Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-398.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi (Post 4346457)
Hello Fellow BHPians
I have a City 2014 iDTECH SV which was delivered with the Good Year 175/65 R15 tyres. I have already clocked 58K kms. On my recent visit for Balancing/Alignment I was suggested by the mechanic that my tyres cannot be balanced any more as there are slight bubbles on the walls and suggested me to replace my tyres.
I went out to various vendors and found that Continental and Michelin seem to be a good option to move to, after my 3.7 years of Good year driving. Both of them looked good to me as none of them are Carbon tyres. I even plan to upgrade to 185/65 R15.
Based on experience of all of you, which ones should I move on to? Michelin or Continental? Any help really appreciated.

The correct upsize would be 195/60R15. I'd suggest Michelin P3ST - super quiet at highway speeds and great grip as well. In case, you drive on lot of bad roads, you'll be better off with something like a Yoko Earth as Michelins tend to be somewhat sensitive to potholes and stones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi (Post 4346457)
Based on experience of all of you, which ones should I move on to? Michelin or Continental? Any help really appreciated.

I would suggest you Yoko Earth with the below mentioned spec. I am running this for the past 25K Kms and running good. My driving involves some bad roads and mostly highways. Irrespective of that, I would recommend Yoko as opposed to Michelin for the very reason the Yoko Earth is kind of made for Indian road conditions and rubber quality is with rougher touch and can take some beatings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwinsadeep (Post 4346740)
The correct upsize would be 195/60R15. I'd suggest Michelin P3ST - super quiet at highway speeds and great grip as well. In case, you drive on lot of bad roads, you'll be better off with something like a Yoko Earth as Michelins tend to be somewhat sensitive to potholes and stones.


The SRS indicator on my city is ON throughout my drive today. The manual suggests visiting service station in this situation. Are there any quick checks I can perform before doing that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravinemala (Post 4349015)
The SRS indicator on my city is ON throughout my drive today.

It can be an electrical fault or else your seatbelt's pre-tensioners were activated. In any case, you will have to visit the service center.

The 2012 City's manual says that the pre-tentioners can get activated even in a moderate crash where the airbags didn't inflate. The pre-tensioners can work only once (just like the airbags), so to let you know of it's activation, the SRS indicator lights up.
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20180202_000151.jpg

Did you do any panic/hard braking or did you meet with an accident today ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSH (Post 4349030)

Did you do any panic/hard braking or did you meet with an accident today ?

The previous day I had to break suddenly as a cow came in front of my car. A scooter hit the rear bumper. Nothing major, but I assume that could be the reason for pretensioners malfunction

Thanks for pointing me to the right info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi (Post 4346457)
I even plan to upgrade to 185/65 R15.

I'm currently running this exact size with Michelin. I feel 185/65 is a good balance of grip and tyre sidewall & ground clearence increase for bad roads, compared to 175 and 195 options. My tyre size was recommended by my friend who works in Honda pondy. He has 195/60 on his prev gen city.
He did not want me to go for 195s.

Below is my wheel.
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-rps20180203_014859_676.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaviprem (Post 4346813)
I would suggest you Yoko Earth with the below mentioned spec. I am running this for the past 25K Kms and running good. My driving involves some bad roads and mostly highways. Irrespective of that, I would recommend Yoko as opposed to Michelin for the very reason the Yoko Earth is kind of made for Indian road conditions and rubber quality is with rougher touch and can take some beatings.


Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwinsadeep (Post 4346740)
The correct upsize would be 195/60R15. I'd suggest Michelin P3ST - super quiet at highway speeds and great grip as well. In case, you drive on lot of bad roads, you'll be better off with something like a Yoko Earth as Michelins tend to be somewhat sensitive to potholes and stones.

I finally went for Yoko Earth1 as even the owner of the tyre showroom recommended me. Though he mentioned Michelin XM2 also is a great tyre for Indian conditions, it was purely based on cost I went for Yoko Earth1. Somehow the shokeeper was not interested in selling the Continental ones and Bridgestone Ecopia was out of stock.

And the good part is I upgraded to 195/60 R15.

So here goes the cost comparison at the shop:

Yoko Earth 1: INR 5350
Continental: INR 4800
Michelin XM2 : INR 6100

So I chose Earth1 as I had experience with them earlier with my Swift.

Hello Everyone.
Am planning to buy a Honda City automatic 2015 or later with 25000km done.
I wanted your opinion regarding the unforeseen expenditure post extended warranty.I have a wonderful FNG where service will be done post warranty/extended warranty. A friend is into imported spares business. So need not depend on Authorised service.
I understand Honda mechanicals are reliable. But then any insights into parts prone to failure and prices concerning the same,would be very helpful.please:
The prices of spares from Volkswagen and others, post warranty have led me to look at Honda.
Thanks in advance.:)

You are looking to buy the CVT equipped petrol. I own a 2014 diesel City. The car is fairly reliable as such but you will.have to learn to live with all kinds of rattles and squeaks. Also, the seats and the suspensions suck. They seem pretty OK when new but start wearing your spine out in not much time at all. A regular service with a front suspension overhaul costs around 30k. Rear shockers cost about 7k.

Personally, I am rather disappointed with the overall quality and comfort of the car and will suggest you consider other options if you have heavy usage or if this will be the only car in your garage.

I bought a 10 year old City CVT last year. My feedback is that it has a bullet proof engine and will be trouble free. I don't know about newer CVTs but you basically can't go wrong with a city.

I got my 20K service done for my 2014 VMT iVtec today, overall smooth experience. Made the switch to Honda 0W20 fully synthectic engine oil, the engine overall feels smoother and revvs a bit better.

Two observations though:

1. Engine now cranks with a slightly more metallic screech/sound for a tiny fraction of a second, which I felt is a different sound compared to pre-service. Overall revvs pretty well and is smooth as ever while driving. Is this normal and maybe due to a different grade engine oil? The battery was also changed during service, maybe a new battery made the crank that way for the first few tries? The sound seemed to come from exactly the place where the battery is placed in the engine bay.

2. Cabin AC filter was changed, and though the AC has become quieter, I felt the air volume it throws out, especially from the side vents, has reduced a bit. I had to move to 20 instead of my normal 21 C temperature, so I knew I wasn't imagining things.

Any pointers/insights? Going there again next Saturday for the front LHS damper replacement, till then will keep an eye out on these two things.

Thanks.

Hello Sir,

We own a 2017 City CVT. Let me list out the advantages and disadvantages of the City CVT:

Disadvantages:

Overall: The City CVT is a great buy, especially when buying pre-owned, maintenance costs are pretty low, the CVT offers added convenience and the rear seat space is phenomenal.

Even though the City is a great buy, I suggest you look at the Vento DSG which can be had for the same price. The only downer is the relaiability part and the maintenance costs aren’t as cheap as the City’s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swami.n (Post 4349691)
I'm currently running this exact size with Michelin. I feel 185/65 is a good balance of grip and tyre sidewall & ground clearence increase for bad roads, compared to 175 and 195 options. My tyre size was recommended by my friend who works in Honda pondy. He has 195/60 on his prev gen city.
He did not want me to go for 195s.

Below is my wheel.

Interesting to see 185/65R15 - How many kms have you driven with this tire size and how is the high speed stability? This size is generally not recommended on Team-BHP as it increases GC by 12 mm and hence may impact high speed stability. Also the recommended deviation is to stick within 2% of variation from the stock circumference - this seems like a borderline case at 2.1%...

Refer below size comparison info as well:
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-honda_city_size.png

If you can confirm on the high speed stability, I will consider it during my next tire change :thumbs up

Another issue with the 185/65R15 size is that we do not get Michelin P3ST In that size and hence we need to stick to Energy XM2...

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi (Post 4346457)
Hello Fellow BHPians
I have a City 2014 iDTECH SV which was delivered with the Good Year 175/65 R15 tyres. I have already clocked 58K kms. On my recent visit for Balancing/Alignment I was suggested by the mechanic that my tyres cannot be balanced any more as there are slight bubbles on the walls and suggested me to replace my tyres.
I went out to various vendors and found that Continental and Michelin seem to be a good option to move to, after my 3.7 years of Good year driving. Both of them looked good to me as none of them are Carbon tyres. I even plan to upgrade to 185/65 R15.
Based on experience of all of you, which ones should I move on to? Michelin or Continental? Any help really appreciated.

hi,
go in for Michelin 195/65 R15 3PST. The ride with this is good and very less road noise too.
I have done nearly 45K with this in my City and the tyre looks like its good enough to go for another 20K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 4350107)
Interesting to see 185/65R15 - How many kms have you driven with this tire size and how is the high speed stability? This size is generally not recommended on Team-BHP as it increases GC by 12 mm and hence may impact high speed stability. Also the recommended deviation is to stick within 2% of variation from the stock circumference - this seems like a borderline case at 2.1%...

If you can confirm on the high speed stability, I will consider it during my next tire change :thumbs up

Another issue with the 185/65R15 size is that we do not get Michelin P3ST In that size and hence we need to stick to Energy XM2...

I have been using this setup since 2017 May and have done more than 8k kms. The stability is superb(I have gone flat out in 5th and close to the red line) and I have done trips from Chennai-Dhanushkodi among other travels.
Did not face any issues with stability or ground clearance.


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:16.