Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2013, 22:30   #226
BANNED

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

I can't help but compare the upcoming EcoSport to the Polo TSI. It may not get the Dual-Clutch Auto with the EcoBoost, but as an enthusiast's choice, EcoBoost is going to make one hell of a practical and yet affordable car. Fiesta's DNA also promises to make it great Ride and handling Package.
I believe the 1. EcoBoost could very well see a nicely loaded version under 7.5 lacs.

For VW, they can easily shave off another lakh off the price, by going for the Manual. They almost seem to force us to buy AT!
In this configuration, at this price, the Polo TSI will be an even rarer species than the Polo 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Momo corse black alloys, projector headlamps and a remap....get it on ! Its also the cheapest petrol turbo in the market
No remaps allowed!!
It is the limitation of the DSG 'box. It won't work correctly with different state of tune.
Another reason for us to wait for a possible Manual variant.

Ofcourse, the real hot-hatch(Or Warm internationally) is coming soon, wait for the Punto Abarth

Last edited by agambhandari : 29th April 2013 at 22:33.
Old 29th April 2013, 22:54   #227
BHPian

Eagerly waiting for this engine to be planted on the Fabia: a strong heart on a good body package.
Old 29th April 2013, 23:04   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Now suddenly, when the 1.2 TSI is launched with similar horsepower and the same dynamics and that too with an auto box (DSG is auto end of the day); most of us seem to praise this car as the best enthusiast hatch. When did an AT become an enthusiast favorite. Did the steering and other dynamics change from the 1.6 Polo.
I agree. To be honest I was never really impressed by the spec sheet of the 1.2 TSI. It has power similar to the Vento diesel and a lot less torque. In other words the 1.6L Tdi is a better performer than the 1.2 Tsi. And lets leave aside the fact that the 1.6 Tdi is a diesel and it is a lot less thirsty.
So while the 1.2 Tsi is probably good, it is not right to treat is as some kind of hot hatch.

Regarding handling, it may not be the best in the segment (Figo/Punto/Swift). But I don't think even the enthusiasts will complain about its road manners. And specially with 104 BHP, there is nothing to fear. People are cribbing about rear disc brakes. Well, let me tell you that some other car needs the rear disc brakes much more than this one. The Vento Diesel. It has more torque similar power, weighs more. But I dont remember a single soul mentioning about its absence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
For fun driving, I would still prefer a swift or Liva 1.5 as VFM buy. Guess VW will use this only as a showcase of their TSI and DSG technologies to the mass market.
The Swift petrol lacks punch at the low end. The Liva 1.5 is also expensive considering the hideous looks & appalling interiors. Truth is this is unfortunately the best petrol hatch to own. But definitely not worth the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
And about other dynamics means the suspension? I recently drove a friend's TDI Polo where VW installed some spacer on the suspension. Those were installed to make the front suspension stiffer so that pitching can be reduced. When I drove that Polo, it suddenly became my favorite handler in the segment because of the reduced body roll and pitching at lower speeds.
Thats a great information. I will ask the service guys to get it done in my vento as well. Any more information regarding this would be hugely appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyasachetan View Post
Guys
But if we have to compare numbers only how does it fare with the rapid/vento tdi and the swift diesel which do good 20 to 80 and 40 to 100 timings. Does the GT do better here ?
Chetan
These roll on times are difficult to perform in an AT. It all depends how much is the DSG forgiving in Manual mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Pricing of VW Polo GT TSI 1.2L at 7.99 Lakhs ( Ex-Showroom Delhi) is not a surprising figure as we all have been contemplating a price in similar bracket. I personally feel its not too wrongly priced as you'll be shelling out for that delicious high revving engine, superb cutting edge gear-box and also segment first safety features.
the 8L pricing has killed most customers looking for a turbo petrol.
However the DSG can be a selling point. You cant get a DSG at less than 8L.
That's why a manual option at 6.5-7L would be a great choice.
Old 30th April 2013, 00:09   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Thats a great information. I will ask the service guys to get it done in my vento as well. Any more information regarding this would be hugely appreciated.
I overheard a discussion at the VW service center a few weeks back - the spacer is being installed in Diesel Polo only and not on Vento or petrol polo.
sadnabrina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 00:14   #230
BHPian

I am so tempted to buy this. For the first time some manufacturer has had the guts to plonk in a fun engine, a good gear box (by principle DSG is a fantastic gearbox leave the reliability issues aside) and I should do my part as an enthusiast by seriously considering it.

I know we find issues with gearbox and the price and I know folks have compared to the Honda City AT, which is 2.5 lakhs more and comes with extra features that I do not need. So this to me is an ideal hot-hatch.

There is only one thing stopping me buying this - Punto Abarth. Will wait a few months for the Abarth and If that is out of my budget will scout around for a good discount on this car. I'm confident of the discount because a lot of members in our elite group of BHPians (judging by the posts) have termed this car ridiculous, now as Team-BHP is considered as a forum of car enthusiasts and rejection at this level (which I dont think is fair by the way) will only replicate in bad sales in the market overall, a market that emphasize on features more than character.

Last edited by azeemhafiz : 30th April 2013 at 00:20. Reason: Making some grammatical corrections
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 00:41   #231
BHPian

So Polo 1.2 TSI, the much anticipated hot hatch getting a bit a beating from our forum when they announced the price. I will agree to the fact that it takes a bit of thinking before someone shells out nearly 10L for a hatchback in India. But then I think we need to give it to VW for being bold and giving a turbo charged petrol engine to this country's automobile industry.

IMO Volkswagen got a bit confused about the positioning of this car in our country. On one hand they call it as a GT and try to attract the petrol heads and on the other hand they are also trying to get the attention of the common man who is conscious of the fuel efficiency. I think its here that they went wrong.

If they wanted to carry a GT tag and make the petrol heads drool over this car, then they should have made the exteriors a bit more, well say exciting. 16" wheels, leather seats, a touch screen navigation, paddle shifters and demand a premium somewhere 50 K ( 8.5 or more ex showroom ) to the existing price. Real petrol heads would have loved the car and would have shelled out the extra cash for the features that the car offered.

For others who just want a Turbo kick in their petrol cars, they should have offered the same car with 15" wheels, manual gearbox, ABS airbags, same interior trim as the current car with a price bit more than the 1.2 Highline petrol.

VW pricing and the launch have only made one company exciting. Fiat! , if rumors are to be believed then the Punto Abarth priced in this region can really become a winner!
Old 30th April 2013, 08:40   #232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
I know we find issues with gearbox and the price and I know folks have compared to the Honda City AT, which is 2.5 lakhs more and comes with extra features that I do not need. So this to me is an ideal hot-hatch.
Thinking about it, I don’t see many extra features in the Honda City. Since have a boot qualifies a For the top end, you need to pay 2 lakhs extra (ex-showroom), and if it’s with a sun-roof the difference become 3 lakhs+. And if I compare the GT TSI with the Amaze 1.2 VX AT, I find the latter grossly over-priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
There is only one thing stopping me buying this - Punto Abarth. Will wait a few months for the Abarth and If that is out of my budget will scout around for a good discount on this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
VW pricing and the launch have only made one company exciting. Fiat! , if rumors are to be believed then the Punto Abarth priced in this region can really become a winner!
Very different categories IMO. If there should be a competitor from the Fiat stable, that should be the Punto with the 1.4 T-Jet engine. Even the base spec Abarth should cost around double of GT TSI’s price.

Actually Suzuki can make this segment (of premium entry-level petrol hatchbacks) hotter by launching the 134 bhp Swift Sports 1.6.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 08:44   #233
BHPian

Agree with you about the reactions. Most of the posts seem to be about the price for the Hatcback forgetting about the technology and features on offer. If the same is offer on Vento even at 12L, somehow that would be VFM. I find the price quite reasonable and wouldn't mind a higher price if VW puts a wider tyre, body kit and Sporty driver seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Unfortunately even members of premium forums like TBHP are not able to come out of typical indian mindsets. How else can we expect to get reactions like this to a product like Polo TSI? VW should be foolish to position this as a mass product in a price conscious country like India? We are forgetting that VW is trying to launch a sporty car in a country where we are made to believe that extra stickering and alloys can form a sport variant? This car is not for an average joe and if there are some enthusiasts willing to part this kind of money let them buy it..!! It is pathetic to compare it to cars like Honda city on price front.I agree VW should have provided more like rear disc brake, body kit etc for this price.
Old 30th April 2013, 09:14   #234
Senior - BHPian

I've just gone through the VW India site and it mentions the Polo GT as having 4-cylinders, whereas this post mentions only three cylinders. Is this a last minute update from VW?

http://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/model...d12ccfb2f688e1
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 09:17   #235
Senior - BHPian

The existing 75hp Polo has a 3-pot motor while the GT TSI has 4 cylinders.

Any idea how much the clutch replacement in a DSG cost.

VW should and will bring the manual. A 7.5 -7.75 OTR, it would seem well worth for the highline.

VW should and will use this in every possible application (Rapid, Vento, Fabia, sub-4m Vento). Its only a matter of time.

Last edited by dipen : 30th April 2013 at 09:24. Reason: Honestly clicked the thanks on the above post by mistake :)
Old 30th April 2013, 09:32   #236
BHPian

Thanks for such a lovely review mobike008.

In all likelihood I will be booking this model. I also had a brief drive a week ago and liked all it had to offer.

To me it provides my desired degree of driving comfort and pleasure for city as well as long distance. It also has higher torque at lower rpm which is desired very often whenever one is behind a slower moving vehicle. I rarely redline my cars, am no pedal pusher and want to relax and enjoy a steady / lazy drive whenever I am behind the wheels.

I also like the fact that this package is available in a small car - wouldn't have bought if this were available in a Vento - as I find that smaller cars also offer relatively tension free drive in my city (Bangalore).

There are risks of lower reliability and higher maintenance costs including for the DSG box. But I am willing to take that risk in return for the comfort & pleasure offered by this package.

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 30th April 2013 at 09:37.
Old 30th April 2013, 10:05   #237
BHPian

I have been badly waiting for a good AT hatch / compact suv under 10 lakhs since 1 year now. I want to replace my existing Ritz Vdi with a powerful AT which is also efficient (AT solely for wifey's part of the driving). A good AT is a dream come true in Mumbai traffic jams, giving you both peace of mind and hassle free driving experience (leading to lower road rage IMHO).

I will wait for couple more months to check AT options from Punto Abarth and Ecosport, if none are this good - I will go for the Polo GT for sure (with aftermarket 205/15 shoes, side skirting and leather seats)
Old 30th April 2013, 10:33   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

VW must really be aiming at a very niche segment of customers, to be reached through direct marketing for the Polo GT TSI. I scanned the papers here in Chennai and there is no advertisement, not even a small news piece about the launch of this car !

One generally sees a new piece even when a variant of a moped is launched - - but no coverage for such a completely new variant of a mainstream car!
Old 30th April 2013, 10:34   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Eagerly waiting for this engine to be planted on the Fabia: a strong heart on a good body package.
I doubt if they will introduce this engine in the current Fabia because the Fabia is based on previous generation Polo (MK IV) and it is reaching to end of its life cycle. New eneration Fabia is long due from Skoda. VAG have also started using their MQB universal platform. Now there are two possibilities, one is that the new Fabia is based on the MQB platform or it is based on the current generation Polo MK V platform. Sales performance of Fabia also has been disappointing in the recent past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
One generally sees a new piece even when a variant of a moped is launched - - but no coverage for such a completely new variant of a mainstream car!
Isn't it typical VAG behavior? they have silently launched other products and refreshed models as well in the past. I rather like their way. They just launch the product, have a media talk, and forget about it. Now if you like the product then buy it, if you don't like, leave it.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 30th April 2013 at 10:42.
Old 30th April 2013, 10:37   #240
Senior - BHPian

I don't know what to make of the pricing. To me, 9.6lac on road for a 1.2TSI is really steep. At the other end, you have the diesel Swift and Punto that costs about a lac less. The i20 1.4 top spec diesel and petrol are in the GT price range. Is VW importing the engine and gearbox for the GT? If Yes; VW are not gaining much from so called excise benefits for small capacity engines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks