Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2018, 18:59   #5986
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
1. If they are charging 1800 rupees, do it at the service center itself. Decent shops outside charge around 1500 rupees for all of the above but if they mess up...

2. Does our manual specify this ? Only do it if it's mentioned in the maintenance schedule, don't go by what 3rd party websites say.

3. Waste of money. They will most probably just spray something from würth into your AC vents from outside...

4. I was told that the brake pads of the 4th generation City...

5. Just for my knowledge, what part is this ? Is it the plastic undercover of the engine bay ? If possible, please send a pic of this.
1. Yes, thats the logic I went in and done the Wheel balancing and alignment there. I asked for the report and finally forgot to get it though the SA said she can get it.

2. Injector cleaning - seems like an add-on. Its NOT part of 40K service. However, the trusted SA said we better do it every 20K. I need to confirm this from the manual.

3. Agreed, thats what I too thought. Again, went in because its 750/-

4. You are right. I heard cases where pads were replaced around 20K on ODO. Looking at my ODO, the trusted SA said I got a optimal run [28K]. So, didnt question much.

5. I think, its to avoid some oil leakage. Not sure what exactly it is. I will check once the part comes and I have it replaced. It should happen early next week. Will keep you posted.

Overall, I have completed the servicing and it was whooping 18K and odd for 40K service. This is just too much, I would say.

Prem.
Old 14th February 2018, 19:17   #5987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post

Overall, I have completed the servicing and it was whooping 18K and odd for 40K service. This is just too much, I would say.

Prem.
That is indeed quite a lot. Can you please post the invoice or the breakup of the cost.
Old 14th February 2018, 19:55   #5988
BHPian

Here you go. 3 images of 40K service details. Hope, it comes out clear.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-screen-shot-20180214-7.45.28-pm.png

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-screen-shot-20180214-7.47.56-pm.png

Name:  Screen Shot 20180214 at 7.49.36 PM.png
Views: 6165
Size:  55.8 KB

Last edited by ampere : 14th February 2018 at 20:15. Reason: Made images inline for clarity
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 20:08   #5989
BHPian

Quote:
Service centre applied labour charges for replacing wiper blades that too with GST (Its just two clips that we need to remove and fit it back).

Just for information, I did the wheel balancing, rotation and alignment at reputed tyre shop in Pune at around Rs. 550 /-

But overall, 18K for Honda City (Petrol) servicing is too much what I feel.
Old 14th February 2018, 20:23   #5990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay386 View Post
Service centre applied labour charges for replacing wiper blades that too with GST (Its just two clips that we need to remove and fit it back).

Just for information, I did the wheel balancing, rotation and alignment at reputed tyre shop in Pune at around Rs. 550 /-

But overall, 18K for Honda City (Petrol) servicing is too much what I feel.
I know, its just too much.
When I heard the estimate in the morning, I was thinking of finding an immediate buyer. When I settled the bill in the evening, I kind of decided to keep the car with me for longer than what I initially [when I bought] thought
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 20:25   #5991
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure what exactly it is. I will check once the part comes and I have it replaced. It should happen early next week. Will keep you posted.
Reading the note in your invoice, I think it is the suspension's damper. The part that sits inside the coil-spring to absort the bumps. There must be an oil leak in one of them and so needs replacement, good thing is that they are doing it FOC under warranty instead of quoting that wear and tear parts are not covered.

Quote:
Based on a cursory reading of the invoice, I feel you could have knocked off around 5k from the bill.

Ps : The 2 years AMC i.e. for 4 services comes to around 22k-25k depending on your dealership. Do consider buying it for the following years to keep the maintenance costs low. These AMCs are dealer specific but are just awesome.
Old 14th February 2018, 20:39   #5992
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Prem, I didn't notice any CVT/transmission oil in the bill ;did they skip it finally? On another note, I have VX-CVT that celebrates its 4th birthday this month and had done 39k in this span. At no stage until now have I been made to pay such an amount (I always get my tires balanced, rotated and aligned at outside agencies which have equipment to balance with road force on. Not have I been suggested to change my CVT oil. Even in my other AT car that I have,(not Honda) , the transmission oil is recommended to be changed only at 150k!
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 21:15   #5993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Prem.

The bill amount does seem quite a bit. I also see there are unwanted extras as well.

Honda Diagnostic Scanning
Battery Testing
Wheel Alignment and Balancing is over priced @ 2500INR. I got mine done at Michelin Tyre Empire Whitefield for 1200 I think.
Not sure if you asked for the first 2.

Brakes were 5k (Brembos will be cheaper right ?). That was near 1/3rd of the bill.
Wiper 1k ? I have changed to Bosch Clear Advantage frameless wipers. Comparatively cheaper and better.
Coolant: Top Up of 1L, Really ? Did you check it the coolant container was running that low?
And the list goes on, about how much some was needed.

What scares me is that I too visit Whitefield Honda itself, since my office is next door at Brigade Metropolis. If they keep on adding things without reason, they may get irritated with me.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 14th February 2018 at 21:16.
Old 14th February 2018, 21:33   #5994
BHPian

Quote:
Reading the note in your invoice,..

Ps : The 2 years AMC i.e. for 4 services comes to around 22k-25k depending on your dealership. Do consider buying it for the following years to keep the maintenance costs low. These AMCs are dealer specific but are just awesome.
Yes, I am surprised to hear about the FOC as opposed to wear and tear.
AMC - Do we have one for Honda? Any links/pointer to get one for next couple of years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Hi Prem, I didn't notice any CVT/transmission oil in the bill ;did they skip it finally?
CVT 4L - last but 3 in the 2nd image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Thanks Prem.

Honda Diagnostic Scanning
Battery Testing
Wheel Alignment and Balancing is over priced @ 2500INR. I got mine done at Michelin Tyre Empire Whitefield for 1200 I think.
Not sure if you asked for the first 2.

Brakes were 5k (Brembos will be cheaper right ?). That was near 1/3rd of the bill.
Wiper 1k ? I have changed to Bosch Clear Advantage frameless wipers. Comparatively cheaper and better.
Coolant: Top Up of 1L, Really ? Did you check it the coolant container was running that low?
No, I didnt ask for any Diagnosis and Battery testing. But, I wasn't in a mood to fight for it either in the evening.

What are Brembos?
Do we have clear/frameless wiper blades from Bosch? Where did you get it from?
Coolant - I guess, they may say this is the minimum quantity since we can't share with others! You never know, Being Honda [or Toyota], they could say and we would accept!

Guys
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I do understand I am unfit for such brands, instead should have continued with Tata
For some reason, I was in tremendous pressure of getting this service done on time and just didnt care much to do any homework. I never had to think whenever I gave my Safari and Marina for 10 years before I got hooked up with Honda City.
Even otherwise, I always have some negativity around these brands, well, any non-Indian brands when it comes to automobiles.
All I can say, this is an absolute rude from the service perspective. Its a clear exploitation.

Guess what, I would stand in line at 8:45AM in next 6 months for 50K ODO service in the same location because I dont have any better choice!

Probably, when I take this car on my next Chennai trip and reach the other side in clear 4 hours [Door to Door], I may actually forget and forgive this 18K exploitation

Prem.

Last edited by kaviprem : 14th February 2018 at 21:35.
Old 14th February 2018, 23:40   #5995
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
AMC - Do we have one for Honda? Any links/pointer to get one for next couple of years ?
Yes, we do have the AMCs but not from Honda, it is from your dealership. Like in Mumbai, there is Arya Honda(Shaman Group) and they have 2yrs/4 services AMC, just like that the other dealers of Mumbai; Linkway Honda, Regent Honda, Apex Honda, Viva Honda etc all have these AMCs.

The things covered under such AMCs defer from dealer to dealer. For example, wheel alignment and balancing is covered under the AMC of Arya Honda but it may not be covered under some other dealer's AMC. Then the number of free exterior polishing and interior detailing may vary from dealer to dealer and so on. The price also varies depending on what your dealer is offering but it is in the ballpark of 22k-25k for 2 years which is very reasonable considering the freebies included in the AMC.

But remember one thing, you cannot change to service centers of another group in between your AMC period. So if I have Arya Honda's AMC but I take my car to say Linkway Honda then I will have to pay Linkway Honda for the service, as the AMC is dealer specific. You can visit the different branches of the same group if you want, that's allowed. So when I have Arya Honda's AMC, I can take it to any of the 5 branches they have in Mumbai for service without any problem.

Let me know if you have any other doubts regarding these AMCs, I have been using them since the last 5 years now for my 2012 City and also have it for my 2017 City, so have a fair bit of experience to help you out.

Quote:
What are Brembos?
It is a brand which makes components of the braking system; discs, pads, calipers etc.

Quote:
Do we have clear/frameless wiper blades from Bosch? Where did you get it from ?
You can visit any spare-parts shop and buy them. They will even fit it for free. Bosch wipers are cheap and you can change them every year just before the monsoons.

The ones you bought from the dealer are Syndicate wipers, little expensive but very good. Should last you atleast 2 years if they are taken care of.

Quote:
Coolant - I guess, they may say this is the minimum quantity since we can't share with others! You never know, Being Honda [or Toyota], they could say and we would accept!
Honda's coolant is good for 10 years/1 lakh kms AFAIK. I changed my 2007 City's coolant only after I had crossed this interval last year, before that I had never even needed to top it up.

Quote:
All I can say, this is an absolute rude from the service perspective. Its a clear exploitation. Guess what, I would stand in line at 8:45AM in next 6 months for 50K ODO service in the same location because I dont have any better choice!
I would say, stay away from this service center. You are not the first one to have complaints with this dealership. Give them your piece of mind when you get the feedback call, let them know how you felt after spending 18k on a service.

You had a bitter experience because of the crooks sitting inside this dealership, don't let it ruin your ownership experience. Honda's are very easy to live with, you just have to get hold of the right dealer/SA and leave the rest on them.

Last edited by OSH : 14th February 2018 at 23:44.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 09:09   #5996
BHPian

Quote:
1. Yes, we do have the AMCs but not from Honda, it is from your dealership. Like in Mumbai, there is Arya Honda(Shaman Group) and they have 2yrs/4 services AMC, just like that the other dealers of Mumbai; Linkway Honda, Regent Honda, Apex Honda, Viva Honda etc all have these AMCs.

2. It is a brand which makes components of the braking system; discs, pads, calipers etc.

3. The ones you bought from the dealer are Syndicate wipers, little expensive but very good. Should last you atleast 2 years if they are taken care of.

4. I would say, stay away from this service center. You are not the first one to have complaints with this dealership. Give them your piece of mind when you get the feedback call, let them know how you felt after spending 18k on a service.

5. You had a bitter experience because of the crooks sitting inside this dealership, don't let it ruin your ownership experience. Honda's are very easy to live with, you just have to get hold of the right dealer/SA and leave the rest on them.
Thanks for the comprehensive response. Appreciate your time.

1. I get that. let me check with other dealers too around.

2. Good to know.

3. Nice. I guess, the stock one too served me just about 2 years.

4. Agreed, am eagerly waiting for Honda's feedback call

5. Aha!!! This is exactly what we have been saying for Tata service centres and now with Honda too

Thanks again, Prem.
Old 15th February 2018, 14:56   #5997
BHPian

Quote:
Kaviprem,

That bill is just horrible. I have done servicing till 70K Kms service on my City V MT. Never have I crossed the 6-7K mark on the bill amount.

What's done is done. Few Pointers moving forward:

WA / WB - Outside of ASC - 900-1000 Bucks at worst including weights
AC Disinfectant - Strict No. Not Required
ECU Scanning (Honda Diagnostics) - Only if the Engine Check Light is ON
Injector Cleaning - Nowehere mentioned in the manual. Don't Trust Third Party Websites
Wiper Blades - Buy Outside & DIY. 2 Minute Job. You could have three sets of simple wiper for that cost you paid
Radiator Liquid - Check Radiator Liquid Levels yourself. Only needed if the levels are lower than normal
Things like Air Spray, 3M Hi Power Brake Cleaner should not appear on the Bill. Question them.

You could have easily shaved off 5K Bucks.

As for brake pads, probably your driving style or the city traffic taking a heavy toll on brake pads or its just the AT taking a toll on brake pads.

I am still on stock brake pads at 50K Kms running. Engine braking not only extends life of your brake pads, but helps in braking faster too.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th March 2018 at 00:52. Reason: Removing attachment links
tejas08 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 15:06   #5998
BHPian

Quote:

All I can say, this is an absolute rude from the service perspective. Its a clear exploitation.

Guess what, I would stand in line at 8:45AM in next 6 months for 50K ODO service in the same location because I dont have any better choice!

Prem.
Hi Prem, I have settled on Dakshin Honda on Hosur Road for all my services post my experiences at other dealerships in Bangalore. I can suggest you to go to the Service Advisor that I go to who is a no nonsense fellow and doesn't recommend anything beyond what the car actually requires and as recommended by Honda. He also recommended me not to change oil every 6 months (unless I have done more than 10k in that period if I am using Honda synthetic oil which in any case costs Rs 200 more than mineral oil). Ping me and I will share his contact details with you. That should sort your experience as a Honda customer :-)
Old 15th February 2018, 15:21   #5999
Senior - BHPian

Wow. That's an expensive service indeed. The most I had spent on my diesel City service is 9500 for 80k service interval. Original bill was for 12500 and I managed a 3k discount. It also includes brake pad change. Brake pads usually are fine till 40k. I think 28k is quite early for a change. I do wheel alignment and balancing from outside after every 10k km. Costs me 750Rs.

I strictly follow the manual while going for servicing. Nothing extra unless it's broken.

Recently left side bearing needed replacement. Service centre quoted 4800 for bearing + 2000 labour + gst. I got it done from outside in 2k flat. Its wise to check all options before going the service centre route.

Also, got wipers changed from outside. Cost 300 for bosch wipers. They are really good.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 18:17   #6000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
That bill is just horrible. I have done servicing till 70K Kms service on my City V MT. Never have I crossed the 6-7K mark on the bill amount.
Agreed totally. My bill has never crossed 3-4 k till the 70k service to date. My brakes and battery have gotten replaced but that was out of service. I've also had a tire change but that was due to an accident due to which it burst.

Stick to the manual very firmly for first 2 minutes and the SA on his own will stop pushing. Also tell him about these scams on team bhp
avdhesh15 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks