Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2023, 14:13   #3001
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Hello everybody!

A close relative of mine has been facing some major issues with her 2022 Tiago XZ+ Petrol MT.

It all kicked off when she noticed a pungent odor emanating from somewhere within the car. This happened just after the car had it's 8k kms service. The guys from the service center said they would adjust some AC knobs and fix it. My relative decided not to go the SC as she felt the smell had decreased by a considerable amount and was barely noticeable.

All was fine for a few months until she called me in a panic stating that the car would not turn off even after removing the key. She said that after turning the key multiple times, the car eventually turned off. I wasn't there during the time of this incident and was informed after the car had turned off so I can't rule out the possibility of it just being a particularly loud fan.

This incident happened at a rather inconvenient time though as she was going to be out of station for around 5 days and was supposed to be driven to the airport by her driver in the Tiago (She drives it herself 95% of the time). The day of the flight, she had decided to take her husband's Baleno. To get the Baleno out of the garage, she had to reverse the Tiago first. Starting the Tiago up, she noticed that the Battery light and Check engine light were on; apart from this though, the car functioned as normal. No weird smells, no weird noises. After she returned, she drove the car for around 4 days without any issues, the battery light remained on and the check engine light turned on intermittently. Yesterday the check engine light made a return.

I advised her to retire the car for the time being until she got it checked by the guys at the SC but, her husband's Baleno was involved in a crash with a learner driver who erratically stopped once the light turned red in the middle of an intersection; this meant that she had to drive the Tiago all the way to airport to drop off her husband. During the drive, both complained that the AC had stopped working and was blowing warm air regardless of the temperature. Not sure if the CEL was on during this time but the battery light definitely was. This leads me to believe that the Serpentine belt which spins both the AC compressor and the alternator has conked off.

Not sure if my hypothesis is correct as a failure of the serpentine belt would also disable the power steering. Car will be given to the SC tomorrow.

Do any of you guys know what could cause these problems?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th August 2023 at 13:05. Reason: spacing and formatting for improved readability
Old 17th July 2023, 13:11   #3002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremePocca View Post
Car will be given to the SC tomorrow. Do any of you guys know what could cause these problems?
Ask them to do a visual check on the alternator / aux belt besides the engine. The symptoms make me think that rats (or something else) might have damaged the belts and they have blown off. That is resulting in battery not getting charged back, and AC compressor not getting activated. Just my 2 cents.

If the battery light remains ON when engine is running - please advise her not to use the car. Its draining battery - especially in start-up, and its not getting charged back. One fine day - the car will simply not start, and if its anywhere other than at home, it will be quite a headache.

Last edited by Reinhard : 17th July 2023 at 13:14.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 08:46   #3003
BHPian

Our Tiago XZA completed its first major milestone in terms of kms a week ago.

Also turned 5 years old yesterday
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_5842.jpeg

25k kms
Tata Tiago : Official Review-3ec8649f5f964af79f8ee21dc3a23893.jpeg

It has proven itself as a fairly reliable vehicle with average running cost. Suspension and other assorted things are aging well.

My father got the tires changed a couple of months back and it’s smooth sailing once again.

Opted for Yokohama
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_5841.jpeg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_5843.jpeg
abhi_tjet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 18:34   #3004

I am facing this issue with my Tiago nrga 2022. It makes blast like noise when gear shifts up. Most probably it's coming from exhaust. Once I was able to recreate the issue with service centre mechanic but he couldn't figure out. I went to another service centre and this time I am unable to recreate the issue. Still service centre replaced air filter assembly assuming that to be causing the issue. Unfortunately it still didn't resolve the issue. Has anyone else faced this issue and help with possible resolution?
Thanks,
Biswaranjan
Old 2nd August 2023, 12:25   #3005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremePocca View Post
A close relative of mine has been facing some major issues with her 2022 Tiago XZ+ Petrol MT.
Hey - was this resolved? What was the cause? Just curious to know (and keep it in mind for any future experience ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs123 View Post
I am facing this issue with my Tiago nrga 2022. It makes blast like noise when gear shifts up. Most probably it's coming from exhaust. Once I was able to recreate the issue with service centre mechanic but he couldn't figure out. I went to another service centre and this time I am unable to recreate the issue. Still service centre replaced air filter assembly assuming that to be causing the issue. Unfortunately it still didn't resolve the issue.
Hi - what you've reported seems to align with a typical petrol engine backfire. How much has your car run? Its a bit surprising to see a backfire like situation in an MPFI ECU controlled car engine.

Nevertheless - I suggest you get the ignition coil/sprk-plugs checked first. It seems un-burnt fuel is entering your exhaust manifold & then igniting. Ask them to flash the ECU to the latest version of the software as well while at it. This can be a good starting point. Otherwise there are quite a few other things that need to be checked as well. I hope there are no leaks of fluids / small oil leaks around any connections of the engine plumbing?

Another thing to check if the issue doesn't get resolved by fixing the ignition coils, would be to check the injectors. By chance have you noticed any drop in fuel efficiency as well?

Last edited by Reinhard : 2nd August 2023 at 12:26.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 17:27   #3006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hey - was this resolved? What was the cause? Just curious to know (and keep it in mind for any future experience ).
So far, the experience has not been the greatest. My relative handed over the car to the service center. First time, they claimed that the battery needed to be topped up. They handed the car back and after a few minutes of driving, the check engine and battery light made it's return.

She decided to drive the car for a few more weeks. Over the course of those weeks both the battery light and CEL disappeared and reappeared intermittently. She decided to get the car checked again. The guys at the SC cleared some codes (one had something to do with the speedometer and the other two had no description). The guy clearing the codes turned the car on after clearing them and no lights returned. Curiously though, the usual suspects returned after we left the service center. The AC stopped working as well. We stopped the car by the side of the road and turned it off. Everything turned off apart from the infotainment system. This issue went after turning the car back on though. The AC started working again but the lights remained. The service deduced that this was a battery issue and that if faced problems again, we would need to replace the battery.

Armed with this new advice, my aunt made her way to the Amaron battery center the SA referred to. The folk at the battery center were extremely impolite and firmly claimed that the problem was with the car. Nevertheless, we handed over our battery to check and given a "service" battery. So far its been around a week and the battery center has not updated us about the progress with the battery. Car seems to be running perfectly on their "service" battery. Don't really know what to say to be honest. The car turned a year old a few days ago and hit 10k around that same time. A battery should not go bad in just a year. The SC guys said nothing else is wrong with the car other than the battery and the battery center said the car is to blame. Tata might get everything else right but if they make mistakes like this in the after sales service, they shoot themselves in the foot.
Old 16th August 2023, 19:05   #3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Hi - what you've reported seems to align with a typical petrol engine backfire. How much has your car run? Its a bit surprising to see a backfire like situation in an MPFI ECU controlled car engine.

Nevertheless - I suggest you get the ignition coil/sprk-plugs checked first. It seems un-burnt fuel is entering your exhaust manifold & then igniting. Ask them to flash the ECU to the latest version of the software as well while at it. This can be a good starting point. Otherwise there are quite a few other things that need to be checked as well. I hope there are no leaks of fluids / small oil leaks around any connections of the engine plumbing?

Another thing to check if the issue doesn't get resolved by fixing the ignition coils, would be to check the injectors. By chance have you noticed any drop in fuel efficiency as well?
Hey, thanks for your reply and all the pointers. My car has run around 6500 km. The issue is happening for last 8 months atleast. In last 15 days service center has replaced air filter assembly body and spark plugs. They could not do ECU flash due to internet availability, coming Saturday ECU flash will be done . Hopefully it will resolve the issue. Fingers crossed. Will point them to check ignition coil and injectors as well.

Yes, my fuel efficiency is very low from day 1 . Just 8 kmpl in Mumbai City traffic. Service centres are in denial mode regarding fuel efficiency. For comparison - I used to get 13 odd with my BS 4 maruti ritz.

Thanks,
Biswaranjan

Last edited by graaja : 16th August 2023 at 19:23. Reason: Minor typo: kmph -> kmpl
bugs123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 08:15   #3008
BHPian

Quote:
I am facing this issue with my Tiago nrga 2022. It makes blast like noise when gear shifts up. Most probably it's coming from exhaust
Does this happen in cold start when accelerator is pressed,i.e., when accelerating on low rpm? Or does is happen intermittently? Any change in fuel station recently?
Old 25th August 2023, 14:10   #3009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am facing this issue with my Tiago nrga 2022. It makes blast like noise when gear shifts up. Most probably it's coming from exhaust. Once I was able to recreate the issue with service centre mechanic but he couldn't figure out. I went to another service centre and this time I am unable to recreate the issue. Still service centre replaced air filter assembly assuming that to be causing the issue. Unfortunately it still didn't resolve the issue. Has anyone else faced this issue and help with possible resolution?
Thanks,
Biswaranjan
I learnt one thing with Tiago (atleat) that the service folks are not well versed with real time issues. Touch wood but my 2019 Tiago NRG has not given any issue in last 4.5 years after 25K but was checking on an issue in my friend's Tiago. He is facing the known old issue of fuel pump getting hot after continuous long drive and car stalls due to stopped fuel supply. This issue is/was being discussed for years here but the service folks appeared as if they heard for the first time. That is my concern on genuine issues that may not be so frequent and tough to reproduce. People unaware of well known issues may never be able to diagnose and resolve unique and complex issues.

It seems to me that the service centers are good only for oil change, filter change and at most minor body repair works... quite unfortunate

You will be lucky if you need to visit the service center only for regular service for the life cycle of Tiago with you and nothing major.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th August 2023 at 13:05. Reason: minor spacing for readability
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 11:47   #3010

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P Daniel View Post
Does this happen in cold start when accelerator is pressed,i.e., when accelerating on low rpm? Or does is happen intermittently? Any change in fuel station recently?
Hi, yes my observation is when vehicle is at low rpm and I have to pick up speed it does misfire, but not in all instances. Also at the time of misfire car seems to be losing power for a second. It happens every single day. At least for last 8 months i am facing this issue. Regarding fuel station - i have been filling from 4 / 5 different stations, no fixed regular station as such. I just left my car at service centre today. They are going to do an ECU flash. Let's see if that works
Old 26th August 2023, 11:59   #3011
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, yes my observation is when vehicle is at low rpm and I have to pick up speed it does misfire, but not in all instances. Also at the time of misfire car seems to be losing power for a second.
When I used to work at the SVC, we had few cases such as these. We would do basic troubleshooting like fuel check, spark plugs, ECU flash, etc. Mostly the issue would be resolved. 2 vehicles had these issues persisting even after these steps. The resolution turned out to be to change the engine head. Turns out, few of them had issues with the engine head that caused misfires in cold starts when engine is revved at low rpms. Hopefully, the ECU flash does the trick. Also, if the spark plugs are more than 20k kms old, try changing them.
John P Daniel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 00:47   #3012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I learnt one thing with Tiago (atleat) that the service folks are not well versed with real time issues. Touch wood but my 2019 Tiago NRG has not given any issue in last 4.5 years after 25K but was checking on an issue in my friend's Tiago. He is facing the known old issue of fuel pump getting hot after continuous long drive and car stalls due to stopped fuel supply. This issue is/was being discussed for years here but the service folks appeared as if they heard for the first time. That is my concern on genuine issues that may not be so frequent and tough to reproduce. People unaware of well known issues may never be able to diagnose and resolve unique and complex issues.
It seems to me that the service centers are good only for oil change, filter change and at most minor body repair works... quite unfortunate
You will be lucky if you need to visit the service center only for regular service for the life cycle of Tiago with you and nothing major.
Agreed. For complex issues they go in denial mode and even try to find fault in car owner's driving skills! One of the service advisor tells me that I should not drive an amt cars in bumper to bumper traffic!! What can I say!!

Today SVC was supposed to flash ECU of my car. They didn't/cudn't do it due to internet unavailability! They gave the same reason 15 days back also. Had to patch SVC GM with tata motors CCM on a conf call. After a decent amount of rant from the CCM, SVC now seems to be sounding bit serious about my issues. Hopefully they will do it on Monday as per their fresh promise! Really disappointed with the product as well as service.
bugs123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 07:20   #3013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. For complex issues they go in denial mode and even try to find fault in car owner's driving skills! One of the service advisor tells me that I should not drive an amt cars in bumper to bumper traffic!! What can I say!!

Today SVC was supposed to flash ECU of my car. They didn't/cudn't do it due to internet unavailability! They gave the same reason 15 days back also. Had to patch SVC GM with tata motors CCM on a conf call. After a decent amount of rant from the CCM, SVC now seems to be sounding bit serious about my issues. Hopefully they will do it on Monday as per their fresh promise! Really disappointed with the product as well as service.
What a shame that senior folks need to be involved in something that seems pretty straightforward in other car service centers. Flashing ECU is very common and it was done a couple of times on my old Santro.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that this Tiago might be my first and last Tata car. I am not yet faced with any serious issues but what if I do? Not happy with service unfortunately. There is no standard protocol and they do only what is asked to do by a customer, amazing, isn't it?

Manufacturing excellent cars and excellent maintenance/service must go hand in hand.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th August 2023 at 13:05. Reason: minor spacing for improved readability
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 17:21   #3014

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P Daniel View Post
When I used to work at the SVC, we had few cases such as these. We would do basic troubleshooting like fuel check, spark plugs, ECU flash, etc. Mostly the issue would be resolved. 2 vehicles had these issues persisting even after these steps. The resolution turned out to be to change the engine head. Turns out, few of them had issues with the engine head that caused misfires in cold starts when engine is revved at low rpms. Hopefully, the ECU flash does the trick. Also, if the spark plugs are more than 20k kms old, try changing them.
ECU flashing could not be done today as well. SVC is getting errors while doing so. Now Tata motors CCM says it's an issue at their server and they are working on it. By September 25th program will be available for flashing. Till then I just need to continue to wait
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img20230829wa0010.jpg  

Last edited by bugs123 : 29th August 2023 at 17:29.
Old 30th August 2023, 12:00   #3015

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Finally fit the underhood insulation on my Tiago XZA. This was one of the few items that Tata had taken off in June '18. While the diesel Tiago still got it, the petrol variant didn't.

A couple of members mentioned that they felt a noticeable difference in engine noise filtering into the cabin and that was enough for me to get one. I honestly got it for the heck of it, not because I felt any drastic need.

I checked with two dealers (Concorde and Balaji) in Pune and both did not stock the insulation. Further, the Tata Spares outlet did not have it, and did not even know such a spare exists. The couple of calls he made (to his distributors perhaps) mentioned Tata does not supply this part.

While browsing Boodmo, I found this part and decided I'd DIY. Cross-checked the part no. with RavenAvi's post earlier and ordered.

Now the tricky part: the insulation hood requires clips to attach it to the hood. Nowhere did it say how many would be required. I had a quick chat with a Boodmo rep but he didn't know either.

So, I decided I'd order the hood and one clip and once I received both, I'd check to confirm the clip is the right fit and also know how many would be required.

These are the two parts:

The hood insulation:
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-hood...tion-37467768/

The clips, you need 15 of these:
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-assy...party-6605554/

The only hitch, delivery took a month because most likely these two distributors did not have it in stock either. The order status said the parts were on back order.

For the remaining 14 clips, I thought I'd check with Balaji Motors, Aundh if they had them. And they did, although it cost me 210 for 14 clips as opposed to 10/clip on Boodmo. But I saved almost a month!
Thanks for this detailed post. I was able to install this in my Tiago Petrol (2017). Bought the parts from Bodomo from the link you had posted and the delivery took around 3 weeks.

I faced a small hiccup while installing the clips. The first clip was broken during the installation and I was a bit sceptical about installing them all by myself. The clip was too hard to install and broke when I tried pushing it hard. After a few careful attempts, I was able to install all of them except for one more clip which was also broken while attempting to push it.

I have driven the car for a couple of days and these are my observations.

1) Noticeable difference in engine noise levels during idle
2) The difference is more at higher RPMs

After driving the car for 5+ years, I am happy with the improvements in the overall NVH levels. (I can still hear the engine from the cabin, but not as loud as it was before). I am still wondering why TATA decided to remove this insulation given the mediocre NVH levels of 1.2 Revotron + Tiago combo.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th August 2023 at 13:06. Reason: trimming quoted post for improved readability

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks