Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2013, 19:06   #991
BHPian

Steering does touch, but is never a problem in driving. Believe me it has never created any problem for the 7.5k kms I gave done.

Innova doesn't has the road presence of storme, but qualifies as a strong contender in people mover category/ requirement. And is almost in the same price band.

Lights, I agree with ebonho, I also drive on setting 0. Mine is lx, hence I also miss the fogs, but the roof ac in other trims hits my head so had no option. Also feel the need of auxiliary lamps. Asked dealership to install fogs, but they don't have the replacement of the rotary switch (ford had done this on our fiesta), also they are really scared of touching any electricals and wiring.
They also say that the warranties and amc gets void if we get it done outside. Any help will be much appreciated.
Old 30th May 2013, 19:16   #992
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
IMO, if you want a front facing 3rd row, then you really need a people mover, and you have options there too.

You may argue that the competition has such a configurtion. If 7 seats is what you will use regularly, then the competiton does have it.

This is a point that TML would not have missed.

The Aria is available for that, and is very comfortable too.

Mods: separate post, since this post & OP's post are not part of the Storme discussion
I absolutely agree there are options in the people mover category but they all feel boring. The Aria, which looks like a bigger Innova, does fit the bill as a people mover but sorely lacks the excitement of the SUV form factor (i know this obsession with the look sounds so shallow !!!).
The alternative is the XUV which has way too much bling and my better half hates the interiors.
I really believe a well priced Storme version with 2 airbags and front facing 3rd row option will give the XUV a run for its money.
I wonder what the folk on this forum think- is Tata listening??
Old 30th May 2013, 20:12   #993
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Stock Lights for night drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Please explain Condor. I am all ears where anything to do with headlights is concerned!.

@ebonho,

setting karke dekho, khud jaan jao !

It is easier to do it yourself & check it than if I try to explain, but I'll still try. If the below doesnt make sense,

What you said is right: with load, the rear goes down & hence the light goes farther down the road. What I suggested is about manipulating the reach that each of the settings has, combined with the load the vehicle has.
Old 30th May 2013, 20:28   #994
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
While we are at service quality and feedback topic:

Anyway off late I have ditched TASS as I found a reasonably good local mechanic who understands my car's problem better than their so called expert SAs. But I have always been super satisfied with their tinkering and paint work (and this is across service stations) so for that.
Ever wondered why the MiG-21s were termed 'the flying coffins' by the media ? If not, your idea seems strangely similar - that roadside chap with an "expert" view might save you a few rupees by stretching the life of a component more than its rated life. Most of the time, it works, and depends on the quality of the part + the skill in fitting it + its rated life, date of manufacture, etc. When it fails, there's TATA to blame for poor quality. After two or three years with such experts, one sells off the vehicle by blaming TATA for poor quality, blah, blah. Do I strike a chord somewhere friend ? Can you see what I mean ?

Cost of genuine spares are more or less the same. Case in point : Front Fog lamps retrofit for my ARIA - the cost paid by me to the dealer (Autolinks) and that inquired at Kashmere Gate (auto parts market) were EXACTLY the same ! (From a Genuine TATA parts Stockist, Jai Bharat Motors). The difference is in the skill of the mechanic. To trust an individual just because he fixed a fault once is no assurance he will be able to diagnose the next properly. This business of ECUs and electronics is getting more complicated and I'm sure we will have Chinese ECUs and sensors, etc in the parts market - at half the cost, of course !

Although I agree that TATA needs to improve their after sales service, one must also look at the service provided with respect to the cost (capital purchase included). Try the service of Mahindra for the XUV and Renault for the Duster, my point then becomes amply clear.

The service chap at say, Toyota would also follow a similar routine for changing parts (as per activity chart) and charge you accordingly. One dosen't mind that - just beceause it has a big name associated with it ? It TATA tries to follow it, we squeal ! What is being attempted is process standardization, thats all.
lifebuoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 21:00   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Do I strike a chord somewhere friend ? Can you see what I mean ?
What you say is correct and I kind of agree with it. My point was not "spares" but the skill of SAs and mechanics. If you see I have for most part of my life driven a TATA, guess now for 10 years. That's a good enough time to judge a manufacturer and their service support, in my most humble opinion. Also, owning a bullet (if I can compare the workmanship of mechanics of both brands) has taught me that the mechanics need to know a thing or two about the vehicle they are repairing .

My argument was that even if after spending in thousands and thousands, they are not able to fix a problem, what do I do, keep going back to them or find an alternative which can actually "increase the life of my vehicle." (I hope I am not hijacking the thread)

Last edited by ambujlal : 30th May 2013 at 21:01. Reason: correction
Old 30th May 2013, 21:10   #996
BANNED

Quote:
1. What you say is correct and I kind of agree with it.

2. Also, owning a bullet (if I can compare the workmanship of mechanics of both brands) has taught me that the mechanics need to know a thing or two about the vehicle they are repairing .

3. My argument was that even if after spending in thousands and thousands, they are not able to fix a problem, what do I do, keep going back to them or find an alternative which can actually "increase the life of my vehicle." (I hope I am not hijacking the thread)
1. Thanks for that.
2. That's the point. With a fast changing scenario, and new technology engines (CRDi ones) has reduced this dependence on the "gut feeling skills" of the erstwhile mechanics. However, for a newbie and untrained chap, it makes life more of a hit and trial. That's the attitude of most of out workforce, unfortunately.
3. One particular centre or SA or a combination might be duff, I'm sure you all of them won't be the same ? A peculiar problem could also have roots in a design issue that needs to be taken up with TATA for resolution. Not easy, but that's the way, I guess.
Old 1st June 2013, 16:49   #997
BHPian

Is it true that TATA is working on redesigning Storme's dashboard with more goodies like 2-din HU, navigation system etc? I always wondered when Manza and vista can come with ACC, navigation, steering mounted audio control, then why not in a vehicle which costs more than a million bucks on road!
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:48   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Is it true that TATA is working on redesigning Storme's dashboard with more goodies like 2-din HU, navigation system etc? I always wondered when Manza and vista can come with ACC, navigation, steering mounted audio control, then why not in a vehicle which costs more than a million bucks on road!
Yes, potentially dash refresh and automatic shared bw aria and storme!
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 11:36   #999
BHPian

is it possible increase the fuel tank capacity of storme, the current 55lts tank capacity is very less, can we retrofit some other vehicle's tank to storme, like XUV's tank have a capacity of 70lts, or due to spare wheel movement this option is completely closed? any idea?

and is it possible to order a 4X4 on EX/LX, in LukeSilver's initial test drive report there was an indication about this "made to order" possibility, any info on this?
Old 5th June 2013, 16:35   #1000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj View Post
and is it possible to order a 4X4 on EX/LX,
Not at this time.

About the fuel tank. I dont think it can be changed. If it was possible, TML would have done it themselves ?
Old 5th June 2013, 16:46   #1001
BANNED

Quote:
is it possible increase the fuel tank capacity of storme, the current 55lts tank capacity is very less, can we retrofit some other vehicle's tank to storme, like XUV's tank have a capacity of 70lts, or due to spare wheel movement this option is completely closed? any idea?
I guess it depends on the available space below the front and rear left seats as that's where I assume the tank is (that's where it is in my ARIA). It must be there, as the Strome shares the chassis with the ARIA. The length being less, reduces the tank size from 60 lit in thr ARIA to 55 in the Storme.

Therefore, it may not be possible to fit in any larger size tank. In any case, it should last for about 600 kms at least, which is good enough range. Why carry more, increase your AUW and reduce FE anyways ?
Old 5th June 2013, 16:53   #1002
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^

Even with the Aria often had to fill diesel at intervals of 350 kms (though sometimes it was fine upto 450 kms as well). The fuel gauge would go into the red zone too early. It was a defect that I had to get corrected (with replacement of a part in the Fuel Tank) twice and even after correction I never had the nerve to go beyond 450 kms before refuelling as the amber refuel indicator is quite unnerving.

On this point do need to mention that the 3mm amber dot that Strome has as an indicator for going to low fuel range is too faint and can be missed.
Old 5th June 2013, 16:57   #1003
Senior - BHPian

In terms of carrying fuel, more is never bad, when you are into touring. A secure company designed fuel tank is always going to be better than anything you can carry to augment your range - fuel cells, auxilliary tanks, drums, to jerry cans.

I would love to have the 70 liter capacity of the XUV500 and be able to drive to Bangalore from Pune without a fuel stop. Or to Delhi with just one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
On this point do need to mention that the 3mm amber dot that Strome has as an indicator for going to low fuel range is too faint and can be missed.
Agreed. It is too small, and even with it blinking, I have missed it coming on. Another thing I noticed is that on starting the Storme after a longish gap, sometimes the blinking light comes on, and then after some time it disappears. Only to come on again after some / many kms. Is it the fuel level shifting internally, and thereby momentarily activating/deactivating the sensor?

Last edited by ebonho : 5th June 2013 at 17:00.
Old 5th June 2013, 17:04   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you just need 10L more capacity its much better to just carry a Jerry Can with you. Preferably a 10 L one, easy to carry, easy to store. Or maybe just buy a 20L Bisleri water can, IIRC it comes with a screw cap.
Old 7th June 2013, 15:17   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Agreed. It is too small, and even with it blinking, I have missed it coming on. Another thing I noticed is that on starting the Storme after a longish gap, sometimes the blinking light comes on, and then after some time it disappears. Only to come on again after some / many kms. Is it the fuel level shifting internally, and thereby momentarily activating/deactivating the sensor?
In the older Safari, the fuel tank was placed in the rear, where the current spare wheel resides. Hence when I accelerate upon getting the low fuel light, the fuel slosh (however marginal it is because of baffles in the tank etc), will make the sensor sense more fuel and the low light doesnt come on until about 8-10 kms later. Once it comes on the second time, it stays put.
Do you have the same issue? If so, it seems more of a sensor problem than the fuel tank placement.

I generally fill about 20 liters at a time and this gives me a fantastic range of about 300kms (on the highway) before I refill again. I believe with a full tank I can go 800kms atleast so effectively doing a Bangalore Mumbai with one fuel stop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks