Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2015, 16:26   #421
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

I have checked the Jazz last weekend in Dakshin Honda hosur road showroom. There are not many people checking out the Jazz and it's very evident that the demand is not much. On the contrary they don't have the diesel variants neither for test drive not they have started the delivery.

1. On the other hand the build is sturdy.
2. Fit and finish is good and not inferior to i20.
3. Best in class space management. i20 doesn't hold a candle in this department.
4. Styling wise it pales in front of big brother City , but good enough to stand beside i20.
5. The sitting position is good with a lot of travel so that you can easily find a good driving position.
6. The FE is surely better than i20.

As per me the little premium in price it demands over i20 is justified although i20 itself is priced higher.

Upon asking the waiting period for diesel, they are saying 2-3 months. Question to all Bangalore members to validate if they have really so many bookings for diesel or they are just creating an artificial demand.
sou_3749 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 19:54   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
Upon asking the waiting period for diesel, they are saying 2-3 months. Question to all Bangalore members to validate if they have really so many bookings for diesel or they are just creating an artificial demand.
I believe that is their general sales pitch (across all manufacturers). This may be to create a false sense of demand for the car as people generally tend to believe any car readily available should have discounts and may not be a fast mover in the market and hence lower re-sale value later.

Suggest you check with the other dealers as well.
Old 22nd July 2015, 21:09   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
I believe that is their general sales pitch (across all manufacturers). This may be to create a false sense of demand for the car as people generally tend to believe any car readily available should have discounts and may not be a fast mover in the market and hence lower re-sale value later.
I don't know about Bangalore, but it is not as much in demand as Honda would like it to be.

Most colours in petrol are available within a week and in diesel , a maximum of 21 days is what they ask in tamilnadu.
Old 22nd July 2015, 22:26   #424
BHPian

I did back to back TD's of the petrol Jazz and the petrol i20 last Sunday and below are the things that I noticed-

-The interiors of the Jazz aren't bad , the i20 is better but the Jazz is acceptable

-The Jazz is extremely spacious and I don't think any other hatch comes close to the space offered, not that the i20 makes you feel cramped but the first thing that hits you when you enter the Jazz is how spacious it is for a hatch.

-The Magic seats are really comfortable and there's a major difference between the Magic seats and the normal ones as in you almost don't like to sit on the normal seats of the lower variants after trying out the Magic seats, atleast that's what I felt.

-The touchscreen unit on the VX variant is hopeless, it didn't register most of my inputs and I had to press on every option twice to get a response ,I don't know how is anyone supposed to operate it while driving and I personally don't think it will last long. It seems to be awfully short on processing power.

-The A/C on the Jazz is loud and I mean loud loud , on full blast it can drown out every other noise , I don't know if this was an issue specific to the vehicle I TDed maybe someone else can check.

-The touchscreen ACC felt weird to me as I had to take my eyes off the road every time I wanted to change anything, I guess with prolong use one would get used to it but initially it does feel awkward.

-The Jazz felt better to drive than the I20 , the i20 felt less powerful , but one thing I must mention is how quiet the engine on the i20 is, I stalled the car once and on pushing the button again I had to check with the SA whether it had really started.

-One thing about the Jazz that worries me is that it has no guard underneath the engine while the i20 has some sort of sheet running around the periphery underneath. I asked the SA if Honda provides a guard and he said I was the 2nd person to ask him and he would have to check with the company.Can anyone please advise whether this can be installed from outside and is there any place in Mumbai where this can be done?.

I am really confused, I cannot live with the touchscreen and the wires in the glovebox on the VX and the I can't compromise on the magic seats. Honda should have given Magic Seats on the V variant too.

My wife is hellbent on buying the Elite i20 as she thinks it offers most of what we are looking for with fewer compromises as we drive only on weekends and only within the city from point A to B. Our monthly running is less than 200 kms.

Apart from that the Honda showroom was empty when I went and while I was leaving a girl/lady came in enquiring about the Jazz. The SA said they had 50 bookings and the waiting period was 2 months , looking at the crowd in the showroom on a weekend I really doubt if that is the case.

I personally think the Jazz's pricing is acceptable if only they hadn't messed up the top two varaints.
chirag08 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 22:58   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

The Euro-spec 2015 Honda Jazz will get an all-new 1.3L i-VTEC unit, producing 102 PS of power @ 6,000 RPM and 123 Nm of torque.

Will we see this in a possible Jazz RS version in the future?

Quote:
Honda has replaced the older 1.2- and 1.4-liter engines with a 1.3-liter i-VTEC petrol engine capable of 102 PS at 6,000 rpm and 123 Nm of torque.

Paired to this engine is a new 6-speed manual transmission or a CVT. With the former, the Jazz is claimed to accelerate to 100 km/h in 11.2 seconds and hit a top-speed of 190 km/h. Also, the Jazz is equipped with disc brakes all around, while additional safety features come in the form of ABS, EBD, VSA and Hill Start Assist, not to forget 6 airbags.
IAB
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 23:09   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Euro-spec 2015 Honda Jazz will get an all-new 1.3L i-VTEC unit, producing 102 PS of power @ 6,000 RPM and 123 Nm of torque.
99.9-100% NO. If we see a performance variant of the Jazz, it will be with the Honda City's 1.5 L i-VTEC. Highly unlikely that Honda will import/manufacture this 1.3 engine for just one model which will sell in miniscule numbers as it'll be more expensive.

The Euro and RSA models have been getting that 1.25 L (1246 cc) engine in the last generation Jazz. We get the differential treatment due to our tax structure which favours small petrol cars with engines less than 1200 cc.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 22nd July 2015 at 23:12.
Old 22nd July 2015, 23:19   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag08 View Post

I personally think the Jazz's pricing is acceptable if only they hadn't messed up the top two varaints.
That's basically the long story short.
Provide magic seats on the V variant even if that means a price increase of 10-15K and scrap the VX variant. That way, the V variant will be priced at par with the I20 Asta and become a very good option IMO.
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 08:40   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeet8686 View Post
I too have booked a SV MT Petrol at Crystal Honda, Bavdhan, Pune and there too no delivery date has been commited. As per them there is a waiting on this model and color(Golden Brown Metallic) and will take 1-2 months for delivery.

I believe they have an S CVT variant available for test drive. If you want you may get a test ride there.
I did test drive the S CVT at Bavdhan but the sales person did not let me drive it on the highway, just in the lane of the dealership saying something along the lines or registration is still not completed. What I really want is a proper test drive of the V CVT, not a 5 minute round in a small lane.

On the other hand Deccan Honda on Bund Garden Road told me that SV MT's have arrived and deliveries will start by next week. Do check with them if they have ready stock for golden brown.
SneakyFunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:36   #429
BHPian

Quote:
There were many inquiries and partial bookings before the prices on the New Jazz were released. Mind you, bookings are fully cancellable so people could have gone ahead with the same hoping to see a great price reduction compared the the earlier Jazz. I don't think there are so many inquisitive customers at the moment. People that do not want to spend more and want a diesel are looking at Beat/ Celerio. Others are looking at spending a few lakhs more and getting a sedan.

Quote:
-The touchscreen ACC felt weird to me as I had to take my eyes off the road every time I wanted to change anything, I guess with prolong use one would get used to it but initially it does feel awkward.
Its the same on the new Honda City. While I have my own since 2009, I recently drove to Bangalore in my friends City. On the way up(Hyd-Blr), my thought were the same as you mentioned, it indeed needed a lot of effort to realize what's what and operate it optimally. But, surprisingly on the way back, I was totally at ease with the same, I guess it needs a bit of getting used to.

Quote:
I am really confused, I cannot live with the touchscreen and the wires in the glovebox on the VX and the I can't compromise on the magic seats. Honda should have given Magic Seats on the V variant too.

I guess you should TD both the cars again and make-up your mind on what is worth your buck. Since there are no magic seats on variants minus the top one, and that is something you like the most, I guess your choice would be VX if its going to be Jazz. Can you ask the dealer if they can offer an upgrade to the touch-screen unit? Or you can always get a replacement in the after-market in a few months.

I had a Hyundai vehicle earlier and now have a Honda one. While not taking anything away from Hyundai, they have always offered the best VFM cars in the market. But, long term reliability and peace of mind are truly stated in Honda's.

--Kalyan

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th July 2015 at 14:13. Reason: ANHC > Honda City. Please refrain from using acronyms for cars while posting. Thanks!
kalyan_hyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:30   #430
BHPian

Currently we own a Ford Ikon diesel which has served us well for about 1L kms. Lately it has started getting a few niggles and we decided it is time for a new car especially since wifey uses the car most of the time in the city.

We need a hatch back with safety features, decent boot space and a 60-40 split seat for our once a month long drives. The Jazz with the magic seats and safety features sounded like a great option. Wife and daughter liked the the car a lot and I pre-booked it soon after the announcement was made. The dealer said it could take about 2 months post launch for delivery because of the delivery.

The car has been a disappoint price-wise. Having driven a Zen 98 model and Ikon 2009 model in the last 12 years, I am not too worried about the plastic cap or telescopic adjustment, but 10.6L OTR (without optional expenses) for Vx is not VFM according to me. I would have gone for the V variant if only it had the magic seat or at least the 60-40 split.

Got a call from the dealer last week saying my car has been allotted. But I have put the decision on hold for now. Looks like the demand is not so high, mainly because of the pricing. Yes I can understand Honda's dilemma of pricing the Jazz too low compared to the city but then I am more interested in getting value for what I spend.

Last edited by thiyags22 : 23rd July 2015 at 11:35.
thiyags22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:34   #431
BHPian

Please note : My post might seem overtly critical of the new Jazz and may seem biased in favour of the 2nd Gen Jazz as I own a 2nd Gen Jazz but this is a honest first impression of the All New Jazz that I saw and felt.

I had been to Magnum Honda, Bangalore with my dad to simply check-out the Jazz on Sunday.

The exterior design is very appealing to the eye but when compared to my Jazz, the cost cutting in the new Jazz is evident.

The key hole being away from the door handle is a very sore point.

No Saint Gobain glass!

And in the lower ends, the wheel cap provided in place of the alloys look extremely down market and cheap! Can't believe Honda has gone down to such levels!

The interior plastics are no where near my Jazz's - Even the highest version of the new Jazz doesn't come close!

The AUX and USB cables stick out of the single glove box (double glove box missing) cheaply. Looks really ugly in reality

The front left bottle holder is missing. The right one is so small and oddly shaped that it is anyway impossible to put a cup/bottle in it.

Even the cubby holes provided have very ordinary plastics.

The indicator and wiper stalks are the saving grace : They feel very premium, better than even my Jazz's stalks.

The console of the new Jazz feels very cluttered. Though this a personal opinion and opinions differ from person to person, I will any day prefer the simple yet elegant console of my Jazz. The Orange hue is so pleasing to the eye. To each to his own though!

The rear view mirrors and quarter glasses are not up to 1st and 2nd Gen Jazz standards, if you know what I mean!

Coming to the display unit, the touch screen is just about OK, nothing to write home about. It is not very user friendly, especially after seeing what TATA offers in their Zest and Bolt cars, it felt as though the display touchscreen was added in the new Jazz almost as a lazy afterthought!

The music system output is pretty decent. Didn’t get to use the Navigation part of the touch screen, so can't comment about it.

The AC was just about OK. Very noisy. Maybe I'm just too used to my Jazz's silent performance on a lot of fronts!

Coming to the ride and handling : The steering feels too light for my liking though the response is good. The horn is pleasing to the ear and audible. The brakes are very good.

Happy to note that the refinement in the new Jazz is as good as mine! No sound whatsoever during idling!

But it didn’t give the premium i-VTEC feel while driving : I felt like I was driving the Brio (No offence to Brio owners!), if you know what I mean.

The gear throws were very good! Honda has improved upon this aspect in the new Jazz when compared to the 1st and 2nd gen Jazz.

After driving the new Jazz (my dad had come with me as well!) the moment both of us got into my Jazz we looked at each other - The wide smile on my dad's face said it all!

Just about everything in my car felt premium - The seat belt, the steering, the seating posture and quality, the interiors, the amazing i-VTEC Jazz engine, the AC knobs (believe it or not!) - you name it and it just felt great!

Recalled my cousin's words to my dad - That we have indeed got our Jazz for a steal, a big one at that! We already knew our car is a really good vehicle, but after yesterday's comparo, my dad told me - "We've just got a 10 lac rupee car at just 7.6 lac!" And mind you, my dad is hardly interested in automobiles!

You can tell for all practical purposes that he's a layman. So, for him to comment like that shows that Honda Jazz (1st and 2nd Gen) is in different league altogether when compared to the new Jazz.

The new JAzz I'm afraid has fallen prey to cater to the competition in the Indian Car Market.

Somehow for me the "Wow" factor is missing in the new Jazz!

P.S : Magnum Honda, Bangalore has only one Test vehicle - 5 speed manual i-VTEC :( Pathetic show by Honda in this regard! The SAs literally were fighting with each other to take their potential customers on TD first! A lot of people had come to the showroom yesterday to check out the new Jazz!

Warm Regards,
Rakesh

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Thanks!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd July 2015 at 21:44. Reason: Do NOT use acronyms for cars. Please read the rules before proceeding.
WAM-4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 20:44   #432
BHPian

Quote:
1. On the other hand the build is sturdy.
2. Fit and finish is good and not inferior to i20.
3. Best in class space management. i20 doesn't hold a candle in this department.
4. Styling wise it pales in front of big brother City , but good enough to stand beside i20.
5. The sitting position is good with a lot of travel so that you can easily find a good driving position.
6. The FE is surely better than i20.

As per me the little premium in price it demands over i20 is justified although i20 itself is priced higher
2. If u ever went to the showroom, and if u find many jazzes there, just check the bonnet gaps and rear 5th door gaps. You will see wide amount of variations in different cars u look on.

3. Fit and finish IS inferior to the i20. The previous jazz was an extreme example of the honda tag, but this one does not look and feel like a honda. The quality of plastics used are so cheap that, even maruthi altos feel kind of using jazz like plastic these days.

4. Styling is a personal opinion. I fell in love with the front of the car at the moment i saw it but the rear is an over work. Cant hold a candle in front of the elite.

5. Yup, but steering adjustment levels are a bit low. Also the thick a pillars block your view.

6. Yes, the only point where the jazz beats the i20 back and blue.

7. How is the refinement level when compared with i20?

8. How is the camera angle/quality/resolution when compared with i20?

9. How is the gear box?

10. How is the clutch feel?

11. Is it really that comfortable to ride?

Not abusing the new Jazz, but it cant hold a candle in front of the old jazz and even the new i20. Not bashing anyone but seeing many in this forum comparing it against the i20 and bashing the i20 thoroughly.

- a happy i20 owner who took a jazz td recently and felt relaxed about his choice of getting i20

Hyundai is Honda, but Honda is not Honda anymore

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd July 2015 at 21:40. Reason: Do NOT use acronyms for cars. ANJ is not a valid acronym and should not be used henceforth.
vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:04   #433

Went to Arya Honda and booked the V CVT. They said delivery will be in about 2-3 weeks or earlier.

Reading all the above comments about the new Jazz compared to the i20 and the old jazz but none of them had or has an automatic.

Its the best auto available right now in that size so one just does not have any choice but to go for it.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd July 2015 at 21:41. Reason: Do NOT use acronyms for cars. ANJ is not permitted.
kcecpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:20   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Not abusing the new Jazz, but it cant hold a candle in front of the old jazz and even the new i20. Not bashing anyone but seeing many in this forum comparing it against the i20 and bashing the i20 thoroughly.

- a happy i20 owner who took a jazz td recently and felt relaxed about his choice of getting i20

Hyundai is Honda, but Honda is not Honda anymore
Well I ride the national engine and I have nothing against either "H" badges.
The points mentioned above are absolutely my opinion. When I check a car, the first thing I look is driving dynamics and engine and then comes price to some extent.

The debate is why Jazz should command a 50k premium over i20? I am not giving any conclusion here. Both are over priced and have their share of strengths and weaknesses.

I will anyday pick Jazz over i20 in the same way I will also pick Punto over Jazz. Just that a car does 10k per month doesn't make it invincible. It still boils down to personal preferences. The argument is to provide an honest and unbiased review as best of one's ability so that it can help prospective buyers.

For me both are contenders for the best premium hatch.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd July 2015 at 21:42. Reason: editing the quoted post.
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:38   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM-4 View Post
My post might seem overtly critical of the new Jazz ...

The rear view mirrors and quarter glasses are not up to 1st and 2nd Gen Jazz standards, if you know what I mean!
Don't fret! You're not the only one being 'overtly critical' of the Jazz on this forum!

I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum who is wondering how you gauged the quality of the quarter glasses on the Jazz!! Please elaborate...

Also, the first gen Jazz wasn't available in India, was it??
Geo_Ipe is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks