Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2013, 17:51   #1276
BHPian

I have latitude cross and the stock storme alloys. Kht motors brookefield...if you know any good tyre shop to allign let me know...
Old 21st July 2013, 18:03   #1277
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Charles, did you Storme pull left even on stock tyres ?

I would suggest to get the wheels balanced at Madhu's at Double Road / Langford Road. Pls get the Road-force balancing done. That will reduce effect from un-balanced wheels.

Last edited by condor : 21st July 2013 at 18:07.
Old 21st July 2013, 18:39   #1278
BHPian

Narayan, I would not advice you to go for after market alloys at all if you are upsizing. Considering this suspension is still being beta tested by us (customers), let at least some time pass before you experiment. Though the original alloys which I have don't look that nice I think they do the job quite well.

I have put in a rear bull guard from reliance auto zone on my bumper. Nothing done up front. Am still waiting for the nudge guard from the explorer edition to be launched.
Old 21st July 2013, 18:52   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Narayan, I would not advice you to go for after market alloys at all if you are upsizing. Considering this suspension is still being beta tested by us (customers), let at least some time pass before you experiment. Though the original alloys which I have don't look that nice I think they do the job quite well.

I have put in a rear bull guard from reliance auto zone on my bumper. Nothing done up front. Am still waiting for the nudge guard from the explorer edition to be launched.
Stormed- I'm not having any plans of upsizing. Will be going for aftermarket alloys in the stock spec with the stock tyres only. The suspension issue is definetly unnerving though !
Old 21st July 2013, 18:55   #1280
BHPian

Thanks Condor...hardly drove 5 km in the stock tyres so cannot comment...tyres were balanced and tass rotated them but still same issue..will try at double road...else am going to get tass to try with stock tyres from the demo vehicle and check...
Old 21st July 2013, 18:56   #1281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I thought the feedback would anonymized ..

I also dont know what does the caller do if I ask him to call back after a week when I want more time to give feedback ? Reason I ask is I dont remember a follow up call being done in such cases. Does the caller give some random (good) feedback ratings and close the call ?

The SA has the form with dots, which asks you to rate the SA. And I think his performance rating /bonus is linked to it, so he will know if his customers are rating him high.

The call center usually calls back at least once if you don't take the call the first time.
Old 21st July 2013, 18:57   #1282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
The SA has the form with dots, which asks you to rate the SA. And I think his performance rating /bonus is linked to it, so he will know if his customers are rating him high.
Ok - that one is internal to the dealer. The dealer does not ask me to fill it up every time, though.

I was referring to the feedback call from TML
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:01   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Touch wood but I am very happy with the suspension. I am really enjoying the Storme. Some long pending accessories coming up this week hopefully if I can make some time.

Funny thing today morning at the petrol pump though. The fuel hatch would not release with the electronic button. Went back to release the manual pull tag and found it hanging (conveniently) through one of the slats of the plastic grille near the left side jump seat. So pulled it and released the fuel hatch, got the fuel filled and then opened the grille and placed the black tag back inside. And then when I tried the electronic release button, it worked perfectly. But I distinctly never remember pulling the black tag outside and leaving it there, so can only imagine someone at the TASS would have pulled it out and placed it there. Issue is - why?
Old 22nd July 2013, 13:01   #1284
Senior - BHPian

P.S. Sorry for the addendum, but since I cannot edit my previous post anymore, maybe a mod could merge this one there please?

Storme guys what mileage are you guys getting? Safari guy, is it true that a Safari initially is a bit thirsty and then settles down only post 5-10,000 kms?

I used to initially get around 10-10.5 kmpl during run in, but post 1500 kms since I started driving "normally" I am getting only around 160-165 kms for every 17.5 liters of fuel (1000 bucks) - measured from orange blinking light to orange blinking light.

This is just 9-9.5 kmpl so thought I would ask the rest of you as well. TASS guys say engine has bedded in perfectly with good power and everything is ok.

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd July 2013 at 13:04.
Old 22nd July 2013, 13:02   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys

Have any of you done any bumper protection accessories/fitments ?

Also I am once again requesting info on the Storme alloys. Is 16" and 7.5J sufficient info to shop around for the alloys ? What is the PCD ?
Narayan sorry for my longish post but I think it is important if you know this in advance

16 inch and 6.5 J is the wheel size of OEM there are 2 more values to match
PCD and Offset , You can go for even 7J with OEM tyre size if PCD and Offset match.

PCD refers to the diameter of the wheel nut circle so can be easily matched , accuracy in PCD is required make sure that rim is not being forced in the studs and is going in and out freely.
Wheel studs may break or nuts may get jammed if PCD is not correct.

The real difficulty is matching the offset value because most imported rims are not manufactured as per specs of Indian vehicles. Offset determines how much of lateral force is exerted on the suspension components and this is the reason manufacturers may deny warranty on suspension components if the wheel rim is not of OEM specification.

An easy way to determine the offset is to lay the OEM rim flat on a table and then measure distance of the flange on which wheel nuts are tightened from the bottom surface.

The biggest problem due to non OEM wheels is that you have to get them aligned outside. The equipment at T.A.S.S has clamps which fits only to OEM alloy rims ( personally tested this). On the other hand outside alignment shops seldom have the correct OEM values of Caster, Camber and Toe . Most machines just have toe value of -30'' to +30'' which was valid of old TCIC Safari and Sumo.

In Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor the toe value range was changed and till date I have not seen the correct value with any of these alignment guys and even if I provide them they just argue on what they know is best.

To be fair to T.A.S.S at Concord Motors Begur road they provided me excellent service on following counts.

1. After doing alignment for first time outside my 2.2 VTT Dicor started pulling to left. I went to concord they replaced all wheels with wheels of another Safari and did the correct alignment and then replaced my non OEM wheels
and did not charge me a penny for this .

2. They did not deny warranty and changed the rear suspension bush once when it developed a slight squeak though technically they could have denied the warranty.

Now I have a copy of alignment report in my phone and get alignment done outside with correct values.

However after going through these experience I would say going for Taiwanese alloys just for sake of looks is not worth it. You need to become expert in alignment yourself and can not live simple life of ignoramus customer if you are deviating from OEM spec.

Last edited by amitk26 : 22nd July 2013 at 13:10.
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 14:39   #1286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I used to initially get around 10-10.5 kmpl during run in, but post 1500 kms since I started driving "normally" I am getting only around 160-165 kms for every 17.5 liters of fuel (1000 bucks) - measured from orange blinking light to orange blinking light.

This is just 9-9.5 kmpl so thought I would ask the rest of you as well. TASS guys say engine has bedded in perfectly with good power and everything is ok.
Though I haven't checked, but I get around 190km odd in 1000 bucks. But the light to light way of measurement is not accurate as the light may turn on because of the vehicle standing on an incline or on a banked road/kerb.
The best way to measure is autocut to autocut fill. Would advise to check that way.
Also average may depend on your primary driving location, like in city or on highway, jams, etc.
Old 22nd July 2013, 15:15   #1287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Though I haven't checked, but I get around 190km odd in 1000 bucks.
Thanks. So considering price of diesel in Jaipur is 4 bucks a liter less than in Pune (HUGE!), that means you are getting somewhere close to around 10 kmpl versus 9-9.5 kmpl in my case.
Old 22nd July 2013, 16:08   #1288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Charles, did you Storme pull left even on stock tyres ?

I would suggest to get the wheels balanced at Madhu's at Double Road / Langford Road. Pls get the Road-force balancing done. That will reduce effect from un-balanced wheels.
@Charles. I too have the same issue of the car pulling very slightly to the left. If you leave the steering and drive on a flat road there is a slight shift towards left. I need to get it checked by TMIL first since i took delivery hardly a week ago. Will get the guys to balance the wheels again and then see what happens

Also, i get a small sound on depressing the clutch. It is quite small, very clear and very sharp. I guess it might be because of the spring being stiff and therefore plan to run it for a month before investigating further

Anyone faced a similar problem ?
Old 22nd July 2013, 16:21   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
P.S. Sorry for the addendum, but since I cannot edit my previous post anymore, maybe a mod could merge this one there please?

Storme guys what mileage are you guys getting? Safari guy, is it true that a Safari initially is a bit thirsty and then settles down only post 5-10,000 kms?

I normally get around 430 Kms in roughly 2200 worth of diesel, apx 43 litres in Delhi. This works to around 10 kmpl completely in city driving conditions when I am diving sedately (not going above 2K rpm). Keep in mind that my daily run to work is a measly 5 kms to and fro in bad traffic. Changing the driving style even a bit bogs it down to 9 kmpl. On the highway I have clocked around 14 on auto-cut to auto-cut method. Hope this helps!
storme'd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 18:03   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
@Charles. I too have the same issue of the car pulling very slightly to the left. If you leave the steering and drive on a flat road there is a slight shift towards left. I need to get it checked by TMIL first since i took delivery hardly a week ago. Will get the guys to balance the wheels again and then see what happens
?
I got the Michelin tyres from Tyre Empire Whitefield, they could not do the alignment as they do not have readings for the Storme. I have scheduled an appointment tomorrow and one of the TML engineers also is there (Raghavendra). Which month was your vehicle manufactured?
No clutch related issues, though the springs make a slight "tak tak" noise when the clutch is depressed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks