Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2024, 13:40   #3046
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Issue with Tiago BCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icubyx View Post
I wanted to know if a BCM really needs to be replaced or it can be repaired, or any other issues can affect BCM functioning.
Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordygt500 View Post
You can also get used BCM in kurla market for cheap, they also give guarantee for 1 or 6 months but that m.ay turn into lot of trouble and headache.
So it is just safe to buy new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavgpai View Post
Ask your dealer if he can show you that it is ONLY an issue with the BCM ECU by connecting a good one to your car, before making the purchase.
If you want a genuine BCM, but want to save some bucks while at it (I think the BCM won't be exactly cheap) - the safest way will be to build a good working relationship with your SA / service center, talk to them clearly, and ask for a BCM from a similar totaled car in their backyard. Each ASC has that set of skeletons in their closet . They always use them for cannibalizing for parts. Ask for one from such a car, with similar generation / year. They can match the specifications using chassis numbers. And then - bargain for the price. It will be a genuine BCM then, with no repair work, but cheaper.

Don't "repair" a BCM, better to replace it IMHO.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 15:03   #3047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Each ASC has that set of skeletons in their closet . They always use them for cannibalizing for parts.
I got my right side ORVM that got damaged colliding with an oncoming vehicle's mirror, technically for free from my SA (I will refrain from naming the service center) But of course for a very generous "thank you" in exchange. Guess what, the other car was the same colour too.
madhavgpai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 13:52   #3048

One Year with ‘Bajrangi’, my Tata Tiago

This is my first post on TeamBHP.

November 2022 – I completed 38 years of existence on Nov 10th, 2022 and decided to finally join a driving school to learn to drive a car. Well, there is never any age to learn something new, isn’t it?

Anyway, I learnt to drive within 15 days and started practising in my friend’s Hyundai i10 Grand. During the learning phase, I was good with steering controls but struggled with clutch and gear controls. I didn’t own a car at that time but now that I have learnt to drive, I wanted to own one and started my hunt to buy a car.

Being a first-time car driver, I wanted to go for a hatchback as it would be easier for me to get a hold in the city and on the highway as well.

Also, I was thinking of going for a second-hand car in good condition.

My options were,

• Maruti Suzuki Swift
• Maruti Suzuki Alto K10
• Hyundai i10 Grand
• Tata Tiago
• Toyota Etios Liva
• Ford Figo
• Ford Ecosport (Although not a hatchback)
• Honda Brio
• Nissan Micra

However, I wanted a car that was good to drive and also scored high on safety. I struck Maruti and Hyundai from the list owing to their low safety ratings. That left me with Tata, Toyota and Ford which was good in terms of performance and safety.

I started scouring for 2nd hand cars in marketplaces such as Spinny, Cars24, Mahindra First Choice etc. There were a lot of options to choose from with varying price points as well. However, I decided to buy a car that wasn’t too old i.e. between 2018-2022. In the meanwhile, I also took suggestions from friends and family who had different points of view. Most of them said it is better to go for a first-hand one while the rest mentioned that second-hand cars were better considering that I am a fairly new driver.

After days of searching and thinking, I eventually decided to go for a new one. The problem was that Ford had left India and Toyota wasn’t selling Etios Liva anymore. Honda Brio and Nissan Micra were too small for me (I am 6 feet 1) and were no longer in production.

That left me with Tata Tiago.

Now the question arose of whether to go for a manual or an automatic. I preferred an automatic considering my initial struggles with clutch and gear and also it is easier to drive in city traffic.

Therefore, I did intense research, reading up on AMT technology and watching user reviews on YouTube. The most common complaint on Tata Tiago AMT was engine lag when the car auto-shifted from the 1st gear to the 2nd. Also, there were a lot of user complaints about the AMT gearbox giving trouble after 2-3 years of usage with some users having to replace the gearbox unit entirely which cost them almost a lac.

After seeing all this, I changed my mind and decided to go for a Tata Tiago manual transmission. Apart from giving good mileage as compared to an AMT, manual transmission is fun to drive except in city traffic. I had fixed a budget of Rs. 8 lacs and didn’t want to go beyond that. Anything lesser than that was a bonus.

I visited Key Motorss, Kanakapura Road on Dec 1st week, which was near my house along with my brother and wife. We checked out the car and took a test drive. The engine response and suspension felt good and the car was comfortable too. It is a peppy car to drive and sneaks through the traffic when compared to bigger cars/SUVs.

On Dec 19th, 2022, I visited the showroom and booked a red colour, Tata Tiago XT Rhythm. The XT Rhythm variant has all the basic features along with a rear camera, a 17 cm Harman infotainment touchscreen system, 4 speakers and 4 tweeters. I got a discount of Rs. 10000 along with a corporate discount of Rs. 2500. I also took the accessories pack worth Rs. 11,000 that included the seat covers, floor mats, bumper protector, mud flaps, perfume, and a waste bin.

I made a point of asking for updates from the dealership once or twice a week as I had read complaints about Tata dealership’s inefficiencies and didn’t want to take any chances. Considering my ‘enthusiasm’ they also made a point of updating me every time a milestone was achieved, although it was me calling them every time for every single doubt.

Eventually, my vehicle arrived and I went for a PDA at their yard on Mysore Road. I was thrilled to see my car for the first time and did a thorough PDA. I had gone through the PDA checklist article on TeamBHP and knew what and how to exactly check. The car was fine and we didn’t come across any issues.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_2353.jpg

PDA at the Yard

On Feb 1st, 2023, I received my car at their dealership with Subhash (SA) assisting me throughout the process from order to delivery.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_2387.jpg
At Key Motorss, Kanakapura Road

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_2389.jpg
Me and my brother with Bajrangi

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_2399.jpg
Receiving the keys from Subhash

After the documentation and cake-cutting ceremony, I took the car home. Being a newbie, I was nervous about driving it, so asked my brother who had accompanied me to drive it home. My parents were thrilled to see it and we took photos alongside the car.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_2418.jpg
My happy parents with my nephew who is wondering what's happening

In the evening, I drove it for the first time when I had to go to pick up my wife. My brother accompanied me just to see if I was driving correctly. I was nervous initially but then mustered courage as I kept driving. After picking her up, we went to a temple nearby to perform the car’s puja and returned home. I christened it ‘Bajrangi’ after Lord Hanuman.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_2422.jpg
With my wife at the temple

1 year of driving Tata Tiago

As of 1st Feb 2024 i.e. exactly a year after taking delivery of the car, it had clocked almost 6900 km, with 80% of it being driven within the city. Outstation trips have mostly been to Mysore and Coorg. I want to take it to farther places such as Goa, Mangalore, Pondi etc.

During the running-in period, I used to experience a slight lag in its pickup and when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. With time, the lag decreased and was almost nonexistent after the 3rd service.

Pros
  • Peppy and powerful 1200 cc, 3-cylinder petrol engine
  • Smooth clutch as compared to Nexon (A blessing for the left leg)
  • Gear shifting is smooth and the travel is less
  • Small yet spacious for a tall man like me
  • Steering is the lightest in its segment
  • Stable and no body rolls on highways
  • Sticks to the ground at high speeds
  • Handling is excellent
  • Mileage is good both in the city and highway
  • o Maximum mileage observed on highways = 26 km/ltr
  • o Maximum mileage observed in the city = 14 km/ltr
  • o Latest tank-to-tank mileage = 15.29 km/ltr (Mostly been driven in the city. Increases when taken on the highways)
  • The car has become smoother after 3rd service

Cons
  • Interior plastic feels less premium than other brands
  • Body panel gaps are quite big compared to other brands
  • Some interior fittings feel clumsy and not properly fitted in the factory

Tata Service Feedback

Have undertaken 3 free services with them at TASS (Key Motorss, Konanakunte) and the experience was good. Their service personnel are responsive and listen to your issues before recommending satisfactory solutions. Better to book your service slots well in advance and be there at 8:30 am. The only downside is their service centres are small, and parking is inadequate. They need to take larger spaces and build bigger body shops and parking spaces.

Cost of,

1st service – Rs. 177
2nd service – Rs. 177
3rd service – Rs. 4406 (for consumables that included oil change)

Accidents/Mishaps

This was more of an own damage rather than an externally inflicted accident. On my way to Coorg, I had stopped at Mysore for lunch and had parked the car in the basement. To come back to the main road, there was a steep climb that I was unable to manoeuvre and ended up bashing the rear of the car into a pole behind me.

The rear door and bumper suffered damage and had to be replaced. Lots of lessons were learnt from that incident.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_4632.jpg

The repair process at TASS was smooth and the insurance covered all of it, although I lost the no-claim bonus when I renewed the insurance in Jan 2024. It took a total of 3 weeks for the car to come back from the repairs, and I had to constantly follow up with them to speed up the work and give me the car on time.

Conclusion

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_2591.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with my Tata Tiago. It is a budget-friendly, sturdy and performance-oriented vehicle for the city and the highway. It’s just been a year of owning and driving it and I intend to keep it for many years to come. Even if I go for a bigger vehicle, I will continue to keep it.

Cheers to everyone!
raovarunn is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 11th February 2024, 00:27   #3049

Re: One Year with ‘Bajrangi’, my Tata Tiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by raovarunn View Post

After seeing all this, I changed my mind and decided to go for a Tata Tiago manual transmission.
Looks like there is a mistake in the title in the home page for this post. I mentions "AMT".

Thank you.
syed_cdp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 09:36   #3050

Dear all who advised me on my question - I have gone for the BCM replacement as advised and now it works well. Thank you for your excellent and timely advice. Really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If you want a genuine BCM, but want to save some bucks while at it (I think the BCM won't be exactly cheap) - the safest way will be to build a good working relationship with your SA / service center, talk to them clearly, and ask for a BCM from a similar totaled car in their backyard. Each ASC has that set of skeletons in their closet . They always use them for cannibalizing for parts. Ask for one from such a car, with similar generation / year. They can match the specifications using chassis numbers. And then - bargain for the price. It will be a genuine BCM then, with no repair work, but cheaper.

Don't "repair" a BCM, better to replace it IMHO.
icubyx is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 02:32   #3051
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Where can I source tiago OE wheel covers?

My friend's car is missing one. TASC doesn't have one in stock. Not sure if the service advisor is right, but he says each piece costs 2.4k. It's not listed in boodmo. Nearby accessories shop doesn't have it. Not sure if it's the exact same. Where should I check in Chennai? Amazon ones do not have tata logo at the center.

For reference, it's an XTA variant. [ATTACH=IMG_6592.jpeg]tiago wheel cover[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_6592.jpeg  

Last edited by Benoit : 9th March 2024 at 02:43.
Old 9th March 2024, 09:15   #3052
Senior - BHPian

Official but pricey
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-whee...assy-39704024/

If you're outraged over price, join the club
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...wheel-cap.html (Tata's "DurAlloy Wheel" is actually a steel rim with a plastic wheel cap!)

Cheap, generic option
https://www.flipkart.com/kyzo-car-wh...8965229628_gmc

Set of 4
Old 19th March 2024, 13:28   #3053
BHPian

Hello,
I have 2018 Tiago XZA. Recently, I noticed that when I lock my car from remote key, all doors are locked except for the rear left door (diagonal to driver). I have to manually press the knob down and lock it. If I unlock the car, all 4 doors unlock (as expected). Not sure what could be the reason. This issue has started after I serviced the car.
Any suggestions on how to fix this at home as there is a long queue at service center for everything.
Thanks.
Old 24th March 2024, 09:56   #3054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishrap View Post
Hello,
I have 2018 Tiago XZA. Recently, I noticed that when I lock my car from remote key, all doors are locked except for the rear left door (diagonal to driver). I have to manually press the knob down and lock it. If I unlock the car, all 4 doors unlock (as expected). Not sure what could be the reason. This issue has started after I serviced the car.
Any suggestions on how to fix this at home as there is a long queue at service center for everything.
Thanks.
Check battery mostly it is reaching end of life. Mine stock Amaron lasted just over 2yrs. Similar issue and one day the car was not cranking and showed engine locked message on the console.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 22:10   #3055
BHPian

Sharing a brief review of the Tata Tiago petrol manual version.

I have passively been on the lookout for a second car for over a year. The need was not severe or urgent and I have been able to manage without a second car. A query was also raised and discussed on this very forum Link (Pre-worshipped car of the week : The cheap beater car)

Background of how I got hold of the Tiago:

Over the last two months, I have been using my sisters’ Tata Tiago since she moved on to a Kia Sonet Petrol DCT. The Tiago is a 2016 petrol XZ (manual) model.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-tiago1.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-tiago2.jpg

Pros:
  1. Unlike what the Team-bhp review says, the Tiago engine is not mediocre, rather its fairly decent. Not racing material, but decent. I enjoy the mid range. In the second and third gear, it pulls and pulls. Most days, I am able to over-take traffic without breaking a sweat. The low range is not its strongest point. Sometimes when starting from a complete stop, the Tiago is not quick on its feet for a few seconds, maybe even in the low revs in second gear, but after that its pretty quick
  2. The solid build is comparable to my Jeep
  3. The suspension is comparable to my Jeep (ok, maybe not comparable, but much better than the Sonet that my sister got or the second gen Creta my dad has)
  4. Really good Harman Kardon music system (but sometimes the Bluetooth connectivity is not great)
  5. The small size lets me take the car anywhere in the city (have found parking spots in the narrowest of the places)

Cons:
  1. NVH is not great
  2. Driver seat does not go far enough back for my perfect driving position. Just a little bit more would have been great. For reference, I am 5'8
  3. Headlights are not powerful (fortunately I need to drive the car within city limits and generally the roads are well lit)
  4. When starting the car during winters, the car needs a little time to warm up before I can drive it smoothly. If I don’t give it time to warm up, it jerks a lot making it an unpleasant experience in the first few minutes of the drive
  5. While I have personally not experienced it, my sister & dad who had been using the car over the past 7-8 years suggest that servicing will not be painless (but lets see) & it will only get worse as the car ages. So far I have not faced any issues.

Overall I am pretty happy with the car.

Plan going forward:
Lately my wife and I have gotten too used to driving an automatic, however after a few minutes of driving the Tiago when I first took the car, I was comfortable with the manual again.
My wife is not keen to resume driving a manual & not too excited about the Tiago. Besides, I like driving a car with a higher seating as well (spoilt after the Compass). We are still passively on the lookout of alternatives and have driven petrol automatic version of cars such as Kiger, Jimny, XUV400 (in absence of the XUV300). Preference is for automatic petrol cars with good suspension (maybe SUVish car), but until we decide on which new car (beater car), I will hang on to the Tiago.
Since I have borrowed the car from my sister and not bought it, I need to figure out next steps in a few months at least, but until then, I'll enjoy driving this peppy car.

Last edited by aayusht : 10th April 2024 at 22:38.
aayusht is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 17:27   #3056

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelNut View Post
Forgot to mention the car had a stuck driver seatbelt already!
I recently purchased a second hand Tiago 2017 model. I faced the driver seatbelt stuck issue after few months of usage. The car as such is 60K km driven. Any DIY solution for this issue?
Old 12th April 2024, 21:17   #3057
Senior - BHPian

Looking to replace the rims on my 2019 Tiago NRG to suitable alloys. These are 14 inch rims. Question I have can we put Altroz 15 inch alloys on Tiago? Of course new tyres are needed but if the Altroz alloys fit well I don't have to hunt for other 15 inch alloys anywhere. Car is completing 5 years in May and has clocked 30K only, perhaps time to makeover some parts of it.
Old 13th April 2024, 07:27   #3058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Looking to replace the rims on my 2019 Tiago NRG to suitable alloys. These are 14 inch rims. Question I have can we put Altroz 15 inch alloys on Tiago? Of course new tyres are needed but if the Altroz alloys fit well I don't have to hunt for other 15 inch alloys anywhere. Car is completing 5 years in May and has clocked 30K only, perhaps time to makeover some parts of it.
Altroz comes with 16 inch alloys which are too big for Tiago. You can try tigor OE 15 inch alloys but that needs a tyre upgrade as well.

I have put uno minda alloys ( same 14 inch) on the original tyres in my tigor ev. Looks good with the right amount of outside protrusion. You can upsize to 185 section also if needed.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...review-46.html (Tata Tiago Electric Review)
Nanolover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 17:23   #3059

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
The Altroz rims might be a tad too big for the Tiago. I suggest you can go for the OEM 15 inchers of the XZ+ variant Tiago.
XLR8.443 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 17:44   #3060
Senior - BHPian

Time for yearly service of my Tiago NRG. Have an appointment tomorrow at KHT motors, Mahadevpura. Fingers crossed.
I have some issues introduced by service center themselves and some due to car age. I am "hoping" to get both resolved without introduction of new one based on my previous experience with TATA service.
Will post update once U get the car back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks