Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2017, 21:41   #5836
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Hello bhpians,

This unfortunate event happened and my heart burns every time I look at it. What can I do to remedy it?

Can Honda A.S.S. be able to repaint the door? Any other alternatives?

Please do respond as I can’t stand to see my car in this condition.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-5642995c49c84af8b8fc3df1915debb7.jpeg  

Last edited by The Brutailer : 17th October 2017 at 21:42.
Old 17th October 2017, 22:25   #5837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Hello bhpians,

This unfortunate event happened and my heart burns every time I look at it. What can I do to remedy it?

Thanks in advance.
It looks like paint transfer from wall or other car.
You can get rubbing compound polishing done in affected area and if check whether you can live with those.
IMO looking at the image rubbing /polish will remove upto 70-80% of scratches.
After getting this done you can decide whether to live with minute scratches or get whole panel repainted at HASS at around 4k-5k rupees.
Outside garages/paint shops will charge around 2k-3k for same job but finding good paint shop is tricky.
pravint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 22:28   #5838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
It looks like paint transfer from wall or other car.
You can get rubbing compound polishing done in affected area and if check whether you can live with those.
IMO looking at the image rubbing /polish will remove upto 70-80% of scratches.
After getting this done you can decide whether to live with minute scratches or get whole panel repainted at HASS at around 4k-5k rupees.
Outside garages/paint shops will charge around 2k-3k for same job but finding good paint shop is tricky.
Don’t think I’d be satisfied with rubbing / buffing. As you said, it’s possible to repaint the portion then I think I’d go with HASS as I believe matching the golden brown shade would be difficult. Thanks!

Btw if any competent/reputable outside workshops are there, please mention them. I don’t want to depend entirely on Honda. I’m situated in Bangalore.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 17th October 2017 at 22:33.
Old 17th October 2017, 22:34   #5839
BHPian

Quote:
Don’t think I’d be satisfied with rubbing / buffing. As you said, it’s possible to repaint the portion then I think I’d go with HASS as I believe matching the golden brown shade would be difficult. Thanks!
But I would suggest you to do some rubbing/polishing before going to HASS because in some cases just rubbing can remove all scratches and also you will know how much actual damage is done.
I will put link to some videos which have paint transfer somewhat like yours.

pravint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 18:48   #5840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardilip View Post
Update: Honda ASC has given a quote of 11L (incl Transmission and Engine).
==========
We are really confused and willing to hear all different options so that we shall have a peace of mind in this regards (if at all we get peace of mind) :(
A quick update:

My friend has met the service advisor and discussed with technician and their respective managers. They agreed to revisit the estimation and the revisited estimate is 3.9L (from earlier 11L). This quote will fit into the insurance claim limit and vehicle can at least now get into the garage for a initial checkup. Will keep you all updated on the progress.

In mean time if you have any suggestion please do let me know I will pass it on to him.
Old 18th October 2017, 21:01   #5841
Senior - BHPian

You could have just claimed total loss and used the money to buy a new vehicle.

And HOW did they come down by over 7 lakhs? What all did they pad the bill with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardilip View Post
A quick update:

My friend has met the service advisor and discussed with technician and their respective managers. They agreed to revisit the estimation and the revisited estimate is 3.9L (from earlier 11L). This quote will fit into the insurance claim limit and vehicle can at least now get into the garage for a initial checkup. Will keep you all updated on the progress.

In mean time if you have any suggestion please do let me know I will pass it on to him.
Old 18th October 2017, 21:37   #5842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
During the next service, I'm planning to get a small dent on the panel corrected.
I could actually get this done at a competent independent garage, but I always felt that the paint quality would be as per honda standards in the authorized Honda center.

Among Dakshin, Magnum, Whitefield and Trident Honda service centers, please let me know from your experience which has better dent removal and paint workmanship.
Hello for_cars1,

As other members have said, you can easily get the job done outside from an independent garage (Like Trend Automobiles in Bangalore, which also offers paintless dent removal). It also depends on the paint, as some colors are harder to match. Also, some panels, like the front fender are easier to be replaced rather than the dent removed and repainted (the cost of repair vs the cost of replacement). This is because of the wafer-thin sheet metal of these panels, these panels are hard to get back into their original shape.

In Bangalore, I personally give my car to Magnum Honda, Yeshwanthpur for accident repairs. I usually hand over my car directly to the Bodyshop Manager, Mr. Albert Raj. My experiences with them have been good, with the only negative being that insurance claims usually take a while longer.

A note to anyone else reading this: During my last visit, the body shop manager, Mr. Albert Raj had said that claims for my car usually take longer as my insurance policy is covered by National Insurance Ltd., under Honda Assure. He had said insurance claims are easier with other insurance companies like Bajaj Alliance, ICICI Lombard, etc.

Quote:
Hello bhpians,

Thanks in advance.
Hello The Brutailer,

Ouch, that looks bad and painful. Luckily for you, it looks superficial. My first recommendation would be cleaning the area and then rubbing it with rubbing compound (3M or Formula-1 Scratch-out); or use Toothpaste (Regular Colgate works best, personal experience ).
Note: My car is a non-metallic Taffeta White.

If the scratch hasn't been removed or if you are unsatisfied with the outcome, you can take it to an independent garage or the Honda Bodyshop. Do note that your scratch isn't only on the rear door, it is also on the quarter panel, which means you might have to shell out extra money for the repair (maybe close to Rs. 8000 for repainting both panels.)
Some independent garages may just remove the scratch by wet sanding too (As I said in the beginning, it looks superficial to me).

P.S. Sweet color choice and you are maintaining your car well (touch wood)
themonster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 22:15   #5843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If you want a independent garage ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
I personally give my car to Magnum Honda, Yeshwanthpur
Thanks
That independent garage is quite competent with paint jobs with good paint matching and excel in PDR no doubt about it.

However I wanted to explore an Honda OEM for the original paint quality and lustre. If they do use dent pullers and part panel painting for minor scratches, the cost would be lower and competitive to independent garages.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 22:36   #5844
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks
That independent garage is quite competent with paint jobs with good paint matching and excel in PDR no doubt about it.

However I wanted to explore an Honda OEM for the original paint quality and lustre. If they do use dent pullers and part panel painting for minor scratches, the cost would be lower and competitive to independent garages.
Anytime

Since I usually visit Magnum Honda, Yeshwanthpur; I will comment on them. Usually, they use filler and then dry sanding and wet sanding, followed by painting. If a dent is severe, and if it cannot be filled or reshaped, they will suggest replacing the part to get OEM factory fit and finish. (for example, front fenders) Panels with tears/holes in them will be suggested for replacement. Paint quality is excellent (90-95% color matching), and matches up with the rest of the car. A super keen eye can catch a small difference in the shade of the freshly painted part (due to gradual aging of paint with exposure to the elements of nature.)

By the way, I think the turnover time if you are paying from your pocket (not claiming insurance) is around 2 days or less, depending on the workload they have.
Old 19th October 2017, 00:40   #5845
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
I would have got the work done from Honda even if they were charging me 5000 more than outside garages. Why ?

I once had seen the bodyshop guys working on a gold Accord from start to finish. It had a badly dented/scratched door which was supposed to be worked on. The procedure and tools they use are very well worth the extra money you pay them. I'll give you a brief idea of the entire procedure so that you can take an informed decision.

1. The panel which is going to be worked upon is removed from the car, Honda cars usually have 13 panels. The only panels which cannot be removed are the rear quater panels(including top/bottom running boards). It is also possible that they may not remove the panel at this stage if it's damage is very minor.

2. If the panel is removed they attach it to a jig which holds the panel in place while the workers grind off the paint and get it down to bare metal so that they can use the welders and stuff which is needed for the dent puller. Everything from that panel is removed, so if the door is being worked on, the glass/handles/beadings/doorcards everything is removed.

3. They will pull out the dent by using a reverse hammer technique. Honda usually uses sikkens tools/procedures for their bodyshops, there are these small sticks of metal that are welded around the dent and then a rod is attached which serves as a meduim to exert pressure on those sticks which in turn pulls the dent out. They never beat the panels to get them in shape, this beating of panels was fine for the old Fiats/M800s but not for cars of today because as it is we have less gauge of steel and beating it will cause it to deform over the years.

4. The panel then again goes through a round of grinding to remove the welding's residue that those sticks leave. At this stage the body lines are carefully looked at and if they are not proper they use precision tools to get the lines proper, even minor adjustments are made at this stage only.

5. The panel then is sanded down completely and then the fine trimming/shaping is done using the fillers and putty. The amount of filler/putty used is hardly anything because these guys have nearly worked out 98% of the dent in the previos stages. One thing to be kept in mind is that using more putty/filler is bad, it results in flaking of the paint down the line, Mumbai guys must have heard "papdi nikalna".

6. The panel goes in for sanding, followed by primer. Again after this the panel is checked to make sure the lines are perfect, if not then a more fine filler is used but the panel will be 100% like factory before it hits the paint booth.

7. Now comes the paint matching, Honda has a seperate room to make the perfect shade to match other panels with the new one. The reason they get the shade just right everytime is, they have colour cards of the same colour for different ages of the vehicle meaning in this case they had that gold colour pack of cards which had years written behind them, so if your gold car is 3 years old they have a card of gold(3 years old), if your gold car is 5 years old then card of gold(5 years old). I was told that 99% of the times the card perfectly matches the shade of the other panels if not 1-2 cards up/down but shade will be matched perfectly. Attention to detail is fantastic.

8. Another coat of primer turns the panel completely white after which layers and layers of paint go on in the paint booth and it is dried/baked in between the coats in a temperature controlled environment. Then inspected for any painting flaws, if even a slight fault is found they will take it down to the primer stage again.

9. Now there are two things that happen but I don't remember which of them was first. One is the clear coat and the other is wet sanding.

10. Panel is fitted back and minor adjustments to align them are made. Then the car goes for a whole body polish and wax setup. This I was told is done so that the new panel doesn't shine more than the remaining panels. You can say that this is the type of polishing we see when detailers do paint corrections, its motive is to make the other panels shine/look just like the new one. Then obviously the waxing, tyre dressing and stuff is done.

The pains and efforts these guys take is worth the extra money anyday, the results speak for themselves. Work done from outside shows the real picture after a few years when that panel will have to be reworked again because it was not done correctly before. The entire denting/painting takes around 2 days.

Last edited by OSH : 19th October 2017 at 00:47.
OSH is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 13:17   #5846
BHPian

Guys,

My car (I-Dtec) has clocked almost 42K on the odo. While doing regular engine bay clean up I have been noticing that some hot fumes are getting accumulating on the heat insulator (attached snapshot). It is right above the oil feed-up cap when the bonnet is closed condition. Does anyone had observed the same?
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-dsc_0278.jpg  

Old 21st October 2017, 17:29   #5847
BHPian

My brother had recently bought a Honda City V IDTEC 2017 on June 1st from Brigade Honda Bangalore. Since last month he has been facing some issue with the cruise control.

Actual Problem: He is able to "set” the desired speed, he can “cancel" it, he can even increase or decrease the speed with "+" and "-" buttons. But when he was trying to "resume" the preset speed, it just disconnects.

Please find the detailed video below:

In this Video he actually set the speed to 100KMPH, but when he was trying to resume the speed after 80 KMPH, it was not successful for 3 times and you could see 4th time it goes to the preset speed which is 100KMPH .

This was happening since last month. Initially he encountered this issue after driving for certain kilometers (Around 100+ kms) and this issue will be there till he rests the vehicle for few hours.

However, he faced the same issue when he had been to Hyderabad. This time issue frequency was much quicker like after traveling 50+ kms.
He had reported this issue to Brigade Honda service manager, he requested to give sometime to find some solution to this problem. But we didn’t hear anything from them.

Hence, we have decided to post this problem in this forum to seek some guidance on this issue. We also would like to hear, if anyone has faced this issue before and whether the problem been fixed and how?
Any inputs on this issue would be greatly appreciated....thank you all.
Old 21st October 2017, 19:52   #5848
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkothak View Post
Actual Problem: He is able to "set” the desired speed, he can “cancel" it, he can even increase or decrease the speed with "+" and "-" buttons. But when he was trying to "resume" the preset speed, it just disconnects.
I cannot see what buttons he is pressing, but from your description of the problem I think he is using the cruise control wrong. If by "resume" you mean the car will automatically get back to the same speed at which it was at the time before it got cancelled, then there is nothing like that in cruise control.

Here's how you use it. First thing to be made sure is that 'cruise main' is ON. Then you activate cruise control by pressing 'set', so now your speed is locked at say 100 kmph. To permanently increase/decrease the locked speed use the '+/-' buttons on the steering(so eg: if I keep the + button pressed till the car reaches 120 and release the button, my new locked speed is 120 kmph).

To temporarily increase the speed just press the throttle pedal, the car will cross the locked speed till the time you press the pedal and after releasing the pedal it will fall down to the locked speed(eg: I press the pedal down to overtake and touch 120, when I release the pedal the car will come back to the locked speed of 100 kmph). IIRC if you press the 'set' button at the time when your foot in on the pedal, it will even lock the new speed in that way, but I have to cross check this point. There is no way to temporarily decrease the speed.

In the middle of this if the cruise control gets deactivated, you have to 'set' it again at the desired speed, it won't remember what the last locked speed was before it got deactivated.

If your brother knows all this and still this problem persists, then I suspect a loose connection/faulty button on the steering wheel. Do let me know if I misunderstood your problem.

Last edited by OSH : 21st October 2017 at 20:00.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 21:28   #5849
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
If by "resume" you mean the car will automatically get back to the same speed at which it was at the time before it got cancelled, then there is nothing like that in cruise control.
Errrm that is precisely what the RES button does. It resumes the set speed at which the car was cruising at, before the cruise control was cancelled by stepping on d brake or clutch pedal (in an MT) or pressing the cancel button.
Old 21st October 2017, 22:19   #5850
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Errrm that is precisely what the RES button does.
I apologize, my mistake. I wasn't quite aware of this feature, misunderstood its working. Thanks for correcting me.

MODs please edit/delete my previous post as desired.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks