Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2019, 08:42   #196
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
If it was such a short TD, and you weren't able to really gauge the feel of the car, then why make this half baked observation?
Nothing half-baked about it. Drove it in traffic, commented on its behaviour in that scenario. Didn't get to drive on the highway, didn't comment on that aspect.

Quote:
Again, If a TD opinion is not to be read into, and isnt of that much relevance, then why the need to post it in the first place?
The point being made, and I thought I made it rather clear in a full paragraph prior to the bit you selectively quoted, is one shouldn't rely solely on online or other people's opinion while buying a car. What works for you may not work for someone else.

It's one person's opinion, of course, and you're free to disregard it. When you're having fun in your JTP, an online opinion won't matter.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 10:49   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyistheworld View Post
Hi everyone! I booked the Tiago JTP about 10 days ago.

It's finally arriving in a few days, April 10th, Wednesday is what I've been told.
Congrats! Looks like we might get our cars delivered on the same day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
It's one person's opinion, of course, and you're free to disregard it. When you're having fun in your JTP, an online opinion won't matter.
Noted, and I guess you're right in saying that it wouldn't matter.
Anyway, have you decided between the Figo, Freestyle and JTP yet? I must say they're all compelling choices.
Turrrb0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 10:54   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Noted, and I guess you're right in saying that it wouldn't matter.

Anyway, have you decided between the Figo, Freestyle and JTP yet? I must say they're all compelling choices.
Whats the on-road price and whats the discounts did you guys receive?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th April 2019 at 12:22. Reason: Spacing in quoted post
Old 8th April 2019, 11:09   #199

Quote:
Sweet! I'm guessing you've booked the red? I've gone for the white.
I believe most of the people here don't like the white. I don't like red all that much, and when it comes to cars, I see too much red. Not that white isn't common too. But I personally like the red RVMs, they stand out a bit more.

Also, I've already done red twice. I have a stable of bikes. 6 overall. 4 currently.

Looking forward to the JTP standing out in my garage
joyistheworld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 11:48   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyistheworld View Post
Sweet! I'm guessing you've booked the red? I've gone for the white.
I believe most of the people here don't like the white. I don't like red all that much, and when it comes to cars, I see too much red. Not that white isn't common too. But I personally like the red RVMs, they stand out a bit more.

Also, I've already done red twice. I have a stable of bikes. 6 overall. 4 currently.

Looking forward to the JTP standing out in my garage
Yes, It's the red Tiago indeed. Well colour is a personal choice afterall.

Not that I didn't like the white, but the last few cars we've owned in our family have almost all been white. So I thought that I would go for a change and try something new!
Personally, I was not a fan of the red mirrors. I'd have gone and got them wrapped in black or CF straight out of the showroom.
Old 8th April 2019, 11:52   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....have you decided between the Figo, Freestyle and JTP yet? I must say they're all compelling choices.
Figo AT sort of rules itself out. I was willing to live with the lack of kit, but Ford doesn't seem too keen on selling it. Two dealers I've dealt with won't even take a booking. I'll try the others this week.

Frustrating story with JTP. City TDs don't do justice to the cars, and Prerana Motors Bangalore are absolutely unresponsive about a longer, highway TD. You guys are fortunate to find dedicated SAs.

I did TD the Freestyle T+ TDCi yesterday, long highway + my entire city commute route, and it's a hoot to drive and fully kitted.

Holding out for a proper JTP TD before I write the check.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 12:48   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Frustrating story with JTP. City TDs don't do justice to the cars, and Prerana Motors Bangalore are absolutely unresponsive about a longer, highway TD. You guys are fortunate to find dedicated SAs.
Why don't you try this showroom ;
Adishakti Cars Pvt Ltd
#56, Opp Lumbini Garden Main Gate, Veeranpalya, Service Ring Road, Jogappa Layout, Nagavara, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560045
080 4325 0000
https://goo.gl/maps/uqMQiVq8u6m

I went on a Sunday afternoon and got a test drive upto Yelahanka on the airport road.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 13:54   #203
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, like bhpian tharian mentioned, try out a different dealer who is working on Sundays. Two of my test drives were taken on lazy Sunday afternoons.
Also check with them if they will bring the car to your home/office for the TD.
At least here in Chennai the dealer seemed eager to make a sale, and was ready to give me the car for any number of TDs and for however long I wanted to.

I believe the JTP will be worth taking a good TD at the least.
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 15:53   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Why don't you try this showroom...
Quote:
I believe the JTP will be worth taking a good TD at the least.
Called the JTP number on the site, they've promised to pass on details to two separate dealers to arrange TDs. Let's see how the dealers respond now.
Old 8th April 2019, 16:13   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I did TD the Freestyle T+ TDCi yesterday, long highway + my entire city commute route, and it's a hoot to drive and fully kitted.

After driving the Freestyle Petrol for 4 days / 350 kms, switched back to my JTP today. Trust me, the TDCI or 1.2 Dragon doesn't matter!; the way the JTP goes about its business on road is so damn addictive!. Hard to think of any other car in this segment after driving one. Right from the steering weight, the Feel, the Brakes, the suspension, the Power delivery, Instant Response. If you just love driving (and if you are an extremely selfish person like me :P ) there are no other cars in near vicinity of the JTP twins !

On the other hand, the Freestyle is a extremely Pragmatic for its Feature set, Safety (Esp the TCS), better Fuel efficiency (in case of petrol) and great fuel efficiency (in case of TDCI), Little more usable space, much much better NVH and refinement levels, absolute best ride quality in its segment and a overall well rounded product.

That being said, i fully acknowledge the need for proper TD. not only that a conducive/ engaging dealer is always better to go with, considering the future

Last edited by Mi10 : 8th April 2019 at 16:18.
Mi10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 17:17   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post

That being said, i fully acknowledge the need for proper TD. not only that a conducive/ engaging dealer is always better to go with, considering the future
That's become my favorite retort these days! If Tata were responsive and Ford just wanted to sell their damn cars, I'd be writing an ownership review right now.
Old 8th April 2019, 17:17   #207
BHPian

Quote:
After driving the Freestyle Petrol for 4 days / 350 kms, switched back to my JTP today. Trust me, the TDCI or 1.2 Dragon doesn't matter!; the way the JTP goes about its business on road is so damn.
..i fully acknowledge the need for proper TD. not only that a conducive/ engaging dealer is always better to go with, considering the future
Perfectly said and I couldn't agree more!

Also an important point to note is the last line in Mi10s post. A good dealer will make or break the experience for you. This is TATA afterall.

On a related note and I'm sure Mi10 and the other JTP owners I've been interacting with will agree, the support and response from the guys over at JTSV has been really good. What I mean is that they have instilled the confidence that IF/when any niggles or issues arise, there is a responsive team going to be at work to make sure it is fixed to MY satisfaction.

I haven't seen a customer centric team like JTSV before, kudos to them.
Turrrb0 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 18:00   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a related note and I'm sure Mi10 and the other JTP owners I've been interacting with will agree, the support and response from the guys over at JTSV has been really good. What I mean is that they have instilled the confidence that IF/when any niggles or issues arise, there is a responsive team going to be at work to make sure it is fixed to MY satisfaction.

I have personally found, a LOT of difference (a positive one a that) in interacting with regular TaMo folks (both from Sales and Service side) vs the JTSV team (Service and Sales teams).

When i first went to TaMo service about my exhaust alignment issue in JTP, they tried to brush aside a case telling this is how all Tiago JTP exahust look. Even when i provided substantial photo evidence, they were in constant phase of denial and said, it is normal for these cars.
One email to JTSV with photos, and i get a call back in 2 hours acknowledging the alignment issue. As mentioned in my review it was resolved in a prompt and diligent manner where the JTSV Service stakeholder acted as a pivot between the dealer and myself. The issue was rectified in fairly quick time too.

JTSV is kinda trying to do a Nexa. But honestly so far, i have found them much better than the Nexa Experience which was found wanting in rigor and responsiveness
Mi10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 18:14   #209
BHPian

Quote:
I had an opportunity of informal talk with JTSV team sometime back. We talked on spate of issues including registration delays, why JTSV instead of Tata Motors, expansion plans and all. I asked them specifically on why they took the treacherous path of incorporating a separate company instead of launching JTPs like Polo GT TSI, Abarth Punto and likes. The response was that they don't want to be limited by the inertia of large organisation like Tata Motors. JTSV was formed so that they can be agile and responsive. Many of us owners have experienced this.

Quote:
JTSV is kinda trying to do a Nexa. But honestly so far, i have found them much better than the Nexa Experience which was found wanting in rigor and responsiveness
That's because while Nexa is still MSIL, JTSV shares little with Tata Motors on paper. The best part I found is that they have quite realistic sales targets so that should definitely help.
ksameer1234 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 19:03   #210
Team-BHP Support

Got a proper TD after JTSV intervention (thanks to Sameer & Anirudha for their help). They brought over the Tiago JTP. I guess my driving experience can be summed up in my building's security guard's reaction when I got back: "Saar, what are you grinning about?"

On open roads and twisties (limited to those I could find driving up & down on NICE road), this car is F-U-N. The motor's a riot at 4-5k rpm, the speedo showed unmentionable readings and we were still accelerating! The car isn't free-revving at the top end though, but it does so much in the range mentioned that I wouldn't consider that a deal-breaker. I hope JTP offer rev limiter removal options to owners in the future. The needle turning red at 5k rpm is sweet.

That said, back to real life. I personally still find the car a bit jumpy and overeager in traffic. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd isn't smooth in either mode, and engine braking is very discernible when one gets off the throttle in those gears. I noted this in my initial city TD observations, so it definitely wasn't a one-off or car-specific. Not the car's fault and not unmanageable, but I couldn't use it for a daily commute in Bangalore, for example, without getting flustered. This car's a highway monster, unquestionably.

The Tiago is also impractical as an only car (would be great as a second car for weekend/highway use) due to its compact size, the same thing that makes it a hoot on the highway. If we end up buying one, we'll probably lean towards the Tigor for the slightly larger cabin and significantly larger boot.

Summing up, it's a terrific performance car but probably not suitable as an only car in the family, esp. if one commutes in congested metros often. Personal opinion only, and if push came to shove, I'd grit my teeth and live with it in exchange for the highway grins!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks