Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2014, 12:34   #61
BHPian

Agree partly- when you do. Zero to 100 it's all about quick up shifts and the Torque at the lower RPMs ( how quickly it's generated) and you slide up. If you wait until you redline on each gear - there is a good chance you will lose out on the 0-100 dash. For this, you power should be in between the 2nd and third gear ( which I agree need to be redlined). Quicker upshifts meaning - higher torque generated at lower RPMs...
Old 30th October 2014, 09:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review

I drove the Rapid DSG yesterday. The comfort of not having to operate the clutch is simply superb. However I didn't like the below points.
1. The car was too low, I hit my head when entering and exiting the car.
2. There was a certain lag in the initial stages, but once it picks up speed it was good.I think the DSG wasnt keen to drop a gear for quick acceleration in D mode.
3. I had to really push the accelerator pedal in the D mode to gain speed quickly.
4. S Mode was funny,it didn't change gear till 4K rpm, may be for the highway but I didn't like it.
5. The acceleration was linear and I didn't feel the punch of my SWIFT, the turbo surge.
6. The car is strictly a four seater.

In the end, it was a mixed bag.
They should have priced at least the ambition plus below 10L to increase the value proposition. I didnt see the value of Rapid DSG apart from the comfort of an AT.

At 13.3 L onroad in PUNE, I could get a XUV W6 with lot more space but no automatic.

Last edited by F150 : 30th October 2014 at 09:42.
F150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 10:32   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnair View Post
What matters is at what RPM the torque is generated - the lower the RPM, the quicker is your 0-100. With our country where people value mileage more than anything car manufacturers are not keen on bringing the higher capacity engines with higher torque and BHP...😔
Nothing can be far from truth. For quick response, keep the engine ticking always in the higher rpm band. Shift down early and shift up late is the thumb rule I follow to the response fast in any car I drive.

I can only speak for myself. I do not want to drive a car like a bullock cart.

Regarding use of DSG, in S mode the gear shifts take place at the higher rpm band, both up shifts and down shifts. In case of D mode, the up shift takes place at the lower range of higher rpm band and down shift takes place at a very low rpm
Old 31st October 2014, 11:09   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
5. The acceleration was linear and I didn't feel the punch of my SWIFT, the turbo surge.
That's exactly what's missing in the new 1.5 TDi compared to the older 1.6. I remember driving the Vento 1.6 and the midrange was nice. I had a smile on my face till the test drive ended.

With the new 1.5, it had become so linear that I kept wishing for more midrange surge. I think this could be because I'm used to the midrange punch of the MJD. The power is still there, but feels very linear and lacks the urgency of the older Vento.
Old 31st October 2014, 11:58   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That's exactly what's missing in the new 1.5 TDi compared to the older 1.6. I remember driving the Vento 1.6 and the midrange was nice. I had a smile on my face till the test drive ended.

With the new 1.5, it had become so linear that I kept wishing for more midrange surge. I think this could be because I'm used to the midrange punch of the MJD. The power is still there, but feels very linear and lacks the urgency of the older Vento.
Yes, that was one of the main reasons why I didn't enjoy the drive much. With the wow factor missing , I didn't see any reason why I should upgrade. For a more powerful DSG experience, we should look much further at JETTA or OCTAVIA which are beyond my budget.
Old 4th November 2014, 15:58   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
Nothing can be far from truth. For quick response, keep the engine ticking always in the higher rpm band. Shift down early and shift up late is the thumb rule I follow to the response fast in any car I drive.
What you are saying is generally true for NA Petrols where peak torque is generated relatively high in the RPM range (3, 4, 5k rpm). This is not needed for turbo-diesels, where peak torque is available from as low as 2k rpm, you don't have to keep the engine ticking in a higher rpm band to accelerate fast - just stay in the peak torque RPM band. In fact, the older and larger NA diesels (like the 2.8L straight 6 in the Nissan Cedric) needed just a dab on the accelerator in any gear at almost any rpm above idle, to pull strongly. I think this is what adnair was referring to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnair View Post
What matters is at what RPM the torque is generated - the lower the RPM, the quicker is your 0-100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
Regarding use of DSG, in S mode the gear shifts take place at the higher rpm band, both up shifts and down shifts. In case of D mode, the up shift takes place at the lower range of higher rpm band and down shift takes place at a very low rpm
The DSG in the Rapid does exactly what you were saying (shift up late, shift down early). It is designed to shift up at 4k rpm probably because that's where the torque start tailing off. It would be helpful to see a comparison of the torque curve of the new 1.5 versus the older 1.6 given that they have the same peak power and torque figures at approximately the same RPMs. Would probably show that the torque curve of the 1.5 is flatter, which is better for sedate drivers. Should be interesting.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 08:39   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
What you are saying is generally true for NA Petrols where peak torque is generated relatively high in the RPM range (3, 4, 5k rpm).
Agreed
Quote:
This is not needed for turbo-diesels, where peak torque is available from as low as 2k rpm, you don't have to keep the engine ticking in a higher rpm band to accelerate fast - just stay in the peak torque RPM band.
What I experienced with the turbo diesels which I have driven so far (Tata Indigo Merina/ Manza/ Fiat Linea and Punto/ Renault Duster/ Rapid) is as follows. The useful range of rpm in these cars as I have experienced is from 2000 rpm upwards. When I say shift high at low rpm, I meant at about 2000 rpm. Shift high at high rpm is at about 3500 rpm. If we continue to go up above 3500 rpm, we do not get any appreciable acceleration and the speed response will be flat. (The rpm figures may be slightly different from car to car).
Quote:
In fact, the older and larger NA diesels (like the 2.8L straight 6 in the Nissan Cedric) needed just a dab on the accelerator in any gear at almost any rpm above idle, to pull strongly.
I do not have any experience (wish I could have).
Quote:
The DSG in the Rapid does exactly what you were saying (shift up late, shift down early). It is designed to shift up at 4k rpm probably because that's where the torque start tailing off. It would be helpful to see a comparison of the torque curve of the new 1.5 versus the older 1.6 given that they have the same peak power and torque figures at approximately the same RPMs. Would probably show that the torque curve of the 1.5 is flatter, which is better for sedate drivers. Should be interesting.
I agree. Thanks for putting in right perspective.
alavandar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 17:46   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
As the sales figures indicate, the Rapid is doing quite poorly and so is VW's Vento. It isn't solely because of the company's poor reputation when it comes to reliability or after sales experience but also because the cars have been around since 2010 without any significant changes apart from the wide range of powerplants on offer. Even with the DSG+Diesel combo, the Rapid may not taste similar success to the MT versions of the City, Ciaz or Verna, and that is purely because the design has begun to show its age - both interiors and exteriors. Skoda should have showed its seriousness towards India by launching the 2015 Rapid instead of this car with a minor makeover.

Picture Source
I can't agree more. This was the right time to give this car a face-lift which is long due. Among all the cars Skoda has in its stable today, Rapid is the only one which seems to be priced reasonably well. An European design face-lift added to this could have made more heads turn - especially the black edition.
ABS9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 19:39   #69
BHPian

Fellow BHPians from Bengaluru, which is the best Skoda dealer (sales and service) in Bengaluru as I am very much impressed with Rapid DSG and planning to TD and book the car. Please help me out.
Old 8th November 2014, 20:32   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Fellow BHPians from Bengaluru, which is the best Skoda dealer (sales and service) in Bengaluru as I am very much impressed with Rapid DSG and planning to TD and book the car. Please help me out.
Vinayak Skoda. We're in the process of buying a Rapid from them and they're excellent.
Old 8th November 2014, 20:47   #71
Senior - BHPian

Both Vinayak and TAFE have credit for unfair practice but when it comes to better buying experience Vinayak is good and are flexible with negotiation.

Last edited by deehunk : 8th November 2014 at 21:04.
Old 19th November 2014, 15:14   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Overall Vinayak Skoda is better, but its also varies depending on the sales executive.

I have bought my Rapid from Vinayak and visited TAFE, Hosur road couple of times and found some sales executives are good there too. In fact i was able to squeeze better deal from TAFE for one of my friend(compared to Vinayak). Let me know if you want to give a try? I can PM the details.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 17:32   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
In fact i was able to squeeze better deal from TAFE for one of my friend(compared to Vinayak). Let me know if you want to give a try? I can PM the details.
It would be useful if you could share the details in open forum. Though I am not from Bengaluru, it might still give a fair idea. Thanks in advance.
Old 20th November 2014, 06:26   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neethi_raj View Post
It would be useful if you could share the details in open forum. Though I am not from Bengaluru, it might still give a fair idea. Thanks in advance.
Here are the details.... My friend bought his car in 2013 and he got 30k additional cash discount and 3k accessories @TAFE in comparison to Vinayak Skoda.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 23:33   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Overall Vinayak Skoda is better, but its also varies depending on the sales executive.

I have bought my Rapid from Vinayak and visited TAFE, Hosur road couple of times and found some sales executives are good there too. In fact i was able to squeeze better deal from TAFE for one of my friend(compared to Vinayak). Let me know if you want to give a try? I can PM the details.
Thanks hillsnrains. That would be of great help. I am planning to book in about a month and half (as i have some commitment now). Please let me know the details.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks