auto manufacturers, use thin metal sheets for doors, bonnet, rear lid etc., to reduce the weight of the car to have high power-to-weight ratio to have better performance and fuel economy. Some Q&A forums say they do have stronger frame/chassis inside and the exterior doors, bonnet, fenders are just skins and add weight to the vehicle is unnecessary. But in actual scenario, if the metal sheet gauge is more, then small pebbles to big stones that impact when a vehicle is in motion do ample amount of damage to these thin skins. Indian Auto Manufacturers like TATA and Mahindra do use high gauge metal sheet.

As an example, some person threw a stone of size 9 to 10 cubic inches approximately (relatively large., should be around 8 to 10 Kg by weight) on my Vista's bonnet when it was parked outside. I had a dent on my bonnet, and the depression of the dent was not much which surprised me when compared to other cars. Heavy gauge bonnet does save engine components and battery in the bay. German (VW), Italian (FIAT) auto manufacturers do use heavy gauge metal sheet. If you consider our Ambassador car, the rate of passengers getting hurt in case of accidents is less. Japanese and Korean cars are sometimes seen where the doors/fenders/read boot lid metal are crumpled/torn with slight impact. These look like if you fold a medicine tablet's aluminium wrapper having multiple crumples. Removal of such dents or repair of these skin components are difficult and may not come to that shape as it was before and the service adviser will advise you for a replacement.

A vehicle should have some substantial weight, but the weight should not be reduced for visualizing for cost reductions, fuel economy at the cost of passenger's safety. Light vehicles when compared to heavy vehicles do spin more in case of a terminal collision. Again there are lots of parameters where the crumple zones of the chassis absorb impact energy.

When we talk about TATA Safari a SUV should has some weight, the high metal gauge adds as an armor to it. It should be like a tank, that is the way it should be.
Talking of sheet metal strength, here is my experience
My Indica Vista was parked in my office parking lot. My colleague tried to park his i10 next to mine. He was at a speed of not more than 5-10kmph. i10's left front fender touched my Vista's right front fender in a narrow reverse V angel. My car got slight paint of i10(red) rubbed at the top of wheel well, nothing else. His fender got deformed and head light assembly disengaged. He had to replace both.
rkg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 11:37   #3580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Doc - was it Fortuner71's Storme ?
No buddy, it was Vipul's .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
You must be referring to Vipul's car (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-165.html)
Please help me with my USB drive issue bro .... from the sudden stoppages of playing with 1969 or 1970 appearing on the display (resuming playing after gaps), now it simply keeps showing SEARCHING which finally culminates in NO DEVICE.

The Tuner and Disc are playing great. No problems there.

Last edited by ebonho : 6th November 2014 at 11:40.
Old 6th November 2014, 12:13   #3581
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ebonho : No buddy, it was Vipul's .....
Thanks .. I was refering to Fortuner's Storme when the bumper was opened for some constructive work ..
Old 8th November 2014, 12:43   #3582
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on Storme facelift? what am hearing lately is that the launch maybe in mid 2015 and thier may not be any engine update.

One of my friend is planning to book and was hoping the launch may happen sometime in Jan, but if there is going to be any delay or no engine update he may rather book the current one immediately.

The delay will certainly cost TATA many prospective customers.

Behram Sir, please update us ?
Old 8th November 2014, 15:20   #3583
BHPian

I am negotiating with my dealer on the Storme. Need one help from the members who have opted for Gold AMC.

Our BHP'ian tsk1979 had posted the Gold AMC prices way back in July 2013. I received the AMC from my dealer. But the matrix is very different. The price for 10,000Kms./1 Yr. almost match, but the prices are substantially higher. Can someone please throw some light. Is the Gold AMC dealer specific or TML decides the prices?

Gold-New is what my dealer has sent me. Gold (the table below) is what tsk1979 had posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-goldamc.jpg  

Old 8th November 2014, 18:41   #3584
BHPian

Need to have mine serviced. Any suggestions on where in Siliguri? As in does anyone have an idea on which TASS is more reliable?
Old 11th November 2014, 12:15   #3585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I am negotiating with my dealer on the Storme. Need one help from the members who have opted for Gold AMC.

Our BHP'ian tsk1979 had posted the Gold AMC prices way back in July 2013. I received the AMC from my dealer. But the matrix is very different. The price for 10,000Kms./1 Yr. almost match, but the prices are substantially higher. Can someone please throw some light. Is the Gold AMC dealer specific or TML decides the prices?

Gold-New is what my dealer has sent me. Gold (the table below) is what tsk1979 had posted.
==================================
20,000 | 30,000 | 45,000
1 | 2 | 3
==================================
New 6800 | 15,200 | 38,500
Old 9976 | 14,715 | 37,332
===================================

So it is not drastically different, but a very slight increase from last year. Notice the number of kilometers allowed for both. No of years does not make much difference in price; but the number of kilometers allowed during the period does.

Last edited by teamveevee : 11th November 2014 at 12:17.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks