Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:19   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
Yes you're right. I did identify it as the Auxiliary Water Pump. But the thing is, the coolant bottle bubbles even when the engine is running. I frankly don't have an explanation for why it bubbles when the car is idling. The coolant bubbling after the car is switched off because of the Second Water Pump seemed fairly logical to me.
Could it possibly be because there is excess coolant? I remember seeing coolant being over the max mark in some of the newer cars here. Mine is a December make and coolant is between the min and max mark. Looks like some one paid attention to the concerns raised here. Here’s a pic from this morning, engine is cold so I suppose there is no coolant lying around in any of the lines.

Last time I saw coolant bubbling in the reservoir was when the service center overfilled it during general service on my 390 duke. It got so hot inside that the coolant spilled on to the road from top of the reservoir. Did not face any further issue since I got it back to the correct levels. This was 4 years back.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-bc3bd3d111c242b9adc03c02ba3bea9b.jpeg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th January 2021 at 08:32. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Please use the EDIT and multiquote QUOTE+ functions within 30 min of submitting the first post, instead of posting back to back
Old 7th January 2021, 14:40   #182
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review

Thought someone could find this accessory price list useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-375822964510496284634f1db34e4346.png  

PankajKara is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 21:28   #183
BHPian

Hey guys, newbie checking in here. This thread has been really helpful to me, thanks everyone for the contribution. I've booked the Polo Highline plus AT 2021 model on the last week of December and I got a confirmation yesterday that a vehicle has been allotted against my booking. This is my first car and really looking forward to engage with my fellow Polo owners on car ownership and experience.
PacmanBegins is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 22:00   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacmanBegins View Post
Hey guys, newbie checking in here. This thread has been really helpful to me, thanks everyone for the contribution. I've booked the Polo Highline plus AT 2021 model on the last week of December and I got a confirmation yesterday that a vehicle has been allotted against my booking. This is my first car and really looking forward to engage with my fellow Polo owners on car ownership and experience.
Congratulations man, excellent choice
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 08:55   #185
BHPian

Did over 900 kms in the last 2 days. Here’s a quick update on highway manners and other related metrics.
The engine- The puny 1.0 TSI is stonkingly fast on the highway and has not left me wanting for more power or speed. Very respectable numbers considering the size. It’s faster than my re-mapped 1.6 MPI on the Rapid. This was a 2 part solo drive and I enjoyed every bit of it.

The gearbox- I used the D mode for the most part and had no issues overtaking. Switched over to S mode only to help with eliminating the monotony at times. Gear shifts are clean and I haven’t felt it to be jerky. Again, my comparisons are to driving a manual tranny and not a DSG. I am pleased with how effortless this gearbox is, both in town and highway

Ride quality- Medium soft but yet firm is the only way for me to describe the ride. Almost sounds like I’m ordering a steak Ride quality is better than decent and seems like a good balance between comfort and sport. Here again, my comparison is limited to OEM set up of cars owned in the past and hence let’s not drag in performance parts to the picture.

Steering- Direct and weighs up decently at speeds. The Conti UC 6 may also have something to do with steering feedback and ride comfort, either ways, the package handles well on straights and twisties to satisfy 80% of the petro-head population.

Seats - could have been better. I’ve done the same 900 kms trip in my rapid with zero fatigue, but on the polo, at about the 400 kms mark, lower back and the butt cheeks begin to mildly complain. Not a deal breaker, but the aches do creep in. Mind you, by virtue of riding on the Duke 390’s plank for over 6 years, my butt is conditioned to being seated on hard wood for long periods of time . I am considering leather seat cover install soon. Will try to add additional bolstering in the lower back area to see if that helps

The breaks- They do their job. Also had a moment where ESP kicked in while driving through a fairly large puddle of water on the highway. Overall satisfied with how they perform at speed

Engine noise- Its there if you go looking for it. With the volume of the ICE turned up, engine noise is subdued.

Almost forgot about touching upon the mileage figures that some of us here may be interested in. Short story, 12.7 kmpl for day 1, 550 kms. Long story, I drove with a lead foot for close to 200 kms. Average dropped to 10 kmpl. The next 2 legs were done sedately, maintaining respectable highway speeds and hence the incremental increase in mileage. I’ve never had to refuel doing this route in the past but this time, I did stop once for fuel. Range is about 450 kms on a full tank with a mix of spirited and sedate driving. I am sure another 50 to 80 kms can be wrung out of this motor, easily.
The next days driving, post inspection/service at VW, avg mileage has improved. Got 14 kmpl. This has a lot to do with me settling down from the initial euphoria rather than any tweaks at the service Center. They did however mention that existing customers get over 16 kmpl on highway runs. I believe them. It’s possible, if you have in-imaginable amounts of will power to resist them prancing ponies under the hood.

Other updates:
1. Completed my 1k service appointment yesterday. Got this done in VW Muvatupuzha, Kerala.
2. I’ve always had a gripe with the stock horn set-up. The Bangalore service Center did not have/ or commit to the feasibility/availability of the missing horn. Thankfully, the folks at VW in Kerala installed the missing low tone horn for me. I could not be happier! Costs about 3k but absolutely worth it, for me. Warranty intact.
3. As stated in my previous posts, I have gotten too used to the reverse cam on the Rapid and continue to struggle a bit with the Polo. While the EVM VW folks have asked me to come in on Monday for install of reverse cam, I have second thoughts about the quality of the display/lense. I will sleep over this one before taking the plunge. More to come.

In the meantime, since I am currently in Cochin, I’d like to hear from fellow Bhpians about possible leads to help with leather seat covers and reverse cam installation. I am not familiar with the landscape here and any pointers will be much appreciated. Expected to remain here for a couple of months. I don’t think I will wait that long to get these jobs done in Bangalore. TIA

Last edited by Endless.... : 10th January 2021 at 09:20.
Endless.... is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 18:44   #186
BHPian

After a long wait and after changing 2 VW dealers due to various reasons, on 8th Jan 2021, I took delivery of my VW Polo 1.0 GT TSI.

Now see what I got, in a car driven less than 40 km.

I had filled fuel worth RS 2000 (HP Power) from a pump from where I was filling fuel for almost 3 years. After I reach the next traffic signal this popped up.

I called VW service centre and also roadside assistance. They said not available today since Sunday. WOW!

Finally got a chance to speak to one of their technicians after I make 4-5 calls. He had asked me to drive home slowly and they will send a roadside assistance tomorrow to check what it would be.

I was about to go to a place which was around 80km one way and this happened after I crossed around 10-15 km from my home. I had to cancel the trip and come back. I was with my family including 2 small children.

Interesting enough, when I popped open the bonnet I saw a brown coloured liquid in multiple places. That smells like grease, but initially, I got a shock while seeing that thinking its the engine oil.

But upon a detailed check, I found out the brown liquid was present under the windshield at both ends. Have a look at the photos.

Other than this I did not notice anything. Anyone could advise?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210110-16.06.14.jpeg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210110-16.06.14-1.jpeg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210110-16.06.14-2.jpeg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210110-16.06.14-3.jpeg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210110-16.06.14-4.jpeg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210110-16.06.14-5.jpeg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210110-16.06.14-6.jpeg  

igemini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 19:02   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
Got 14 kmpl. This has a lot to do with me settling down from the initial euphoria rather than any tweaks at the service Center. They did however mention that existing customers get over 16 kmpl on highway runs. I believe them. It’s possible, if you have in-imaginable amounts of will power to resist them prancing ponies under the hood.
I've seen my FE vary from 8 to 20. That's right. In dense city traffic, the engine just gulps petrol at idle. The fall in FE figures at idle is just insane. Spirited driving in traffic laden highways of Haryana has resulted in a FE of 14 for me. Punjab highways are almost traffic free and the FE I got there cruising at 80-90 was 20+. The engine basically gulps gas when you're accelerating often, it's an efficient cruiser. Given the acceleration available on tap, I'm not complaining.

This engine reaches silly speeds very quickly and I try to keep that in check. The only fun I have is with accelerating, open highways leave little scope for that.
RoadMonkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 21:59   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
After a long wait and after changing 2 VW dealers due to various reasons, on 8th Jan 2021, I took delivery of my VW Polo 1.0 GT TSI.
That's really shocking in a brand new car, engine oil leaking is possible(even that's rare) but the oil reaching all those places, that's seems really weird. Write an email to volkswagen or call the customer support so that they are also in the loop, something is really wrong with the car, or maybe there might be something else.

At the service center talk directly to the manager and ask for the contact details of the hire ups and let them know of this issue as well. Don't leave the car and ask them to fix it in front of you.
Old 11th January 2021, 08:17   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
That's really shocking in a brand new car, engine oil leaking is possible(even that's rare) but the oil reaching all those places, that's seems really weird. Write an email to volkswagen or call the customer support so that they are also in the loop, something is really wrong with the car, or maybe there might be something else.

At the service center talk directly to the manager and ask for the contact details of the hire ups and let them know of this issue as well. Don't leave the car and ask them to fix it in front of you.
I have checked that in detail. That is not engine oil nor there is any leakage to my eyes. But the check engine light still remains. From the owners manual, it seems like a problem with the oxygen sensor / catalytic converter problem.

Nonetheless, I have already escalated that to the service centre and also to Volkswagen customer care by call and also by email with those photos.
They have assured to send me their team by today to check the issue as I have insisted to check the car only in my presence.

But by any means, this is not acceptable on a brand new car. The earlier car I was using went to the service centre only for the scheduled maintenance and for nothing else. So even my family is quite irritated about it as it is a brand new car.

Let's see. I will keep that posted here.
igemini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 09:11   #190

Quote:
Did over 900 kms in the last 2 days. Here’s a quick update on highway manners and other related metrics.
The engine- The puny 1.0 TSI is stonkingly fast on the highway and has not left me wanting for more power or speed. Very respectable numbers considering the size. It’s faster than my re-mapped 1.6 MPI on the Rapid. This was a 2 part solo drive and I enjoyed every bit of it.

The gearbox- I used the D mode for the most part and had no issues overtaking. Switched over to S mode only to help with eliminating the monotony at times. Gear shifts are clean and I haven’t felt it to be jerky. Again, my comparisons are to driving a manual tranny and not a DSG. I am pleased with how effortless this gearbox is, both in town and highway

Ride quality- Medium soft but yet firm is the only way for me to describe the ride. Almost sounds like I’m ordering a steak Ride quality is better than decent and seems like a good balance between comfort and sport. Here again, my comparison is limited to OEM set up of cars owned in the past and hence let’s not drag in performance parts to the picture.

Steering- Direct and weighs up decently at speeds. The Conti UC 6 may also have something to do with steering feedback and ride comfort, either ways, the package handles well on straights and twisties to satisfy 80% of the petro-head population.

Seats - could have been better. I’ve done the same 900 kms trip in my rapid with zero fatigue, but on the polo, at about the 400 kms mark, lower back and the butt cheeks begin to mildly complain. Not a deal breaker, but the aches do creep in. Mind you, by virtue of riding on the Duke 390’s plank for over 6 years, my butt is conditioned to being seated on hard wood for long periods of time . I am considering leather seat cover install soon. Will try to add additional bolstering in the lower back area to see if that helps

The breaks- They do their job. Also had a moment where ESP kicked in while driving through a fairly large puddle of water on the highway. Overall satisfied with how they perform at speed

Engine noise- Its there if you go looking for it. With the volume of the ICE turned up, engine noise is subdued.

Almost forgot about touching upon the mileage figures that some of us here may be interested in. Short story, 12.7 kmpl for day 1, 550 kms. Long story, I drove with a lead foot for close to 200 kms. Average dropped to 10 kmpl. The next 2 legs were done sedately, maintaining respectable highway speeds and hence the incremental increase in mileage. I’ve never had to refuel doing this route in the past but this time, I did stop once for fuel. Range is about 450 kms on a full tank with a mix of spirited and sedate driving. I am sure another 50 to 80 kms can be wrung out of this motor, easily.
The next days driving, post inspection/service at VW, avg mileage has improved. Got 14 kmpl. This has a lot to do with me settling down from the initial euphoria rather than any tweaks at the service Center. They did however mention that existing customers get over 16 kmpl on highway runs. I believe them. It’s possible, if you have in-imaginable amounts of will power to resist them prancing ponies under the hood.

Other updates:
1. Completed my 1k service appointment yesterday. Got this done in VW Muvatupuzha, Kerala.
2. I’ve always had a gripe with the stock horn set-up. The Bangalore service Center did not have/ or commit to the feasibility/availability of the missing horn. Thankfully, the folks at VW in Kerala installed the missing low tone horn for me. I could not be happier! Costs about 3k but absolutely worth it, for me. Warranty intact.
3. As stated in my previous posts, I have gotten too used to the reverse cam on the Rapid and continue to struggle a bit with the Polo. While the EVM VW folks have asked me to come in on Monday for install of reverse cam, I have second thoughts about the quality of the display/lense. I will sleep over this one before taking the plunge. More to come.

In the meantime, since I am currently in Cochin, I’d like to hear from fellow Bhpians about possible leads to help with leather seat covers and reverse cam installation. I am not familiar with the landscape here and any pointers will be much appreciated. Expected to remain here for a couple of months. I don’t think I will wait that long to get these jobs done in Bangalore. TIA
Hi all,

I have been following this topic and thread keenly as I plan to book Polo soon. One thing I found lacking is Reverse Camera which is available in all competing cars in this segment. However one of the dealers told me that additional fitting of the same has been stopped as its giving trouble and
customer feedback is negative.

What is the expert advice? What is the feedback of owners who have it fitted as an accessory from dealer/outside vendors? Does it interfere with anything else of music system (inside which one end of wiring is fitted).?

Would appreciate a reply. Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 11:15   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchetd View Post
Hi all,

I have been following this topic and thread keenly as I plan to book Polo soon. One thing I found lacking is Reverse Camera which is available in all competing cars in this segment. However one of the dealers told me that additional fitting of the same has been stopped as its giving trouble and
customer feedback is negative.

What is the expert advice? What is the feedback of owners who have it fitted as an accessory from dealer/outside vendors? Does it interfere with anything else of music system (inside which one end of wiring is fitted).?

Would appreciate a reply. Thanks
I just finished installing reverse cam at the VW dealer. Costs 9.5k and does not hamper warranty. The camera is not part of the VW parts bin. An external vendor came in with the camera and installed at the dealership. The camera is unbranded but does a decent job. If done outside, the same piece will cost half the price but you stand to void your warranty. Hope this helps.
Endless.... is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 12:13   #192
BHPian

Quote:
I have checked that in detail. That is not engine oil nor there is any leakage to my eyes. But the check engine light still remains. From the owners manual, it seems like a problem with the oxygen sensor / catalytic converter problem..
I had this same issue in my brand new Octavia 1.8TSI at 200 kms on odo in 2015. The check engine light came ON and on scan it was the oxygen sensor in the exhaust gone bad. The part was not available in India and took almost 30 days to arrive from Czech. Till then car was grounded and i was given a (very used/abused) Superb as a spare. After fixing the new sensor, no issue.

Currently I am looking to buy a small car for city usage as replacement for my baleno CVT. Some how I never got adjusted to the non returning/recentering steering of Baleno and sold it. Now looking for a manual. The huyndais are ruled out (i10,i20 and Venue) after TD.. Still in the list is Polo and I will make the final call after Altroz turbo launch. Being a VAG car user since 2010 including first gen Polo, i found myself intermediately at home in a Polo. Okay with lack of features because i rarely use most of the so called features. Only bone of contention is the reversing camera which I am negotiating with the dealer.
Old 11th January 2021, 12:24   #193
BHPian

Quote:
I just finished installing reverse cam at the VW dealer. Costs 9.5k and does not hamper warranty. The camera is not part of the VW parts bin. An external vendor came in with the camera and installed at the dealership. The camera is unbranded but does a decent job. If done outside, the same piece will cost half the price but you stand to void your warranty. Hope this helps.
Is it 9.5K including the screen?
Old 11th January 2021, 12:53   #194
BHPian

UPDATE: I have just come back from the VW service centre. As I was suspecting the brown liquid was GREASE. A lot of it. I don't know why VW was putting that much grease into the engine bay and to the body panels.

Somehow, it was present in almost all new cars. My sales executive showed that in multiple new cars including the ones at the showroom (Polo & Vento). So I am convinced.

Comes to the "Engine Warning" light. According to them, this was mainly due to the fact that when the car arrives from the factory it will be filled with good quality BS6 fuel. But in Kochi at least, the quality of the fuel is not that good unless in some pumps. They have scanned the car for any error codes and fuel quality was the only error. They have adjusted/erased the error.

Now the car is back in fully functional condition.

However, the "Engine Warning Light" along with the siting of this much grease caused some turmoil as the car was brand new.

Anyway, all is well at the end. Hopefully, it will remain that way.

I hope this may help someone who was/is/will be in similar condition.

Last edited by igemini : 11th January 2021 at 12:54.
igemini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 14:33   #195
BHPian

Quote:
I hope this may help someone who was/is/will be in similar condition.
That is some good news, i am really happy that the issue got fixed, having such an experience in a brand new car is really disappointing and heartbreaking, i have had such experience and i can understand the pain.

But issue coming up due to fuel is still suspicious, in my 7 years of ownership of Polo i have filled fuel from all kinds of pumps and never faced any issue, just keep an out for a while and enjoy your car.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed