Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2013, 11:59   #316
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
But what decided things was that (1) Both my wife and I found the Storme engine to be more responsive and better car overall to drive, and (2) Both my wife and I agreed that the Storme was the better looking car.

The above coupled with (3) the fact that the girls were more comfortable with the Storme's 3rd row.

A few times a year when I need it to be a 7 seater (with my parents too on board), the kids will have to move back + some arrangement for luggage will have to be arranged in the form of a roof rack or one of those boat type things.

Are those boat type things really big enough to fit typical Indian family bags? It offers better weather protection and is more aerodynamic for sure though. Is it a better option that the M-tex type top racks (very ugly man )?
The Aria weight takes a toll on the responsiveness, though infact the Aria pure is actually faster than the Aria 4X4 Pride due to it being 200kgs lighter. Did the Aria test vehicle happen to be a Pure model if so then it should actually have a 2 sec faster 0-100 than the Storme, though if it was an older Prestige or Pride model (expecially a 4X4) then it could appear to be slower than the Strome though the mentioned 0-100 times are identical it could also be due to a clogged Air Filter in an old test mule.

The Safari Storme is no doubt the better looking on the outside even to my sensibilties.

The boat like roof rack will add to drag even when empty so don't recommend it as it will be a pain on highway drives even if the bags are all inside. Inside Thule has some elegent traditional kind roof racks that can be fitted to the roof rails.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:20   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are those boat type things really big enough to fit typical Indian family bags? It offers better weather protection and is more aerodynamic for sure though. Is it a better option that the M-tex type top racks (very ugly man )?
I did gather some details on those 'boat type things' loved the way you mentioned it. Some call it roof box, when I showed it to my kid on a vehicle passing by he had the same opinion.

Thule is the most trusted, reliable brand for roof boxes. However, a decent one may cost around 30-35K+ where they charge separately for the mount and other accessories.

Another brand that I was about to get is Inno, that's a Japan made and provides 5 years warranty, checkout tropicoolIndia (pune) or a dealer if you have in your city. They have various models available in varying size and shape, (I was looking at Air Cruiser models in specific). It should cost around 20K or less with discount if you bargain hard. Its water resistant and not full proof but I guess should protect the luggage from rains for a while and good to have a lockable roof box, you don't have to take everything down when you park your vehicle temporarily during trips. I found it a good option compared to a known brand like Thule (of course, if you have money to spend, should for Thule) better than roof racks in market which will anyway cost you around 10K or more. hth.

EDIT:
Forgot to answer the question Just get the dimensions of the roof box, all the models except the low down cruiser should be able to accommodate multiple similar bags of type that we use in air plane cabin luggage + other soft bags, carrying stuff in soft bags would become more easier with roof boxes. Like ACM mentioned just now, it will add some drag (it has to) but those are tested on very high speed highway drives for better performance and efficiency so should just be fine. It may take 15-20 minutes to dismount/mount it and store it while not in use. IMO, better than the roof racks which spoils the look if cant be dismantled.

Last edited by Ketan : 8th January 2013 at 12:26.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 12:24   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
though if it was an older Prestige or Pride model (expecially a 4X4) then it could appear to be slower than the Strome though the mentioned 0-100 times are identical it could also be due to a clogged Air Filter in an old test mule.
It was a Prestige I think. Test mule. I heard about this clogged air filter possibility from someone else as well. Wonder why a dealership would not take care of such a basic thing especially if it could be the difference between a sale and no sale. And more so for the Aria where they have a backlog of unsold 2012 Arias they are trying to clear with really neat discounts.

As a further example, the Storme tester was just a 1000 kms old. Yet there was something wrong with the cover over the horn on the steering wheel. Some repair had ben done and it was loose, so that it would rattle and make a din over rough surfaces. It was like that over the two days I drove the car - first alone and the next day with my family.

Also the rear tailgate had something wrong and was not closing properly and when it did it would rattle and shake (the internal handle etc.) over bad surfaces. This was pretty disconcerting for the kids - which made them comment that the Aria "felt safer."

