Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2022, 14:52   #3031
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Hello all,

I finally reached the 50k milestone on my tank after approx 4 years today. Was very happy until the AMT warning light lit up and all my happiness was turned into apprehension.

So far this light had not popped up on my TUV. It is coming up on cold starts but does not go away after driving. TUV seems to lose power only sometimes. As I am currently out of town, looks like the tank needs to be taken to the service center once I am back in Pune. Any recommendations for me for the next 2 days until I am back and able to send the tank to the doctor for a safe return home ?

Thanks in advance !
Maddy3008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 15:39   #3032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy3008 View Post
Hello all,

I finally reached the 50k milestone on my tank after approx 4 years today. Was very happy until the AMT warning light lit up and all my happiness was turned into apprehension.

So far this light had not popped up on my TUV. It is coming up on cold starts but does not go away after driving. TUV seems to lose power only sometimes. As I am currently out of town, looks like the tank needs to be taken to the service center once I am back in Pune.
On a separate note....

I had visited Mahindra showroom in 2017 to have a look at the TUV300, I liked it's built quality. All that the showroom manager could offer me was tanked-up diesel at delivery. No discounts, No additional freebies. I didn't like the built quality of Scorpio, and Thar didn't cater to my need of carrying family members.
So I kept TUV300 as an option after Ecosport - The Ford sales guys were dull and like fused particles when I visited their showroom, so aborted the idea of Ford too.

Thereafter I went to Honda outlet and got big discounts and freebies so bought home the BRV Petrol V-MT, no issues till date, have done around 47000Kms by now. But my heart still longs for a torquey diesel motor, wish that Mahindra outlet had atleast given some discount, I would have had the TUV300 now.

Last edited by Sushil Pingua : 6th February 2022 at 15:41. Reason: Foolproofing
Old 7th February 2022, 15:03   #3033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
Thereafter I went to Honda outlet and got big discounts and freebies so bought home the BRV Petrol V-MT, no issues till date, have done around 47000Kms by now. But my heart still longs for a torquey diesel motor, wish that Mahindra outlet had atleast given some discount, I would have had the TUV300 now.
It could be an OT discussion here, but just out of curiosity, I would like to know how much was the TUV costing on-road that time and for what on-road price did you get the BRV? Actually both these cars cater to different needs. BRV is more sophisticated and suitable for good roads. With its monocoque construction, it can take a family of 6-7 from point-A to point-B in good comfort. The TUV3OO is a go anywhere vehicle, gobbles up bad roads. Being a body on frame construction it can take abuse without any complaints.

Quote:
Hello all,

So far this light had not popped up on my TUV. It is coming up on cold starts but does not go away after driving. TUV seems to lose power only sometimes. As I am currently out of town, looks like the tank needs to be taken to the service center once I am back in Pune. Any recommendations for me for the next 2 days until I am back and able to send the tank to the doctor for a safe return home ?

Thanks in advance !
Congratulations Maddy3008 on reaching the 50K milestone Regarding the warning light, as per the owner's manual there could be a potential malfunction in the engine system, contact
the Authorized Mahindra Dealer immediately.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th February 2022 at 16:15. Reason: Merged.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 16:27   #3034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
It could be an OT discussion here, but just out of curiosity, I would like to know how much was the TUV costing on-road that time and for what on-road price did you get the BRV? Actually both these cars cater to different needs. BRV is more sophisticated and suitable for good roads. With its monocoque construction, it can take a family of 6-7 from point-A to point-B in good comfort. The TUV3OO is a go anywhere vehicle, gobbles up bad roads. Being a body on frame construction it can take abuse without any complaints.
Brother you are absolutely right for your conscious possession.

Ex-showroom price of the TUV300 top model Vs the ex-showroom price of BRV after discounts in 2017 --> there was a difference of Rs.1 Lakh, BRV being on the higher side.
I do not remember the OTR prices.

Both these vehicles are superb in capabilities, on as well as off-road. TUV300 is tank on rubber-tyres. BRV certainly is shy of achieving the toughness possessed by the TUV300.

My BRV has taken me across the Himalayas to District Mustang in Nepal, which is also known as the Annapurna Conservation Area aka the Great Tibettan Plateau. I drove across this route ON the Kali Gandaki river via Jomsom & Muktinath in 2017.
I am grateful to the GC of 210 mm of the BRV for traversing across a route which literally had no roads. In the December of 2017 I had driven on the frozen river bed of Kali Gandaki.The OEM Michelin tyres too take credit for land-roving over this part of the Earth. It was mind boggling week of driving where I could cover maximum 75 Kms a day over the moon like terrain. An yes you were right in saying that the BRV is very comfortable - not an itch or sprain till date. After returning from the Tibettan plateau just the simple maintenance of replacing engine oil & filter and giving the car another coat of carnauba wax. No maintenance issues whatsoever after this trip.

Apart from that big trip I have taken my BRV prominently to Darjeeling, Sikkim and biannual drives to beaches of Digha, Mandarmani, Tajpur, Puri & Konark along with my 72 yrs old mother, my newborn daughter and wife. The best part of the BRV which I enjoy the most is when I fold down the last row of seats before a vacation drive and voila you have a big trunk space which can eat up three suitcases, 5 big bags, bucket, induction pressure cooker, grocery items, induction stove, mats, two prams all together I usually book furnished apartments via airbnb and use the utensils and grocery items to cook my own food. Carrying a newborn who has her own tantrums about food makes us avoid the hotel-food and we cook our own meals during vacation drives where-ever possible.

TUV300 is superior, I have not been able to enjoy its capabilities. I wish that Mahindra dealer had given some cash discounts and freebies.

Regards,
Sushil Pingua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 10:00   #3035
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations Maddy3008 on reaching the 50K milestone Regarding the warning light, as per the owner's manual there could be a potential malfunction in the engine system, contact
the Authorized Mahindra Dealer immediately.

Thanks for your wishes. So far the tank is holding up. Reaching back in Pune today evening. It will be in the Mahindra service center either tomorrow or day after both for its 50k service as well as this transmission failure warning.
Old 8th February 2022, 12:12   #3036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your wishes. So far the tank is holding up. Reaching back in Pune today evening. It will be in the Mahindra service center either tomorrow or day after both for its 50k service as well as this transmission failure warning.
Which service centre are you taking your car to? I had good experience with Sahyadri Motors, Wakad and I am planning to get my 60K servicing done from there. If you stay around that area then I would recommend taking your car there.
Old 17th February 2022, 16:28   #3037
BHPian

Quote:
Which service centre are you taking your car to? I had good experience with Sahyadri Motors, Wakad and I am planning to get my 60K servicing done from there. If you stay around that area then I would recommend taking your car there.
Thanks for sharing AutoIndian. I have the tank today at Unnati motors for the 50k sercice as I live closer to this service center. The AMT warning light issue was diagnosed as a weak battery by a local mechanic. I changed the battery which was 4 years old and the warning light has disappeared after that. However, there is ad hoc jerkiness during shift from 1 to 2 and sometimes from 2 to 3. It does not happen all the time, but its sudden and potentially dangerous in crowded areas. SA said they are looking into it. Also getting the brakes checked as they have started to make a screeching sound during half press (required when crawling below 10kmph) or when slowing down. Will keep you all posted on the progress.

Last edited by Maddy3008 : 17th February 2022 at 16:31. Reason: Typo
Old 21st February 2022, 22:36   #3038
Senior - BHPian

Today afternoon I went to SLD Tyres, Indiranagar for replacing my tyres. I have inquired with them in the morning about Ceat Czar H/T (same as my stock tyres) and after stock arrived they called me and I asked them the manufacturing date, which they confirmed that tyres are manufactured in this year. Stock Ceat Czar tyres never gave me a problem (touch wood), not even a single puncture in the last 6 years.

After reaching I checked and found three tyres with 0222 and one tyre with 0622 as manufacturing week. Another reason for visiting SLD Tyres is that they installed my TPMS sensors in October 2020. So, they took due care not to damage my internal TPMS sensors and also verified that TPMS sensors are secured properly.

I paid ₹6,150 per tyre including balancing and alignment. They bought back my old tyres @ ₹800 per tyre. So net expenditure for four tyres is ₹21,400.

My current ODO is 35,885 km. Tyres were replaced because those are more than 6 years old and I am planning for a long drive during end of March.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20220221_165006.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20220221_182736.jpg  

airbus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 12:10   #3039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Stock Ceat Czar tyres never gave me a problem (touch wood), not even a single puncture in the last 6 years.
Vow, that would be a sort of record, not a single puncture in last 6 years is simply great.

Quote:
After reaching I checked and found three tyres with 0222 and one tyre with 0622 as manufacturing week.
Not to worry much as they are very recently manufactured, first 3 tyres in Jan-22 second week and the one tyre in Feb-22 second week (they are just a month apart)

Quote:
I paid ₹6,150 per tyre including balancing and alignment. They bought back my old tyres @ ₹800 per tyre. So net expenditure for four tyres is ₹21,400.
The MRP of the Apollo Apterra's that I fitted was almost the same (@ 6,100/-). You got a very good price for your used tyres, perhaps due to the low mileage on them and there must have been decent tread left over those. So net net its Rs 5,350/- that you paid per tyre.

Quote:
My current ODO is 35,885 km. Tyres were replaced because those are more than 6 years old and I am planning for a long drive during end of March.
Very wise decision. My tyres too had decent tread on them, but they had past their prime & last 2 months my highway trips suddenly shot up, so didn't want to risk my highway runs on old tyres. Now you too can enjoy your highway trips with peace of mind.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 09:37   #3040
BHPian

Well, I let go of my Tank about a month back after about 5 years of trouble-free ownership. The summary would be:
  1. Absolute boss with respect to road presence.
  2. Frugal to maintain if you are lucky with good after-sales support. I would consider myself very lucky.
  3. Pretty good mileage for not-so-perfect 3-cylinder engine. On highways, I never got less than 15kmpl and I would NOT consider myself a sedate driver on highways.
  4. Fantastic AC. In my 5 years of ownership, I always used Eco AC. Maybe being in Bangalore helps, but then this city gets pretty hot during summers.
  5. Rugged and go-anywhere vehicle. The rear-wheel-drive helps a lot. Fortunately, I never faced the wheelspin issue. Maybe because there was always some 30Kg of load in the boot space.
  6. Except for one vacuum modulator change and a faulty coolant pipe (read leaking) replacement, nothing, absolutely nothing broke.
  7. Zero punctures in 5-years. Always, I mean, always maintained recommended tire pressure. Fortnightly check of pressure.
Things that could have been better:
  1. Definitely, a less bouncy ride would have been better.
  2. Better sound insulation
  3. Lighter steering for city speeds. I didn't find any issues on the highway.
  4. Better and more comfortable rear seats.
On to newer journeys and experiences.

Last edited by ambujlal : 8th March 2022 at 09:46.
ambujlal is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 11:17   #3041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Well, I let go of my Tank about a month back after about 5 years of trouble-free ownership.
Happy for you ambujlal that your Tank gave you 5 years of trouble-free ownership. Would you mind sharing the reason behind letting the tank go? Also would appreciate if you could share what resale value did it fetch & the odo reading when you sold it.

So what's your next steed? Have you already got a new car for yourself?
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 11:46   #3042
BHPian

Quote:
Happy for you ambujlal that your Tank gave you 5 years of trouble-free ownership. Would you mind sharing the reason behind letting the tank go? Also would appreciate if you could share what resale value did it fetch & the odo reading when you sold it.

So what's your next steed? Have you already got a new car for yourself?
Thanks, AutoIndian. I was kind of done with it and wanted a more comfortable ride and a more important requirement was an automatic (not AMTs of the world). Odo was something around 45k in which since lockdown it ran only about 2-3k. Effectively I did about 40k in 3 years. Sale price was roughly 73% of original value.

I got myself a Harrier xza+ dark edition variant and got it delivered a few days back.

Parting shots of the tank on the last day with us!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20220210_135332950.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20220210_135154477.jpg  

ambujlal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 11:52   #3043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Thanks, AutoIndian. I was kind of done with it and wanted a more comfortable ride and a more important requirement was an automatic (not AMTs of the world). Odo was something around 45k in which since lockdown it ran only about 2-3k. Effectively I did about 40k in 3 years. Sale price was roughly 73% of original value.
Vow, that is a very good resale value

Quote:
I got myself a Harrier xza+ dark edition variant and got it delivered a few days back.
Congratulations on your new car.

Quote:
Parting shots of the tank on the last day with us!
Your Tank looked pristine. Hope the new owner takes equally good care of it and the Tank serves him well for years to come.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 09:01   #3044
BHPian

Finally I let go my black TUV300 T8 Jan 2016 model last week. ODO at time of selling stood proudly at 108000 kms.
TUV gave me almost trouble free ownership experience in last 6 years apart from initial niggles. Its a definitely go anywhere vehicle with rear wheel drive & with MLD installed it gives an extra assurance. With TUV, I was able to complete my dream drive to Ladakh without a single problem.

Reason for selling-
From past 2 months engine check light used to show up suddenly once a while bit not faced any mechanical issue. Thought to get it checked from MASS, went there & after thorough inspection it was found that there were multiple leakage in the engine bay & which can be seen also if given a proper look with naked eye.
SA told that there is problem with turbocharger & due to it there are these leakages & other problems which I faced like missing while driving, engine check light, oil light etc.
AC was also not working & it was found that AC condenser has got leakage.
Total bill for the work mentioned was told approximately to be around 1lacs.
The most expensive part was turbocharger which was around 75k for the part only.

Got it back from workshop on that day after getting the quote. SA advised not to drive on higher RPM & no long trips. It can be used for city drive only.

It doesn't make any sense for me to spend such hefty amount on repair as I was already planning to get a new ride, with these problems the itch to sell TUV increased.

I researched about turbocharger repairing also but from multiple discussion it was concluded that getting it repaired is not advisable & it has to be replaced only. AC was however repaired from outside & it costed 1500 bucks only, it was necessary as whoever comes to buy will surely check the AC.

Was able to get 60% of the bill value through OLX, which I was quite happy with.

TUV is a tough vehicle for sure, what I liked about it-
Great road presence
Low maintenance & service cost
Powerful AC
Front 2 seats are comfortable
Go anywhere vehicle

If the turbocharger problem has not popped up it would still be my ride for sometime

Now I am looking for a diesel automatic SUV & can't decide one
dieselburner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 12:25   #3045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
Finally I let go my black TUV300 T8 Jan 2016 model last week. ODO at time of selling stood proudly at 108000 kms.
Getting to know about people letting go of their TUV's after a good experience is pleasant to read.

I am also considering changing my vehicle. My TUV 300 has served me extremely well for the last 6 years. Just seeking a word of advice from fellow TUV owners here. T8 ( Manual) - 2015 November model - 38k kms on the odometer, in very good condition, What is the resale value I can reasonably expect.

would appreciate some inputs - A ball park figure to go by would really help me plan financially for the replacement .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks