Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2013, 13:52   #1486
BHPian

Storme owners: is there any particular RPM at which you change gears? Though I have been diving the storme for the lat 6 months now, I still struggle with gear ratios specially on inclines while driving on hills and have to frequently downshift. Is it normal for a diesel to be taken to 4K on 1st gear and 3-4K on 2nd?
Old 31st August 2013, 14:21   #1487
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

@Storme'd, those RPM's pretty high. I dont look at RPM's to change gears, but instead speeds. The recommended speeds to change gears (as seen in the owner's handbook) would be 20/40/20/80 .

Though I cant keep watch at the speeds when changing gears, I ensure that there are no jerks / lugging when I change the gears. The sound of the engine, and delivery of power should be smooth. When shifting upwards, I end up change at 15/35/50/70. When down shifting, it is 60/45/30/10.

At cruising speeds, I am typically at around 2200 rpm., have never had to go above 3k

Please check the owner's handbook & work out your preffered speed to change gears.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 14:31   #1488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Changing to a particular brand of tyre has got nothing to do with warranty as long as the size remains the same. I see you are facing this problem and not getting a solution.Might I suggest you to try any other TASS dealer in your city and specifically tell them that you are bringing the vehicle because of this problem and have made several attempts at the other dealer to get it rectified.
This comes from my experience with the service stations in Jaipur. My storme used to have a noise with vibration from gear stick, and even after complaining 2-3 times it didn't get rectified. I took it to a different dealer and told them the issue, I found there response better and my problem got solved.
In about 15 days the noise came back. I again took it to the new dealer, this time they kept my UFO for 3 days and showed it to TATA engineers twice in that duration and rectified the problem. Since then I am happy with my car and the silence in the cabin!
HI stormerider

I am also from Jaipur and in process to book Strome, please share your experience wrt which one is good and initial niggles you faced. It will help me a lot.

Thanks,

Sunit
Old 31st August 2013, 14:48   #1489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I got a word that Tata is thinking about an LX 4x4 due to inquiries. Currently, they are trying to figure out if there is enough demand. If there is, the LX 4x4 may be sold in the next 3-4 months.
So maybe, if enough people want it, Tata will make the LX 4x4
Black cladding would be nice and would pay for the alloy wheel upgrade over the regular storme.
Any news from TATA on LX 4X4? I can wait one more year for the product.
Old 31st August 2013, 17:17   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post

HI stormerider

I am also from Jaipur and in process to book Strome, please share your experience wrt which one is good and initial niggles you faced. It will help me a lot.

Thanks,

Sunit
Hi Sunit

Good to know another bhpian from Jaipur. Before I answer your questions would request you to join the Jaipur meet thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ipur-meet.html

Q. Which storme is good/how good is it?
Let me say its the best you can get in the segment or price band. Above all it justifies the price band, atleast to me on lx and ex trim. though would had preferred lx 4x4, sadly its nowhere to be seen!
As for the variant, I chose lx as the roof Ac hits my head when driving or in co passenger seat. Apart from the hottest 2-3 days, haven't ever regretted this decision. Cabin takes a bit longer to cool in the back seat but it does gets cold after say 10-15 minutes. I do miss the hand rest here.

Q. Niggles faced?
Gear stick vibration and noise when in gear 1,3,5. Which was because of a loose pin which made the lever free one day leaving me stranded and making calls to road side assistance. But actually they took pains and rectified it.
Door strikers were changed and are trouble free now. A slight choo-choo sound is coming from rear hatch door, will get it checked.
Hand brake needs a strong pull to engage, else the vehicle might roll, have gotten used to it.

But no major problem as such. And believe me as I say these are nothing as compared to the smile this beast brings, every time I take him out (mind it, this one's a male!).
It just absorbs everything the road throws at it, dismissing with a thud at the max. Ride is always comfortable for everyone inside. It should come with a rider-
80-100km/hr- road or no road, doesn't matter!

Braking is always confidence inspiring. Interiors are nice to touch, and I prefer lx interiors over vx ones. Was never fond of all beige and to add to it faux wood is a strict no-no.

These are my feelings after driving for 6months and 12k kms. Ownership review is long due, planning to do it after the first major 15k kms service. If you have any other queries, you are most welcome to fire and I shall respond with the best of my ability.

Cheers
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 17:27   #1491
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am also from Jaipur and in process to book Strome,
hi Sunit, have had the STorme for 4 months & 6.3k km now. 2 long drives, 2 short ones, & city use.

My suggestion - go for it !
Havent heard any major un-solveable issues yet. One good input you can refer to is the post here by @arjunmenon.
Old 31st August 2013, 20:13   #1492
BHPian

I will going in 15 k service next week , so far it's been a pleasure driving this beast .
Old 31st August 2013, 22:47   #1493
BHPian

Guys a quick one. My truck came back this evening after getting the headlamps replaced under warranty (issue discussed earlier in this thread). The high beam is pointing towards the sky, literally. I used the HLLD to no avail. What could be the problem? I called up the SA and he had no idea about it. I will be taking the car back on Monday, what should I tell them to check?
Old 31st August 2013, 22:52   #1494
Distinguished - BHPian

@Storme'd , if the LB is fine while the HB is aiming for the sky, then you would have faultier head lamp. Replacement is the way to go ..
Old 1st September 2013, 08:03   #1495
BHPian

Condor the LB is fine. Considering that the lights were replaced yesterday, is there some adjustment that can be out?
Old 1st September 2013, 09:48   #1496
Distinguished - BHPian

@Storme'd, looking at the way the level adjustment works, the LB & HB appear to be tied to each other. The whole unit gets levelled, and not just individual beams.

Suggest to report the issue immediately to TA,S,S and get it rectified (if possible) -or replaced
Old 1st September 2013, 13:57   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Hi Sunit

Good to know another bhpian from Jaipur. Before I answer your questions would request you to join the Jaipur meet thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ipur-meet.html

Cheers
Thanks, have joined the meet thread.

Yesterday I booked Strome EX urban bronze from Kamal & Co, jaipur. Gave advance of 51K. This is my birthday gift for me by my wife , though delivery may take 7-10 days.

Dealer quoted 13.89 OTR including insurance, extended warranty etc. Though I have negotiated 15000 cash + 5000 corp disc + 5000 dealer discount, - transfer of my 25% NCB on insurance, I pushed for more extra's as he is not ready to take my DL number UVA in exchange (because it is delhi registered) else would have go 30K exchange bonus.

However, dealer is saying since this is month end, new scheme will be launched in first week and then they will be able to confirm on deal. I have told him that whatever we have agreed is minimum I discount i am expecting, else will cancel booking and pick card from NCR. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Planning to purchase Gold AMC, trade in steel with stock alloys, reverse view camera, also will have look at nudge & bull guard, weurth strips, underbody rust treatment, gear lock, seat covers.

Anything else will decide based on your advise.
Old 1st September 2013, 16:00   #1498
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, have joined the meet thread.

Yesterday I booked Strome EX urban bronze from Kamal & Co, jaipur. Gave advance of 51K. This is my birthday gift for me by my wife , though delivery may take 7-10 days.

Dealer quoted 13.89 OTR including insurance, extended warranty etc. Though I have negotiated 15000 cash + 5000 corp disc + 5000 dealer discount, - transfer of my 25% NCB on insurance, I pushed for more extra's as he is not ready to take my DL number UVA in exchange (because it is delhi registered) else would have go 30K exchange bonus.

However, dealer is saying since this is month end, new scheme will be launched in first week and then they will be able to confirm on deal. I have told him that whatever we have agreed is minimum I discount i am expecting, else will cancel booking and pick card from NCR. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Planning to purchase Gold AMC, trade in steel with stock alloys, reverse view camera, also will have look at nudge & bull guard, weurth strips, underbody rust treatment, gear lock, seat covers.

Anything else will decide based on your advise.
Congratulations and happy birthday!
And coincidentally we had also booked my storme on my birthday with kamal & co. I took insurance from outside saving me 3k and getting a zero dep insurance. I also have gold amc for 4 years. For service I have moved to roshan motors Malviya nagar service station as kamal & co wasn't paying attention and the service advisor was a complete fool.
Old 1st September 2013, 16:26   #1499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
I will going in 15 k service next week , so far it's been a pleasure driving this beast .
Hey Fortuner71 Kindly keep us updated with the things done & money spent in this service ,i have heard this ones a major service.
Old 1st September 2013, 16:40   #1500
Senior - BHPian

Sunit5 - congrats on the UB Ex ! Don't go for the exchange bonus trap. They undervalue your car anyways. My i10 which fetched 3.1L with a direct buyer was valued at 2.4L by TASS. What is the price quoted for stock alloys ? And exchange value for the steel rims ? Maybe negotiate on that. How much did they quote for extended warranty/Gold AMC ? I paid 7000/- for EW. Pls refer chart posted earlier for Gold AMC. Have seen dealers quoting higher amounts also

Last edited by narayan : 1st September 2013 at 16:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks