Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:30   #1726
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Polo GT TSI owners,
I read in Autocar july issue that Volkswagen is replacing the oil in the DSG gearbox with Mineral oil, and doing software change for the gearbox.
They are doing this for Polo GT TSI as precautionary measure.

Is this correct news? Has any one been contacted by dealers already?
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:55   #1727

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Polo GT TSI owners,
I read in Autocar July issue that Volkswagen is replacing the oil in the DSG gearbox with Mineral oil, and doing software change for the gearbox.
Correct.
I had received a call from VW two weeks back and fixed up an appointment. Got the work done last week.
This recall by VW regarding the gearbox is called the 34F6 campaign.
The TSI has an adaptive DSG, i.e it learns , post service its been reset . I've felt it , and have also confirmed this with their technical advisor.
Requiem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:34   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Correct.
I had received a call from VW two weeks back and fixed up an appointment. Got the work done last week.
This recall by VW regarding the gearbox is called the 34F6 campaign.
The TSI has an adaptive DSG, i.e it learns , post service its been reset . I've felt it , and have also confirmed this with their technical advisor.
That is a really positive sign.
As a VW owner, i am really happy to deduce that VW is starting to care for it's customers by taking good measures like this.
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:25   #1729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Polo GT TSI owners,
I read in Autocar july issue that Volkswagen is replacing the oil in the DSG gearbox with Mineral oil, and doing software change for the gearbox.
They are doing this for Polo GT TSI as precautionary measure.

Is this correct news? Has any one been contacted by dealers already?
Has anyone got the gearbox oil replaced in delhi?

i have tried having it replaced at VW Metropolitan but for the past 1 month they are just giving excuses like we dont have confirmation from VW, the oil is not available, the software is not available etc
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:23   #1730
BANNED

In the Polo 1.2L GT TSI Club...!!!

I'm not much of a writer. neither do i journal a lot. hence i won't start my own ownership thread.

This thread already exists with all the information needed for us normal users of the GT Tsi. The wonderful threads by prithwi and robi exist as an great example for people who want to do mods and take their GT Tsi experience to the next level.

What i will do is briefly share my experience from buying to now driving the car for almost 4 days.

I bought the GT Tsi from VW North Delhi and had a very pleasant experience with the SA and his manager right from the time of inquiry, through documentation process and delivery of the vehicle. All our questions and doubts were clarified promptly, myself and my family were treated very courteously on our visits to the showroom and the entire process was very smooth.

Observations about the car are what most people have found. It runs the way it should. power delivery is awesome and linear and gearshifts are smooth and get smoother still as it moves from 1 to 7. I haven't tried the S mode yet as i'm taking it easy till atleast a 1000 kms.

Mods done so far.

1. Changed tyres to 195 65 15 Michelin Primacy 3ST. Man, these tyres are great. Silent, smooth, soft and grippy. I was very keen on 205 55 15 as i wanted that fat look but after having michelin energy xm2 in my swift and liking them a lot i wanted to stay with the same brand. tyre dealer told me there is no 205 55 15 in michelin as of now but if it comes in the future i can upgrade to that size with a good buy back on the 3ST.

2. Seat covers in black/red fabric.

Mods to be done in next few days/weeks.

1. Black Wrap on roof.
2. GTI/Rline Grill and some cosmetic stuff like badges etc to stand out a bit.
3. Flat bottom steering with Paddles.
4. Headlight upgrades.
5. Arm Rest

I have intentionally tanked up with regular petrol from BP for the first run as i want to experience the regular fuel first. Next tankful i will fill in Speed 97 to see what differences i feel with it. I hope to find the same differences as chronicled by prithwi in his GT.

I spoke to the service engineer in regards the the mineral oil change. he told me he's get updates for as to which cars have to be done and changes happen accordingly. He told me once my registration is done he my car's vin number will come up if the the oil change is required and not come up if the car has by default mineral oil in it. he told me to call him a couple of days after registration to check with him if the oil change is required but regardless if it comes up they will contact me anyways.

Some Questions to which i looking for answers...

1. Do i need to baby her for running in during the initial kms or can i start using the S mode and foot heavy from now itself ? If running in needed then for how many kms ?

2. ST3 from dealer came with 32psi all around. they were silent and smooth but a bit jumpy. i changed them to 29psi at front and 26psi at back. Now it's smoother and more planted but a little noisy. how is this ? what psi are you guys maintaining ?

3. Can you guys suggest a place in delhi where i can get high quality wrap for my roof ? Ideally should cost how much ?

Thanks to all members and i will continue to post my experiences in this thread and ask questions and help others who have doubts as my knowledge of the GT Tsi increases over a period of time... Cheers

Rana.
rana_kirti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 21:00   #1731
BANNED

additional observations and queries...

4. The tyre dealer place did wheel balancing but did not do alignment. I feel a very slight left pull. feels the steering tilts a just little to the left on its own. Is the alignment off and do i need to get wheel alignment done on a brand new car ?

5. I'd also like to paint the rims black or golden ? Which do you guys think will suit most on a red car with a black roof ? Can you suggest a place in Delhi where get my rims painted with high quality paint which wont start to chip off in 6 months ?

Cheers
Old 3rd July 2014, 08:51   #1732
BHPian

Hi All, I had booked a GT TSI around 20 days back, when the news on the new facelift launch had started surfacing. Checked with my dealer but they had no clue back then, but a week later atleast confirmed the launch on July 15th. But they have no idea for the GT versions, whether a facelift will be launched with the regular Polo, or at a later stage (Aug/Sept) as some news reports suggest.
For the time being I've asked them to keep my booking on hold as I would like to get my hands on the new version. The wait is getting tougher with no concrete info! Anybody here has some info on GT facelift launch date?
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:17   #1733
BHPian

Re: In the Polo 1.2L GT TSI Club...!!!

Some Questions to which i looking for answers...

1. Do i need to baby her for running in during the initial kms or can i start using the S mode and foot heavy from now itself ? If running in needed then for how many kms ?

NO. Drive her like you stole it. Full throttle runs, plus the normal day to day running. No need to baby her. Best way to break-in a turbo motors. Unlike N.A motors they are not high compression so the smoothing happens via hard driving.

2. ST3 from dealer came with 32psi all around. they were silent and smooth but a bit jumpy. i changed them to 29psi at front and 26psi at back. Now it's smoother and more planted but a little noisy. how is this ? what psi are you guys maintaining ?

I Keep mine at 32/32 for best fuel efficiency. 29/32 in the back for handling, more steering feel at the cost of fuel efficiency. AutoX I keep it at 28/30. Great grip even on loose surfaces. 29/26 is the wrong pressure for this car.

3. Can you guys suggest a place in delhi where i can get high quality wrap for my roof ? Ideally should cost how much ?

Lots of Options- 3M, Retrowraps, Autopsyche, SteamandShine, IDE AutoWerks. Ur call where u want it and what suits ur budget.

4. The tyre dealer place did wheel balancing but did not do alignment. I feel a very slight left pull. feels the steering tilts a just little to the left on its own. Is the alignment off and do i need to get wheel alignment done on a brand new car ?

Alignment shouldnt be off on a new car. Most likely its the tire pressures. Also most RHD cars are designed to pull left a bit to ensure that you dont crash onto oncoming traffic if you faint at the wheel. Worst case you can goto a suspension shop and have ur tie rods adjusted.

5. I'd also like to paint the rims black or golden ? Which do you guys think will suit most on a red car with a black roof ? Can you suggest a place in Delhi where get my rims painted with high quality paint which wont start to chip off in 6 months ?

GOLDEN!! Or Matt bronze. Again, lots of shops do it. Where you go depends on distance from you and ur comfort level.
prithwi-81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:13   #1734
BANNED

rana_kirti
Congrats mate for the new ride
Did you get any discount ? whats the OTR price ?
Old 4th July 2014, 16:03   #1735
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
rana_kirti
Congrats mate for the new ride
Did you get any discount ? whats the OTR price ?
no discounts brother. dont have the exact figures on me right now. i'll update from home. i did not take zero dep. also i didn't take 2 yrs extended warranty as i need to think about it a bit after reading what robi had replied to my query on this earlier. i also found out that the extended warranty does not have to bought at the time of purchase and can be procured at different price points within 2 yrs of purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
VW is very finicky about their warranty. Once the guys told me that I would loose electrical warranty even if I changed the headlamp bulb. Any modification which is not done in a dealership will void warranty as per them. If the dealership owner/manager is a friend they overlook a few things but steering mod is definitely not one of them. Maybe you can try to ask the dealership to get you the facelift flat bottom steering so as to not void warranty. Component speaker is a hit or miss with electrical warranty. Tyres they may not be bothered unless an esp or suspension warranty is claimed. As for remap, they will never find out unless you tell them so or they look for it specifically when a critical engine component warranty is claimed. Then again, remap can be reverted to stock for free within minutes through the OBD.

Stop worrying about the DSG and enjoy the car. Its no fun keeping the DSG thing at the back of your mind all the time. If you keep googling for DSG issues you will loose your peace of mind; instead drive sensibly and follow some basic rules like regular service/check up, shifting to N while at longish traffic signals, idling for 30sec after a long drive, not revving like a maniac just after a cold start etc. VAG cars need some TLC to have a fun and trouble free ownership.
thanks for the comforting words. car's here now and i'm enjoying it. i believe the dsg won't give any problems and now that they are changing the oil to mineral it should be bulletproof.

i read through your post many times over but i couldn't get one thing. i understand that changing bulb, speakers will affect the electrical warranty, changing tyres affect the esp or suspension warranty and so on. but most buyers i believe are getting the extended warranty for the peace of mind in regards to the DSG gearbox and vw is generating confidence in buyers by offering a extended warranty.

But can they relate a DSG failure to specifically to these mods, like say... flat bottom paddle steering wheel or remap or fatter tyres ? For someone doing the above mods does it make any sense in getting the 2 yrs extended warranty in the first place ?

Cheers

Last edited by rana_kirti : 4th July 2014 at 16:04.
Old 4th July 2014, 22:30   #1736
BHPian

No point in claiming warranty on a modded car. You mod it for better power, you put more stress on all mechanical components, you mod it for handling, you put more stress on the chassis. VW is selling the car as 105 HP DSG. If you have 130hp n your DSG blows, thats not their problem and rightfully so. They are selling a car with 15 inch wheels and 185 tires. If your brakes, abs, bearings etc mess up due to 16 inch + 205 tires, they will not warranty it.

HOWEVER, if your ac switch doesnt work or your cluster has an issue or your door handle jams; that you can claim warranty on.
Old 4th July 2014, 23:10   #1737
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post

Alignment shouldnt be off on a new car. Most likely its the tire pressures. Also most RHD cars are designed to pull left a bit to ensure that you dont crash onto oncoming traffic if you faint at the wheel. Worst case you can goto a suspension shop and have ur tie rods adjusted.
This is not correct. If at all, a RHD car will pull to the right and not the left. This is because of international road designs which will be sloped towards from the right to the left for RHD countries. The slope is to let the water drain to the gutters on the left. This is called as road crown (Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_design_of_roads)

To compensate for this road crown, by design a RHd car will pull to the right. Ofcourse in India roads are not designed scientifically so even manufacturers don't follow it as much. There maybe some manufacturers that do design this pull but it will be to the right and not to the left.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 5th July 2014 at 15:15.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 01:08   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is not incorrect. If at all, a RHD car will pull to the right and not the left. This is because of international road designs which will be sloped towards from the right to the left for RHD countries. The slope is to let the water drain to the gutters on the left. This is called as road crown (Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_design_of_roads)

To compensate for this road crown, by design a RHd car will pull to the right. Ofcourse in India roads are not designed scientifically so even manufacturers don't follow it as much. There maybe some manufacturers that do design this pull but it will be to the right and not to the left.
Drive any EU manufacturers car and they will pull to the left only marginally and you can only notice this in the flat state of the art circuit called buddh.

Normally you wont notice it much as ur hands are on the wheel, but its pretty evident at high speeds when u let go of the wheel at buddh on either of the long straights that the car slowly pulls to the left.

All my BMWs, Mercs, skoda's and VWs have done the same. What makes it more apparent in the polo is the EPS which doesnt force center as hard as a normal hydraulic steering would do.

The EU design guidelines and laws mandate such a design element in all their cars RHD or LHD.

Most Japanese cars i own don't do it as its not part of their design/safety regulations/guidelines in their home region. Last I checked america also had this law in place. LHD car will pull to right and RHD car will pull to left by design.

Back to your question, if the pull is VERY evident rana, then there is something wrong with your toe alignment. might be ur left toe is a bit more out than the right toe. Best check is bleed air to 20psi, refill to 32 and go for a drive on a flattish road. center the wheel and see if the pull is excessive. If it is get the alignment done at any shop. Just the toe, nothing more u can adjust in the Polo.

Last edited by prithwi-81 : 5th July 2014 at 01:12.
prithwi-81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 07:13   #1739
BANNED

I drove around yesterday like that. it just needs a small correction to the from going left all the time.

in other words, lets says the steering turns to the left of center a little more easily than the right of center which feels a little tighter/harder to turn.

I'll try the remedies mentioned today.

Last edited by rana_kirti : 5th July 2014 at 07:20.
Old 5th July 2014, 08:38   #1740
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Drive any EU manufacturers car and they will pull to the left only marginally and you can only notice this in the flat state of the art circuit called buddh.

Normally you wont notice it much as ur hands are on the wheel, but its pretty evident at high speeds when u let go of the wheel at buddh on either of the long straights that the car slowly pulls to the left.

All my BMWs, Mercs, skoda's and VWs have done the same. What makes it more apparent in the polo is the EPS which doesnt force center as hard as a normal hydraulic steering would do.

The EU design guidelines and laws mandate such a design element in all their cars RHD or LHD.

Most Japanese cars i own don't do it as its not part of their design/safety regulations/guidelines in their home region. Last I checked america also had this law in place. LHD car will pull to right and RHD car will pull to left by design.
Even a track will not be flat cause then water would accumulate in puddles. The road has to have a crown or a slope to one side. Even more critical on a track to prevent standing water.

And if the car pulls to the left on track as yousay then it will be even worse on the public roads cause then you have the left pull off the car plus left pull off the road Crown. This will make all EU cars undrivable almost.

Do you have a link to EU design guidelines and mandates that specify this. I'm asking cause I have no where read this except for the road Crown.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks