Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2013, 14:47   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

The price indication I have heard are 6-11L. On these lines i'd expect the 1.5L petrol to start at 5.99 while the diesel will start at 6.99. Even though the Diesel qualifies for the excise benefits, Ford can afford to price it higher. The question is then how much gap would there between variants.

With Alan Mulally being in town, the launch should not be too far away...
Old 19th June 2013, 14:48   #947
AWD
BHPian

I've noticed, >70% of the people booking vehicles prior to launch are the ones that get sucked in by the hype/build-up/advertising, etc. They have to get the car that is the talk of the Town, displayed in Malls, shopping-complexes, has hordes of people falling over to catch a glimpse. Then there is the impress thy neighbour factor, papa ye gadi leni hai, etc.

10% Book to get returns later on. Rest 20% has a mixture raging from soft-enthusiasts, brand-affinity, love at first sight, etc.

Guess a true-hardcore enthusiast won't plonk his money before trying the vehicle first hand.
AWD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 14:54   #948
BHPian

The showroom sales people were pretty confident that the price is going to be around 10.5 lakhs on road for the diesel titanium with option pack.
ece2k2 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 15:00   #949
Distinguished - BHPian

Although the local dealer executive said that a lot of people booked the vehicle, I doubt whether it's true. When I went to check the vehicle, I could see only one another customer checking the vehicle. I expected the place to be crowded. I saw the vehicle which was behind their showroom and not displayed in their showroom. For the past two days, vehicle is in their showroom and TD has started. Yet I havent seen that huge response that people are talking about. A marketing gimmick I guess.Guess many got to see the vehicle when it was on display few months back. Book now and get the car asap since 220 vehicles are only allotted for the first three months. Anyways, I will be waiting to TD the vehicle after which I will decide and make the official booking.

Well, when compared to my Swift, am pretty much satisfied with the rear and boot space. GC is something special.

So waiting for the TD to make my booking.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 19th June 2013 at 15:01.
Old 19th June 2013, 15:00   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Guess a true-hardcore enthusiast won't plonk his money before trying the vehicle first hand.
I really fail to understand the thinking process here.

Can you please explain to me what have I lost or am going to lose by prebooking?

Keep the 3k cancellation fee aside. Anything apart from that? I have all rights to cancel the booking if I dont like it.
zteg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 15:09   #951
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
The showroom sales people were pretty confident that the price is going to be around 10.5 lakhs on road for the diesel titanium with option pack.
To me, the price tag of 10.5 for a gizmo-loaded 4 seater diesel car that only "looks like" an SUV isn't really a VFM pricing. Although it has a high stance and higher GC, there are no real SUV features in the EcoSport.

This segment stands in a real cliffhanger now! A solid built, large, wide (and a bit raw) Duster with a headstart against the much more compact but feature rich EcoSport. If I was in the market for one of these two, I'd buy the Duster flat if the EcoSport was priced on par. Larger and sturdier road manners always above creature comforts...
Old 19th June 2013, 15:13   #952
BHPian

I have pre booked the 1.5 diesel, had a look at the car today, saw both Trend diesel and 1.5 titanium (o). Chennai havent started TD yet. Waiting for it. Thinking if i have to change to ecoboost petrol version. Titanium model looks good with the leather seats et all.

Srini
Old 19th June 2013, 15:17   #953
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to say that the Petrol AT has a sweet pricing (probable). The kit it is being offered with, is a huge plus, for the price.
Now, I'm afraid that our fellow folks might beat me if I said this.
Old 19th June 2013, 15:49   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Although it has a high stance and higher GC, there are no real SUV features in the EcoSport.
Then add the X1, the Q3, the CRV, Captiva and all those 20+ lac pseudo-SUVs flying off the shelf to that statement too.

How do you define SUV for an Indian? Ecosport does that as good as the ones i listed above. So i will probably hate it for the pricing, but not for trying to be an SUV.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 19th June 2013 at 15:50.
Old 19th June 2013, 15:58   #955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Then add the X1, the Q3, the CRV, Captiva and all those 20+ lac pseudo-SUVs flying off the shelf to that statement too.

How do you define SUV for an Indian? Ecosport does that as good as the ones i listed above. So i will probably hate it for the pricing, but not for trying to be an SUV.
At the very least - the cars you mentioned are not 4 seaters. Some / most of them have 4x4, much more power & torque, high performance suspension mechanisms...At least large wheels
Anyway, I'm not comparing the EcoSport with these high price luxury SUVs (?).

To me, on the technical/mechanical front, EcoSport is just a "car". And the top variant's current discussed price is noticeably close to the affordable workhorse SUVs - Scorpio / XUV / Safari - yes, base/mid variants. All of which, carry a much bigger punch under their hood and chassis.

All these points will be blown to bits if the EcoSport is priced lower of course.
Old 19th June 2013, 15:58   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esma1981 View Post
I still can't place the EcoSport in my head. Is it a hatch on stilts with a big boot or should I compare it to the C segment sedan? I guess it will all depend on the pricing.
Seems my quote is more appropriate now, since people are actually getting a look at the car. I'll try to go check it out for myself tomorrow.
Old 19th June 2013, 16:01   #957
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
To me, the price tag of 10.5 for a gizmo-loaded 4 seater diesel car that only "looks like" an SUV isn't really a VFM pricing. Although it has a high stance and higher GC, there are no real SUV features in the EcoSport.

This segment stands in a real cliffhanger now! A solid built, large, wide (and a bit raw) Duster with a headstart against the much more compact but feature rich EcoSport. If I was in the market for one of these two, I'd buy the Duster flat if the EcoSport was priced on par. Larger and sturdier road manners always above creature comforts...
The EcoSport also offers a 550mm water wading depth which is huge compared to the 350 of the Safari and the Scorpio and matched the 550 of the Pajero (The Fortuner is I think 600mm).

Also on the AT it offers a lot of stuff like EBA, EBD, TCS and HLA all of which would be really good to have on an SUV.

It doesn't have the AWD/4X4 but then nor does the Duster or the BMW X1 and most of the higher sales variant of the Rs. 10-30L SUV. These softroaders are even less of a SUV that the ecosport.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 16:09   #958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The EcoSport also offers a 550mm water wading depth which is huge compared to the 350 of the Safari and the Scorpio and matched the 550 of the Pajero (The Fortuner is I think 600mm).

Also on the AT it offers a lot of stuff like EBA, EBD, TCS and HLA all of which would be really good to have on an SUV.

It doesn't have the AWD/4X4 but then nor does the Duster or the BMW X1 and most of the higher sales variant of the Rs. 10-30L SUV. These softroaders are even less of a SUV that the ecosport.
Agree totally with your point about "softroaders". The luxury SUV segment is something I never understood especially from the financial perspective. Perhaps due to "lack there-of"

Yes - as discussed earlier in the thread, the petrol & petrol AT definitely seem competitively priced. No doubt. I was only talking about the speculated price of the diesel top trim.

I wish I'm totally wrong, but the picture of the EcoSport besides Figo in the official review has made the image of a very compact dimension vehicle in my mind. NOM.
Old 19th June 2013, 16:12   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Back from local Ford dealership & totally disappointed. Booking cancellation charges fixed at Re.3000/- & Consumers have to buy Accessories worth 30,000/- with the vehicle. I had taken the Booking amount cheque along, only to bring back, tear off & discard.

To down with Ford & Eco-Sport, not worth the wait, Im not buying the vehicle if this the attitude the Company decides to adopt prior to launch. Post launch, God save the consumers!
Similar was the case with Toyota Fortuner. Some dealers were pushing for mandatory accessories worth 1-1.5 Lakhs.

As far as ford is concerned the dealers (or ford) who are flying high like this will soon hit the ground. With the hype that they have created they think customers are beggars. They throw all sorts of tantrums - colour choice, variant choice, insurance, registration.

This kind of attitude is very bad. If one dealer behaves with one person like this then a company especially like ford is bound to loose a 100 customers easily via word of mouth.

Selling Figo is a different thing, selling ecosport is another. Afterall they won't be selling it less than 6 lakhs ex-showroom. They have loads of indirect competition from leading brands. Only USP of ecosport to me is GC. I like the car though.

Last edited by k2max6 : 19th June 2013 at 16:16.
Old 19th June 2013, 16:24   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
With Alan Mulally being in town, the launch should not be too far away...
No he's not. The launch is next week most likely -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3153523

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks