Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2013, 22:16   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
3. Construction / Structure.
4. Sheet metal thickness
5. Components - almost every single part will vary in weight.
Quiet rightly said, as the above reasons make it even heavier than the Fortuner which is a proper 7 seater with similar or larger dimensions and similar spec (In terms of 4x4 gear box etc). This resonates well with what TSK said about Safari needs to shed some more weight.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 1st January 2013 at 22:18.
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:13   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
A typical experience by a sedan user. Once you get used to this, getting into sedan will be a difficult one

Comment : I drive a sedan and am not used to drive SUV very often.

Even in my current Safari, I always keep my seat pushed all the way behind with wheel on its max top position. Of course, I am able to reach the pedals and am only 5'10".

Comment : There was no problem in reaching the pedals, but I found this a bit awkward for the first few minutes. After that you get accquainted. Can't obvoiusly say whether it is the same in the earlier Safari.

This [seat getting stuck], is [should be] primarily due to the reason we are not properly educated. Most of the times, its the seat belts that get stuck.

Comment : Well it was the SA who was giving the demo and nothing was done by me. The incident only left a negative feeling about the brand new car, nothing more.

This really makes me go with Storme as my next. But, somehow, I started thinking about ARIA for various cosmetic/features reasons !

Comment : I agree with you. I found the Storme highly comfortable to drive both at low speed within the city and also at high speed (80KMPH) on some kuccha roads.

Prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Did you feel that the positioning of the steering wheel in Storme a bit on the lower side ? How tall are you?
Sir, I am 6" tall. I felt that the range of adjustment of the steering is small. I personally feel that the seat could be slightly lower to widen the gap a little more.
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:23   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
your comment about SA doing it, but nothing done by you
Sommos, when I mentioned "we are not educated properly", I included dealership Sales Executives and Service SA's too. Its bad, but a fact that puts TML products down below other manufacturers.

Prem.
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:54   #259
BHPian

Quote:

Sir, I am 6" tall. I felt that the range of adjustment of the steering is small. I personally feel that the seat could be slightly lower to widen the gap a little more.
+1 the drivers seating position is not ergonomic for tall drivers.. I felt more comfortable sitting in a SUMO!

I'm 6ft2 in
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:11   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

I just observed from the pics - the rear diff protectors are gone? Or did I overlook?
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:12   #261
M35
BHPian

Quote:
This steering touching the thighs in Storme seems to be a common issue raised by many people who drove it.People also say it is not a deal breaker as we get used to it with time.

I am too 6.0" and am yet to drive one.In SUVs the seat positions are usually on a higher side,I guess.So may be in storme it is something to do with the Dash/steering position.
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:21   #262

Quote:
I am 5'10'' tall and I had problem getting into the car. Every time my thigh (just above the knee) bumped into the steering wheel. The old safari didn't
have this problem.
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:31   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishikt View Post
I am 5'10'' tall and I had problem getting into the car. Every time my thigh (just above the knee) bumped into the steering wheel. The old safari didn't
have this problem.
I have the same problem in my old model safari too. But i got used to it in just couple of times. Also the very first moment i sat in Storme i faced the same problem.

But thats the least of the concern, seats are very comfortable and dont fatugue the driver even on long trips.

The steering doesnt touch the knees while driving.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:34   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
This steering touching the thighs in Storme seems to be a common issue raised by many people who drove it.People also say it is not a deal breaker as we get used to it with time.
I have never said that this is a deal breaker, I've just listed my impression about certain things that I noticed during the TD. Kindly do not misunderstand me, this may be common feature for a SUV and since I own and drive a sedan I have never faced this issue earlier. As confirmed by Amit this issue was there in the old model also and other members also have faced this issue. Yes, after some time one do get accquinted and you don't even notice it. I drove the car for almost half-an-hour after that and there was no problem with operating the pedals.

I was quite impressed about the vehicle and I had rather made the following comment about the Storme :

Quote:
d. The high seating position provides a very commanding view of the road ahead and visibility was perfect. Overall, I felt the driver seat to be quite comfortable.

Last edited by Sommos : 2nd January 2013 at 11:43.
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:00   #265
M35
BHPian

Quote:
I have never said that this is a deal breaker, I've just listed my impression about certain things that I noticed during the TD. Kindly do not misunderstand me, this may be common feature for a SUV and since I own and drive a sedan I have never faced this issue earlier. As confirmed by Amit this issue was there in the old model also.

I was quite impressed about the vehicle and I had rather made the following comment about the Storme :
Relax buddy.My post wasn't directed to you.Hope that issue isn't existing in the first place itself.

I am yet to drive one next month.If there is anything of that sort and for me, if I am not comfortable with seating and steering position when I am getting in or getting out or while driving, sorry it is a deal breaker and I wouldn't spend my hard earned money on a 10L+ vehicle.
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:04   #266
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I just observed from the pics - the rear diff protectors are gone? Or did I overlook?
Yup, it is gone, but I guess it can be put back post purchase if one wishes to. I would, if I bought a Storme.
Old 2nd January 2013, 13:37   #267
Team-BHP Support

Rear diff protectors?
Err, those were bushes to dampen vibrations. Unfortunately, they were a hack.
The TVD in the storne does a much better job.
Do not worry too much about hitting the diff. Your fuel tank will be ripped apart if you try anything which can damage the diff.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:38   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

What's TVD?
And in one of the pics you described that the 4x4 transfer case has no protection.
So the previous Safari had it or not at all?
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:11   #269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What's TVD?
And in one of the pics you described that the 4x4 transfer case has no protection.
So the previous Safari had it or not at all?
Torsional Vibration damper.
Its mentioned in the review.
4x4 transfer case has no protection even in old safari. Driving through 1cm of water at speed can cause it to malfunction. Surprisingly, the xenon has protection for transfer case, which protects it against water splashes.
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:19   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Torsional Vibration damper.
Its mentioned in the review.
4x4 transfer case has no protection even in old safari. Driving through 1cm of water at speed can cause it to malfunction. Surprisingly, the xenon has protection for transfer case, which protects it against water splashes.
Thanks for the info TSK. You said Xenon has the protection. Is it possible that we can get it done for storme ? I booked my VX 4x4 and I am looking for some kind of protection. Also could you please suggest must have things for the Safari as you owns previous generation Safari. As you suggested, I opted for the extra warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks