Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2013, 09:30   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
GN, on which variant is the 4.5L discount being offered? Is this from Tata or the dealer? Dealer's name please (I'm in Bangalore too)? The Aria was out of my budget as listed on their website, but discounts like this may make it a possibility. Thanks.
Its on the Pleasure & Prestige variants. 007_Bond actually broke out this news to us (http://goo.gl/t3qGR). I'm sure you can get a bit more if you can bargain hard.

IIRC Last I heard was that only Concorde & Prerana Motors are selling the Aria now, else I would've preferred KHT anyday. Checkout!
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 09:36   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
We are looking to buy a 7 seater SUV/MUV in a couple of months, it will spend most of its time running round trips between Kollam and Trivandrum (70 kms). I want something supremely comfortable for my mother who is nearing her 60s and something that must have personality (rules out innova).

The choice is basically between the Storme & the XUV and looking at the niggles (especially ones with brakes) being reported by the users of the latter, I am tilting towards the Storme.

Yes I have considered the Aria but I find it looks a bit uninspiring (a bit like the innovas).
I also went through the similar dilemma. The Storme with ABS and Air Bag was costing more than 15L which is beyond my budget. Finally I went with Xylo H8 last week. In Storme I felt too much disturbed with the steering touching my knees, I don't have this problem in my current ride. Safari was my dream vehicle, but it disappointed me when I took the test drive. Looks like there is no chance of dream coming to reality.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 6th July 2013, 10:23   #1158
BHPian

Thanks GN. Can anyone tell me how lifetime tax is calculated? Is it on the price one pays (net after subtracting discount from ex-showroom price) or is it always on the ex-showroom price fixed by the manufacturer for that location, regardless of discounts? Thanks.
Old 6th July 2013, 14:46   #1159
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Its on the Pleasure & Prestige variants. 007_Bond actually broke out this news to us (http://goo.gl/t3qGR). I'm sure you can get a bit more if you can bargain hard.
@ GrammerNazi Pl enquire at ALL TATA dealers, the ARIA is avl at good bargains now. I have bought the Pure (A Silver) at 10.06 on road, regd in Gurgaon in May 12. The Pleasure was avl at about 1L+ then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
I also went through the similar dilemma. The Storme with ABS and Air Bag was costing more than 15L which is beyond my budget. Finally I went with Xylo H8 last week. In Storme I felt too much disturbed with the steering touching my knees, I don't have this problem in my current ride. Safari was my dream vehicle, but it disappointed me when I took the test drive. Looks like there is no chance of dream coming to reality.

Thanks
Rajesh
Well, looks like your heart controls you, not your mind. Dreams are for making true, minor glitches can be ignored ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Thanks GN. Can anyone tell me how lifetime tax is calculated? Is it on the price one pays (net after subtracting discount from ex-showroom price) or is it always on the ex-showroom price fixed by the manufacturer for that location, regardless of discounts? Thanks.
I guess the Road Tax is a either fixed value or depends on a % of the showroom cost (actual amount on the invoice) and varies from state to state.
Old 6th July 2013, 21:48   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post

Well, looks like your heart controls you, not your mind. Dreams are for making true, minor glitches can be ignored ?
Steering touching my knees is not something which I can ignore. In case of any accident, this will be very dangerous.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:12   #1161
Senior - BHPian

To Storme owners:
1. What is the J spec of the alloys ?
2. Was there a choice of tyres when you booked ? If so which brand is better to go for ?
3. Has anyone retrofitted arm rests in the Lx ? Any thoughts/ideas ?

Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 11:37   #1162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
2. Was there a choice of tyres when you booked ? If so which brand is better to go for ?
1. 6.5J
2. Mostly Bridgestone Dueller Tubeless. May also get JK, I think. I dont think you can choose the make of the tyres.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:54   #1163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post

Steering touching my knees is not something which I can ignore. In case of any accident, this will be very dangerous.
That's interesting. How tall are you? Am 6.1 and I don't face this issue in my safari and don't remember my knees touching steering even in storme.
Old 7th July 2013, 12:38   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
That's interesting. How tall are you? Am 6.1 and I don't face this issue in my safari and don't remember my knees touching steering even in storme.
Poor me, I am 6.4.
Old 7th July 2013, 12:49   #1165
BHPian

I am 6'-3". and I can tell you the steering touching thigh feels odd, but it never comes in between driving and emergency manoeuvres. As a matter of fact, it takes a bit of getting used to. IMO it is a different driving position than my other cars like the swift and fiesta. and it feels particularly odd if you are migrating from a sedan.
There was a discussion earlier in the thread about left foot getting stuck in the well whilst releasing clutch, that also happens if your primary drive is a sedan and are in a habit of keeping your foot a bit higher. I adapted to this within a day and has not come in between my driving ever since.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:26   #1166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
There was a discussion earlier in the thread about left foot getting stuck in the well whilst releasing clutch, that also happens if your primary drive is a sedan and are in a habit of keeping your foot a bit higher. I adapted to this within a day and has not come in between my driving ever since.
Man you guys are giants! I am 6' tall, and the only "issue" I face is while getting into the car.

Right foot on the floorboard, left leg swings inside, foot goes under clutch (to clear the steering, otherwise its impossible to get left leg on to other side of steering), place behind on seat, get right leg inside, and while pulling the door shut, there is a bit of a maneuver of swivelling the left foot/lower leg to clear it from under the clutch pedal and bring the foot out from the left - as the instep gets momnetarily caught against the under side of the pedal and the side wall of the well before it clears.

This is daily occurence and have got used to this routine. Seat is in lowest position. Steering in highest position. While sitting and driving, there is enough clearance between the steering and my thighs, and no clearance issues for the foot. As mentioned in my ownership thread, a dead pedal would have been nice for city traffic driving, but on the highway you can simply keep it comfortably on the floor to the left.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th July 2013 at 11:31.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:55   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
To Storme owners:
3. Has anyone retrofitted arm rests in the Lx ? Any thoughts/ideas ?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
1. 6.5J
2. Mostly Bridgestone Dueller Tubeless. May also get JK, I think. I dont think you can choose the make of the tyres.
Will have to check the j spec, as told by tata guys its an odd spec 6.1J, if I remember correctly. Which is the reason they pull their hands on warranties of suspension if you go in for aftermarket alloys with 6.5j, which is the closest that we get, I believe. Hence to get the warranty and AMC I had to go in for OEM alloys.
No choice of tyres given, but have only seen Bridgestone Dueller HT.
I have an LX, and I am also looking for someone to get the armrests. The showroom guys showed a very shabby example, so didn't go with them. They simply drill/cut the seat to fit. Also IMO it will be good for long drives, but will interfere in gear shifts in city.

Cheers
Old 8th July 2013, 12:04   #1168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will have to check the j spec, as told by tata guys its an odd spec 6.1J, if I remember correctly.
It is 6.5J. I had double-checked in my owner's manual before I posted, hence no doubts for me

Is a 6.1J available at all ? I dont think so.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 12:14   #1169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It is 6.5J. I had double-checked in my owner's manual before I posted, hence no doubts for me

Is a 6.1J available at all ? I dont think so.
Maybe then you are correct. That's the same question I also had!
But why is it that they void warranties? Can someone please shed some more light.
Old 8th July 2013, 12:31   #1170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But why is it that they void warranties? Can someone please shed some more light.
As long as you go with the stock sizes, you should be fine. I cant think of any manufacturer denying wty just because one changed to alloy wheels, while taking care to follow the OE J-specs.

I think you can go ahead and get which ever set you like, as long as the size is same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks