Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2020, 09:50   #46
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Like before, fuel and tyre pressure information is pasted on the inside of the fuel flap. However, there is no “Petrol” marking on the fuel cap. Be sure to tell the fuel pump attendant what to fill. The wrong fuel will DESTROY this complicated engine:
Beautiful review, as always.

Just a few questions that came to my mind:

1) What was the fuel grade you used while on TD and for the duration of time it was with you?

2) the fuel lid prominently says RON95 fuel. I am not sure how "low" it can be taken to. What is the company's official stand? 95 RON is HARD if not impossible to find. Given this is a 1L puny block asked to do overtime, how sensitive is it to fuel grades? We dont want failures and warranties rejected due to "BAD FUEL"

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 6th August 2020 at 09:54.
lapis_lazuli is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 13:22   #47
BHPian

This is so overwhelming to see a car which is essentially a decade old platform but is still relevant in our market and also the one with best handling & ride combination. If I was in the market for a second sedan, I would have bought it eyes closed. As has been mine personal experience, that the gremlins Skoda is associated with, is at least not present in my city, the dealer here is really good. I did took a look on the new TSi when I went for my annual servicing and I will agree - boy this thing’s a hooligan on open roads! Icing on the cake is- it comes with a manual, which we enthusiasts always wanted in the vw gt avatar.

Here’s a picture of the white wolf in sheep’s clothing

Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-fa6af8492fc642a4857e485f319334b0.jpeg
Notice the tinted windows of the TSi when compared to Superb

Last edited by sachin_cs : 6th August 2020 at 13:24. Reason: Grammar
sachin_cs is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 14:08   #48
BHPian

I'm personally a little uncomfortable with Manufacturers adopting the Puny 1.0l engines with Manual transmissions to comply with newer norms. Feels like we are going back instead of moving forward. IMO Getting more power out of a small engine makes it complex and less reliable. The Rapid/Vento deserve a modern 1.5 TSI engine with DSG. Both cars look a generation old now inside and out and beg for a face-lift in this competitive age.
Old 6th August 2020, 16:22   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Driving the 1.0L TSI MT

TSI motor gets a cover with no branding.
This is something I don't like in the new 2.0 TSI engine in the superb as well.
Old 6th August 2020, 16:29   #50
BHPian

Great review as usual by the BHP team! Now that I am driving one, I echo all the statements made by Aditya & GTO.

The Rapid TSI needs to be driven to experience the thrill it gives you! If you are one of those, who will choose flair over ruggedness, Looks over performance, Features over Fun then City or Verna for you. No doubts there. Rapid is a pocket rocket with a great engine, superb ride quality and built like a tank.

The Rapid Rider version is the energy bar that you look forward to for those workouts The money that you would save makes it a super VFM without skimping on a lot of features making it a compelling buy"

Meanwhile few questions in the thread I stumbled upon and can provide my thoughts:

Average: The efficiency I get is around 12-14 in the city for a light foot and if driven as per the gear recommendations by the speedo. FYI, I have been using the regular fuel. The highway has not been tested effectively but a friend of mine claims 17.5 on the highway!

Comparison to the Ford 1.5 TDI: The turbo lag is very minimal on the 1.5 TDCI in comparison to the TSI and the refinement levels for a Diesel mill is brilliant. The high revs are marginally better on the 1.5 TDCI. My thoughts penned here after having owned an Aspire Sports 1.5 TDCI. However, the burst of power after the 2K rev range is addictive! TSI is super here and does better compared to the Ford mill

The Headlights: It is poor no second thoughts here, so upgraded to an Osram All-season 100/90W 12V H4 using a relay. It is better than stock and does the job for me if not wonderful!

Tyres: It demands for an upgrade if you are not an “average Deepak” as mentioned by GTO, I upgraded to a 16-inch clubber with Yoko Blue Earth 205/50 and it has done great wonders to the ride quality and feels more connected. Spoiler: Warranty would be void if you up size beyond the 195 section. For reference, I own a Rapid Rider and the below article by a website highlights a few mods that I did to my Rider.

https://www.91wheels.com/news/skoda-...rider-modified
Sabrish is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 08:01   #51
BHPian

Hope Skoda brings back Fabia with this engine and an automatic transmission.

Sub 4 metre, and 1.0 litre engine will provide tax benefits, that can translate to lower price/more goodies.

If Skoda Fabia can somehow undercut Swift/Grand i10 Nios the way Rapid undercut Verna/Ciaz, we may just see more Europeans on the road
Voodooblaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 09:47   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooblaster View Post
Hope Skoda brings back Fabia with this engine and an automatic transmission.
Fabia is dead and buried in India. There seems to be a sense of realisation in the joint VW-Skoda company that Skoda is actually their more premium brand in the eyes of the Indian customer. And, Fabia is Polo. They are or were the same car. There is no way you’d expect a Polo to compete with the likes of Swift. It is a full segment higher and sells against the i20, Baleno, Jazz and the lower variants of the likes of Ecosport, Nexon and Venue. Let’s be clear, the Rapid Rider is an aberration. A clear attempt to break the accepted normal. Will be unfair to expect the mechanically identical Fabia to be another 1-1.5L cheaper.

Last edited by ampere : 9th August 2020 at 16:47. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 7th August 2020, 11:11   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

Fabia is Polo. There is no way you’d expect a Polo to compete with the likes of Swift. It is a full segment higher and sells against the i20, Baleno, Jazz and the lower variants of the likes of Ecosport, Nexon and Venue. Let’s be clear, the Rapid Rider is an aberration. A clear attempt to break the accepted normal. Will be unfair to expect the mechanically identical Fabia to be another 1-1.5L cheaper.
The ex showroom price of swift zxi+ is 7.64 lacs in Kerala. Rapid base variant 7.49 lacs

Fabia doesn't need to be cheaper than the swift base variant. If fabia base variant is priced similarly to or slightly higher than say, Swift VXI(mid variant) then it may succeed.

Besides the pricing difference of hatches and premium hatches are very slim, and in many cases they overlap

As you rightly pointed Skoda is considered to be a premium brand. So people may not mind forking over 25k more (nothing in EMI terms) than say swift/nios etc

Let's hope Skoda makes more such aberrations.

Unless Skoda manages sales in at least 5 digits , long term survival of the group will be in trouble

OEM's should always remember that more cars on road is additional income in form of spares, consumables (co branded engine oil/coolant/brake fluids), auxiliaries, commission from finance/insurance etc, besides free advertising
Voodooblaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 11:25   #54
BHPian

Excellent review Aditya, as always. Was a pleasure to read.
If only, The Skoda A.S.S would improve, many would gain confidence to dive in for such an excellent car.
Old 8th August 2020, 21:20   #55
BHPian

Today got a reason to take the car out for a drive, it is an absolute delight on open stretches. It does 100 kmph like its nothing and the mid range punch is too addictive.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-a57e54fe0a81463193969e964678c5e6.jpeg  

Pastey93 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 00:08   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
2) the fuel lid prominently says RON95 fuel. I am not sure how "low" it can be taken to. What is the company's official stand? 95 RON is HARD if not impossible to find. Given this is a 1L puny block asked to do overtime, how sensitive is it to fuel grades? We dont want failures and warranties rejected due to "BAD FUEL"
Following is what Skoda Rapid 2020 TSi (Indian version) user / owners manual says.

Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-10683.png

Dealership here in Kolkata verbally confirmed, using standard BS6 petrol won't void warranty.

I guess our normal petrol will lower the power & increase fuel consumption

Edit:

I think IOCL premium fuel is RON 95. Kindly refer to following documents.

1. Indian Oil Fuel Tech Data (Refer MG91-Regular & MG95-Premium)

Someone with knowledge in this please shade some light as what RON fuel is our normal & premium?

Last edited by NaXal : 9th August 2020 at 00:36.
NaXal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 04:22   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
I think IOCL premium fuel is RON 95. Kindly refer to following documents.

1. Indian Oil Fuel Tech Data (Refer MG91-Regular & MG95-Premium)

Someone with knowledge in this please shade some light as what RON fuel is our normal & premium?
I guess the premium fuel is RON 95, found it on this link. https://www.transportpolicy.net/stan...-and-gasoline/
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-8594349c520c45d9b59ce85a138ead83.jpeg  

Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-39a03a9559e641fbb65a7026bfdb0ed1.jpeg  

Last edited by SDP : 9th August 2020 at 05:06. Reason: Fixed broken quote
Pastey93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 11:33   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
A very senior and trusted person, heading the sales team there since a decade.
A straightforward negative from him. The same feedback as his juniors. Skoda isn't producing "Onyx White". He can't provide which isn't made !!

I have seen this frustrating attitude from Ford also, when others are selling truck load of stuff & you end up with a hot cake, shouldn't you ride the wave to get as many numbers possible?

Ford also left so many disappointed with different EcoSports variants being produced once a blue moon & expecting customers to wait 6 months for that or their Automatic Figo/Aspire/Freestyle availability

Here too, Skoda Kolkata doesn't even have a time line or if Onyx White would return to production at all
Old 9th August 2020, 12:43   #59
BHPian

I'm so very tempted to replace my 2016 Baleno petrol with the Rapid TSI. To me, the Ambition variant is the one with needed features. But it's a good 2.5 lakh more than the rider+.

That much money gets you very close to the new Honda City V variant.

I'll probably wait for the discounts on Ambition next year maybe.

Really wanted to test drive this car, could not due to the covid-19 situation and thanks to Aditya, GTO and all other fellow Bhpians for providing review.
Old 9th August 2020, 12:51   #60
BHPian

Fellow Rapid Rider owners, are you facing any issue with the HU while playing music via Bluetooth? The HU recognises the phone and displays the song name but doesn’t play audio. The call connection works well but only face issue with playing music. It’s too frustrating, please help.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review-b8c30cf707bf4344a38419c7b2d9831e.jpeg  

Pastey93 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed