Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 12:33   #1111
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Has anyone who has owned a Zest experienced a brake cylinder failure yet or even go to the extent of asking if anyone has faced such an issue with any car in just a month of ownership? My friend who recently acquired a Zest XMS Qjet driven less than 2k kms faced one yesterday.

The brake light warning was glowing bright even when it was dis-engaged. On taking it to the nearest Prerana service center, the executive declared that it was a break cylinder failure and the oil had leaked and drained out. Both the cylinder and lining will be replaced in warranty.

Apparantly the part is not available anywhere in Bangalore and has been ordered from the factory and just hoping that this was a one off manufacturing lemon causing the failure than a design/ engineering defect!

Must add that the service personnel have really taken that extra effort to address the issue quickly and even have given him a replacement car for the time being.

However my friend is devastated as he had bought the car against much resistance from all as no to go for a Tata, expecting everything to be all right. Such a failure of a part which is directly related to safety has just shaken him!
Old 20th October 2014, 12:39   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

If we go with online booking, I assume we would know which car is sent in our name from the factory. In case we do a PDI and is not satisfied with results, would the dealer make a fuss citing that the car was shipped in your name from the factory and cannot be given to someone else or something on those lines? Would we be forced to take it irrespective of how it is?
The car is not alloted when you do booking (online or otherwise). The booking basically is the way that the production is finalized. As an example, how many XMA bookings in this month will define the production timelines, forecasts for next month etc.
When you book at the dealer, the dealer will get a count of how many cars to be ordered based on existing stock. If you book at XT Blue and consider that it is in stock already, he wont order for it. If he gets 10 XT Blue bookings and has stock of 5 he will place an order for 10 (or typically 7) with the company.
When you book online - the dealer of choice/closest to your location is informed that you have shown interest and he will add it to his order book. Your car is not assigned to you unless it is in actual stock and you agree to take the car.

If there are more than one dealer close to your location they might be asking you to book from there as the chances of the other dealer getting the allotment if you book online is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post

Apparantly the part is not available anywhere in Bangalore and has been ordered from the factory and just hoping that this was a one off manufacturing lemon causing the failure than a design/ engineering defect!

Must add that the service personnel have really taken that extra effort to address the issue quickly and even have given him a replacement car for the time being.

However my friend is devastated as he had bought the car against much resistance from all as no to go for a Tata, expecting everything to be all right. Such a failure of a part which is directly related to safety has just shaken him!
It seems to be a problem with the particular part. A similar thing had happened to my friends Manza when we took delivery (though it was the clutch master which did not disengage). They fixed it and no other issues in 3 years of ownership.
Tell him not to worry.

Last edited by torquecurve : 20th October 2014 at 12:43.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 12:45   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone who has owned a Zest experienced a brake cylinder failure yet or even go to the extent of asking if anyone has faced such an issue with any car in just a month of ownership? My friend who recently acquired a Zest XMS Qjet driven less than 2k kms faced one yesterday.

The brake light warning was glowing bright even when it was dis-engaged. On taking it to the nearest Prerana service center, the executive declared that it was a break cylinder failure and the oil had leaked and drained out. Both the cylinder and lining will be replaced in warranty.

I have driven my Zest Revotron for 400+ kms, no issues with brake so far.

It is sad to hear QA issues with TML though a lot of effort has been made to ensure the quality. Even in my Zest, the volume down button on steering behaves weirdly sometimes, in the sense it is not smooth to operate, though apart from this, have not faced any issue.

Also really happy to see the Prerana service team coming through nicely. I too had a pleasant experience with car delivery.
isandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 12:57   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post

It seems to be a problem with the particular part. Tell him not to worry.
We are hoping the same and praying that it is an one off issue which might get sorted out after the replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
Also really happy to see the Prerana service team coming through nicely. I too had a pleasant experience with car delivery.
Even though TASS quick response is all fine, the fact of the matter is that a part failure associated with brakes and thus safety related has totally un-nerved my friend and has created a huge trust deficit so early in his ownership.

What if this has happened in the middle of a highway, when he was driving and braking hard, in the middle of nowhere? This part is not yet freely available at any center in a city like Bangalore, so what would he have to endure if he was out of town!
Old 20th October 2014, 13:51   #1115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

What if this has happened in the middle of a highway, when he was driving and braking hard, in the middle of nowhere? This part is not yet freely available at any center in a city like Bangalore, so what would he have to endure if he was out of town!
Tell your friend not to worry. Once in a few thousand/million, a part may fail. That's an unavoidable certainty with mechanical parts. Good to know that there was no sever damage caused by that. So was the brake not getting disengaged? Or he had a problem in braking & slowing down? If it was permanently engaged & not getting disengaged, that would not have resulted in a severe catastrophe.

And don't even think of what "could" have happened. That way the list can have things like drive shafts bursting into pieces, steering joint breaking, suspension setup collapsing when you are doing 120kph on the eway . So please advise your friend not to get pessimistic about it. Otherwise he won't be able to drive with fun for a long time.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 16:22   #1116
BHPian

Quote:
We are hoping the same and praying that it is an one off issue which might get sorted out after the replacement.

Even though TASS quick response is all fine, the fact of the matter is that a part failure associated with brakes and thus safety related has totally un-nerved my friend and has created a huge trust deficit so early in his ownership.

All cars have split braking systems with tandem master cylinder. Meaning: Two independent braking systems operated by a single brake pedal. For front wheel drive cars, the split is usually diagonal (front left and rear right brakes are linked and front right and rear left brakes are linked). If any one of the systems leaks the other is functional and helps stop the car.

This means that though the wheel cylinder failure is a bad thing, your friend was probably not in danger.
Motard_Blr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 18:51   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasworld View Post
I had booked my car (diesel XT) during launch in August. Last week I was told that the car is in transport and i should be getting it in 10-12 days and need to come over and make my payments.

Anyways on Thursday I visited the showroom (KB motors Kolkata) for these formalities. I was asking about any discount or freebies available and the SA told me that I will be getting a welcome kit which is a combination of some accessories. This is a new offer tata motors is giving to customers working in any tata company. There are 6 options available; I choose the utility pack which comprised of a car cover, rubber mat, mud flaps and mobile holder.

Also to my surprise, the SA said that I take the insurance on my own. I promptly did and saved 4k compared to what KB motors was quoting.

Is this is new trend, that dealers are allowing customers to choose their insurance or tata motors really wants to build customer trust?
Hi,
Yes this is standard dealers are happy to allow customer to buy their own insurance, I've booked from TC Motors Revetron XT, I've requested for body color on brake calipers and the 18/16 spoke alloy wheel the ones from the lower models.

I've also been promised the welcome kit being a Tata Employee and I plan to stick to what you have chosen! I've checked out insurance from outside and shopped around a bit! The best quote is from Royal Sundaram!

Have you opted for the extended warranty?

My car is yet to be allotted! Kindly keep us posted on your experience!
Old 20th October 2014, 22:30   #1118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Hi,
I've also been promised the welcome kit being a Tata Employee and I plan to stick to what you have chosen! I've checked out insurance from outside and shopped around a bit! The best quote is from Royal Sundaram!

Have you opted for the extended warranty?

My car is yet to be allotted! Kindly keep us posted on your experience!
I also went for Royal Sundaram.
I will be taking the extended warranty and the gold AMC. I was told to expect the car towards end of October.
Old 21st October 2014, 00:54   #1119
BHPian

This is the quote of the XMA I got from my dealer in Mathura, UP:

Ex-showroom: 7,11,385
Insurance: 24481
Accessories: 5000
RTO: 61007
Extended warranty: 5950
Other VAS: 3500 (Anti-rust & teflon)
Transportation: 6500

Total: 817873 Rupees on road.

Please let me know friends if you see anything unusual. Also, what about finance deals? I am planning to pay Rs.2 Lac as down payment and rest to be financed, prefferably from SBI, in Bangalore.
Old 21st October 2014, 05:29   #1120
BHPian

Check insurance from outside you may do some savings there
Old 21st October 2014, 11:31   #1121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post

Please let me know friends if you see anything unusual. Also, what about finance deals? I am planning to pay Rs.2 Lac as down payment and rest to be financed, prefferably from SBI, in Bangalore.
Company provided Extended Warranty at Bangalore is Rs 8200 and I believe it is same everywhere. So please check if the one quoted by you is from dealer or Tata Motors, if it is from dealer, then it may be better to go for the Tata one.

Also can you specify what is provided under accessories for 5000. For Anti rust and Teflon, price seems ok, but ensure that genuine products are used and a warranty is provided for it.

I believe you can save a minimum of Rs 5000 on regular insurance if you try outside, check online options like Royal Sundaram first.
Old 21st October 2014, 12:53   #1122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post

Like others have suggested, better to go with insurance on your own, and also the VAS stuff, ignore it and get it done at 3M or other similar companies, where they would do a professional job, in front on your eyes.

Along with SBI, other banks are also offering festival offers like no processing fees and other such benefits. Do check with few more banks and then decide. I have an SBI car loan, no complaints, nor are there any special privileges of getting it.

I see that you are buying the car in mathura and looking at a loan from Bangalore? Is that even possible? I think there is a separate thread on the exact same issue, please check if it is possible.

Last edited by dass : 21st October 2014 at 12:56.
Old 21st October 2014, 19:57   #1123
BHPian

Hi Guys,

So the Zest seems all good to most people. I have now gone through the process of getting a quote, and going through the rest of it. Just read above about a major failure in one of the car bought recently, now iam sure that is not usual, and would be a very rare case, but it kinda scared me.

My choice has been really tough between DZire and Zest, with what i hear, decision takes a back step. Iam hoping Zest changes my perception of Tata cars being high on maintenance.

Regards,
Devyaani.
Old 21st October 2014, 21:52   #1124
BHPian

Looks like Kerala has taken to the Zest! Must have seen atleast 10 of them on the roads! The Road Presence is really good. The more I see the Zest the more attractive it seems compared to the other's of it's class!
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:11   #1125
BHPian

[url][ http://www.hindustantimes.com/punjab/chandigarh/selling-defective-car-costs-auto-dealer-tata-motors-rs-7-5-lakh/article1-1277650.aspx URL]

These kind of instances are sure to scare away potential buyers of Tata vehicles.
Hoping the new Zest will be different!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks