Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2014, 10:48   #2911
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Are you sure its coming from the clutch and not the drive train. This sound is very common in rear wheel drive cars and comes from the differential. Most of us are used to front wheel drive cars and hence this sound seems like an anomaly. So long as the sound is coming from the drivetrain, its perfectly normal.
Old 25th June 2014, 10:56   #2912
BHPian

Guys another trip on the truck and am back satisfied. Mileage around 12 with both acs on full time. Went to Sigdi (beyond Pangot) and realised yet again that on steep inclines it's only the 2nd gear that can take you through.
Couple of problems:
1. Chu-chu sound from blowers after some time
2. The truck starts doing a sudden jump on the 1st gear after being driven log distances
3. Driver side seat belt is not retracting on its own now. This is worrying me. What should be done here?
storme'd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 10:58   #2913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Are you sure its coming from the clutch and not the drive train. This sound is very common in rear wheel drive cars and comes from the differential. Most of us are used to front wheel drive cars and hence this sound seems like an anomaly. So long as the sound is coming from the drivetrain, its perfectly normal.
Himanshu, it comes upon releasing the clutch only and from down there. Have you taken the delivery???
Old 25th June 2014, 14:05   #2914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Would u mind telling me how good is it if im driving it for about 50 kms per day in delhi ncr traffic conditions with only 30 percent of it on open roads..would the clutch or size be a problem,especially considering the fact that few vehicles like duster and even the old safari clutch used to get so hard with time that one could contemplate a knee replacement along with the clutch assembly too.
Sorry for the delay. Was travelling
So far clutch is fine. My daily commute of 60 km is not a problem so far.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 14:18   #2915
BHPian

Hello to all Safari owners, going by the thread has led me to truly accept the fact the the Safari Storme is indeed a good bet.

My only worry is that will it be too much too soon for me wrt to the brutal power and the stance the vehicle commands. I currently drive a sedan, Verna fluidic and have been doing rounds of dealers to find my first SUV. Will this shift from a sedan to a SUV require a change in driving style?

I have heard that the knee often rubs the lower steering, especially if you are tall. My height is around 6.2".

I am guessing all you proud owners would be able to help me make the right decision.

Cheers,
Vinay.
Old 25th June 2014, 14:56   #2916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaniv14 View Post
I currently drive a sedan, Verna fluidic and have been doing rounds of dealers to find my first SUV. Will this shift from a sedan to a SUV require a change in driving style?
it is not the matter of concern at all shifting from a sedan or a hatchback to Safari Storme. Though the vehicle is huge once you start driving the cabin just grows in to you and you will never feel that you are driving a big vehicle sitting inside. I myself upgraded from Wagon R to storme. Only change in driving style you need to adopt is driving a diesel vehicle if your previous vehicle is a petrol car (which was in my case)

Quote:
I have heard that the knee often rubs the lower steering, especially if you are tall. My height is around 6.2".
Yes that's definitely a bit of issue for taller people. I am also 6 feet tall and overweight as well. the space between my knee and steering is marginal. I felt my Wagon R had much more leg room than storme. But for me it is not an issue at all when i start driving the storme. The less leg room does not compromise my ride comfort since i have made adjustments by keeping steering as high as possible, seat as low as possible and in reclining position.

Do not ponder my friend. Go for it, do what your heart says - Good luck
lazybrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 15:56   #2917
BHPian

Quote:
Hello to all Safari owners, going by the thread has led me to truly accept the fact the the Safari Storme is indeed a good bet.

My only worry is that will it be too much too soon for me wrt to the brutal power and the stance the vehicle commands. I currently drive a sedan, Verna fluidic and have been doing rounds of dealers to find my first SUV. Will this shift from a sedan to a SUV require a change in driving style?

I am guessing all you proud owners would be able to help me make the right decision.

Cheers,
Vinay.
Not a problem. Even I had the same problem in the TD vehicle, but could find a comfortable seating position on the vehicle after purchase. I too am 6'2".
Old 25th June 2014, 19:18   #2918
Senior - BHPian

Got delivery of the storme but am unable to upload pics from my phone

Can anyone guide me how to? I'm using the Tbhp app on an iPhone 5
Old 25th June 2014, 20:32   #2919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...My only worry is that will it be too much too soon for me wrt to the brutal power and the stance the vehicle commands. I currently drive a sedan, Verna fluidic and have been doing rounds of dealers to find my first SUV. Will this shift from a sedan to a SUV require a change in driving style?...
The major change would be NOT to push the SUV around corners and do zig zag like you do in a car. But since you are driving a Verna, I presume you would neither do any of those.

Quote:
...I have heard that the knee often rubs the lower steering, especially if you are tall. My height is around 6.2"...
I have had this problem while TD. Add to it, I could never properly get into the driver's seat without struggling. I am 6'2".

I suggest you take a very good TD and try out all these with an open mind. If you do NOT find these issues, then you may put your cash on it. The only point should be that you are NOT "compromising".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
....I am also 6 feet tall and overweight as well....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
..I too am 6'2".
Do you guys have a problem getting into the drivers seat? I always had difficulty during my TD.
Old 25th June 2014, 21:26   #2920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Do you guys have a problem getting into the drivers seat? I always had difficulty during my TD.
Not at all. in fact i faced the same problem during TD of storme more so because in 2013 i TD'ed dicor as well. Not sure whether it is really the case but i felt dicor had more leg room for the driver seat than storme and i was bit disappointed on this aspect while Td'ing storme.

Regarding problem getting in to drivers seat of storme if you are 6 feet and above it is just the matter of getting used to it and the angle in which you get in to the car. With time you will feel it is not a problem at all
Old 25th June 2014, 22:04   #2921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys is a "Tak" sound while releasing the clutch pedal quickly normal ? I get this sound even when the vehicle is stationery and I just press and release the pedal quickly without any gear shifts
I also observe this sound, specially when the vehicle is neutral and is stationary. To me, it seems like CHAKK rather than TAK. But since this sound comes when the clutch is unloaded, I haven't bothered about it so far. In fact, there are so many other sounds to listen :-P
YGarg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 01:09   #2922

Hi, this is my first query on Team-BHP. I am planning to go in for a Storme VX pearl white, the only dilemma being the variant- 4x2 or 4x4. I am personally not too much into serious off roading but at the same time am keen on doing the Leh cct. I have a few doubts which I need to clarify the following points before I finalise my decision:-

1. Is the complete Manali-Leh cct manageable in the RWD 4x2 variant or 4x4 is preferred? Or are there stretches which can only be done in a 4x4?

2. Is the handling of the 4x4 not as good as the 4x2 variant (keeping in mind that my wife would also be driving occassionally)- I had read somewhere that the steering is a bit heavier and the ride is not as smooth in a 4x4 Storme.

3. Is the reliability of the 4x4 lower than the 4x2 (We have two kids, hence on long drives reliability factor holds paramount importance)

4. Is the 4x2 good enough for occasional trips to slushy roads in national parks like Corbett,etc?

5. Inputs from 4x2 Storme owners who have actually done the Leh cct and /or negotiated slushy off road trips would be highly appreciated keeping in mind that affordability is not an issue, but just that I need to go in for the right variant and not regret later.

Thanks.
Old 26th June 2014, 06:59   #2923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram mehra View Post
Hi, this is my first query on Team-BHP. I am planning to go in for a Storme VX pearl white, the only dilemma being the variant- 4x2 or 4x4. I am personally not too much into serious off roading but at the same time am keen on doing the Leh cct. I have a few doubts which I need to clarify the following points before I finalise my decision:-

1. Is the complete Manali-Leh cct manageable in the RWD 4x2 variant or 4x4 is preferred? Or are there stretches which can only be done in a 4x4?

2. Is the handling of the 4x4 not as good as the 4x2 variant (keeping in mind that my wife would also be driving occassionally)- I had read somewhere that the steering is a bit heavier and the ride is not as smooth in a 4x4 Storme.

3. Is the reliability of the 4x4 lower than the 4x2 (We have two kids, hence on long drives reliability factor holds paramount importance)

4. Is the 4x2 good enough for occasional trips to slushy roads in national parks like Corbett,etc?

5. Inputs from 4x2 Storme owners who have actually done the Leh cct and /or negotiated slushy off road trips would be highly appreciated keeping in mind that affordability is not an issue, but just that I need to go in for the right variant and not regret later.

Thanks.
Vikram - Barring all the questions you have asked, i would suggest that you blindly go in for the 4X4. In the short run, you might think it is a tad expensive on your wallet, but let me tell you as the years go by, you are just going to wish that why did i not shell out that extra lakh for a 4X4

I have a VX 4X2 and it does work well on slushy roads. But if the roads are quite muddy, the weight of the truck will force it down further and you will definitely struggle. I have not done the Leh circuit (one of my bucket list item), but i have seen various hatchbacks do this. So shouldn't be an issue
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 08:08   #2924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram mehra View Post

Thanks.
I had the similar doubt b/w 4x2 and 4x4 when I bought my DICOR in 2010. I then decided to go for 4x4 since it was [only] a lakh expensive. I am convinced more than 100% about the decision since I just dont think about where I drive unless its really ridiculous way to drive.

I am now seriously considering ARIA or STORME. If I decide to go for STORME [seems unlikely], I would again get into the same debate within myself and the only reason being the cost difference of 1.6Lakhs in Bangalore on-road price b/w 4x2 and 4x4.

Considering your wish list that you already have, you should go in for 4x4 and am sure, your list would grow without you knowing once you put your vehicle in action !

Good luck, go for 4x4, my suggestion.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 09:52   #2925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Got delivery of the storme but am unable to upload pics from my phone

Can anyone guide me how to? I'm using the Tbhp app on an iPhone 5
Congrats Himanshu on the Storme, wish you happy miles on it. Hope everything went on smooth, read your late delivery issues on another forum.

Even I am not able to upload pics using my iphone App, I simply transferred the images on laptop and then uploaded them.

Can all GGN / Delhi Storme owners plan a meet now?, we can communicate offline on email and plan it.

Last edited by garyag79 : 26th June 2014 at 09:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks