Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-394.html)

Just thought of giving a feedback with the up sized Michelin Primacy 3ST tyres (195/60 R15) on my VX CVT.

It's been 6000 kms+ with these tyres on. Tyre pressure set at 31 F and 29 R initially, settled to 30.5 F and 28.5 R over the last 2000 kms.

Pros:
- No sign of even a slight wear and tear at the moment
- Fuel efficiency higher than the previous Goodyear GT3 stock size tyres.
- FE observed in the drive which includes some worst bumper to bumper traffic is 10.7 to 11.2 kms/l. Normal traffic driving - 12 to 14 kms/l. Highways - 15 to 21 kms/l.
- Good steering feedback and Handling much improved. I would call Excellent but not Outstanding. Stable in dry and wet conditions.
- Ride comfort much better than previous tyres and in the above mentioned tyre pressures.

Cons:
- Handling as mentioned above not outstanding.
- Small stones gets blocked in the tire grooves which looks bad but no impact on performance.

Overall very much satisfied and a good recommendation for tyre up sizing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogesh.8984 (Post 4293582)
I have Goodyear Assurance as stock tyres on my Honda City iVtec (4th generation 2016 make).

At about 12KMs, front left tyre developed a small bulge on the sidewall (within 1 year of usage). I referred it to Honda ASS and they replied back saying Goodyear after inspection rejected the claim/replacement of bulged tyre. Reason given - it was slightly damaged (slight cut not quite visible to naked eye) from inside due to the pothole impact at high speed. I replaced it with spare tyre (same specs) and put the bulged tyre on spare wheel.

After about 4 month at 16KMs, other front tyre developed a small bulge exactly similar to previous case. With earlier experience, didnít go to ASS for another lengthy inspection process. For now, have switched the bulged tyre with a rare wheel.

Current ODO is at 17KMs and bulge is still of the same size and holding up. I am in dilemma with below two options.

1. Replace two bulged tyres and put similarly spec new ones at front
2. Wait for as long as rare bulged tyre holds up and upsize to 195/60R15 as widely recommended here for 4th generation Honda City

Would appreciate your thoughts.

UPDATE -
After following up with Goodyear and couple of escalations, I got a new tyre (GY Assurance Triplemax 175/65/15 Sept 2017 made) from them at a cost of 2990 (all inclusive). They said that itís a goodwill gesture from them and they don't do it on regular basis.

Suggestions from GY to avoid such issues -
1. Drive very carefully on potholes (especially if you have alloy wheels). Couldn't quite understand the reasoning with alloy wheels though. Advisor was suggesting that in case of alloy wheel, impact on tyre sidewall is higher.
2. Do not inflate tyres beyond specified limits specially on broken roads.
3. We observed that there was a small cut from inside due to impact of rim on inner wall and hence the bulge. Advisor suggested that such damage is not covered under warranty for OEM. Covered if you buy it from dealer/GY under their warranty scheme.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugsrags (Post 4308546)
Apart from that I face a peculiar issue in my bluetooth connectivity. When on a call if i switch my lights on a peculiar disturbance starts which is not present with the lights off. The service centre has sent a video clip of the same to honda let's see what they diagnose since the service centre didn't have a solution to the issue.

Assuming it has something to do with headlamps, my guess is there is an electro magnetic interference here that is causing disturbance. There are relays that separate high voltage/ amp equipment circuits with low voltage ones. There could be an issue with the relay/ circuitry.

You could try replacing or shuffling the headlamp relays from fuse box. For temporary testing you could use any other relay of similar current value to swap and check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugsrags (Post 4308546)
Hi All,


Apart from that I face a peculiar issue in my bluetooth connectivity. When on a call if i switch my lights on a peculiar disturbance starts which is not present with the lights off. The service centre has sent a video clip of the same to honda let's see what they diagnose since the service centre didn't have a solution to the issue.

agree:I face this issue too in my 2016 V Variant i-vtec. The same has been reported by many owners earlier and seems to be a perennial problem.

I have been facing a peculiar noise from the brakes of my December 2016 City VX AT.

Its a deep Chu-chu sound that the brake makes which we often hear from bikes / buses during monsoons, the noise is present almost always whatever be the force i exert on the brakes.

I have lately observed quite a few Honda City's in my vicinity that have this same kind of problem, however, i could not find anything documented here.

Is this a known problem ?? Any part changes that i should be communicating clearly to the Service Center ??

My city has currently done 10.5K Kms in 11 months. I have been hearing this sound from quite a long time, maybe around 7-8 months and have already raised the issue to the Honda SS back in April & again in June / July.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogesh.8984 (Post 4308805)
UPDATE -

Suggestions from GY to avoid such issues -
1. Drive very carefully on potholes (especially if you have alloy wheels). Couldn't quite understand the reasoning with alloy wheels though. Advisor was suggesting that in case of alloy wheel, impact on tyre sidewall is higher.
2. Do not inflate tyres beyond specified limits specially on broken roads.
3. We observed that there was a small cut from inside due to impact of rim on inner wall and hence the bulge. Advisor suggested that such damage is not covered under warranty for OEM. Covered if you buy it from dealer/GY under their warranty scheme.

Tyre Bulge can be either a manufacturing defect or due to the sidewall touching curb while driving or due to an underinflated tyre getting pitched with the alloy (If alloy design is poor) when in a pothole.
They would generally try to show it is not a manufacturing defect but one of the other two causes and would point to marks on the tyre or alloy to prove the same.

Under inflation would be a bigger problem rather than over inflation so the second point seems wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigyy (Post 4309962)
Its a deep Chu-chu sound that the brake makes which we often hear from bikes / buses during monsoons, the noise is present almost always whatever be the force i exert on the brakes.

I have lately observed quite a few Honda City's in my vicinity that have this same kind of problem, however, i could not find anything documented here.

You should not take back delivery of the car from the service centre unless they solve the issue. It could be caused by multiple issues (Since your sound description is not sufficient to isolate the problem without physical inspection.) Something to do with the Discs, the Pads, The Master or Slave cylinders etc. So something as simple as cleaning a part could solve the problem or may require replacing. Leave it upto them to diagnose.

Well I have been facing the same sound too and I complained about it at the last service but they checked the thickness and stated that it is fine. Guess it's just the deteriorating quality at Honda.

Booked an SV Silver with the HU and rear camera upgrades. Added the extended 3+2 year warranty and 4 year Honda Roadside Assist. Total invoice 11.51L OTR, MH-01 registration.
This is Linkway Honda, Saki Naka.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhairavp (Post 4310440)
Booked an SV Silver with the HU and rear camera upgrades. Added the extended 3+2 year warranty and 4 year Honda Roadside Assist. Total invoice 11.51L OTR, MH-01 registration.
This is Linkway Honda, Saki Naka.

Congrats !! However how come the price of the V variant is so high in Mumbai. I thought Octroi is not applicable anymore. In Bangalore, the difference between SV and V is around 20 thousand on the OTR prices.

Hi BHPians, I have a peculiar issue with my horn. I can see that the horn fades at times when I apply breaks. At times, I dunt get the real 'peep' by which I can get convinced that both horns are working well. I had updated the same to my SA during the first and second service. Some fix was done but I am still not satisfied.

Is anyone on the same boat as I am? I owned a Brio earlier and the horn was not too great in that as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhisheknandan (Post 4311333)
Hi BHPians, I have a peculiar issue with my horn. I can see that the horn fades at times when I apply breaks. At times, I dunt get the real 'peep' by which I can get convinced that both horns are working well. I had updated the same to my SA during the first and second service. Some fix was done but I am still not satisfied.



Is anyone on the same boat as I am? I owned a Brio earlier and the horn was not too great in that as well.


I have had similar problem with Honda Brio. Did you change the horn from company fitted one? If yes, it could be because the fuse used for horn is slightly lesser than the amps required for the customised horn. Replace the fuse with a better capacity and it should be fine hopefully

No I haven't made any changes in the company fitted horns. I went to the service station recently and checked by blowing the horns of some 3-4 2017 Citys parked for service. Surprisingly, almost all of them had a slight difference in the horn output which may be because of the usage as well.

I just wish it isn't a major issue and if anyone with the 2017 City is facing the same.

Upgrading the stock horns on City is highly recommended. I also wasn't satisfied with the output of stock horns on my City and replaced them with Roots (ones which are mostly used in VWs). Since then no complaints and pretty effective both on highways and city drives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhisheknandan (Post 4311333)
I don't get the real 'peep' by which I can get convinced that both horns are working well.

Do you feel the sound coming only from the center to right area ? If yes, its just our ears playing with us. It happens because Honda places one horn behind the left foglamp and the second horn in front of the radiator, this makes us believe that only the center horn works. It was the same for even the 3rd gen City, nothing that can be done. The 2nd gen had both the horns in the center(front of radiator) and so they used to sound better and loud.

Quote:

Some fix was done but I am still not satisfied.
They have removed the horns and tuned them, it will go back to it's old state of tune within a few days.

If you are 100% sure that only one horn works, next time tell them to check the ground for both the horns. Honda uses the horn's bracket as ground so there is a chance the bracket must be getting loose and breaking the ground, even this will cause the horn to not work.

Quote:

I just wish it isn't a major issue and if anyone with the 2017 City is facing the same.
The horn is a small disc(~3 inch) horn, don't know the OEM brand for the 3rd & 4th gen, but you need to cut the wires to fit aftermarket horns because Honda uses their own connector plugs which are not present in the aftermarket horns.

If you are hell bent on changing the horns, ask your SA if he can get the 2nd gen's horns fitted without causing warranty issues, they use the same connectors so there won't be any wire cutting involved. The OEM for the 2nd gen was Hella disc(~5 inch) horns which were rated at ~105 db and were quite good even on the highways.

If you are going for aftermarket horns, go for a external relay-wire setup, I was told by an Honda electrician that the horn circuit is just not made for high voltage horns and that was the reason such small disc horns were provided from factory. Just keep in mind that it may void your warranty because you will be using Honda non genuine parts.

Thanks a lot OSH and Yogesh for the suggestions. I anyways do not use horns that much, however, if this still persists, I will check with the SA on the 2nd gen horn replacement.


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:42.