Quote:
The boat like roof rack will add to drag even when empty so don't recommend it as it will be a pain on highway drives even if the bags are all inside. Inside Thule has some elegent traditional kind roof racks that can be fitted to the roof rails.
Thanks for that feedback bro. The roof rack will not be left on. It will only be fitted for long drives with 7 on board, and then taken off and left in the garage on return. Any links where I can check out designs?

P.S. Thanks for the info @Ketan (saw your post after I made this one so editing). Will check out Tropicool. They seem to have a lot of other gadgets as well. Especially interested in a GPS unit, Headrest screens, Reverse Parking Guide, and a Chill Box.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th January 2013 at 12:39.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:54   #319
Senior - BHPian

Like many other T-BHP members, I too attended the "sneak-peek" pre-launch of the Storme last Saturday, thanks to Hari. Most of the salient points have already been covered by other members quite elaborately, so I will keep my report crisp. Please note that these inputs are coming from an existing Safari (2.2 VTT Dicor) owner of 3+ years and hence will have more of a "comparative" tone
  • Most important and significant improvement - brakes! Just amazing... I could not help but exclaim loudly at more than one occasion. The bite is awesome and the braking is VERY confidence-inspiring. Thanks to the all-round discs.
  • NVH levels have been lowered significantly (I'd say by about 50-60%), both on the engine noise front as well as the wind noise front - I was able to talk (and not shout) to my co-passengers at speeds > 120 kph
  • Ride quality has further improved over the already excellent "sofa-drive" of the existing Safari. I am not sure if this can be attributed to the suspension re-tune or the hydroform chassis (I guess both) but the ride was superb, both at low speeds (over bad roads) as well as high-speeds. Some sudden lane-change maneuvers at speeds above 100 kph did not result in major body roll.
  • I found the front seats to be not as comfortable as my Safari - not sure of the exact difference but somehow seemed stiffer and not so "welcoming" as mine. Maybe something you will get used to over time.
  • Looks are again subjective and everyone will have their own perspective - no point dwelling over the same. The only thing that I particularly did not like was the relocation of spare wheel.
  • Fuel tank capacity has been reduced (from 65 lit) to 55 lit, thus reducing the range of the vehicle by around 120 km. I figured that this is a result of fuel tank relocation which in turn is a result of spare wheel relocation.
  • Interiors - I personally am not a very big fan of jazzy interiors (in fact it puts me off). I love the interiors of my Safari and hence had no reason to not like the Storme's interiors. They are basic and no-frills, with conceivable improvement in plastic quality, fit & finish. A more upmarket head-unit could have been welcome though.
  • Engine performance has definitely improved - power delivery is much more linear and in fact I ended up missing the "turbo-rush" that I get in my Safari. That said, the engine is definitely smoother/more refined and seemed capable of cruising effortlessly at 120-130 kph all day without increasing the decibel levels inside the cabin.
  • I personally did not like the gear lever - shifting was less rubbery though. Slotting could have been more precise but nothing that is bothersome. Also, I felt that the gear ratio for the overdrive has been slightly tweaked - the RPM was below 3K even at 140 kph.
  • Turning radius has reduced significantly and makes those congested U-turns in the city much more convenient
To summarize - I would definitely consider the Storme as an upgrade from my existing Safari when the time comes. What I would miss though is the lack of 4WD in the lower variants.

Last edited by cool_dube : 8th January 2013 at 13:22.
cool_dube is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 14:28   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S. Thanks for the info @Ketan (saw your post after I made this one so editing). Will check out Tropicool. They seem to have a lot of other gadgets as well. Especially interested in a GPS unit, Headrest screens, Reverse Parking Guide, and a Chill Box.
TropicoolIndia sell some of their products (marketed by them) thru Reliance as well, I remember buying an inverter and an electric kettle, their products are generally decent/good quality.

pm me your email ID, I will send a couple of pdf files for the model I was contemplating to get (BRA590), later I decided against it for a couple reasons like, its once or twice in a year kind of use for me (depending how frequently you travel with 7 on board) and also wasn't a perfect fit for my car (XUV), had a bit of fabrication work to be done on plates in mounting kit (btw, the mounting kit was part of the product here unlike Thule) etc.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 14:34   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
TropicoolIndia sell some of their products (marketed by them) thru Reliance as well, I remember buying an inverter and an electric kettle, their products are generally decent/good quality.

pm me your email ID, I will send a couple of pdf files for the model I was contemplating to get (BRA590), later I decided against it for a couple reasons like, its once or twice in a year kind of use for me (depending how frequently you travel with 7 on board) and also wasn't a perfect fit for my car (XUV), had a bit of fabrication work to be done on plates in mounting kit (btw, the mounting kit was part of the product here unlike Thule) etc.
PM'd you my email ID.

I am still in two minds about the headrest screens though as the TATA guys at Concorde say fitting such will void warranty.

Ditto for reverse guide system and speakers/amp.
Old 8th January 2013, 15:18   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ditto for reverse guide system and speakers/amp.
I have an additional camera fitted along with the OE reverse guidance system, if it is a standalone unit which does not involve the existing system and does not mess with the electricals, there would be no cause for them to deny warranty.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 15:46   #323
Senior - BHPian

This was the first such event I participated, thanks to Hari, TATA Motors & Perana. The event was organized very good.

One thing I noticed was that the TATA motors personal, was in defending note for inputs from the audience - be it the cosmetic changes mentioned by Amar, or Bench seat topic from Pavan, or 4x4 version in LX from Benny. I would have appreciated if they captured these feedback as such, and convinced the audience that this will be considered or passed back to the drawing room.

Remember their counter on the infinite years of life for the bush when asked about the maintenance cost?

Ofcourse, the persons visited are purely from technical side, and they did their job well in terms of technical clarifications.

I think most of the attendees of the pre-launch event have highlighted & summarized the TATA strome well.

One more thing I want to add is about the warranty / service from TATA. I see that they have provided 3 years or 1L KMs for warranty. Does it shows their confidence in their product or is it a marketing trend? We need to wait and watch, since its too early to comment on such.

There was also some discussions related to the "refining" the dealership issues - To put it in Mr. Premanand Shenoy voice - "Its a huge/heavy giant wheel, which have to be oiled and taken care to make it run smooth"

He was also highlighting about a dedicated bay for high end vehicles (Manza, Aria & Storme) so as to help the owners to not lose time in waiting for the service.

So, lets hope that things will be sorted out atleast in the coming years, if not in months.

Good luck, TATA.
Old 8th January 2013, 16:15   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I have an additional camera fitted along with the OE reverse guidance system, if it is a standalone unit which does not involve the existing system and does not mess with the electricals, there would be no cause for them to deny warranty.
From what I understood from the guys at Concorde, the Dicor VX came with the headrest screens from either Blaupunkt or Nippon. The loom extra is not part of the Storme's wiring, and would need to be added and possibly would not be a simple ad on but would require some cutting/splicing etc. The Safari wiring being notorious as it is, they said such would definitely affect warranty.

I am planning on an EX and want to add a Reverse Guide System (undecided as to IRVM Display/Beep type unit or Camera), the Headrest Screens (with in-built DVD player as the OE Alpine unit would not support it), and possibly also JBL speakers and maybe an amp (no sub-woofer - as that space is reserved for a mini fridge in the 3rd row compartment - a WAECCO 15 liter unit supplied by TGA for the Storme).

I am confused about the Storme's ICE. Most reviews lament the single DIN but say it is good quality with above average sound, etc. and say it has good speakers. But in the test drive car we drove the speakers were cracking at higher volumes and the sound was very flat and uninspiring with hardly any depth or bass. My 8 year old Blaupunkt (Tropical ?) in my Baleno sounds way beter.
Old 8th January 2013, 16:41   #325
Senior - BHPian

Pretty optimistic view from TML provided they get their cards this time Right.

Quote:
Tata Motors hopeful of raising mrkt share with Safari Storme

Tata Motors is hopeful of increasing its market share with the launch of a new version of sports utility vehicle (SUV) Safari Storme.

In the last fiscal the company had sold about 16,000 Safaris, he said adding the SUV market is as present 5.7 lakh units and growing at an astounding rate of 50 per cent. The vehicle market is growing at about just 6-7 per cent, he said
Details here
Old 8th January 2013, 16:55   #326
Senior - BHPian

I too attended Tata Safari Storme Prelaunch event on 5th Jan at OldeBangalore resort. Thanks to LukeSkyWalker(SriHari) and Prerna Motors (Mr. Prem Shenoy) for inviting me for the event.

I found that look is improved (not that old Safari looks bad) or I can say it is more contemporary and more like Land Roverish type. Most of the feedback have been provided by fellow attendees here are mine:

Positives:

1. Clean and more spacious engine compartment: With same engine, it look more roomier and clutter free

2. Ride and Handling: Ride and handling improved by leaps and bound and we did not notice or felt scary due to body roll during high speed. It is more confidence inspiring and this will help to further reduce the journey time during those long haul trips.

3. Spare wheel went to underneath: Even, I am Safari lover since long but do not have any crush on rear spare wheel. Now, it is more practical in two sense (a.) No need to lift up/down while changing wheel (b.) Increased rear visibility.

4. More space inside and better interiors: I felt more space inside and interiors and plastic quality improved many times. Comfortable seating with adequate space is one of my big criteria for any vehicle evaluation, actually it means during long drives for occupants of car. It is more sofa sitting and more space available to the middle seat.

5. Better steering feedback:Steering is more stable and composed and provide adequate feedback to driver.

6. Bottle holder for driver/passenger:Now it is available. Cheers . I mean long pending demand has been met by TATA.

7. Better quality integrated AC: Now I can feel that with integrated AC, it is improved and it is actually fitted properly. Also, I observed that compressor size has been increased to 1 litre in Storme. In our Safari, it is 800CC (You can observe by looking into sticker for AC gas type and quantity)

Negatives:

1. No integrated music system provision: There is no provision of two din music system or integrated music system. It is again aftermarket Alpine system. When TATA can provide Bluetooth and Two Din in Indica Vista, why not in Storme? Going forward buyers could have replaced it with integrated GPS display into it.

2. Driver/Passenger seats are not comfortable: I also observed the same as cool_dube.

3. Changed ergonomics: Driver door power windows switches gone backward compared to DICOR to facilitate the place for door handle. I found it little problematic handling switches.

Going forward, I can consider it as replacement of my Tata Safari provided that TATA should add few more gizmos/features into it. My lists are

1. Integrated HU/GPS/Bluetooth.
2. Climate Control.
3. Reclining middle seat.

Optional:
1. Tyre pressure monitors
3. Auto Headmps and Rain sensing wipers
anujmishra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 17:58   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Most important and significant improvement - brakes! Just amazing... I could not help but exclaim loudly at more than one occasion. The bite is awesome and the braking is VERY confidence-inspiring. Thanks to the all-round discs.
I tried checking your garage and did not find any commonality with mine, hence for the lack of common car between us, how would you compare Storme's braking with Fortuner (Not sure if you have driven it). If someone else has driven both and can comment it will be helpful.
Old 8th January 2013, 18:00   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
He was also highlighting about a dedicated bay for high end vehicles (Manza, Aria & Storme) so as to help the owners to not lose time in waiting for the service.
Surprizing. Manza gets a dedicated service bay but the more expensive Safari(2.2 Dicor not storme) and Grande do not get one.
Old 8th January 2013, 18:24   #329
BHPian

I got a call from Concorde Motors Bangalore inviting for TD. They are organizing it on 10th and 11th Near Banaswadi.

Last edited by Chopper : 8th January 2013 at 18:25.
Old 8th January 2013, 18:59   #330
BHPian

Even I got a invite from Concorde motor for the off road test drive of the new Safari on the 10th and 11th Jan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks