Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2015, 09:52   #4246
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I see that you have put the roof carrier on top of your car. As is the Storme is nearly 6.5/6.8 feet tall, and with the roof carrier it may peak about 7 feet tall, with that height are you able to safely enter underground parking lots especially in malls? I see that the roof of these parking lots are less than a feet away from my Storme's roof, especially those damn signage bars etc.
I have a roof rack too. It clears the beams and pipes etc. easily. But brushes against the hanging signboards (direction, bay number, etc.) some of the mall and multiplex basement parking have. But since they are not fixed rigid, its not a problem.

What is a problem (reason why my Dicor friend has not gotten one fitted) are the parking lots in residential complexes with low beams at the entry - especially when there is a slight slope to get into the parking space and the truck is inclined upwards.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 18:00   #4247
Senior - BHPian

I was carefully observing the Storme today, I saw that the 16 inchers fill up the wheel well almost completely, and from side on, the body looks a bit bigger than the wheels, maybe the beefy wheel arches cover up the wheels too well. I was wondering if 17 inch rims can be accommodated within the wheel well or will it foul?
That butch look of the Dicor where in there was a significant gap between the wheel arch and the tyre is lost in the Storme :(
Old 11th September 2015, 12:45   #4248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Needless to say you have quite a lot of experience to share with. How is the engine? any signs on aging of interiors (rattling).
I know that you are asking for an ownership report which is long due from my side. Started writing it at 50k, just couldnt finish it, and now have crossed 77k. I am sorry, will finish it soon.
Engine is good till date apart from a choked injector and a breakdown due to common rail leak, which were replaced by TASS. Interiors remain good apart from the console under rear floor vents, the blank plate and charging socket plate locks gave away leaving a hole in that console. When inquired, TASS told me that we don't get only the plates and hence the whole console will have to changed, gave it a pass.

Quote:
Regarding the clutch replacement, Have they put the updated clutch in new Storme or just replaced with the similar one your Storme already had? I am asking this because the updated Storme has super light clutch which puts almost all the Petrol cars to shame.

How well do those Hella lights perform? Which model? I have 500ff on my car but they are mediocre.
The clutch is the same as the one which came in my storme, they haven't updated it to the new self adjusting clutch. Hellas or should i say Hella as i lost one , are 700ff. The have a nice spot throw, very helpful in lighting the road in case of heavy rain or Fog, which is my general setting. Had used them as long throw beams also during my Ladakh night drives, was very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I was wondering if 17 inch rims can be accommodated within the wheel well or will it foul?
It will fowl, unless you reduce the side profile accordingly. I had to get my wheel well lining adjusted after getting Continental Cross Contact in the stock size(235/70 R16) as the lining was fowling with the driver tyre during turns. Even today it does fowl sometimes when the front driver side tyre is turned out when the suspension is pressed. Have been trying to get it sorted, even got it opened and reinstalled.

Last edited by stormerider : 11th September 2015 at 12:47.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 18:54   #4249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Engine is good till date apart from a choked injector .
Dear Stormerider, can you please shed some light on the choked injector issue.

Currently am also facing an issue with one of the injector on the Storme (Dec 2013, 35k completed) .

Long story short, had a check engine light come on with the DTC code showing up as P2147.

P2147 - Injector Bank 1 fault (electrical) - Low

Still working with TASS to find out the RCA and the solution.

Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 21:25   #4250
BHPian

hello bhpians,
Is there any news on the Storme AT hitting shores anytime soon?
I am in the market for a AutoBox Diesel. The Creta seems to be the only one that has it and in my price range.
Please help with some information.
thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 02:03   #4251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know that you are asking for an ownership report which is long due from my side. Started writing it at 50k, just couldnt finish it, and now have crossed 77k. I am sorry, will finish it soon.

Ownership report :
Yeah! maintaining a ownership report has issues of its own. I had felt them not once but twice. But, one you get it, the pleasure of reading it is something different.

1. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...review-18.html

2. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-now-sold.html

Now, I am on my third Safari but have given up on ownership report.
But, man your Storme deserves it, give it what it deserves, an ownership report.

Injector replacement : Yes, this has been the problem with electronic injectors specially in Safari's. 3.0 had issues, 2.2 Had the same injector issues and now Storme continues, what a pity! Why don't the Tata engineers learn, not even the hard way.

atlast are you driving with only one Hella?

Last edited by mercedised : 12th September 2015 at 02:04.
Old 14th September 2015, 12:50   #4252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
Dear Stormerider, can you please shed some light on the choked injector issue.

Currently am also facing an issue with one of the injector on the Storme (Dec 2013, 35k completed) .

Long story short, had a check engine light come on with the DTC code showing up as P2147.

P2147 - Injector Bank 1 fault (electrical) - Low

Still working with TASS to find out the RCA and the solution.

Thanks
I never had a check engine light and an error code generation. but it was the coarse noise from the engine which made me ask questions. Please go through the following
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-261.html

posts 3901 and 3902 should be helpful.

Quote:

Now, I am on my third Safari but have given up on ownership report.
But, man your Storme deserves it, give it what it deserves, an ownership report.
atlast are you driving with only one Hella?
That's what happens to safari owners, even after problems, they just stick to safari. The space and feel of a safari is unmatched. This is the second safari in our family.
Yes currently driving with one Hella, soon will upgrade to 3.
stormerider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 18:19   #4253
BHPian

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-261.html

posts 3901 and 3902 should be helpful..
Thanks Stormerider, had posted the same in the Safari niggles thread and another bhpian v_safari had faced the same issue and as per him this could be caused due to moisture or rust.

Need to check the option out. Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 19:08   #4254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
It doesn't matter whether the tank is full or not. This pump is to clear off the air-lock in the pipe as far as I know.
Yes, You are right. A senior member tanvir also had employed this solution long back after his safari failed to pick up. He had written that this could also happen when the truck is parked on an incline for a relatively longer duration.
Old 14th September 2015, 21:55   #4255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The clutch is the same as the one which came in my storme, they haven't updated it to the new self adjusting clutch.
Have checked on the Self-Adjusting clutch with Tata people. There are too many changes because of which the change will not be done on older Storme's. Only the current (refreshed) Storme will have the S-A-C, and that too from factory.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 12:31   #4256
BHPian

25,000 Km update

25 k done within 15 months of ownership. It has been a niggle free ownership and Aristo Motors Gurgaon as ensured peace of mind. The beast commands respect and admiration everywhere it goes. However, I am tired of answering the standard query "Tata cars are not reliable"..so much so that my father who was looking for a sub 4 m sedan to replace his aging white elephant Vento settled for Dzire inspite of all his appreciation for my Storme and the Zest.
Old 18th October 2015, 10:45   #4257
BHPian

A query to owners on the gear lever/knob vibration, does it vibrate in all gears and also does it vibrate when the car hits potholes and on un-even roads. Can you feel it move around if the hand is placed on the lever.

The context is that my Storme had heavy vibrations following a check engine light (DTC P2147) which was resolved and the CEL stopped glowing but the vibrations continued. and I Used to get misfires also time to time but attributed to bad fuel as told to me by the TASS. One day on the way to office while climbing an incline, the car lost all power, rpms falling and heavy white smoke (no smell and disappeared quickly like water vapour) and hence suspected the Injectors.

However, the TASS and Delphi checked the injectors and found them to be ok (verbal confirmation) and hence reprogrammed the Injector timings. The vibrations have defenitely reduced but when I slot into 5th gear i can still feel some kind of vibrations on acceleration and can feel the gear lever move around in the palm of my hand when I place the hand on the lever. Is this normal ?
If no, what should i ask the TASS to check - transmission mounts ? , Vibration damper ? any CV joints ?

As per TASS, the engine mounts are OK.
Also planning to get the WA and WB done to see if it makes any difference.

Am aware that there is vibrations but just a little paranoid now. Please help.
Old 19th October 2015, 12:34   #4258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post

Am aware that there is vibrations but just a little paranoid now. Please help.
Good to know that the injectors are fine.
As for the vibrations, they do exist, but are a lot controlled. My gear lever also used to vibrate a lot and used to produce a tak-tak sound while doing so. The sound and vibrations were there in specifically gears 1,3 &5. This was long back when the car had done only 5k kms. I got this problem checked but wasnt rectified. It even grew, and one day I was stranded with a free gear stick.
They again rectified, this time the sound and vibrations were gone. Only to come back later (around 15k kms) and leaving me stranded with a free gear stick again! The gearstick issue was related to a small pin (Rs.16) which connects the lever to the transmission!

This time I just lost it and gave them a piece of my mind. They even called engineers from the factory who took everything apart and put it back together. The problem was identified as a small rubber piece which keeps the stick in place when slotted in a gear. everything was again screwed together properly and voila.... no sound, no vibrations. Since then we are living happily and now crossed 81k.

My suggestion is to look at other storme, if the vibrations are similar, then its normal. If you also hear vibration noise in some specific gears like 1,3,5 or 2,4,R, sound an alarm and ask them to check it thoroughly,

Last edited by stormerider : 19th October 2015 at 12:36.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 18:05   #4259
BHPian

Quote:
The problem was identified as a small rubber piece which keeps the stick in place when slotted in a gear. everything was again screwed together properly and voila.... no sound, no vibrations. Since then we are living happily and now crossed 81k.
Thanks a lot Stormerider, will have to put pressure on the TASS to check it as they consider this case closed post the injector re-programming.

Thanks again for the info

Rgds
Old 22nd October 2015, 19:11   #4260
BHPian

Update: The vibration/jerking is back.

Went back to TASS yesterday and they connected laptop to OBD port and checked all parameters and everything looked green except values for EGR.

I was looking over the shoulder of the SA and hence could not see the actual description of what is displayed against the EGR but what i saw is that the EGR were way above the (provided normal working range of 200 - 240) - At Idle the values displayed were 748 and when RPMs were raised it went onto 1400+.

The car has all the symptoms (hesitation while acceleration, jerking at cruising speeds, rough idle and a strange smell when the car is around which is very noticeable) of a bad EGR but strangely there is no Check engine light.

Planning to go back tomorrow and do a thorough check/cleaning of the EGR system and am hoping and praying that will solve my problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks