Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2020, 09:15   #436
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape velocity View Post
What other things should one bear in mind while driving a Diesel, in general, and driving on steep inclines , in particular, in terms of RPM, acceleration, turbocharger etc.
make sure you/father are not half-clutching it while climbing. Coming from NA petrols, I think this might be what you guys are doing. Once the car is able to crawl uphill slightly, release the clutch and press the A pedal confidently, the 1.5 diesel has enough torque to pull up steep slopes in 1st gear.

By keeping the clutch pedal partially pressed,
a) robbing the gearbox and wheels from getting the torque that the engine is delivering (hence the complaint of not being able to climb)
b) very bad for clutch life
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 09:45   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What other things should one bear in mind while driving a Diesel, in general, and driving on steep inclines , in particular, in terms of RPM, acceleration, turbocharger etc.

I'm feeling frustrated and see 8.5 lac go down the drain.
Well the reality is probably not as bad as it seems to be from your first experience with slopes. However, diesels definitely have a bit of a problem when it comes to tackling slopes and the trick is to ensure that the RPM needle is within the torque band - in this case, it should be above 2000 RPM or wherever it is that the TDCI makes peak torque. Below this, there is turbo lag and the car will find it a struggle to move uphill. A NA petrol on the other hand with its linear power development will take that same slope much better and smoother.

In short, try the above method and see how it works. Should work better if you ensure that the car is within the active turbo band (and outside of the turbo lag zone). At the same time, will also require careful throttle modulation since you dont want the car shooting ahead uncontrollably either. Will take a little bit of practise to perfect this.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 6th July 2020 at 09:49.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 10:59   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Regards
This reminds me of an incident. I have always owned petrol cars, and my only experience with diesels have been multiple long trips with cars hired from self-driving companies. Once, I was driving an Ertiga during a Mumbai-Mahabaleshwar trip. I had always heard about the infamous turbo-lag of the famous DDiS, but experience the same first hand. While entering Lonavala, we met serious traffic on the incline with multiple trucks. The Ertiga was loaded with 7 people. I with all my NA experience tried to drive in the same way, but faced with server lag and the car would not climb at all. I had to quickly adapt to the new driving style wherein one has to shift down even to the first to ensure that the RPM is sufficient to overcome the turbo-lag. Once I got a taste of this, I didn't face the issue while climbing the hills of Mahabaleshwar or driving around in the hill station.

Though, I am not sure the same is the case with TDCi engine. I have driven it many times and the turbo-lag is negligible. Once, I tried to climb a parking ramp in the Figo just by a slight tap to the throttle and it could easily do so. However, please follow what the other BHPians have recommended. Downshift is necessary and need to be imbibed in the driving habit to ensure proper climb on the slopes. Otherwise, you have bought a gem of an engine. It is a fantastic decision, so please don't feel bad. Wish you have many happy miles ahead.
SansGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 00:09   #439

Quote:
Hi all,

I bought a Ford Freestyle Diesel Titanium plus on 30.06.2020. I had,initially, decided to buy the petrol variant but due to imminent increase in the registration tax in Himachal from 3% to a minimum of 8%, and one month long waiting period for the petrol variant, I decided to go for diesel variant which cost me Rs.8,58,000/-, whereas the petrol top variant would have cost Rs.8,10,000/- after the revised registration tax rate.

I can completely relate to your inherent frustration.

Last year, I too stretched my budget somehow, to get a whisk at the blistering TDCI engine. It was a considerable stretch back then and underwent a lot of family and self convincing, even with the cushioning of an HP registration. But, I must admit, it was all worth the struggle and I have seldom looked back and reconsidered my decision.

I have mostly been driving in the city with regular highway sprints and some occasional mountain runs. Yes, the turbo lag does require some getting used to in the hills, with regular plonks to the first gear - the iconic jolts, heavy upshifts and the thick blot of smoke! You may need to change your driving style a bit, to make the most of the momentum on steep hamping inclines. This is usual for a lot of turbo charged diesel engines, in the mark today!

However, a word of caution, based on my experience of driving in sub zero temperatures on mountain roads - The turbo lag is more prominent and significantly pronounced on the TDCI, when it isn't on ideal temperatures. Moreover, during extreme cold morning starts, it can sometimes take well over 10-15 mins of engine idling for the temperature to reach close to optimum.

Driving with sub-optimal engine temperature (anyways not advisable) in these conditions plus the steep mountain inclines can feel like being stuck in an infinite turbo lag. This may be an issue for regular/local mountain folks who need to run frequent errands during the day and night in the extreme cold. The regular and intermittent wait for ideal engine temperatures will just be annoying.

But, once the temperature sets in, the engines becomes butter smooth and pleasantly responsive. The temperature drop also isn't as drastic, and can be fairly maintained for frequent engine start stops.
SddHnt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 15:04   #440
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
Could anyone tell me if they have a newer version of SYNC 3 than the following or if they were able to update it in anyway:

SYNC 3, version 3.0
Build 17276

This is the one I got when I purchased my vehicle back in '18. The MyFord portal mentions a newer version is available but attempting to download it never works.

Attempting an update via the HU also always fails!
Managed to get it updated by downloading the latest build from Ford UK's websites here:

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resourc...tooth/update#/
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 20:34   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
Managed to get it updated by downloading the latest build from Ford UK's websites here:

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resourc...tooth/update#/
Can you share the changelog or a summary of the release note?
Did they fix the issue with steering mounted controls when trying to answer/reject calls when connected to android auto?
Old 15th July 2020, 01:23   #442
BHPian

Welcome to the world of turbo lag my friend. Do not panic. As mentioned by many others, drive above the lag range.
I would say revv the engine as much as you can.
You/Your father will get adjusted to it in some time. Also Ford TDCi is better than Maruti DDIS in terms of the lag. If you happen to drive the latter, you would have completely given up on the diesels.
The trick is to not upshift early and drive above the lag range. TDCi usually respond from as low as 1700 RPM.
I have been driving the DDIS past 6 years and happen to drive Ford's TDCi many times, mostly rented cars. But still Ford TDCi lag is quite contained.
Quote:
Hi all,
After buying, the car was handed over to my father who has no experience of driving a diesel. As a matter of fact, neither do I, apart from the limited test drive.
Yesterday, I got a call from father complaining that the car failed to drive up an inclined stretch of road in first gear despite being famed for its torque. The stretch of road in question is also not a very steep gradient but is in a bad condition having loose rocks and dirt.

Regards
ankitsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 18:37   #443
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDaddy_In View Post
Can you share the changelog or a summary of the release note?
Did they fix the issue with steering mounted controls when trying to answer/reject calls when connected to android auto?
I wasn't able to get a hold of the change log and there arent any major updates at least on the surface of it.

The bug that you mentioned, afaik was an issue with AA itself.
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 19:47   #444
BHPian

How long do you idle your TDCI engine before turning it off? I usually try to idle it for 30 secs(rough estimate.never timed it!).
Every time I do that, my wife gives me a weird look

User manual(link below) asks us to wait till the rpm settles to idle speed(which happens within seconds I think)

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...userMarket=IND

Last edited by bigDaddy_In : 15th July 2020 at 20:08.
Old 31st July 2020, 22:27   #445
BHPian

Hello,

I just came across a video in which a Freestyle owner who has purchased his car in March 2020, had to get his car towed to service center for the same issue 5 times, & the technicians were not able to produce any diagnostics report every time. Please watch the video for further details.

P.S. As this car is in my shortlist to purchase, I find it disconcerting to find such issues in a brand new car. I have no intention of defaming Ford by sharing this video, in fact I love the brand & the cars they make. Just thought of sharing someone’s bad experience I have come across.

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 09:41   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_narender View Post
Hello,
Just thought of sharing someone’s bad experience I have come across.

Neo
Someone had reported powers drop issues on the BS6 Ecosport on our forum. Hope Ford hasn't taken any shortcuts to keep the price of their BS6 engines low. They already have the perception of being high maintenance from their ikon days.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 17:56   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

P.S. As this car is in my shortlist to purchase, I find it disconcerting to find such issues in a brand new car.
Neo
It is really disconcerting to hear this. I too have this car in my consideration and this certainly isn't a confidence booster. However, it looks more of a manufacturing defect with a single car and there are occasions with other manufacturers too where similar things can happen. If it was with all BS6 FS, there would surely have been some noise in this age of social media.

Quote:
Hi all,

I bought a Ford Freestyle Diesel Titanium plus on 30.06.2020.
I think you are the best person to answer this as you are experiencing the BS6 product now. How is it performing? What is the overall reliability and did you face any issues till date?
SansGT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 20:57   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

P.S. As this car is in my shortlist to purchase, I find it disconcerting to find such issues in a brand new car. I have no intention of defaming Ford by sharing this video, in fact I love the brand & the cars they make. Just thought of sharing someone’s bad experience I have come across.

Neo
Don't you think every company will have a lemon or two rolling out from the assembly line? It is just the owners luck that he got that and it doesn't mean every example rolled out by that particular company is faulty.

Freestyle is one of the good products by Ford, be it the diesel or petrol, diesel being powerful. I would suggest going with which car suits you rather than going by reviews such as these which every car will have.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 02:22   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Don't you think every company will have a lemon or two rolling out from the assembly line? It is just the owners luck that he got that and it doesn't mean every example rolled out by that particular company is faulty.
Freestyle is one of the good products by Ford, be it the diesel or petrol, diesel being powerful. I would suggest going with which car suits you rather than going by reviews such as these which every car will have.
The purpose of sharing the video was to check if everyone who had purchased a similar model is doing alright. Not every issue that needs to be reported, gets reported. Or posted on forums.
And Yes! I agree that every once in while a “lemon” gets delivered to an unsuspecting customer even from the best of the car manufacturers. And I do not say that every model would be faulty.

But I strongly believe that a customer while facing such an ordeal needs to be taken extra care by the manufacturer or dealer, without him having to take media’s help to garner attention from the manufacturer. I am not even talking about compensation for such a bad taste in the mouth, just fixing the car.
No “lemons” whatsoever would be an ideal world. That’s not possible.
What’s the next best thing? To try & solve the issue promptly. Will be a confidence booster to select that manufacturer for the next purchase or auto advice.
Sweeping under the rug? Worst thing ever.

Coming to my car buying decision:
Yes! It was disconcerting to see this.
No, this alone doesn’t change my “Best car to buy within my budget” list where Figo/Freestyle still remain within top 3.

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:42   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But I strongly believe that a customer while facing such an ordeal needs to be taken extra care by the manufacturer or dealer, without him having to take media’s help to garner attention from the manufacturer. I am not even talking about compensation for such a bad taste in the mouth, just fixing the car.
No “lemons” whatsoever would be an ideal world. That’s not possible.
What’s the next best thing? To try & solve the issue promptly. Will be a confidence booster to select that manufacturer for the next purchase or auto advice.
Sweeping under the rug? Worst thing ever.

Neo
Agree. Unfortunately, we have a basket full of lemons when it comes to A.S.S.
However, I would still go by saying to not let that be a detterant in your car purchase as Ford services are not too bad on the whole and yes, affordable too.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks