Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2013, 21:32   #1411
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Another useful feature is first or second gear crawl without throttle input! It doesn't matter even if you go up a ramp, the car keeps going on its own.
Most ECU controlled CRDe deisel engines including the Mahindra Thar & Bolero have this anti stall feature. You can take any CRDe engine up a slope without pressing the accelerator. My Vista Qjet and Ritz DDis does it too...
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 06:09   #1412
Distinguished - BHPian

4x4 addict, IMO, nothing out of the ordinary .. regular, NA, and non-CRDE diesel engines did that in 1st gear all the time
Old 4th August 2013, 07:17   #1413
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Exactly as condor said. Just turn the indicator stalk to the side you want to indicate, but not completely, stop just before it clicks in that location. The stalk will return to the center default location but the indicator blinks for 3 times indicating a lane change.
That wont even get noticed here on our Indian roads.
Here, one has to beat the fellow behind over the head with one's intentions, else he will blissfully thram into one, because invariably he will be riding or driving his vehicle with his head enveloped in a karmic cloud...
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 10:35   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Most ECU controlled CRDe deisel engines including the Mahindra Thar & Bolero have this anti stall feature. You can take any CRDe engine up a slope without pressing the accelerator. My Vista Qjet and Ritz DDis does it too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
4x4 addict, IMO, nothing out of the ordinary .. regular, NA, and non-CRDE diesel engines did that in 1st gear all the time
Guys I am sorry but for how many of us is this ordinary? I bet not everyone on this forum(leave apart the mango people) knows about it and is as informed as you people. For instance I came to know about this through the storme 4x4 display in various cities. Also my fiesta tdci stalls, dad's santro also stalls. Didn't ever try it in my swift ddis.
Anyways my point was that TATA doesn't publicise these features, no matter how ordinary they are, whilst every manufacturer is just listing the silliest of features to make that feature list appear long to the prospective buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
That wont even get noticed here on our Indian roads.
Here, one has to beat the fellow behind over the head with one's intentions, else he will blissfully thram into one, because invariably he will be riding or driving his vehicle with his head enveloped in a karmic cloud...
That's true, but atleast we can do our bit and also before changing the lane atleast look at the orvms to double check!
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 16:44   #1415
Senior - BHPian

checked the explorer edition kit today and its another half hearted attempt,

• 2-Din is poor quality, comes very close to gear lever when its in 3rd or 5th gear. Worst it makes the cup holder useless, who in TML really approves it. Supports reverse camera but no GPS hence no map support. USB port goes into glove box, through a wire
  • Chrome strips at tail lamp is badly fit, will fall in max one month.
  • Nudge Gaurd blocks the front number plate, and has its own plate holder attached to nudge gaurd. How will HSRP be used?
  • Decal looks nice but poor quality, again will peel off soon, leaving ugly marks.
  • Seat covers are ok kind, not as tight fit as the one in VX.
  • Nothing to talk about for rubber mat.
  • Rain gaurd on windows are decent.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20130804_135814.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20130804_135827.jpg

Last edited by rkbharat : 4th August 2013 at 16:48.
rkbharat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 17:07   #1416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

But duster doesn't forget the slope it stalls on plain roads without accelarator input.

Last edited by amitk26 : 4th August 2013 at 17:11.
Old 4th August 2013, 18:40   #1417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
Condor, the problems seems to have been solved. I had a short test ride with the floor manager, couldn't test it more as I had to return to work. Will be checking thoroughly on the weekend. All seems fine for now though. The steering is also lighter post the change.
Drove down to Kabini JLR ....Now the vehicle drifts towards the right. Is it normal for the Storme to have these alignment issues. Please can storme owners let me know if their vehicles pull to the right of left in a straight line.
Old 4th August 2013, 18:58   #1418
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep the indicator lane change of 3 blinks is too less it needs to be min 5 if not 6 for Indian conditions. It seems to be the same 3 blinks for all vehicles and this just does not work out here and I need to but into permanent blink more and then shift back most of the times after changing the lane.

This is designed more for highways where one will give the signal and change lanes quickly enough as the next vehicle is far behind.
Old 4th August 2013, 22:25   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yep the indicator lane change of 3 blinks is too less it needs to be min 5 if not 6 for Indian conditions. It seems to be the same 3 blinks for all vehicles and this just does not work out here and I need to but into permanent blink more and then shift back most of the times after changing the lane.

This is designed more for highways where one will give the signal and change lanes quickly enough as the next vehicle is far behind.
You are right. Normally this is provided by manufacturers for quick lane changes specifically on the highways in India (globally it is quite frequently used as lanes and traffic are more mature). Also I have only seen it blink 3 times and not more in all Cars that I have seen. I find it to be a great feature only problem being the pathetic road sense in India.
Old 4th August 2013, 23:14   #1420
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajit_72 View Post
Which dealer is it through and in which city?

Sorry for a delayed response Ajit. The dealer is in New Bombay. I am yet to meet up with my Bro-In-Laws friend who is to arrange for all the logistics. Once I meet him, things will be lot clearer. Will keep you posted !!
Old 5th August 2013, 08:40   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post

Drove down to Kabini JLR ....Now the vehicle drifts towards the right. Is it normal for the Storme to have these alignment issues. Please can storme owners let me know if their vehicles pull to the right of left in a straight line.
No get the balancing & alignment done outside , it should be fine . I get it done from madhus in Mysore
Old 5th August 2013, 21:59   #1422
Senior - BHPian

The beast has arrived. Ownership thread coming soon
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-storme-1.jpg  

narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 10:59   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Narayan! Welcome to the club.
Old 6th August 2013, 13:09   #1424
BHPian

one more feature I noticed (not sure if its there in the manuals) , when u take the key out after switching off the ignition, u can still operate the door/window glasses up/down and once you open the driver door it will get disabled.

and regarding the vehicle pulling without the use of the accelerator, I thought it was there in all latest cars, but to test it in my storme I tried it in one of the ramps in a mall with 7 people in the vehicle and it pulled the vehicle without any problem
avanishphatak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 13:46   #1425
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanishphatak View Post
one more feature I noticed (not sure if its there in the manuals) , when u take the key out after switching off the ignition, u can still operate the door/window glasses up/down and once you open the driver door it will get disabled.

and regarding the vehicle pulling without the use of the accelerator, I thought it was there in all latest cars, but to test it in my storme I tried it in one of the ramps in a mall with 7 people in the vehicle and it pulled the vehicle without any problem
This is a major improvement in the storme. Tata realized that its a big problem in climbing slopes, so they reworked the gear ratios. The best thing about the change is that now reverse gear is much shorter. On the older safari you had to burn clutch to get up even mild slopes. The Storme does this without ado.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks