Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2015, 14:56   #1771
BHPian

Re: 1.6 s-cross test drive review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepathy View Post
Need some clarity on this. Vento has a MacPherson strut, with a semi-independent trailing arm at the rear. S-Cross gets a torsion-beam unit. Any idea what is the difference and how does this affect the ride and handling?
Both cars have same setup , they are just using different language. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twist-...ear_suspension

Rear - The left and right wheel are connected with a twist beam - they are not independent of each other. Its a cost saving suspension found is almost all budget cars.

In indian conditions it may be OK since we hardly take high speed turns. The only downside is that if left wheel goes over a pot hole, the effect can be felt on the right side also. One advantage is that they have fewer parts so less expensive to maintain wear and tear.

Jetta has more advanced front/rear, so does Kizashi - Double wishbone fronts and fully independent multilink rears.

Last edited by aerohit : 21st September 2015 at 15:02.
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 14:57   #1772
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
My experience asking dealers has only led to confusion.
Very true. when I was after Michelin 205/60R16, since the dealer(Alloy wheels) had only 215/55R16 in stock advised to go in as the difference is negligible.

However i located another dealer having 205's and given him the contact.
Old 21st September 2015, 15:08   #1773
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much Aroraji. For sure I will
After reading the threads at TBHP, I was also under the same impression. But my dealer suggested that I should try out Pirelli's. Since I had been recommended by a friend to that shop who has had done many purchases at that shop, I decided to go with his suggestion.

Although he strongly recommended for the next size i.e. the P6 which was 215/60/16 (I think, might be incorrect also); but I decided not to upsize and stay with the stock size.

My Experience of the 1200 kms driven so far: On good roads, it feels as if you are on a cushion. Extremely smooth drive. The noise is still there a little bit on not so good roads, but I guess that would be there would almost all tyres.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd September 2015 at 07:56. Reason: Removed quoted post
Old 21st September 2015, 15:31   #1774
SDK
BHPian

Quote:

Anyway, here is my shortlist, in the order of choice,

1. Pirelli P4 Four Seasons - Offered at 7500/tyre
2. Goodyear Assurance - Offered at 6000/tyre
3. Michelin P3ST - Offered at 9800/tyre
Exactly the same choices that I have narrowed down to and here is the initial quote that I have got
1. Pirelli P4 Four Seasons - 6600/tyre
2. Goodyear Assurance - 5900/tyre
3. Michelin P3ST - 9600/tyre

Waiting for a confirmation on the delivery date from my RM.
Old 21st September 2015, 22:33   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
They are NOT the same!

The DDiS engine in the Swift/Ritz/DZire develops 190 Nm of torque (74 bhp of power) -> compared to a torque of 200 Nm (89 bhp of power) in the SX4, Ertiga/Ciaz/S-Cross 1.3

If Maruti had a separate nomenclature, probably it would have been called DDiS 190.
cpbopanna, in fact the engines are the same but the turbo unit and tuning are different. Ritz, Swift and Dzire use the FGT and SX4, Ciaz, Ertiga and S-Cross use the VGT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
When I asked the RM why there are no passenger airbags she said the car is quite comfortable and there is no requirement for more. I didn't bother explaining what airbags were for.
Oops Did she confuse airbags with bean bags?? All said, this is TOTALLY unacceptable from an sales person in automotive industry.
Old 21st September 2015, 23:03   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
When I asked the RM why there are no passenger airbags she said the car is quite comfortable and there is no requirement for more.I didn't bother explaining what airbags were for.

That's seriously out of this world!!! Must have left you with your mouth wide open. She seems to be a newbie in the car dealership.
Old 21st September 2015, 23:11   #1777
SDK
BHPian

Been following up regularly with my RM since the last 10 days. Every time he had the same answer that they are trying to get the car but he was non committal on the delivery date. All of a sudden I get a call from him today evening saying that he can deliver the car tomorrow. So I went to the showroom to check on the car. It was on display in the showroom and had a quick look around the car.

Based on the VIN, car is Aug-15 made. RM is saying that it was for someone else but due to delays in loan processing they are ready to allot it to me. The car has been on display in the showroom since atleast 1 week (I am pretty sure that I saw the same car when I went there to handover my SX4) though the showroom folks don't accept that. They are saying it has been put on display only yesterday.

As with any car that is on display, lot of finger prints everywhere. Fine scratches on the bonnet and rear bumper below the boot. Interiors look dirty and used. Was not able to check the odometer but does not look to be driven around.

RM is saying that it will be cleaned and polished before delivery. Scratches will not be visible. Though I am not fully convinced with the RM's answers but then if I do not take the delivery now, I will have to wait at least for 2 weeks to get the car. And since I have already sold off my SX4 managing without a car is turning out to be a rather costly affair.

Need your opinion on whether I should go ahead and take the delivery provided they are able to fix all the issues at their cost. Or should I simply say no and wait for the next lot to come in October.

What do you guys suggest ?

Last edited by ampere : 22nd September 2015 at 07:56. Reason: Formatted post
Old 21st September 2015, 23:45   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
I would say, wait for the next lot to arrive in October. If you are paying the full amount of a Brand New car from your hard-earned money, then you have 100% right to get a Brand New car only. You can spend your time deciding on the accessories to divert your attention from the D Day and it would come sooner (rather the wait will feel easier) if you don't think about it all the time.

If you do need that car (and I mean if really need that car), insist for some free accessories or discounts as it is a Display car. Although it is not driven as a Demo Car, I feel that at least 10 people would have wandered all around it and reached every nook and corner everyday. But remember that you'll always have the feeling (in your mind) that you bought a display car.

Do check the odometer reading, if it is more than acceptable level, please reject this car. And thank God that your waiting period is just weeks and not months!

EDIT - As an example, I had rejected the delivery of my Swift in Aug 2013 (because of minute scratches on the driver door's outer edge) and waited for a month to get THE perfect car. Why get a scratched (though repaired) car when paying for a clean car?

Last edited by vin11 : 21st September 2015 at 23:49.
vin11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 23:57   #1779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
What will be the output if the 1.6 is used with FGT? May be 100BHP? Will they bring it for Ertiga, Ciaz, Baleno and YBA?
1.6 with FGT would not represent that much of a significant advantage over the VGT equipped 1.3 to justify importing such a unit and transferring the premium over to the consumers. Simply wouldn't be premium enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepathy View Post
Need some clarity on this. Vento has a MacPherson strut, with a semi-independent trailing arm at the rear. S-Cross gets a torsion-beam unit. Any idea what is the difference and how does this affect the ride and handling?
They are similar but not the same. However, don't be fooled by the name it is nothing like an independant suspension setup at all. A semi-independant setup just involves trailing arms that are pivoted inboard at an incline. In theory they are supposed to slightly reduce under-steer. No matter semi-trailing arm or pure trailing arm suspensions, since they are rigidly attached to the wheels, inevitably more shock and noise would be transferred to the car body, especially under hard cornering or running on bumpy roads. Moreover, a lot of unsprung weight of the trailing arm leads to poorer ride quality in both cases.

That said, it is all about how a manufacturer tunes the setup. Remember that every enthusiast's favorite; the Ford Fiesta 1.6S, also uses a regular torsion beam setup
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 00:05   #1780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

That said, it is all about how a manufacturer tunes the setup. Remember that every enthusiast's favorite; the Ford Fiesta 1.6S, also uses a regular torsion beam setup
This. Have you read the article on motortrend usa where the previous gen Mustang with a solid axle suspension out handled the previous gen bmw m3.

Both cars had almost same power but the m3 had an advantage that it had a turbocharged engine versus a naturally aspirated engine of the Mustang.
Despite that, the Mustang was quicker and outhandled the BMW.
Old 22nd September 2015, 00:16   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
All that is fine, but at the end of the day the purpose of the car is meant to be a comfortable mode of transportation. If all you do is race other cars then it only adds to more fatigue and stress, not to mention your chances of being in "Accidents in India" thread increases (even if it is not your fault).

I am sure both 1.3 and 1.6 are comfortable cars, but I feel that 1.6 was giving me more fatigue in city conditions compared to 1.3, hence an Auto will be nice.
I'm sorry if you felt that way but I never meant street racing. In fact, I firmly stand against street racing. It's outrightly dangerous. If one needs the rush, better get on to the confines of a racetrack.

What I meant is that the 1.6 will definitely be more comfortable with higher speeds on an expressway, especially with its 6th gear ratio, even if that means 80-100 km/h range which I believe is the legal and rather sane speed limit in India. Moreover, it ultimately comes down to your preferences. Also, you're certainly right that the frequent push in the seat results in driver fatigue at the cost of adrenaline surge. The 1.3 or in-fact an engine with a linear torque curve (read: Hyundai's 1.6 CRDi or Honda's 1.5 iDTEC) would certainly be a better option in that case.

Cheers!
Old 22nd September 2015, 07:33   #1782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Don't touch it. It's probably not a loan delay but they tried the same trick on the poor chap and he refused. Wait for your car to come in the next lot. The display cars are usually soiled and handled pretty rough by one and all.
After all it's going to take away the new car experience for you and you will always have that demo/display car thought lingering on.
Old 22nd September 2015, 08:20   #1783
BANNED

Quote:
RM is saying that it will be cleaned and polished before delivery. Scratches will not be visible. Though I am not fully convinced with the RM's answers but then if I do not take the delivery now, I will have to wait at least for 2 weeks to get the car.
Steer clear off this particular car and tell the SA to get you a fresh S-Cross and not a display vehicle.

If the dealer isn't cooperate then escalate the matter and get it sorted.

You pay for a new car and NOT a display vehicle.
Old 22nd September 2015, 08:37   #1784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Does S Cross come only with ABS or ABS with EBD?
Interesting question. Usually for all Maruti cars, EBD is a part of the equipment when the car is fitted with ABS module unlike VW which doesn't offer EBD with ABS.

So, for cars like the Swift etc. one can see both ABS and EBD mentioned in the spec sheet. But I cannot see this for the S-Cross. It will be great if someone can confirm this.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:11   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
RM is saying that it will be cleaned and polished before delivery. Scratches will not be visible. Though I am not fully convinced with the RM's answers but then if I do not take the delivery now, I will have to wait at least for 2 weeks to get the car. And since I have already sold off my SX4 managing without a car is turning out to be a rather costly affair.

Need your opinion on whether I should go ahead and take the delivery provided they are able to fix all the issues at their cost. Or should I simply say no and wait for the next lot to come in October. What do you guys suggest ?
When we went to take delivery of our car (which came directly from the stockyard after an exterior wash) there was another S-Cross on display since two days, and was being prepared for delivery. I know that this is also a common practice at the Skoda showroom next door. Basically, they get the car to the showroom a day before the delivery for fitting the number plates, cleaning, polishing etc. Anything more than a day, I'd keep away.

In my case, the interior wasn't cleaned to the best of my satisfaction. I could see bits of fibers from yellow cloth all over the place post cleaning.

My RM has been calling me continuously to confirm when I would leave the car for a complete interior cleaning, but I'm thinking of getting 3M to do a basic interior cleaning and ask the NEXA guys to foot the bill!

In summary, If you are clear that the car was on display for more than a day, I'd strongly suggest you wait for the next lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks