Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2014, 05:54   #3691
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymant View Post
Hello guys.
A little advice needed. Almost two months earlier when on a fine morning I turned the keys for ignition, the car almost started before everything went dead. Everything means everything. All the lights on the dash went out. Turned the keys a few times but nothing happened. Opened the bonnet, shook the leads from the battery and the power returned. Exactly the same thing happened today evening. However this time I didn't even have to open the bonnet. The moment I got down and closed the door, the power came back.
Have any of you faced this issue? It seems to be a loose connector somewhere, but could it be anything else?
(I haven't gone to the workshop yet for this problem. I am thinking of taking this up with the SA when I go for 15k service later this month.)
Thanks.
That used to happen to my Sierra. The same thing that you mentioned. On long drives! When I took a break and switched off the engine, the Sierra would go dead when I tried to re-start it. The work around was to give it a push-start, and then all things would be normal. This happened 10% of the times only, and I tried everything in the book but could not have the problem rectified

Then I moved on to a Safari. That did not have this problem, but after I changed the battery last month, I have a similar problem. The engine won't start at first crank after being parked for a while. There is no action at all during the first crank, and on the second crank, its BAU. This happens 40% of the times. Another thing that happens is that the clock on the dashboard gets reset after I park the vehicle for a stretch.

I read up stuff on the internet, there is some issue with 'hot-wire' where every vehicle has a wire running from the battery to keep essential systems on even when the key is off. Something like what we have on our lap-tops, even when the machine is shut down, it keeps a track of time etc.

I'm also thinking of brining it up at the next service

Last edited by TheARUN : 30th November 2014 at 05:57. Reason: missing text
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 10:13   #3692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Congrats buddy. Wish you luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hey congratulations! Wish you & your family unlimited happy and safe miles with the polar bear. Perfect name indeed! Doesn't get any nearer!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
Many congratulations on reclaiming your life with the polar bear @hyper-VTEC. Wishing you many a happy, safe and niggle free miles with the beast. Eagerly waiting for the details (decision, delivery and ownership experience) as promised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Congrats and welcome to the Polar Pearl Bear
Thanks everyone. Went to Pondicherry yesterday and Polar Bear performed immaculately. Couldn't snap any photos since it was raining constantly. It was a quick jaunt to rack up the Kms. Odo stands at 497Kms. now. I will be going on vacation 19th Dec and plan to complete 1000 kms and first service before that. I will return on 4th Jan and that would mean the 1 months - 1000-1500Kms service schedule will be missed.

I small niggle, whenever i take turns the steering is brushing against something and it is making some sound, like 2 plastic parts brushing against each other. Planning to get that sorted in first service.

Graduating from a petrol hatch (Swift) to a diesel monster is definitely exciting, but i am getting hang of things and the size mainly.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-storme1.jpg  

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 30th November 2014 at 10:16.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 20:59   #3693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post

I small niggle, whenever i take turns the steering is brushing against something and it is making some sound, like 2 plastic parts brushing against each other. Planning to get that sorted in first service.

Sounds like the stopper bolt issue. Nothing major. But the sound would be more of a metallic than plasticky. Presume this must be at full lock turns ?
Old 30th November 2014, 22:36   #3694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
That used to happen to my Sierra.

Then I moved on to a Safari. That did not have this problem, but after I changed the battery last month, I have a similar problem.

I read up stuff on the internet, there is some issue with 'hot-wire' where every vehicle has a wire running from the battery to keep essential systems on even when the key is off.
It seems that probably the problem is solved. Today the same thing was repeated. Last two times I didn't have time to look carefully. Today I opened the bonnet and some amount of checking revealed that the lead on the negative terminal of the battery had become loose. After tightening it, things seem to be in order so far. And hopefully this should solve the issue completely.
Old 1st December 2014, 14:53   #3695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It seems that probably the problem is solved. Today the same thing was repeated. Last two times I didn't have time to look carefully. Today I opened the bonnet and some amount of checking revealed that the lead on the negative terminal of the battery had become loose. After tightening it, things seem to be in order so far. And hopefully this should solve the issue completely.
Good to know it is resolved. If the terminal & clamp appear "dry", you may want to apply a bit of conductive grease to the pair as well. That will improve conductivity.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 14:53   #3696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Yes. when I cycle through the MID options 0C blinks continuosly. I believe that is because there is no sensor. Someone mentioned it can be added separately, not sure. I personally don't need it.
It is not a temperature sensor. It is meant to remind you to chill while driving...

Last edited by tsk1979 : 1st December 2014 at 14:55. Reason: smily removed
sasi405 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 14:55   #3697
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
It is not a temperature sensor. It is meant to remind you to chill while driving...
Mine is showing -9 degree C. I guess I really really need to chill

Seriously, this sensor is quite funny
Old 1st December 2014, 15:06   #3698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Why clutch change so early. I noticed the same in some other safari's on the forum.
Clutch was not changed, it was only the clutch oil. The brake oil and clutch oil are the same, fed from the same master cylinder. Please note the clarification from my side.
Old 1st December 2014, 16:29   #3699
BHPian

Quote:
Yes You have solved it for sure. I am a bit surprised that with such a loose connection normally the cranking in the morning would be difficult as there will be heavy current drain from battery during cranking and any loose connection normally would result in a strained or slow cranking .

Good that you solved it your self at the comfort of your home rather than getting stuck in traffic or high way.
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 16:52   #3700
BHPian

Has someone got 3D Kagu mats for the truck. I checked at VV car decor at OMR and they are asking 7000 for the beige one. He mentioned twice that it is "original".

Is this the correct price? i was expecting it would be within 5000
How to make out if it is actually "original"
Any other place i can try to source it from in Chennai?
Old 1st December 2014, 23:01   #3701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
I am a bit surprised that with such a loose connection normally the cranking in the morning would be difficult as there will be heavy current drain from battery during cranking and any loose connection normally would result in a strained or slow cranking .
Well, so far there has been no problems in cranking in the morning.
Quote:
Good that you solved it your self at the comfort of your home rather than getting stuck in traffic or high way.
My first thoughts were definitely not so warm and for a while I did panic and thought of calling the SA. But I have this habit of tinkering with things and so I decided to have a look first. This paid.
Another instance where this DIY approach was beneficial for me was when a couple of months back, the RHS wing mirror was hit by the wing mirror of an incoming Bolero. The result was that the Bolero's unit shattered and I had a cobweb like crack in the mirror (though the chrome cover was intact). Enquired with the TASS and they quoted around 5k to change the entire assembly. I was not too happy with that as I wanted only the mirror. Tried to search online but could not find a mirror for Storme. Finally came across an ebay seller who had just the mirror but unfortunately it was for Dicor and further it was not heated. The seller confirmed that Storme and Dicor mirrors were the same. So I bought it for about 350 bucks. When it arrived, I found that the size was smaller than Storme's mirror. However, the difference was very small (at the max 1 mm). But still it was not heated. So I took out the heater coil (which is printed and pasted on the back of the mirror), and pasted it at the back of the new mirror and fitted it back. It took me around an hour because the coil was pasted with a strong glue and the old mirror had cracked into many small pieces stuck to the coil. But that hour was worth the money.
Old 2nd December 2014, 06:56   #3702
BHPian

Quote:
Well, so far there has been no problems in cranking in the morning.
My first thoughts were definitely not so warm and for a while I did panic and thought of calling the SA. But I have this habit of tinkering with things and so I decided to have a look first. This paid.
Another instance where this DIY approach was beneficial for me was when a couple of months back, the RHS wing mirror was hit by the wing mirror of an incoming Bolero.
Wow. Thst was a very good idea that was executed with precision. The satisfaction such deed give is to be experienced to be appreciated . What glue you used to paste it with new mirror?.
Old 3rd December 2014, 23:29   #3703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Wow. Thst was a very good idea that was executed with precision. The satisfaction such deed give is to be experienced to be appreciated . What glue you used to paste it with new mirror?.
Actually the glue that was already present was enough so didn't use any thing else.
kaymant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 17:45   #3704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Sounds like the stopper bolt issue. Nothing major. But the sound would be more of a metallic than plasticky. Presume this must be at full lock turns ?
I listened to it again. It happens at every full turn of the steering. Lets say if i am turning the steering 3 times for a full lock, the sound happens thrice. This maybe because of the stopper bolt as you suggested?

Another small issue, whenever i start the truck and it starts to coast in the morning there is some squealing sound from the wheels. Haven't noticed it other times, but that maybe because the surroundings are noisy. Will check whether it happens at starting of the truck every time.

Other than that everything is going on fine. Odo stands at 585 Kms now. I got a FE of 13.88 KM/L tankful to tankful. Out of the 350 kms running between these 2 fills, 275 kms was in East Coast Road and rest 75 kms. in Chennai city. All with 100% AC. I haven't crossed 2.2K RPM and 80-85 Km/hr. I am fueling from Shell.
Old 5th December 2014, 14:42   #3705
BHPian

10,000 Km on the odo today just a week short of 6 months of ownership.

Buying a Storme has to be one of the best decisions that I have taken. Had loads of opposition from friends, colleagues, relatives, family with only TBHP thread on Storme as my excuse. In the last 6 months - the king of the road feeling, envy in the eyes of friends, colleagues, relatives, fellow road users and appreciative glances have made sure that I took the right decision. No other SUV can match the style and class that the STORME exudes and hold its place quite well even when placed alongside the Toyota Fortuner.

In the last 6 months have faced not even a single major issue just rattle from the tail gate clip twice which was resolved by greasing it. The SA at Aristo Motors at GGN too have added to the overall experience.

I hope the 2015 version of the beast raises the benchmark further for the cult that is SAFARI.

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 8th December 2014 at 13:13. Reason: See mod note
garyag79 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks