Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2017, 13:51   #2191
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help Needed- Ciaz Steering Issue

Try using a different set of tyres if you could borrow.. at least the front ones..

Hard rubber from a poor manufacturer could be a probable reason that could have been overlooked
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 15:14   #2192
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
Actually that stiff feel is felt after a few kms of driving.
Is the wear on the tyre surface even on all 4 tyres?

Can you check the tie rods once?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 15:32   #2193
Distinguished - BHPian

Try and check the following now, assuming you have tried what all has been listed down here before, such as tire pressure and tie rod ends.

- Check the steering geometry. This seems to be the culprit if everything else is in place

- Get the toe in and toe out checked along with the camber as well. Try and get this done from an independent shop instead of your regular service centres

- Get the bushes in the steering thoroughly inspected. Might be unlikely, but still. Also try to listen out for any weird clanks or rattles

- Check the tyres for wear

Last edited by vishy76 : 9th July 2017 at 15:43.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 11:23   #2194
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Try using a different set of tyres if you could borrow.. at least the front ones..

Hard rubber from a poor manufacturer could be a probable reason that could have been overlooked
It seems so, yesterday i swapped the front tyres with my Friend's Ciaz ZXi+ having same tyre size and rims. Mine were Good Years and his are Apollo Alnacs. They had done close to 10k. Just after a swap i felt the change. Though it was not a drastic one but yes there is a difference.The feel of driving a ciaz has changed quite a bit. The steering feels one point lighter than before. These tyres feel much softer that Good Years even when the tyre pressure has not been checked on them since quite a few days and my good years were inflated till 36 PSI to check the steering issue. But i think the noise on them while doing 80+ is higher than Good Years, but anyways thats not my issue for now.I am driving them for a few more days. Atleast for 200 more kilometers before giving them back to my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Is the wear on the tyre surface even on all 4 tyres?

Can you check the tie rods once?
Yes, the tyres wear n tear is almost the same on all 4 tyres
For Tie rods, i think i need to visit the MASS again. Will do that by weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Try and check the following now, assuming you have tried what all has been listed down here before, such as tire pressure and tie rod ends.

- Check the steering geometry. This seems to be the culprit if everything else is in place

- Get the toe in and toe out checked along with the camber as well. Try and get this done from an independent shop instead of your regular service centres

- Get the bushes in the steering thoroughly inspected. Might be unlikely, but still. Also try to listen out for any weird clanks or rattles
Yes , thanks for the suggestion, this is the kind of information i was looking for . Atleast i can tell the MASS or the local shops what to check. Otherwise these people just avoid doing an indepth analysis. I will do get all that checked once i visit them next on the weekend. For now i am just crossing my fingures and hoping that it comes out to be a tyre issue.

By the way. Just in case it gets confirmed that it is a tyre issue, then what are my options

1 Swap front two tyres with a new set ?
2 What brand would be suggested. As i still doubt that the apollos that i have tried are run only 10k . Hope they also dont get stiffer after 12-15k mark just like my good years have gone.
3 Are Good Years known for such issues or is this one of a incident.
Old 15th July 2017, 10:21   #2195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post

- Check the tyres for wear
Can you tell me if a steering rattle is related to this problem of stiff steering. I believe both these issues could be co related.Also as i mentioned by suspension bushes were replaced as part of a recall, so i have a doubt that during that replacement the assembly might have been hampered or some part let loose. I read somewhere on the internet that a few i20 owners has a steering rattle problem in their car. That rattle is observed when the car goes through very light potholes or a bad patch of the road which is not like too deep or bumpy but just an uneven kind of road just like a concrete road at a few places.I feel this could be the same reason for my car rattle as as well the stiffness in steering.Should i get my steering assembly replaced under warranty?
Old 15th July 2017, 16:22   #2196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
Can you tell me if a steering rattle is related to this problem of stiff steering. I believe both these issues could be co related.Also as i mentioned by suspension bushes were replaced as part of a recall, so i have a doubt that during that replacement the assembly might have been hampered or some part let loose. I read somewhere on the internet that a few i20 owners has a steering rattle problem in their car. That .....
This might be the reason to your problem. Remember, a faulty repair might show its effects in the longer term rather than immediately after it has been carried out. This is especially important with suspension parts. Probable causes:

- Over torquing of the suspension or its associated parts might have lead to worn out bushes within the steering itself. If the bolts are not torqued up precisely, the bushes might wear out prematurely

- Again, if this was not carried out properly as a repair, the steering geometry might have been disturbed internally as well

As far as I have seen, Maruti is liberal with warranty replacements. Get the steering column replaced if it's possible but, remember to check what your service centre is doing, or better get it done at another centre. You wouldn't want to face the same issue again.

Regards,
Vishy

Last edited by vishy76 : 15th July 2017 at 16:24.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 09:30   #2197
BHPian

Guys I just booked the Alpha AT Nexa Blue.
The only after market accessory that I would want are a good set of 3D mats.

I see many brands on Amazon which is very confusion so any suggestion would be welcome.
Old 18th July 2017, 15:45   #2198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijit.gangwar View Post
Guys I just booked the Alpha AT Nexa Blue.
The only after market accessory that I would want are a good set of 3D mats.
Congrats man!

I would suggest you to evaluate 3M noodle/nomad mats also. They are really good at doing the job of keeping all dust and dirt hidden and you have to clean it only once in several weeks.

This is slightly expensive though with around Rs.250/sq.ft. My car needed 22sq.ft. But, I don't regret the decision even though aesthetically it might not be as good as 3D mats. Btw, even though there are many cheaper mats in normal market, they are not as good or effective as 3M mats.

Last edited by Midas : 18th July 2017 at 15:47.
Old 19th July 2017, 09:24   #2199

New Ciaz Diesel high engine noise

Hi All, I took delivery of my new Ciaz Alpha Diesel in 3rd week of June 2017 and it has done 1300KM so far. Few days after delivery I noticed engine knocking up from 1300 rpm and subsides at around 2000 rpm. It might have been there since delivery of the vehicle but I noticed it only after few days of running. This problem was intermittent initially as engine ran fine at the same rpm range sometimes. But i is now present most of the time though occasionally absent.

I reported this problem to the service center during 1K service. The engine was running fine without the knocking or high noise when SA test drove it. I took the delivery of the car and took it to him again the next day. In this test drive he accepted the issue but told me that it is due to adulterated fuel. I had filled in from the same fuel pump for which the dealer gave free diesel coupons at the time of delivery!! Anyway, he asked me to fill the next tank from company owned fuel pump and see. I filled the next tank from IoC COCO but the problem still persists even after 200KM of driving with new tank full.

I took the car out this morning to closely observe the problem. For the first 2 KM when the engine was cold, knocking and also high engine noise was present. It is expected for diesels I guess. Then it was absent for sometime (another 2Km KM) and again came back and persisted till I reached home (another 4KM).

Please advice the next steps? Should I escalate to Maruti?

Thanks in Advance
lb
Old 19th July 2017, 16:13   #2200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Congrats man!

I would suggest you to evaluate 3M noodle/nomad mats also. They are really good at doing the job of keeping all dust and dirt hidden and you have to clean it only once in several weeks.

This is slightly expensive though with around Rs.250/sq.ft. My car needed 22sq.ft. But, I don't regret the decision even though aesthetically it might not be as good as 3D mats. Btw, even though there are many cheaper mats in normal market, they are not as good or effective as 3M mats.
Thanks! I was able to locate this http://www.amazon.in/Volga-Heavy-Noo...2GJR1APTYKBMQZ on Amazon India site. Did you mean this or should I visit 3M.
Old 19th July 2017, 18:35   #2201
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Ciaz Diesel high engine noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbhavani View Post
Hi All, I took delivery of my new Ciaz Alpha Diesel in 3rd week of June 2017 and it has done 1300KM so far. Few days after delivery I noticed engine knocking up from 1300 rpm and subsides at around 2000 rpm. It might have been there since delivery of the vehicle but I noticed it only after few days of running. This problem was intermittent initially as engine ran fine at the same rpm range sometimes. But i is now present most of the time though occasionally absent.

Please advice the next steps? Should I escalate to Maruti?

Thanks in Advance
lb
Will it be possible for you to make a clip of audio/video of this where the noise is audible? Its very rare to hear knocking from the 1.3 MJD engine. Especially in the RPM band that you are mentioning. It has so much lugging torque/power that in my car it doesn't knock even at 900 rpm in higher gears at very low speeds. Just keeps pushing the car forward.

So if it is indeed knocking - you better visit the service center.
Old 20th July 2017, 13:00   #2202
BHPian

Hi Ciaz AT owners,
Could you please let me know what FE figures you're getting in the city? What can one expect to get if he's mostly going to drive in bumper to bumper traffic?

Thanks.
Old 21st July 2017, 16:38   #2203
BHPian

Have hired CIAZ AT rental car twice.
If you are a relaxed driver then you can expect following:-
City traffic 11-12 kmpl
City clear roads 13-14 kmpl
Highway traffic 14-15 kmpl
Highway cruising 16-17 kmpl
fuelinmyveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 16:42   #2204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
Have hired CIAZ AT rental car twice.
If you are a relaxed driver then you can expect following:-
City traffic 11-12 kmpl
City clear roads 13-14 kmpl
Highway traffic 14-15 kmpl
Highway cruising 16-17 kmpl
Thanks! And how's the driving experience in terms of smoothness and performance?
meetgds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 20:19   #2205
BHPian

If you drive in a relaxed manner then it's really good. The torque multiplication provided by the torque converter coupled with responsive nature of 1.4 liter k series petrol helps in zippy response at city speeds. The kickdown times are adequate and acceleration in overdrive is also decent. It's not that suited for pedal to metal style of driving for that application DSG is much better.

To tell you frankly I prefer this set up over the DSG setup in Vento wherein at low speeds, the lag from the turbo petrol is accentuated with the lag from DSG ( no torque converter and slippage of clutch).

So for spirited driving(pedal to metal) the DSG setup in Vento is the best but for other situations CIAZ AT is well suited.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks