Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2019, 10:43   #3526
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

@simplysaj - You are right, its close to impossible to get a used Octavia below 12 lakhs unless its the 1.4 TSI. I might be tempted to go for it, just because of the cost factor.

Been searching for quite some time now. Good luck in your search and hope both of us gets some good used cars.
Old 27th June 2019, 17:57   #3527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
@simplysaj - You are right, its close to impossible to get a used Octavia below 12 lakhs unless its the 1.4 TSI. I might be tempted to go for it, just because of the cost factor.

Been searching for quite some time now. Good luck in your search and hope both of us gets some good used cars.
@krish3

Hopefully! Are you from Kerala and working in Bangalore?
Let know in case if you come across any good ones

To all here, what would be the implications / good or bad about buying a 4 year old diesel card in light of the BS6 related scenarios in future?
Old 27th June 2019, 22:19   #3528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Hello guys,

Just wanted to get your opinion on this - Is it worth buying the Octavia 1.8TSI spending 30 lakhs now or wait for the 2020 Octavia which will be launched in Q1 or Q2 2020. With the rest of the Skoda cars getting refreshing updates, it's possible that Skoda is looking replace the current Octavia in India which was launched in 2013.
If you are planning to wait then get it after April 20, as then it will be BS6 compliant. There is no point in spending 3 MN and getting a BS4 vehicle after now, unless its an unavoidable situation.
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 14:21   #3529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
If you are planning to wait then get it after April 20, as then it will be BS6 compliant. There is no point in spending 3 MN and getting a BS4 vehicle after now, unless its an unavoidable situation.
I can definitely wait for a few months when I'm shelling out that kind of money. I think I'll wait for the 2020 Octavia or pick the existing one in a few months if I get a sweet deal. The feel of driving the 1.8TSi is just something else
Old 28th June 2019, 14:47   #3530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysaj View Post
@krish3

Hopefully! Are you from Kerala and working in Bangalore?
Let know in case if you come across any good ones

To all here, what would be the implications / good or bad about buying a 4 year old diesel card in light of the BS6 related scenarios in future?
You are right. From Cochin, working in Bangalore. Search is still on. Looking at Jetta as well. Whichever comes in a good price, I'll grab it.
Old 28th June 2019, 20:06   #3531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
But once it is registered, what is the problem with a BS4 vehicle? You register it for 15 years and I'm sure it won't be an issue while selling to a third party. Is there any other issue with a BS4 vehicle?
Old 1st July 2019, 17:29   #3532
BHPian

After being a passive reader on Team BHP, now got a chance to share my experiences.

Though I am an auto enthusiast, I am not an expert like many BHPians and like many of us, I normally look forward to a pleasing design, durability, good engine & transmissions and decent features. My current car is XUV 500 and I am looking for a change for the last few weeks, and the budget I had was around 25-27 Lakh and this time I was open to buy either a Sedan or SUV, any car but Octavia (more on that later). Few of the options which came to me, from my nears and dears were:

Jeep Compass

Actually, I never liked Jeep Compass (no offense meant to others, but in my personal view, I always compare it with Creta), and never felt like paying more than 20 Lakhs for it, so never even ask for a TD.

X1
I had a TD on it in Gurgaon for more than 45 minutes and as I felt that I could stretch my budget a bit, due to the heavy-duty discounts offered to me, had a thought of giving it a shot. In X1, loved the external style and space inside (compared to Q3), but felt very low on features.

Q3 & A3

In Q3, though the features were better than X1, internal space was on a premium. I was offered A3, at absolutely mouth-watering price: Technology TFSI for 26.50 Ex showroom and the Sales guy appeared to agree with my request for 3-year service package. I would have loved to owned them, purely on the merit of their badges, apart from the fantastic driving fun I had. But, somehow I felt that I was compromising on many features and actually I didn't find them suitable to be my primary car.

New Civic
I was sold on it's looks and interiors (again though subjective, I liked the layout of the dash a lot) and in the TD, which I had in Gurgaon, the Sales guy wanted me to drive on non-existent road near Suzuki plant and I didn't scrap the bottom even once. I turned a blind eye to the low-seating and had decided to go for it, after I got a cash discount of 50K. I somehow convinced myself to wait for a couple of days before paying the booking amount.

Octavia
I was actually scared of buying a Skoda as I had heard about the service issues and the thought of owning it never occurred in my mind. A friend of mine, who owns an Octy 2017 model and a 4-yeard old Rapid, suggested me to go for it and very clearly told me that he never faced a single service-center related incident. When I read through team BHP forums and comparisons in other auto magazines, I realized that I was missing out on a gem. Spent many nights going through them again and again, I felt the urge of owning one!! I still hadn't had a TD yet!

I decided on 1.8 TSI L&K and asked for a TD in NCR and I had a smooth run and enjoyed the drive. Bargained hard for discounts, clearly mentioning that I won't be buying insurance from them and hence asked for discounts without insurance. Got a cash discount of 1.5 Lakhs it was tempting enough to close the deal immediately. I had to travel for a couple of days and couldn't pay the booking amount. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as while traveling, I checked with other agency in UT and asked for discount point blank. I was offered 2.15 Lakhs cash discount (on ghost billing), which I refused as I would have been unable to get service package on such billing. This new Sales guy, was really aggressive and kept on following up and finally offered the same discount of 2.15 Lakhs (Phew!!!) cash discount on new booking.

I didn't waste any time and booked for a black L&K and I am expecting the delivery within another 7-10 day.

I will update along with the pics once I get the delivery soon.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st July 2019 at 17:48. Reason: para space reduced.
K.grg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 18:27   #3533
BHPian

2 lakh discount wow. When we got the L&K in Feb-18 got zero discount. Maybe the crunch is hitting hard or L&K is not new anymore.
Old 1st July 2019, 19:25   #3534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
This new Sales guy, was really aggressive and kept on following up and finally offered the same discount of 2.15 Lakhs (Phew!!!) cash discount on new booking.

I didn't waste any time and booked for a black L&K and I am expecting the delivery within another 7-10 day.

Is this for L&K only?
Old 1st July 2019, 22:48   #3535
BHPian

Actually the original offer from dealer was 50 k cash discount + 34 k for some credit card = Total of 84 k, which I believe is from Skoda. But, hammered down for 2.15 k cash discount, without any credit card (but shared a copy of old RC of rapid).

Never asked for other models Sir, as I was looking only for L&K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysaj View Post
Is this for L&K only?
Old 2nd July 2019, 16:33   #3536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
I decided on 1.8 TSI L&K and asked for a TD in NCR and I had a smooth run and enjoyed the drive. Bargained hard for discounts, clearly mentioning that I won't be buying insurance from them and hence asked for discounts without insurance. Got a cash discount of 1.5 Lakhs it was tempting enough to close the deal immediately. I had to travel for a couple of days and couldn't pay the booking amount. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as while traveling, I checked with other agency in UT and asked for discount point blank. I was offered 2.15 Lakhs cash discount (on ghost billing), which I refused as I would have been unable to get service package on such billing. This new Sales guy, was really aggressive and kept on following up and finally offered the same discount of 2.15 Lakhs (Phew!!!) cash discount on new booking.

Dear @K.grg,

Congratulations on the booking and especially on landing such a sweet deal.

I have been contemplating booking this car myself and it would be really helpful if you can share details about the dealership/salesperson you interacted with. I'm sure he would be willing to make another sale. I couldn't reach you via direct message or email hence i am posting this here. You should be able to message me via email from my profile.

Could you please explain what you meant by "ghost billing"? It would be better to be prepared in case the salesperson tries to pull it off on me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th July 2019, 02:06   #3537
BHPian

Hello everyone!

I'm considering a 2016 Style Plus 1.8 TSI model up on OLX at 14.75 L. The owner says that warranty remaining till July 2020. After reading through the entire thread, I gather that DSG failure for MY 2016 cars are rare, though battery and water pump issues seem to be quite prevalent. Would love to hear your opinions and any tips to scope out the car before buying a octavia.
Old 5th July 2019, 15:49   #3538

Hi Everyone,

This is my first ever post on Team-BHP and in fact my first ever post on any forum online.
Have been an avid reader of various forums over here for the last 8 years now and feel really privileged to be a part of this community.

Brief History about me and Team-BHP:
Discovered Team BHP back in 2011 when I was planning to buy my first car.
Had doubts between a Polo and an i20 and wanted to ask questions here so tried to register. Unfortunately my application got rejected
I probably took my answers too lightly back then and felt a little angry but over the last eight years, I realised the quality levels of this forum and my love for it actually grew exponentially. I feel my rejection was totally justified back then.

So reading through this forum really helped me take my decision to buy a Polo trendline 1.2 TDI back in 2011 and boy I absolutely loved that car.
Was almost about to buy the i20 but this forum just pushed me towards experiencing the solid german build quality and I have decided never to look back.

Chapter 2 : Redemption

Starting mid last year, as my Polo turned 7, the desire to upgrade kicked in.
Read close to 1000 pages here. Forums on New cars, forums comparing new vs pre worshipped and what not.
Test drive of 1.8 TSI just took my heart away within 2 minutes and Octavia became sort my dream car (within my budget). Loved the Elantra Petrol A/T as well but my heart was always with Octavia so just could not take the plunge with an Elantra, even as my wife and parents tried their level best to make me go for the Creta. I see myself as a Sedan guy to be honest.

Finally booked the 1.8TSI and did what Skoda makes you do best, just WAIT !
After various follow ups over 2.5 months, they were just not able to deliver the car. Got really frustrated and cancelled my booking.

Now a funny thing happened in the meanwhile. Suddenly somehow, I became financially literate and started looking at luxury cars as a depreciating asset.
I swear I am not exaggerating, there was a time during this wait period that I was thinking about whether to buy the car or not at least 10 hours a day. I even dreamt of going to the showroom to take my delivery.

Also, my Polo was serving me absolutely fine. Late night driving back from office to home always made me feel "Do I really need anything more? "
So I continued with my Polo after cancelling my Octavia booking and went back to my normal life.
But remember one thing, Octavia never leaves your head once it enters through your heart

One fine day in April, I came across a 2.0 TDI Style+ (first 2 month batch of the 2017 facelifted model, as they changed it to L&K post that) through a friend.
21 months old, 13,000 KM driven with 27 months of warranty left. Chauffeur Driven for an Expat at a mouth watering price. I just went for it and within 9 days of me seeing the car for the first time, I had it in my driveway.

It just happened so quickly and against the run of play that it took me some time to realise that I now actually finally own the Octavia (a TDI instead of the TSI though) but honestly, I have found the Diesel to be more than adequate in terms of power for my requirements.

So as soon as I got the car home for the first time, I just went to my room and penned down a detailed and serious application to register for Team-BHP.
And guess what, finally got approved.
Showed my approval mail to a couple of my other half-enthusiast friends as well in excitement as their application got rejected too 4-5 years back.

Coming back to the car:

Add ons done:

1. Bought basic nick nacks from Ali express like paddle extenders, chrome decoration add ons for vents etc.
2. Bought the much talked about Jopasu duster (I am impressed by it)
3. Planning to buy the Spoiler (As the TDI does not have it)
4. No performance mods / electrical mods planned at all. I am happy the way it is.

What I love about the car:

1. Effortless driving. The torque is very helpfull
2. The beautiful touchscreen with Android auto
3. My parents liked the back seat comfort (I do not plan to sit there)
4. Air conditioning is effective, Ambient lighting is a nice feel good factor.
5. High speed stability and handling is top notch.

Things that could have been better:

1. I already sense light rattles from certain places.
2. Body roll is more than I expected. It is still great but just that my expectations were really high maybe.
3. Sound quality is decent, but I have got to add a subwoofer somehow.
4. Headlights are not very bright.

One big Step that I have taken: OBDeleven

I bought the OBDeleven dongle directly form their website and it arrived in 5 days.
Have taken the Pro Subscription and made quite a few changes.
Just to mention some basic ones:
- Scandinavian DRL (read LED light always on)
- Fan speed in Auto
- Indicator blinks to 5

Will continue to explore OBD eleven more and post my updates regularly here.

I really want to keep writing guys buy I guess i have to end this post abruptly now.

One last thing I want to say is that I am really happy to be able to write here.
A lot of screen names here that have helped me more than my real friends without even meeting.
You guys are awesome.
Automagical is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 11:05   #3539
BHPian

Quite early for a question on leaks, 2 months into my ownership .
But I have noticed a small leakage from the underside of the car (1.8 TSI) after parking which stops after a minute or so.
Its seems to be water and not oil. Occurs only when the AC was on during the drive.
I opened the bonnet right after one such occurrence and could see nothing from the coolant tank dripping. The source of the leak is roughly next to the driver's footwell.
Any idea what it might be? I am thinking of taking the car for a checkup this week.
Old 8th July 2019, 11:34   #3540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Quite early for a question on leaks, 2 months into my ownership .
But I have noticed a small leakage from the underside of the car (1.8 TSI) after parking which stops after a minute or so.
Its seems to be water and not oil. Occurs only when the AC was on during the drive.
I opened the bonnet right after one such occurrence and could see nothing from the coolant tank dripping. The source of the leak is roughly next to the driver's footwell.
Any idea what it might be? I am thinking of taking the car for a checkup this week.
This honestly sounds like the AC water dripping. Just like your home AC gives out water, the car AC does the same (atleast in mine). The dripping stops about a minute after shutting off the car. That's what I think is happening in your case, but let the experts comment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks