Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-192.html)

I have a new noise in my City. Comes from drive train somewhere not sure where. Like a grinding sound. Is not very loud. You have to roll up the windows switch off the music system to hear it. But once you become aware of it, becomes very irritating. Looks like i got a lemon or Honda really screwed up on quality control.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKnight (Post 3540549)
I have a new noise in my City. Comes from drive train where not sure where. Like grinding sound. Is not very loud. You have to roll up the windows switch off the music system to hear it. But once you become aware of it, becomes very irritating. Looks like i got a lemon or Honda really screwed up on quality control.

Hi. This issue has been discussed previously. It is related to the drive belt. I suggest you look it up. Someone has been kind enough to upload the sound too. Think it will help you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight.rider (Post 3540612)
Hi. This issue has been discussed previously. It is related to the drive belt. I suggest you look it up. Someone has been kind enough to upload the sound too. Think it will help you.


I am well aware of the drive belt noise issue. ( My car has that as well ).
This is a different noise coming from the drive train. I mean it is not a constant rining/grinding sound. I hear this sound when the car is in lower gears at slow speeds. ( At high speed i guess tyre/wind noise masks this sound ) Suppose i accelerate to around 20 kmph in second gear. Now i lift my foot off the accelerator and do not press the clutch. So the car is sort of now engine breaking as it looses speed. This is the point i can clearly hear the sound. A sort of grinding/whining sound. Now suppose i accelerate again i hear a slightly different sound. I have a feeling this sound is coming from the clutch assembely. I will get it checked out in the next service which due soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKnight (Post 3540718)
I am well aware of the drive belt noise issue. ( My car has that as well ).
This is a different noise coming from the drive train. I mean it is not a constant rining/grinding sound. I hear this sound when the car is in lower gears at slow speeds. ( At high speed i guess tyre/wind noise masks this sound ) Suppose i accelerate to around 20 kmph in second gear. Now i lift my foot off the accelerator and do not press the clutch. So the car is sort of now engine breaking as it looses speed. This is the point i can clearly hear the sound. A sort of grinding/whining sound. Now suppose i accelerate again i hear a slightly different sound. I have a feeling this sound is coming from the clutch assembely. I will get it checked out in the next service which due soon.

I guess this sound is what I have in my Wagon R which is a manual gear model. The sound started coming after the clutch assembly was replaced. It is similar to a grinding sound and will stop once I press the clutch lightly. When I noticed first, I told this to Maruti service and they lubricated the clutch parts. But, the sound came back again, and it's still there. I forgot to tell this in the subsequent services.

One explanation given was the accumulation of dust.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKnight (Post 3540718)
I am well aware of the drive belt noise issue. ( My car has that as well ).
This is a different noise coming from the drive train. I mean it is not a constant rining/grinding sound. I hear this sound when the car is in lower gears at slow speeds. ( At high speed i guess tyre/wind noise masks this sound ) Suppose i accelerate to around 20 kmph in second gear. Now i lift my foot off the accelerator and do not press the clutch. So the car is sort of now engine breaking as it looses speed. This is the point i can clearly hear the sound. A sort of grinding/whining sound. Now suppose i accelerate again i hear a slightly different sound. I have a feeling this sound is coming from the clutch assembely. I will get it checked out in the next service which due soon.

I have the very same noise on my iDTEC. Since it happens only on lower gears and occasionally for me I have been sort of living with it. I should get it fixed one of these days.

A couple of days back during a Highway drive, while accelerating after going over a speed breaker, I was watching the RPM needle, it was going up relatively slowly across 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and after it crossed 1700, watched the needle surge from 1800 to 2400 and past very quickly. This surge in the acceleration with the turbo kicking in the Diesel City is indeed addictive :) and I felt the urge to repeat that down the road. Having driven Petrol cars before (read: without turbo), it was good to experience the pull after the turbo kicking in during hard acceleration.

Its easy to miss this surge during city drives during slower acceleration as the turbo lag in the Diesel City is almost non-existent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sun_king (Post 3540458)
@Geo or anyone from Bangalore or places where the RTO issues the smart card: Do you have any values against STDG/SLPR in your RTO Smart Card? For me it is just blank.

I have no clue what it stands for. My best guess is that it is Standing/Sleeper - an odd combination though.

It is blank for me as well. Smart card from Bangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKnight (Post 3540718)
I am well aware of the drive belt noise issue. ( My car has that as well ).
This is a different noise coming from the drive train. I mean it is not a constant rining/grinding sound. I hear this sound when the car is in lower gears at slow speeds. ( At high speed i guess tyre/wind noise masks this sound ) Suppose i accelerate to around 20 kmph in second gear. Now i lift my foot off the accelerator and do not press the clutch. So the car is sort of now engine breaking as it looses speed. This is the point i can clearly hear the sound. A sort of grinding/whining sound. Now suppose i accelerate again i hear a slightly different sound. I have a feeling this sound is coming from the clutch assembely. I will get it checked out in the next service which due soon.

You are right. The issue is with Clutch assembly. I had a similar issue with my car (IVTec), it was resolved after replacing one of the faulty plate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feroz_009 (Post 3541955)
You are right. The issue is with Clutch assembly. I had a similar issue with my car (IVTec), it was resolved after replacing one of the faulty plate.

Thank You Feroz ,

Another serious issue surfacing , hope this is not as wide spread as the issue with the idler pulley & belt.

@ Honda please wake your QA team out of their slumber , these kind of issues are definitely not welcome.

cheers,
pdma.

Are these problems ironed out in post-August cars? If not then we have to be on the watch for any mass recalls coming up in the near future. Sadly, quality control has been compromised to bring down costs. But why so much? Already you are sharing one engine in three cars. You have been using more or less the same petrol engine since 2 models. I don't even want to mention the tyres.

Recently i upgraded my ANHC 2014 with Leather seats, have done a detailed post in the below thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ml#post3542506

Some snaps of the same

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_3613.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckmraja (Post 3542516)
Recently i upgraded my ANHC 2014 with Leather seats, have done a detailed post in the below thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ml#post3542506

Some snaps of the same

Attachment 1292202

The Link in the thread takes me to a blank page. Is the link ok? If I copy the URL info and open in a separate window it works.

The Link is working fine, one of my colleague just opened and read the post.

Its working fine for him, should work for you as well

I recently noticed uneven panel gaps on the boot lid.
Can someone else confirm if its same with their car or my bootlid got misaligned.

Right Side:
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image2.jpg

Left Side:
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image3.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image1.jpg

I finally decided to change my headlamps. Flipping through the manual came across the specifications indicated for the Headlight Bulbs.

High beam headlight: 60 W (HB3 for halogen bulb type)
Low beam headlight: 55 W (H11 for halogen bulb type)


Like suggested in the thread, started looking at the options of Philips Extreme Vision and Osram NB unlimited. Inclined towards Philips Extreme Vision. So here's my dilemma.

I can see different sizes of Philips H1, H4, H7, H8, H11, H12 and so on.

I searched for H11 specific and could find 55W bulbs. But when I searched for HB3 specific and it shows the Wattage as 65W.

Would the 65W HB3 be compatible against the one mentioned in the manual (60W HB3)?

If yes, would there be any issue?

Has anyone upgraded to either Philips or Osram on the new City?


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:24.