Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-499.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by the13thtee (Post 3462511)
What? :Shockked:

I've been driving my Ecosport 1.5 P Manual Transmission since August last year, done >11000 kms. The best mileage I've got is a bit more than 14 kmpl on highways without the AC turned on and speeds <100 kmph without redlining the engine with 3-4 passengers and a decent luggage (tank full to tank full method quite a few times). In city, the mileage on an average is 12-13 kmpl with/without the AC turned on.

Moreover, Ford claims the ARAI figures for the 1.5P as 15.8 kmpl. I believe there are two cases.

Case 1: Either your driving style is too good (better than the ARAI testing technique). In that case I recommend offering your Ecosport to Ford India for a test of exceptional mileage.

Case 2: Or the app/method you are using might have some bugs.

My advice while driving a 1.5 P manual? The AC kills the pick up. Keep it revving above 2000 RPM and you'll be clap:, otherwise trust me, you'll be disappointed.

In either case, I am contented with my fuel bills

Guys I am not able to download the latest software update of Sync. There is a error that is popping up every time. If someone has that file with them then can u upload or send it to me somehow.
Thanks.

Is it common for a thread to cross 500 pages?
Or is it that it shows the interest people have in this wonderful vehicle?

500 is almost here

Interest in a wonderful vehicle is true, and justified. Sadly, though, there is a negative side to the length of the thread, which the actions of Ford and its dealers.

Hi, Test drove Ecosport - Diesel, again today, from a different dealer.
Strangely, was again, NOT comfortable with it,, NOTHING wrong with the Vehice - please dont get me wrong, But, I somehow am not getting to be comfortable with this vehicle..be it the acceleration, I felt the some kind of heavy-ness, not at responding to my inputs,
And, it did not help that, the TD was only for 2/3 KMS,,
This is my 2nd test drive,

Post this, en-way to Shivaji Nagar(Pune), spotted a Skoda Dealer - and out of just curiosity - went and checked the Rapid Diesel, and Boy - I am blown away by it.
I have not even botherd to look at Skoda - heavily biased against it - because of bad A.S.S and Expensive Spares - My cousin has a Rapid from last year+,, though,, no way of confirming it personally - other than general feedback on web and word of mouth.

And Now, I have almost changed my mind to drop Ecosport and go for Rapid,
Just read about the similarities with Vento, Will be checking on Vento as well,
Keep you posted on my final decision,

Is this a one off case?
or, there are guys who do change their mind after being so near to making a decision on their next ride - most of it based on feedback on TBHP.

MODS: please note, my intention is not to inadvertently bring in a discussion of another Car in this Thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemant_Joshi (Post 3465815)
Hi, Test drove Ecosport - Diesel, again today, from a different dealer.
Strangely, was again, NOT comfortable with it,, NOTHING wrong with the Vehice - please dont get me wrong, But, I somehow am not getting to be comfortable with this vehicle..be it the acceleration, I felt the some kind of heavy-ness, not at responding to my inputs,
And, it did not help that, the TD was only for 2/3 KMS,,
This is my 2nd test drive,

I got the same feeling after driving the ecosport on a couple of occasions.

Not powerful enough is the main lacking feature.

However, i did ask for a quote & delivery timing at Bhagat Ford in Ludhiana. & was promised delivery within the week depending on the color for diesel titanium model.

Infact the sales attitude seems to have pleasently changed overnight .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemant_Joshi (Post 3465815)
Just read about the similarities with Vento, Will be checking on Vento as well,
Keep you posted on my final decision,

I think you got to decide what you want from your car. While cross-shopping is fine, you buy a Ecosport or a Rapid for totally different virtues.

Why the Ecosport got too many bookings when the car was launched, was because a lot of people thought, "there's a car going for cheap, let me go and get one", without even wondering for a moment whether it is a "compact pseudo SUV" that they need.

You need to decide first what you want, CSUV or a sedan. A problem with buying what is cheap and not what you need is, you would eventually see only the bad virtues in it and then start hating what you bought.

And, if it would be of any help to you, if not for the higher ground clearance and an upright seating position, I would have bought a Vento or a Rapid instead of Ecosport.

I was travelling from Bangalore to Mangalore on Friday evening when I realised that the wiper washer is not working. The wiper motor is working, but washing fluid isn't coming out. I checked the reservoir and it is near to full. Is there anything else that I need to check or will I have to take to the service station?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zteg (Post 3466079)
I was travelling from Bangalore to Mangalore on Friday evening when I realised that the wiper washer is not working. The wiper motor is working, but washing fluid isn't coming out. I checked the reservoir and it is near to full. Is there anything else that I need to check or will I have to take to the service station?

When you pull the washer stalk, do you hear a whine? If yes then it's working fine but the pipe from the washer fluid reservoir to the nozzle has come off or bit by a rat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3466083)
When you pull the washer stalk, do you hear a whine? If yes then it's working fine but the pipe from the washer fluid reservoir to the nozzle has come off or bit by a rat.

No, I dont hear a whine. The only sound I hear is the wiper motor.
Tried pulling the pipe. It is held tightly on both the ends. So I guess it has not come off.
If the pipe is bit by a rat, wont there a water leak whenever wash is activated?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zteg (Post 3466245)

No, I dont hear a whine. The only sound I hear is the wiper motor.
Tried pulling the pipe. It is held tightly on both the ends. So I guess it has not come off.
If the pipe is bit by a rat, wont there a water leak whenever wash is activated?

Why don't you check the fuse once.

Hope the pipe is not twisted anywhere.

Anurag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zteg (Post 3466079)

The front or the rear? I explicitly recall my car's rear wash wipe not working (Ford Figo) and one of our members (from Team-BHP) who drove a Ford in the US said to pull the wiper control stalk for a bit longer than normal. It worked. This trait is common in Ford cars. Suggest you try this once. Should work similarly for front washer as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksport (Post 3466043)
Why the Ecosport got too many bookings when the car was launched, was because a lot of people thought, "there's a car going for cheap, let me go and get one", without even wondering for a moment whether it is a "compact pseudo SUV" that they need.

And, if it would be of any help to you, if not for the higher ground clearance and an upright seating position, I would have bought a Vento or a Rapid instead of Ecosport.

Spot on!

EcoSport is definitely not a full-blown SUV by most standards -- it is not 4WD, has very basic off-road capability and its engine (though not under-powered) does not give a peppier driving experience. By international standards, most compact SUVs are at least 4.25 m long and EcoSport's length is below 4m.

Most people fell for EcoSport thinking... "Hey! I can buy a fully-loaded good-looking compact SUV for less than 10 lakhs". And therefore, disappointment among some is obvious.

In my eyes, EcoSport is nothing but a premium hatch-back with 200mm ground clearance, excellent driving position, good aesthetics and some really good gadgets.

General note to potential buyers:

Contrary to popular opinion, diesel engine is not Ford's forte. Ford is an American company and US is its largest market. Most Americans are petrol-heads (unlike Europeans) and therefore, Ford focuses more on Petrol engines compared to Diesel ones. Most of Ford's diesel car sales are in Europe and their diesel engines are primarily developed by European centers. The TDCi engine itself was developed by a JV with France's PSA Peugeot Citroën.

Definitely, European car-makers have more experience and expertise in diesel engines compared to their American counterparts.

So, I first decided whether I wanted a petrol or diesel car... that helped me effectively narrow down my prospective cars and saved a lot of time test driving random cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsunn (Post 3466289)
Most people fell for EcoSport thinking... "Hey! I can buy a fully-loaded good-looking compact SUV for less than 10 lakhs". And therefore, disappointment among some is obvious.

In my eyes, EcoSport is nothing but a premium hatch-back with 200m ground clearance, excellent driving position, good aesthetics and some really good gadgets.

Where do you get this logic from. Do you actually think customers are so gullible that they bought the ecosport thinking it is a SUV? The minute you drive it and sit inside you know the only SUV thing about it is the higher seating position, else it drives like a regular car.

If someone want's an SUV, even the Duster should not be in picture in that case. The only thing it offers extra over the Ecosport is a larger boot.

The Ecosport is for someone who wants something bigger than a hatch but not a full blown sedan. Secondly he wants some ability to tackle bad roads which low slung sedans cannot but not full off road capability.

It's kind of everything in one package but not excel in one department alone. So ride/handling is a compromise over a sedan but better than SUV, ground clearance is way better than any sedan or hatch.

Quote:

General note to potential buyers:

Contrary to popular opinion, diesel engine is not Ford's forte. Ford is an American company and US is its largest market. Most Americans are petrol-heads (unlike Europeans) and therefore, Ford focuses more on Petrol engines compared to Diesel ones. Most of Ford's diesel car sales are in Europe and their diesel engines are primarily developed by European centers. The TDCi engine itself was developed by a JV with France's PSA Peugeot Citroën.
This is like saying that Maruti diesel engines should be avoided since they get it from Fiat and themselves are not good in diesel engines. Or let's not buy Honda diesel engine cars since Honda is new to diesel engines in India. Just a silly reason to not buy the car.

The engine in the Fiesta, Figo and Ecosport is developed along with Peugeot and Citroen and that doesn't mean Ford doesn't care about it and concentrates only on petrol engines.

The 1.4 TDCI was a bench mark in driveability and the 1.5 offers the best combination of performance and driveability.

Diesel engines are popular in Europe and India mostly and there is not a single manufacturer which puts priority on diesel engines only.

VW has got the TSI engine which is now deployed in US. Honda had only one diesel engine and till recently had said our diesel engines won't work in India. Their diesel engine lineup has been the same 1.6L and 2.0L engines for a while now.

Toyota sells a lousy 1.4L D-4d engine in India and have gone to BMW for diesel engines internationally. I am not considering the utility vehicle engines like Fortuner and Innova's since those are based on the pickup trucks for utility use.

So let's leave out the silly comments that diesel engines are not Ford's Forte.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3466298)
Where do you get this logic from. Do you actually think customers are so gullible that they bought the ecosport thinking it is a SUV? The minute you drive it and sit inside you know the only SUV thing about it is the higher seating position, else it drives like a regular car.

If someone want's an SUV, even the Duster should not be in picture in that case. The only thing it offers extra over the Ecosport is a larger boot.

The Ecosport is for someone who wants something bigger than a hatch but not a full blown sedan. Secondly he wants some ability to tackle bad roads which low slung sedans cannot but not full off road capability.

It's kind of everything in one package but not excel in one department alone. So ride/handling is a compromise over a sedan but better than SUV, ground clearance is way better than any sedan or hatch.

I couldn't agree with you more. Most (I say most - not all, in case someone jumps on that one:)) buyers in that bracket ie the 8 to 10 lac bracket - are pretty well informed and savvy enough to separate the wheat from the chaff and home in on what exactly they want - whether those are disparagingly called 'pseudo' SUVs or 'pseudo' sedans which are hatches with an add on boot and so on.