Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2020, 18:05   #61
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour 2.0L Diesel AT : Official Review (with dune bashing)

Found this interesting video on youtube:-

We don't know the reliability of this new smaller capacity engine but the engine+gearbox combo looks good and a befitting replacement to the 3.2L
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 21:56   #62
BHPian

I finally got the delivery of the new 2.0 4X2 Endeavour the other day. It was a little frustrating at first because I paid them just before the lockdown and my car was stuck at their showroom for almost 2 months.

Nonetheless, here are some initial pictures (sorry for the poor quality, just trying to get things in order after the lockdown).

It is too early to mention any big likes and dislikes but in terms of initial impressions.

Likes -

1- Very punchy engine lower down. I test drove the 4x4 version but this 4x2 feels a lot peppier (maybe because it is almost 200 kgs lighter than the 4x4). It drops several gears to give you an instant surge of power and I had to be very gentle with the throttle in stop-go traffic.

2- Massive road presence (Usually the most obvious highlight of this car).

3- I personally find it very appealing look wise with the raptor grill on.

4- Great over pot holes and horrible patches of road. You don't even feel anything on mini speed breakers and road bumps. Giving you an almost hovercraft like feeling.

5- Absolutely amazing sound system. The 10 speaker system is splendid.

Dislikes -

1- The engine is somehow loud lower down. Not in a bad way, but you hear it a lot with the music turned off. I quite like the grunt, makes it feel sporty but might not be to everyone's taste.

2- The driver side pillar is a little thick, affecting all around visibility.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour 2.0L Diesel AT : Official Review (with dune bashing)-20200521_201555.jpg  

Ford Endeavour 2.0L Diesel AT : Official Review (with dune bashing)-20200521_201620.jpg  

Ford Endeavour 2.0L Diesel AT : Official Review (with dune bashing)-20200521_202130.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 22nd May 2020 at 08:05. Reason: video in post not playing/accessible
rahul_jo is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 23:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
I finally got the delivery of the new 2.0 4X2 Endeavour the other day. It was a little frustrating at first because I paid them just before the lockdown and my car was stuck at their showroom for almost 2 months.

Lucky you and congratulations! Hey quick question, how come the wheels on your ride are different? They're not the ones that started coming out this gen and the one preceding it 2018-19 models too. The wheels on yours were on the 2016 makes.
adi_petrolhead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 00:18   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Lucky you and congratulations! Hey quick question, how come the wheels on your ride are different? They're not the ones that started coming out this gen and the one preceding it 2018-19 models too. The wheels on yours were on the 2016 makes.
Thank you.

Exactly. I was a little surprised too when I saw this in person. I read the spec sheet multiple times and it didn't mention anything about different alloys. All it said was "Premium Alloy Wheels".

I read it again yesterday and realized that on my model Titanium it had a # sign at the top and at the bottom of the page, within the fine print it said - "Different design on the variant".

However, to my pleasant surprise, it looks quite good in person. The pictures don't do it justice. A part of me is liking these alloys slightly more than the other one's.

They have brought back the old alloys in the 2020 model for international markets too - https://www.ford.com.au/content/ford....full.high.jpg

Last edited by rahul_jo : 22nd May 2020 at 00:38.
rahul_jo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 18:22   #65
Senior - BHPian

BS6 Ford Endeavour introductory pricing extended by three months till July 31, 2020.

Endeavour went on sale on February 25, with prices ranging from Rs 29.55- 33.25 lakh, and it was to see a price increment of around Rs 70,000, post April 30.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-months-417379
Old 3rd June 2020, 22:42   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Moreover what is the reason for not bringing bi turbo version which was eagerly awaited. The logic that it is not BS6 complaint doesn't sound convincing as twin turbo will be always more efficient burner of fuel. Moreover the person spending more than 3 million on a car can easily pay about 50 thousand more which would have been additional cost of that engine.
Thats a lame excuse by the Ford team. BiTurbo engine is Euro6 complaint and available in UK market on Ranger.

https://www.ford.co.uk/vans-and-pick.../ranger-raptor
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 16:44   #67
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Car Expert, Australia, has some interesting news regarding the New Ford Everest (Endeavour, when it gets to our shores).

The New Everest looks menacing, to say the least, with major changes under the hood.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...d-everest.html
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 03:03   #68
BHPian

I test drove both the new 4x4 Endeavour and 4x4 MT Fortuner the past week. I found the engine on the Endeavour to be noticeably more sluggish than the Fortuner's, though the 10-speed transmission was quite smooth and the suspension on the Endeavour was softer. The NVH levels were more reasonable on the Endeavour as well, though at higher RPMs both engines were similarly audible.

Driving in 'S' mode on the Endeavour and 'Power' mode on the Fortuner, the Fortuner was the clear winner. It hauls better than the single-turbo Endeavour without a doubt. Even though the power difference is just about 7 bhp, the decreased weight gives the Fortuner the advantage.

Though the Ford is loaded with more features, I'm quite apprehensive of Ford's reliability, particularly when it comes to electronics. My father's Focus conked out in the middle of the road - not once, but twice - due to a general electrical failure and I've seen many issues with Ikons and Fiestas in India in the past. Plus, with the Mahindra JV, I'm not sure how the dealerships may be affected. I have read elsewhere on the forum that some are closing down and directing customers to Mahindra service centers.

At this point I'm leaning towards the Fortuner 4x4 MT, which would also be over 1L cheaper than the Endeavour 4wd. The only things I feel I'm really missing out on are Apple Carplay and electronically folding rear seats, which aren't really deal-breakers for me.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th June 2020 at 11:19. Reason: No expletives please.
The_Mad_Hatter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 11:08   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mad_Hatter View Post
I test drove both the new 4x4 Endeavour and 4x4 MT Fortuner the past week. I found the engine on the Endeavour to be noticeably more sluggish than the Fortuner's, though the 10-speed transmission was quite smooth and the suspension on the Endeavour was softer. The NVH levels were more reasonable on the Endeavour as well, though at higher RPMs both engines were similarly audible.
Did you also test drive the automatic Fortuner? That'll give you a proper idea and a head to head comparison with the Endeavour.

I took an extensive drive of the Fortuner and somehow just couldn't come to terms with how stiff it's ride comfort was. The back seat makes you bounce around even more.

Long journeys might make you feel very tired in the Fortuner especially if it involves going on bad patches of road. Honestly, even most sedans offer a better ride comfort than this current gen Fortuner.

I did the same in the Endeavour and it gobbles pot holes like they don't even exist.

In terms of reliability. Yes, the Fortuner is better but it isn't better by a huge margin. If the Fortuner is 20, then the Endeavour is definitely 19.
rahul_jo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 13:18   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
Did you also test drive the automatic Fortuner? That'll give you a proper idea and a head to head comparison with the Endeavour.
Yes, it was the AT Fortuner that I test-drove. That is the only test-drive Fortuner available at my dealership.

My current cars are a Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI and Hyundai Verna (both MY2019). I would definitely relate the Endeavour's more plush suspension to the Superb's and the Fortuner to the Verna's, so that's certainly in the Endeavour's favour. They feel almost identical, apart from the obvious ground clearance differences. Both my cars are automatic, and having driven automatics for the better part of 5 years a manual is a welcome change and is only available in the Fortuner. Whichever one I decide on will be replacing the Verna. I have yet to test either vehicle off-road, which I hope to be able to do later this week.

As I mentioned earlier, in addition to reliability I am concerned about the effects of the Mahindra JV. I've heard rumours of Ford dealerships closing down and redirecting customers to Mahindra, and that is something I don't look forward to. Plus, in the off-chance that they bring the twin-turbo to India in the near future exchanging towards that after purchasing a single turbo wouldn't be feasible for me. Either way, I hope to make a decision by the end of the month.

Last edited by The_Mad_Hatter : 15th June 2020 at 13:23.
Old 18th June 2020, 18:51   #71
BHPian

As like always, a well detailed review with complete insights. I have watched almost all of your off-road adventures on youtube, learned a lot from your off-road skills. As an admirer of Endeavour I will always wish for a 3.2L version with 197 bhp over the 2/2.2L ones. We love endeavour basically for its go anywhere capability and high torque motor. Due to the same reason Endeavour with 4x2 will never fulfil the purpose. The 3.2L pre-owned BS-IV will suit more in an off-road enthusiast's garrage than the 2L BS-VI anyday. I will try the Fordpass app on my ford. Rated 5 stars for the quality of content you shared with us through this review. Thank you.
topse is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 00:46   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by topse View Post
.We love endeavour basically for its go anywhere capability and high torque motor. Due to the same reason Endeavour with 4x2 will never fulfil the purpose. The 3.2L pre-owned BS-IV will suit more in an off-road enthusiast's garrage than the 2L BS-VI anyday.
For some reason Ford India doesn't seems to understand the Indian market. 3.2 to 2.0 BiTurbo upgrade is available in Australia for just 1500 AU$ (~ 80K INR)
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour 2.0L Diesel AT : Official Review (with dune bashing)-endy1.jpg  

Ford Endeavour 2.0L Diesel AT : Official Review (with dune bashing)-endy2.jpg  

LionX is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:05   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
For some reason Ford India doesn't seems to understand the Indian market. 3.2 to 2.0 BiTurbo upgrade is available in Australia for just 1500 AU$ (~ 80K INR)
Yes, going by Ford's moves in the recent past it definitely appears that they haven't updated their lessons learnt sheet for a while now. It will be interesting to know what was Ford's rationale behind going for a single turbo setup. Two reasons come to my mind, both of which can be excuses at best
  • High cost of replacing a turbo if it goes bad post warranty. As we know, despite putting in good efforts to get rid off its expensive to maintain image, many buyers are still apprehensive.
  • Additional turbo means more sensors, actuators etc. This opens up an additional set of failure modes that can trigger MIL, get into limp mode etc. that can be a potential threat to the reliability of the car.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 22:41   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
  • High cost of replacing a turbo if it goes bad post warranty. As we know, despite putting in good efforts to get rid off its expensive to maintain image, many buyers are still apprehensive.
isn't the same applicable for single turbo as well ? Of course 2 Turbo's cost will be more than 1 but then the cost will be even more for the 10AT box, if goes bad. Going forward, I think it will be difficult for Ford to compete with Toyota especially when the Fortuner facelift is expected to come with a more powerful engine ( 204PS & 500 NM).
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 00:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

Is there a factual data sheet saying the new Panther engine in higher tune sold internationally indeed deploys two individual low and high stage turbos? Or a BMW like twin-scroll turbo with more efficient turbo fins and higher pressure turbo oil injectors? I really have a feeling it's a twin-scroll turbo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks