Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2022, 20:46   #2881
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_nemesis View Post
I don't think you need to visit the service center for this simple task. You can do it
Do you mean OBD device isn’t needed to reset service reminder and can be adjusted/reset just like setting time/date?

Update-
I checked in YouTube and it looks like OBD isn’t needed for Tiago/Tigor. So, once the message is vanished, is it automatically reset for next interval, let’s say, 6k kms/180 days?

Last edited by abhi_tjet : 24th January 2022 at 21:09. Reason: Added further point.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 22:58   #2882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Do you mean OBD device isn’t needed to reset service reminder and can be adjusted/reset just like setting time/date?
That's right. I have done it myself once when the service center missed doing it during my last service.
red_nemesis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 12:46   #2883
BHPian

Quote:

Update-
I checked in YouTube and it looks like OBD isn’t needed for Tiago/Tigor. So, once the message is vanished, is it automatically reset for next interval, let’s say, 6k kms/180 days?
Isn't Tiago service an annual routine, 15000km or 1yr ?
Old 25th January 2022, 14:25   #2884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Isn't Tiago service an annual routine, 15000km or 1yr ?
My Tiago AMT bought in July 2018 has a six month service interval.
Annual one is major in which oil, filters and other things are replaced. Six monthly one is minor which is more of a check up.
abhi_tjet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 11:26   #2885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingMan View Post

3. My 3rd free service and 1st paid service were delayed because of covid impact and I could not send my car over for service on time, is this going to have a bearing on the extended warranty? as the dealer is playing around with me on this point and has been evasive on my queries ( this question ties into #2 partly when I asked them on why tailgate struts were not covered under warranty/extended warranty)
I delayed my 2nd year service by few months due to lockdown conditions and also non-availability of a convenient service schedule (only one dealer in my district and is always busy). Now I have issues with my steering column and it needs to be replaced. Cost of this replacement is around 38K rupees. Tata customer care at first rejected to replace the part under extended warranty saying I didn't follow recommended service intervals. Customer care manager at Tata was a friend of mine and he managed to cover 70% of the total cost under warranty and the rest to be covered by owner + dealer.
In fact this defect was identified during my previous service, but the dealer didn't have the part in stock at that time. I could have argued and fought with Tata and dealership since the service history was proper at the time of detecting this issue, but knowing Tata can deny any warranty claims in future pointing to my service history, I agreed to what is offered.

Lesson learned : Always follow the recommended service interval!
Achilles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 02:03   #2886
BHPian

I have been an 'overall' happy Tata Tiago owner for 4 years, ten months, and for 30,000 km as of date.
The first batch of the AMT Tiago - I have an XZA Petrol with a 1.2 NA 3 cylinder Revotron engine and the 5 speed AMT 'head nod' auto box.

But, where there's Tata - the happiness is often short-lived. As robust as the build quality is, and I must confess, this one has behaved LEAST like a Tata for all of 4 years. No niggles. No rattles. No recurrent gremlins. The doors closed with a thud; the steering always felt nice and weighed up well. The ride was soft, and the overall car felt solid. (further testimony lies in the hits it took and stood strong to tell the tale).

Not sure what was the weaker point - the engine (3 cylinders) or the AMT gearbox. I, for one, could never tolerate the car in City mode and my defacto mode was sports mode.

Now, to the problem: On a lovely Sunday morning in September 2021, after a 20 km spirited highway drive - suddenly - out of nowhere - the Engine Temperature Gauge (digital) goes to ZERO. No, not one bar. NO BARS. Blank. Gone. And, the engine coolant temperature sign comes on. (red colour). This is different from the CEL and the Engine Temperature high sign (as per the manual).

With this, the car goes into a 'limp' mode. The creep function stops working. Gearbox refuses to up-shift beyond 2500 RPM and 2nd gear. Switching between Auto and Manual mode makes it change gears to a notch higher.

Even though it was a Sunday, Tata Support responded well - via the helpline - and the senior manager from the workshop was with me on call to try and figure out the problem.
After some basic tests - coolant check, engine oil leakage, etc., he assured me it is safe to 'cautiously' drive it home. So I did precisely that, intending to go to the workshop the very next day.

The next day, I start the car - everything is NORMAL! As if nothing ever happened. As if it was a bad dream. Still, we took it to the workshop. Scan shows up the error codes. Those are cleared.

Since then, every month - month on month - this problem RANDOMLY keeps coming up under all kinds of varied circumstances. Sometimes cold start, sometimes in the middle of a drive after 15 to 20 km. Sometimes after revving hard, sometimes for no apparent reason!
As erratic and mysterious as the appearance, equally mysteriously, it just disappears. Sometimes it lasts for 2 seconds, 10, 3 minutes, sometimes it remains for hours or even overnight.

Multiple visits (with equally hilarious Murphy's law type of outcomes) to the Tata workshop led to the following changes (step by step)
- Oil filter change
- Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor change
- Coolant Thermostat sensor change
- Oil temperature sensor change
- Radiator fan change
- Fuel tank cleaning
- Fuel line cleaning
- Spark Plug cleaning and refitting (sometimes it would take a LONG crank, and twice it was checked - battery wasn't the culprit)

Finally, one SA suggested that we change the AMT gearbox. It is a clutch issue.
That's when I had panic bells set in. 27k on the odo, 4 & 1/2 years of predominantly city running ... AMT gearbox failure?

A simple email to TML brought the cavalry to ensure a better diagnosis.
They did their bit to my car for one whole week. Never told me what they did - but the problem disappeared! I didn't even see it happen for a full two months, and the car felt better than new. The engine was sprightly, the gear shifts smoother, and revved better in sport mode.

Alas! One fateful day, after the first food court towards Pune, the sign came on for precisely 2 seconds while on the ghats. 2 seconds - and it was gone. The entire trip to Pune, the city, and a few days later, we were back - nary an issue. Next week, in the city - and the problem is back. This time it refuses to go! Car is sent to the workshop when they check the car - the problem is gone!
This time, I asked the TML guys seriously - what needs to be done - the answer is:
ECU change and ECU wiring change!

I didn't go ahead with it. But, fortunately, it has been more than a month since then, and the problem has not returned!
But, I know this could happen at the back of my mind. Frankly, the solution scares me. Hence, I seek an opinion based on the experiences of members here ... WHAT IS THIS ISSUE?

PS The reason not to mention any names of the workshop, the SA, or the helpful folks at TML is that as inept as it may seem, I believe that they have given their best and put in total effort. They have been cooperative, supportive, very responsive, and provided whatever best they could to help me solve this problem.
Yes, there may be people who say that 'this shouldn't happen in the first place' - or 'that's why you never buy a Tata.'
Sorry, but I have seen and heard equally bizarre stuff in ze Germans, and I have already booked a Dark Edition Nexon EV.

Here are MANY videos of this issue. These are unlisted on YouTube. Attempted at capturing that this problem has decided to surprise/embarrass/torture me numerous times.

PPS. No mods or tinkering was done to the car. 95% times single fuel COCO HP Pump. Every 3rd cycle is Power. All service and maintenance are done on time at TASS. No other issues to date. The only change is Tigor projector headlamps swapped 2-3 years ago - again TASS with warranty and original components.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...FRJdrwXTm3MBvV

Video #7 and #8 show the randomness of the issue.

Any guidance is appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Dr.Suraj : 22nd February 2022 at 02:11. Reason: Added comment below video link.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 19:40   #2887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra2278 View Post
I've an issue with boot unlock of my Tiago. Mine is 4+ months old, and since the start, I've been having issues with boot unlock using boot lever. No issues with unlock using key.
1) Sometimes, it used to unlock properly in the 1st try itself
2) Sometimes, it used to unlock halfway in the 1st try. i.e By pulling the boot a little harder, I was able to open the boot
3) Sometimes, it didn't unlock in the 1st try, but, did unlock in the 2nd or 3rd try
Hello Rajendra,
I have been facing the same issue on my 2020 tiago(facelift) with boot unlock for while now, but fortunately unlocking manually through key is working fine for now. It indeed is annoying and I am glad I found someone else with the same problem and even better you've found a solution.

I have made the same diagnosis as you. The lock unlock latch is working fine but unlocking "part" by pulling the lever needs to be a bit longer. Can you please update on the solution and, I plan to implement the solution referred by you, it is a clever jugaad.
Kanna_8118 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 13:59   #2888
BHPian

Quote:
My Tiago AMT bought in July 2018 has a six month service interval.
Annual one is major in which oil, filters and other things are replaced. Six monthly one is minor which is more of a check up.
Sir does the Oil change cost around INR 4000. My car is due 3rd free service and was given quote for 4000 as oil change cost. I asked them to email from the service center email about the cost and they did not do it yet.
Old 3rd March 2022, 15:27   #2889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Sir does the Oil change cost around INR 4000. My car is due 3rd free service and was given quote for 4000 as oil change cost. I asked them to email..
Hi Ananthang, sorry for the late reply.
I am not sure about the exact cost since Tiago is in other city used by my father. However, it’s in the vicinity of 4K. They might also change oil filter along with it.
Overall bill generally comes around 7-8k depending on the extra items pushed by the service guys.
Old 9th June 2022, 12:34   #2890
BHPian

Hi,
Can anyone share long term ownership experience for Tiago Diesel in particular. The information would be helpful to identify if there are major breakdowns/part failure in long term ownership.
Also it would be clear if the breakdown/part failure was specifically related to a particular manufacturing batch/year, as diesel Tiago is no longer in production.
Old 9th June 2022, 14:26   #2891
BHPian

I have been using a Taigo petrol 2017 model. So far so good. I know it won't be much relevant but this is more so with respect to overall build of the car. Minor issues here and there but nothing significant.
youknowitbetter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 14:56   #2892
BHPian

Hi, I am using tiago diesel since last 5 years. No major issues so far. Few rattles here and there thats all. I always get her serviced from authorised dealer and she is running as smooth as butter.
sparkguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 15:09   #2893
Distinguished - BHPian

Caught on the streets of Pune a few days back by Autospy, sporting these wheels from the earlier NRG version.

A new Limited Edition on the cards?

Tata Tiago : Official Review-81b8c6311a75481684e0ac6be4c481d5.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-324c0ab5b21e45b1945cff6663abf8e0.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 18:15   #2894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulemanP View Post
Hi,
Can anyone share long term ownership experience for Tiago Diesel in particular. The information would be helpful to identify if there are major breakdowns/part failure in long term ownership.
Also it would be clear if the breakdown/part failure was specifically related to a particular manufacturing batch/year, as diesel Tiago is no longer in production.
You need to be on lookout for fuel pump failure, engine mount breakages (A, B, C) and water pump leakage.
Although that last one may be due to my heavy usage among broken roads and ghats.
I've driven mine since Sept 2017, for about 1.2L kms now and have replaced suspension bushings twice, high pressure diesel fuel pump twice, water pump once at 84k and now having a minor leak, B and C engine mounts once, and high pressure diesel pipe from filter to engine once replaced (rubbing with adjacent pipe - design flaw IMO), replaced Ac pipe fittings due to sudden leakage once. Also, now the steering ball joints seem to have worn off and are due to be replaced at 9k INR

I would love to post a thorough long term ownership of my Tiago, but I don't have the flair for writing that other BHPians possess. But Would definitely answer and post any queries about the same.

Last edited by Torq : 12th June 2022 at 18:17. Reason: Additional info
Torq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 09:07   #2895
BHPian

Hello guys,

I drive a BS6 2020 Tiago XZ, I have almost no issues with the car in my 1.5years of ownership except a weird issue with gear change and the infamous petrol choking once in a blue moon. But the main issue is with the gear change, almost every time I change my the gear from 1-->2 it takes about 1-1.5seconds to slot the gear. Quite irritating to drive in traffic and sometimes dangerous too.

Done a bit of search on YouTube and ATOM (Facebook group for Tiago Owners) looks like quite a bit of people face similar issue with slotting the gear into 1 or 2 or 3. The culprit in all the cases is found to be a loose gear cable attached to a mount. Please refer to the attached image below taken from a YouTube video.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-screenshot-74.png

In my case the left grey colored cable is slightly loose with the green colored mount. I tried what everyone has suggested and pressed it gently to it's place. It worked for like few minutes. In the last service I had taken the issue with the mechanic and he's not sure if the loose cable is the culprit; I had done the pig-tail update for engine-lock issue and I was told there is an update with the gear selector mechanism, they just added an washer to where the grey cable ends and ta-dah the update done , as I have suspected the issue still persists. I insisted the mechanic that the issue is with the loose grey cable and to satisfy me he tightly wounded a metal wire around the cable to keep in its place. I know this mechanic for a while now and his jugaad's always work. Unfortunately not the case this time, it worked okay for 2 days and then back to normal. Everytime I open the bonnet and press the grey cable to it's place gear shifting is smooth for a few minutes and then back to normal.

I have taken the issue with a F.N.G who previously worked with TATA and as per his experience the green colored mount needs to be replaced which cost a whooping 10k. He advised me to wait for parts from a wrecked car, apparently Indica has the same gear box and the issue existed from Indica days. Has anyone in this forum faced a similar issue, I am open to any solutions.

Please note nearest T.A.S.S is around 40kms, over-crowded, understaffed and takes an whole day to get even an minor oil change. Also, I had a minor accident with the car and missed a service schedule by 3 months due to Covid, I am pretty sure warranty cannot be claimed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks