Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2021, 09:40   #1336
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by madugulagopi View Post
My major concern with Harrier are the biggest being reported by owners across all the forums and FB groups. I can live with the niggles around the infotainment system but the issues being reported around the braking system and the sunroof leakages is worrying me more. On the other hand for Hector most of the issues are around mileage which I'm okay with but there is no sight of delivery in the near future. So I'm in two minds on how to proceed
People had reported majority issues with the BS4 Harriers as well but my BS4 Harrier (Feb 2020) has been completely niggle free so far except for a single Infotainment blackout that started working properly quickly after a reset. There are a number of BS6 owners on the forum that are enjoying their rides.

Now this is my hypothesis and I don't have any data to back it up and I agree that certain manufacturers are more prone to niggles. The hypothesis is that Tata/VW/Skoda/Mahindra owners on an avg are more of enthusiastic nature compared to other manufacturers. Coupled with low sales volume, any issue with these vehicles gets blown out of proportion as these owners easily find ways and are interested to highlight the issues whereas the general public using other manufacturers either doesn't pay much attention to small issues or usually don't have ways to highlight these.
This is because when I talk to my friends who have MS, Hyundai, Honda, MG etc. They tell me small things that bother them which they would have highlighted if they had a more enthusiastic nature and had access to an online forum. Case in point -
  • Rear AC not blowing cold air in Seltos
  • laggy touchscreen of the Hector
  • myriad issues with Hyundai cars, also have a thread running
  • my own 4th gen City's infotainment occasionally hangs when using bluetooth telephony

You see some of these issues can also be deal - breakers but may be they didn't get enough limelight as initial 'general' owners didn't feel too Much about them but as BHPians came across them we got to know of these. The gist is there are issues with every vehicle. With some, issues get highlighted more maybe because of the type of owners and fan following on youtube. Some issues reported may also be due to owner's own wrongdoing who is trying to take advantage by showing himself as innocent. Again, just a hypothesis.
If you like the Harrier Automatic, get it. It is an amazing vehicle. The Hector has its own strengths but has its own weaknesses as well, Same is the case with the Harrier. Either way you won't be going wrong! Just make sure with whatever vehicle you got there are no fishy behaviour by the dealer like passing on an old vehicle, be vigilant and you will be fine I guess.

Last edited by Candy$Cars : 21st December 2021 at 09:47.
Candy$Cars is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 10:09   #1337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My major concern with Harrier are the biggest being reported by owners across all the forums and FB groups. I can live with the niggles around the infotainment system but the issues being reported around the braking system and the sunroof leakages is worrying me more. On the other hand for Hector most of the issues are around mileage which I'm okay with but there is no sight of delivery in the near future. So I'm in two minds on how to proceed
This being Harrier thread you should expect a certain response with regards to your questions. Anyhow please search through our forum as well as Facebook owners groups if you have concerns.

Owners who have had problems including water leak and was made to run from pillar to post may as well recommend you to buy this vehicle, if you happen to have the time and resources to deal with a Tata, then yes.

It is a seller's market, good things come to those who wait

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd December 2021 at 15:23. Reason: Capitalising car names.
Old 21st December 2021, 12:49   #1338

Mod note: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
People had reported majority issues with the BS4 Harriers as well but my BS4 Harrier (Feb 2020) has been completely niggle free so far except for a single Infotainment blackout that started working properly quickly after a reset. There are a number of BS6 owners on the forum that are enjoying their rides.
=======
Just make sure with whatever vehicle you got there are no fishy behaviour by the dealer like passing on an old vehicle, be vigilant and you will be fine I guess.
I really like your hypothesis and thought process

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st December 2021 at 13:06.
Old 21st December 2021, 13:17   #1339

Quote:
Hey @madugulagopi I have not heard or noticed any braking system issue so far, within my friends group we have 3 Harriers (All BS6). I have heard about infotainment freezing issues while using maps (when connected to Android Auto or Apple CarPlay).

I am not sure which variant you are looking at but if you are ok to let go auto dimming IRVM, then you can choose a variant without sunroof. I don't think there is any other major feature difference between XZXZA & XZA+.
Old 23rd December 2021, 13:16   #1340
BHPian

I am observing a peculiar issue(?) in my newly delivered Harrier XTA+, would request fellow Harrier owners to chime in please.

There is an extremely mild noise emanating from the dashboard, even when the vehicle has ignition turned off (and has been in this state for quite some time). In fact, the whooshing kind of sound can only be heard when the vehicle is in 'ignition off' state and in an extremely noise free environment with windows and doors closed.

I took the vehicle to TATA service centre, they did acknowledge that there is a sound, but were clueless on the origin. The closest guess they came up with is of the 'Infotainment system FAN' as the likely source. Interestingly, I, along with the TASS service head checked a couple of new Harrier automatics, and were able to hear the same sound in both as well.

I think I am more intrigued than worried, if anyone can throw some light on this, please do.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd December 2021 at 15:27. Reason: pls > please, adding full stops at the end of sentences.
Old 23rd December 2021, 17:48   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
The closest guess they came up with is of the 'Infotainment system FAN' as the likely source. Interestingly, I, along with the TASS service head checked a couple of new Harrier automatics, and were able to hear the same sound in both as well.
That's indeed a cooling fan inside the infotainment cluster. This starts as soon as you unlock and enter and switches off 8 minutes after the engine is shut and door is opened.
beast_within is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 18:45   #1342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
I am observing a peculiar issue(?) in my newly delivered Harrier XTA+, would request fellow Harrier owners to chime in please.
===========
I think I am more intrigued than worried, if anyone can throw some light on this, please do.
+1 same sound in my Sept 21 Harrier and reported to service center during first service, got the same response as infotainment fan and they are seeking more information from the TML engineering team.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd December 2021 at 18:56. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Bipin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 11:32   #1343
BHPian

For members concerned about Harrier brakes-

Let me (Harrier XZA+ DT Aug 2021) confirm the brakes are excellent. In a new Harrier you will feel the bite less for first 500kms but as car settles down the brakes have a great bite.

Overall one good thing about Harrier that I have felt is the more kms you munch on it, the better coordination is building up across parts. Harrier just gets better everyday. The car drives like a better synchronised machine than day 1 and is getting better.

The biggest challenge with Harrier is when after 7-10 years I would upgrade there seems no potential car in logical next upgrade segment that would satisfy my requirements. Automatically it would boil down to either another Harrier/Safari or big German SUVs. Fortuner ride quality is bad.
steadfast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 12:31   #1344
BHPian

Took delivery of an XZA+ harrier. Bought the car in hometown and took the car on a road trip to our current place of residence (600km). Excellent on road. I do feel steering is a little light at highway speeds. Nothing bad, just something that will take time to get used to.

Experienced the famed Tata niggle. Driver side seatbelt sensor was not functioning from about an hour into the drive. The icon was on and so was the beeping. Beeping stopped after 2 sets. But it would start whenever the car was turned off and on. We finally got to our destination, and when we started the car again after 2 hours, the problem was gone.
professor.march is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 16:02   #1345
BHPian

Writing back after a gap of 4 months. Last time I wrote here, I had gotten the ECU & DEF tank replaced during my 1st service under warranty.

Now, at the time of my second service, the service advisor apparently observed a leakage in the dry shaft (that aids the steering apparently). That too had to be replaced under warranty. It took about a week's time, but the dry shaft was replaced. Positive aspect on this being that the service advisor suggested this replacement from the general checkup of the car. This was not something I had complained about. Negative being that this is the 3rd major part needing replacement in my 6 month old Harrier XZA+.

Since then however, I have been on a 2100 kms road trip in the harrier. The first real long trip we have have made as a family in the car. The feedback of the car from my family members was surprising rather good. They seemed to feel less tiring in-spite of spending long hours in the car during the days (in comparison to my last car (Skoda Rapid)). The car handles all sorts of roads with easy and the occupants feel less of the harsh road conditions certainly. For me, the drive is a pleasure too.

All in all, inspite of the quality issues I have faced (I guess I am unlucky since I haven't heard anyone else having faced such issues as I have), I am still quite happy with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm2021 View Post
All in all, inspite of the quality issues I have faced (I guess I am unlucky since I haven't heard anyone else having faced such issues as I have), I am still quite happy with the car.
One could argue, I am stuck with my purchase and so am inclined to be biased. The argument is certainly valid, I must admit.

But its certainly not that I am not enjoying the drive. It is a good package, has its pit falls but overall, I feel the positives outweigh the negatives.

Last edited by GTO : 31st December 2021 at 08:54. Reason: Merging back to back posts
ssm2021 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 01:22   #1346
BHPian

Hi All, after a lot of deliberations and thought I have gone ahead and booked a Harrier XZ+. Will be my first car, and have decided to take a bet on the After Sales Service and reliability of Tata. So far - the experience has been on par with other brands.

Did a lot of deliberations to arrive at Kushaq, Compass, and Harrier as the final contenders.

While I loved the driving dynamics of Kushaq, it didn't seem particularly attractive for ~19 Lakhs OTR for the value it provides.

In the end it was a real tussle between Jeep Compass and Harrier. After a lot of deliberations involving excel modeling, Compass limited didn't seem to justify the premium. Model S seemed to be more rationale choice for the features on offer - however the budget was a stretch.

Have received the following offer from the dealer and wanted to check if I would be able to knock few more from the dealer before delivery happens.

Also want to confirm one thing - I haven't received any confirmation message (SMS/Email) from Tata to verify my booking, so not sure if the dealership has actually placed my order yet or not. Is there a way to verify? Need to know because I have bargained (seemingly) good discount on year end offer and don't want to lose out because of dealer's trickery.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20211230_234400.jpg  

CarBorne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 08:53   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBorne View Post
Also want to confirm one thing - I haven't received any confirmation message (SMS/Email) from Tata to verify my booking, so not sure if the dealership has actually placed my order yet or not. Is there a way to verify? Need to know because I have bargained (seemingly) good discount on year end offer and don't want to lose out because of dealer's trickery.
Congratulations on the booking!
Your sales rep should give you a booking receipt. The receipt should have the booking amount you may have paid and the variant that is booked.
ssm2021 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 16:14   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm2021 View Post
Congratulations on the booking!
Your sales rep should give you a booking receipt. The receipt should have the booking amount you may have paid and the variant that is booked.
Yes I did get a booking receipt from them, however I remember having received a SMS confirmation from Tata for my booking. This time however there is no such confirmation. This is getting me a little paranoid, as the dealer was pushing me for an existing car in their stockyard and I am pushing for a different shade with the current year's manufacturing to avail the year end discounts. Therefore, looking for avenues to confirm if the booking indeed has been placed.

Also, want to pick the brains of forum members on how does the exchange discount works. Tata is offering year end exchange bonus of INR 40,000/- plus the value of the car. I am getting 50k as car's value from online portals, while the dealer has quoted 23k. So should I push for 40k (exchange bonus) plus 50k =90k as total exchange value?
Old 31st December 2021, 16:25   #1349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBorne View Post
Yes I did get a booking receipt from them, however I remember having received a SMS confirmation from Tata for my booking.
I personally do not recall any SMS notifications coming from TATA (may be would have received an email from Customer care thanking for the booking made with TML) when I booked the car (in Dec 2020).
All I received was a dealer receipt. However, the dealer gets the VIN of the allocated car. This he had shared with me a week later. This is good enough confirmation for the booking.

Regarding exchange bonus, you can avail the discount of 40,000 from the dealer and still able to sell your vehicle outside dealership. This is what I managed.

Cheers !!
Rolling_Stock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 16:59   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling_Stock View Post
Regarding exchange bonus, you can avail the discount of 40,000 from the dealer and still able to sell your vehicle outside dealership. This is what I managed.
Thanks Rolling_Stock. Would love to learn as to how did you manage to do that?

To qualify my situation, I have the following discounts:

1. Insurance: INR 20k (matching my outside quote)
2. Dealer plus cash discount from Tata: INR 40k
3. Exchange bonus: INR 40k plus value of the car (23K as per their offer)

The third point is where the issue is - I have quote of INR 50k from online portals for value of car, while tata has quoted INR 23K. If I look at the offer from tata as 40K+23K, it is better than 50K. However, if I only consider value of car, I see it as taking a hit of 27K. So want to check if I should push for 40k plus 50k as the total exchange value?

The car to be exchanged in questions is a 15 year old WagonR with NoC from RTO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks