Team-BHP - Tata Harrier : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Harrier : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/209281-tata-harrier-official-review-43.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4711944)
Benefits of up to 1.4 lakh on the Harrier...

On the news paper it is advertised as a gift cheque of 1 lac + exchange bonus of 40 thousand. What exactly is a gift cheque?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Himjyoti (Post 4711943)
- Ergonomics: 3/5; Needs to improve; In cabin noise is higher than Compass or even Hexa.

What about the software update for the infotainment system, with changes to the steering and clutch, as well as lowered NVH?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Himjyoti (Post 4711943)
I own a Tata Harrier XZ Dual tone for last 4 months...

I concur. I just picked up XZ Dual Tone last week. Got a great deal on it and no doubts on the vehicles credentials, but the ASS is a major question mark. When you go to the showroom, there's a sense of lethargy in the staff. "Please wait sir." is the common answer to all queries.

+1 on the ORVMs and the cabin noise.

Note from Support:

Please avoid typing....like....this, and proof-read your posts before submitting.

Not Confirmed : 1.6 Turbo petrol engine Harrier to be launched soon.

Could be the Seltos GT Slayer. At least most of us expect it to be the 'one'

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWAllstar (Post 4714464)

Could be the Seltos GT Slayer. At least most of us expect it to be the 'one'

I have already mentioned this in another thread. Please don't believe any such news. The 1.6 turbo petrol is not coming before 2022. It's a brand new engine and a lot of testing needs to be done for the same. Please check out my post no 134 from the Gravitas thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram87pune (Post 4714477)
I have already mentioned this in another thread. Please don't believe any such news. The 1.6 turbo petrol is not coming before 2022. It's a brand new engine and a lot of testing needs to be done for the same. Please check out my post no 134 from the Gravitas thread.

Within minutes you have brought down all hopes of Tata optimists. Sometimes incorrect marketing also helps to gather the much needed hype a capable car needs.

If they can borrow the diesel engine form FCA then what stops them to plonk their turbo petrol as well? Sometimes decisions in the automobile industry seems to be so simple for an outsider but in reality they are way too complicated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWAllstar (Post 4714482)
Within minutes you have bought down all hopes of Tata optimists. Sometimes incorrect marketing also helps to gather the much needed hype a capable car needs.

With all the brickbats that are usually thrown at Tata, better they take their time with the petrol engine.

We can see people going nuts looking at the mileage offered by the Seltos, Compass and Hector petrol units.

By 2022, the Indian market will be more mature to accept the environmental benefits (compared to diesel) and mileage constraints of petrol as far as these big SUVs are concerned.

I personally would prefer if Tata worked towards a petrol hybrid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWAllstar (Post 4714464)

Why? The excellent Diesel struggles to sell. The Turbo Petrol may not even cross 100 units per month. Tata's 1.2 Turbo Petrol is not really good in terms of drivability or fuel efficiency.

They better launch a Diesel automatic before its too late.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp (Post 4714522)

Diesel Auto is coming. And if they're able to launch it before MG, they'll have good numbers to show in the coming months. Max bookings for the Hector is for the DCT, which is why they're not going all gung ho for a Diesel Auto gearbox.

Quote:

Within minutes you have bought down all hopes of Tata optimists. Sometimes incorrect marketing also helps to gather the much needed hype a capable car needs.

If they can borrow the diesel engine form FCA then what stops them to plonk their turbo petrol as well? Sometimes decisions in the automobile industry seems to be so simple for an outsider but in reality they are way too complicated.

Haha that was a good one. But I cannot just sit here and let fellow bhpians fall into the trap of these clickbait articles just so that Tata can get some much needed hype:D. I am an unabashed Tata fanboy but will call a spade a spade.

I have been critical of Tata for not launching completely sorted products from day one with less features to speak of. In today's market conditions you cannot say that we will add so and so feature at a later date when the competition already offers the same.

Regarding the question of not using the Fiat's turbo petrol, I will get back to you when I have concrete intel. And yes it's very easy for us to be armchair critics but many times the ground reality is completely different. Only those who work hands on can relate to the struggles they face each day.

As per my sources the troubles that they are going through with the Multijet engine are enough for them to keep Fiat at an arm's length in the future. So don't think they will have any more engine collaborations at least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram87pune (Post 4714580)
I am an unabashed Tata fanboy but will call a spade a spade.

Same here, thanks to the Safari.

The list of goofs up done by Tata in this decade could be a case study for anyone who wishes to be in the auto industry.

Not working on a New Safari when M&M is bringing in a New Scorpio. Goofing up the Nano. Botched Harrier launch. No AT in their new offerings. Not being concrete with BS6 Hexa, unnecessary feature deletions (they have deleted the sun glass holder in the Hexa! :Frustrati) and the list goes on.

For now, I'm calling them Tata 'Aa Bail Mujhe Maar' Motors :uncontrol

Quote:

I think it is complicated because manufacturers all have different designs for their vehicles, characteristics included. When designing engines, they'll ensure it suits their own requirements, not that of others. While it is still possible to take another manufacturer's engine, the question of how many changes to make still remains.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp (Post 4714522)
Why? The excellent Diesel struggles to sell. The Turbo Petrol may not even cross 100 units per month. Tata's 1.2 Turbo Petrol is not really good in terms of drivability or fuel efficiency.

The diesel only struggles to sell because of a lack of automatic and of course, perceived NVH differences compared to competitors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TROOPER (Post 4714503)
We can see people going nuts looking at the mileage offered by the Seltos, Compass and Hector petrol units.

Honestly what do such people expect when they buy a huge, heavy SUV with a petrol engine? They certainly won't be expecting Maruti efficiencies.

A friend of mine was in the market for Harrier, loved it's looks. He took a test drive and came back with the same , it is very noisy feedback.

Is Tata using AVL to tune this engine? Anyone has any information on this please let us know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram87pune (Post 4714580)
As per my sources the troubles that they are going through with the Multijet engine are enough for them to keep Fiat at an arm's length in the future. So don't think they will have any more engine collaborations at least.

I sometimes wonder why they went for the FIAT engine in the first place. I do understand the Ingeniums are costly but then the VARICOR is so driveable an engine and I had expected them to further develop that line of engines especially with the huge advantage in torque and a fair amount of power too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nainan (Post 4714719)
I sometimes wonder why they went for the FIAT engine in the first place. I do understand the Ingeniums are costly but then the VARICOR is so driveable an engine and I had expected them to further develop that line of engines especially with the huge advantage in torque and a fair amount of power too.

Readiness of the engine in a transverse drive mounting. Varicor has been designed from birth for RWD cars. The MJD2.0 is available off the shelf in the required implementation design for FWD.

Also while very efficient & powerful, the Varicor has a very compact power band. Typical to Tata designed engines which continues in the latest Revotron and Revotorq family as well. It has a "get moving" low end, everything happens in mid-range. And the mid-range is also the top end. That makes the engine "also ran" in a premium segment where quick revving & an ever increasing torque curve are also looked at. MJD made more sense that way. It brings a more respected brand name. (Not that the engine is more powerful/torque loaded, but its revv happy.) I'm suspecting some commercial arrangements from other deals with FCA also required these engines to be purchased. Its a joint Tata-Fiat plant that manufactures the engine afterall.

The Varicor surely will be shoehorned for the modern cars & will come back. Perhaps a Varicor2.0. Fingers crossed.