Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2022, 11:56   #1426
MaG
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Surprising feedback. I own a May 2020 Harrier and my showroom experience regarding sales & service has been impeccable. I own a Hyundai and a Maruti as well and my comparison comes from there. Pl check again on the hard plastics as there is none on the dashboard. The hornpad is sad though I’ve made peace with it after owning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
I was torn between the Harrier and the XUV 7OO. I desperately wanted to book the Harrier as I am in love with the Evosique design, LR pedigree and the overall stance. My wife has never been a Tata fan, still I managed to convince her to have a look at the Harrier.

So we go on Staurday afternoon to the Dev Motors showroom near Symbiosis. I am met by one of the most unenthusiastic sales person. All that he did was give me a price list and mumbled about new features in XZA+. There was no enthusiasm to show me the car, explains features, positives... Still I managed to get my wife to sit in the car and first thing she said are plastics are pretty sad. Especially the dashboard. Hard plastics all around. It definitely needed soft touch plastics. Even the horn button was sad. So unfortunately I was not able to convince my wife to look at this car.

Contrast this to the Mahindra showroom where the sales person was well informed, eager to make the sale and explained everything in detail. The interior of the XUV too looks modern and rich ( I personally like the dials on Harrier) but the screen is definitely a wow. Took a long drive on the highway which is where we will be using the car primarily. Again all features explained.

We ended up leaving the showroom having booked the XUV 7OO. Sad the way sales and after sales are being handled by Tata.
MaG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 08:42   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroydsilva View Post
On the official Harrier review thread I see some people are getting deliveries in 4-6 weeks. Was it a mistake to book the car in a tier 3 city? Should I just cancel and book it in Bangalore instead?
Tell them that you are thinking to cancel the booking and see if it makes them take any action. It is right that in Bangalore deliveries are being done in 4-5 weeks and Harrier a manufactured in Feb 2022. I booked a Harrier on 8th Feb and got delivery on 8th March. Exactly 4 weeks that too without any follow-ups. Pretty smooth. You can probably book in Bangalore.

Last edited by ambujlal : 28th March 2022 at 08:51.
ambujlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 12:16   #1428
BHPian

I have already told them on Friday that I will cancel the booking if they fail to give some information in a few days. Patience is running out. Although, I don't want to discredit the SA. He seems to be trying his best. I just feel they are themselves left clueless due to lack of information. Worst case scenario, I will move the booking to KHT Bangalore where @theexperthand had a positive experience. Keeping fingers crossed.
elroydsilva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 09:38   #1429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroydsilva View Post
I have already told them on Friday that I will cancel the booking if they fail to give some information in a few days. Patience is running out. Although, I don't want to discredit the SA. He seems to be trying his best. I just feel they are themselves left clueless due to lack of information. Worst case scenario, I will move the booking to KHT Bangalore where @theexperthand had a positive experience. Keeping fingers crossed.

I can give you a couple of e-mail IDs of people in Tata if you can e-mail me at anoop<dot>anoopkumar<atherate>gmail<dot>com. You can try e-mailing them asking for any updates. When my car was allocated, but not despatched, I got the updates from them.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 29th March 2022 at 09:39.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 09:44   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I can give you a couple of e-mail IDs of people in Tata..

--Anoop
That would be super helpful. I will reach out to you.
Old 30th March 2022, 09:27   #1431
BHPian

Got a not-so-convincing response. Not convincing because, like I've mentioned earlier, there is no commitment on delivery date.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-tamo_response.png

I'm not sure what this "ranking" means. I doubt I'm first in line in entire Karnataka now. Feels like a silly way to pacify customers.

I don't have any experience in this domain but I feel Sales should not be so disconnected from Manufacturing.

Anyway, the wait continues.

I really appreciate @theexperthand for lending his "expert hand" and helping out with the contacts of the senior Sales staff. This definitely helped in getting some more traction.
Old 31st March 2022, 09:47   #1432
BHPian

The delays are surely to do with chip shortage. The fact that Shenzen is under lockdown DOES’NT help either. We are so dependent on global supply chain that any small disturbance has a cascading effect. Having said that there should be clear communication from the company and dealer.
BlackMambaXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 00:26   #1433
BHPian

How do I distinguish a pre 2020 facelift with a 2020 facelift version of the harrier. I am looking at a used harrier. The details on the site say Feb 2020 XZA+ dual tone.
I thought the facelift was introduced mid 2020 and sun roof was added to the facelift.
The car I am looking at says Feb 2020 but also has panoramic sunroof . Engine says kryotec 170.
Anything I am missing here ? Where do I find the vin for the car in the harrier. I can probably decide that.
Old 1st April 2022, 03:42   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
How do I distinguish a pre 2020 facelift with a 2020 facelift version of the harrier. I am looking at a used harrier. The details on the site say Feb 2020 XZA+ dual tone.
I thought the facelift was introduced mid 2020 and sun roof was added to the facelift.
The car I am looking at says Feb 2020 but also has panoramic sunroof . Engine says kryotec 170.
Anything I am missing here ? Where do I find the vin for the car in the harrier. I can probably decide that.
The one you are looking at is the facelifted one. Facelift got launched around feb 2020 only if i can recall correctly.
Best way to distinguish in terms of visual appeal, pre facelift Harrier has a silver skid plate in front and a silver applique on the skid plate on the rear bumper as well. Changed/updated to black in facelift 2020 model onwards.
Interior, easy to catch differences are panaromic sunroof. Presence of Auto dimming IRVM instead of manual one, 2 USB ports under the arm rest and for rear seat passengers rather than one. These are some of the difference if not all.
Highh5 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 09:59   #1435
BHPian

I took delivery of Harrier XZA+Dark in January. Update at 3600 kms -

1. Car handles high speeds very well. By high I mean upwards of 150 kmph too.

2. Avg comes out to be 11-12 in Delhi traffic and 14-15 on highways.

3. Infotainment system and instrument cluster went blank once while I was driving and restarting the car sorted it. Will get it checked in next service.

4. Got the first service done at 1700 kms and dealer left a scratch on the black paint. He has promised to sort it in the next service. (First service as per tata manual is 1-2 months or 1000-2000 kms)

5. Speakers at volume 3-6 are excellent and loud enough but more than that requires a bit of door damping.

6. No niggles till now. Everything works fine.

7. Keeping the car clean is a very very very difficult task. Black is like a magnet :(. But once its cleaned then it looks absolutely stunning.

8. Steering is very light at every speed. I am still getting used to it.

9. Braking is sufficient. No issues whatsoever.

10. Air conditioning is too too too good. I mean it chills the cabin so fast and the air is very cold. I have to reduce the fan speed even in a full sunlight driving condition. Its mind-blowing.

11. Wireless AA works fine. Only disadvantage is that you can't input a map location in your phone while AA is working. This has nothing to do with the car but with how AA has been built. Good part is that voice assistant works really well.

12. Cruise control - I have a Jetta and driving on cruise control is really smooth. Constant speed is maintained. In Harrier too the speed is maintained but I feel that car is continuously braking and accelerating to maintain that speed. I am able to notice it but I am not sure whether its just a feeling or its really happening. Back to back drive in Jetta never gives me that feeling.
Metallicar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 09:38   #1436
MaG
BHPian

New niggle in my May2021 recently 3rd free serviced Harrier:

Front left door bolt which attaches the door to the car body has failed and every time you open/close the door, there is a disturbing sound which the bolt makes. Utterly disappointed for such flaws in a almost new vehicle.
MaG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 12:11   #1437
BHPian

I am so happy I don't have to deal the wires anymore

TATA really skimped out on using a quality SoC for the infotainment system and didn't add wireless carplay till late 2021 that too with a price bump on the top spec variant.

Tired of plugging in the wire for apple carplay, I bought Carlinkit 3 CPC200-U2W-Plus from amazon US for $72 (~INR 5800). I am happy to report that it works well with R18 version of the infotainment system of my June '21 ZXA+

After the initial set-up it connects super quickly every time you enter the car, doesn't seem to have much lag in google maps or music apps. I just set it up last evening, will report back with more details later.

Product page - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZHCS8R3
Seller - Carlinkit Brand Store
moh1t is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 00:52   #1438
BHPian

Hello Team-BHP Members,

This is my first post in the community and I'm a newbie here.

I have booked the TATA HARRIER XZA+ DARK and currently awaiting delivery for the same, tentatively this April.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_4238.jpg

I had done the test drive twice deliberately as I believe while buying a car, the first test drive a potential buyer takes of the car is simply not enough to make a decision; the first time the buyer sits in the car they just understand the car they just cannot come to a conclusion as there are plenty of cons hidden which one can only decode after a calm second look. However, this may not be true every time as a car can be extremely good and be a "love at first sight" or it can be the rather opposite and one could completely scrap the idea of considering that car at once.

Anyways, getting to the point, I just loved the way the Harrier drove, felt robust, had a very nice pull and it definitely felt like a car with superior driving dynamics at least in SUV standards. Also, the looks of the Dark Edition flattered me and I was sold. Also was even more satisfied the second time I took it for a ride. The Sport Mode just goes bonkers with the performance.

Booked the car right away after the second drive.

Few Concerns:
1. As of now I'm quite skeptical about the final quality of the car in terms of fit and finish and also reliability-wise, as this is the first time I'm going for a TATA CAR.

2. Also I've heard TATA is giving only 1 Remote Key with the car due to chip shortage. Is this true?

3. The Harrier doesn’t get ALL 4 DISCS, Is it a deal-breaker when compared to the braking performance of other SUVs with ALL 4 DISCS?

4. The Harrier also doesn’t get TPMS, like what are you doing TATA?!?!. Any options to get this feature as Safari gets it. I just don’t like AFTERMARKET accessories due to poor fit, finish, and generic quality.

5. The infotainment in the Harrier is often addressed as slow and laggy, is it really such a big issue?

6. Apple Car Play doesn’t utilize the whole display, any OTA coming in near future?

7. Rear Camera quality seems to be low VGA type, any options to better up this as well?

Also if anyone wondering why I didn't consider XUV700, I did. It was my first bet, but the delivery period is in light years so XD.

I know as a newbie in this place, I'm asking lots of questions but hey, this is why I joined TEAM-BHP's helpful community in the first place.

Cheers,
bil.007
bil.007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 12:29   #1439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil.007 View Post

Few Concerns:
1. As of now I'm quite skeptical about the final quality of the car in terms of fit and finish and also reliability-wise, as this is the first time I'm going for a TATA CAR.

2. Also I've heard TATA is giving only 1 Remote Key with the car due to chip shortage. Is this true?

3. The Harrier doesn’t get ALL 4 DISCS, Is it a deal-breaker when compared to the braking performance of other SUVs with ALL 4 DISCS?

4. The Harrier also doesn’t get TPMS, like what are you doing TATA?!?!. Any options to get this feature as Safari gets it. I just don’t like AFTERMARKET accessories due to poor fit, finish, and generic quality.

5. The infotainment in the Harrier is often addressed as slow and laggy, is it really such a big issue?

6. Apple Car Play doesn’t utilize the whole display, any OTA coming in near future?

7. Rear Camera quality seems to be low VGA type, any options to better up this as well?

Also if anyone wondering why I didn't consider XUV700, I did. It was my first bet, but the delivery period is in light years so XD.

I know as a newbie in this place, I'm asking lots of questions but hey, this is why I joined TEAM-BHP's helpful community in the first place.

Cheers,
bil.007
I recently purchased a Harrier Dar XZ+ and these answers are from my experience so far:

1. No issues\rattles till date. Touchwood.
2. Tata was giving 2 remote keys till the end of March. No idea if there is any change now, but it seems unlikely.
3. Breaking is sufficient, though I would have loved to get 4 discs. Not a deal-breaker.
4. I think I saw an official Tata accessory, but not really sure about it. I plan to fit sensairy or something similar down the lane.
5. Different people have different expectations. Personally, I did not find it laggy.
6. No idea.
7. Again, I don't think there is an option to up the quality - should have been better, but the provided one is not too bad to live with.

Hope the answers help.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 15:52   #1440
BHPian

Gave up and cancelled my Harrier booking with Auto Matrix Udupi. It's been a tiring 2 months and no longer interested in going through a similar ordeal with another dealer. They just don't seem interested in selling the car. Even after escalation, no one contacted me. I used to follow up with the CRM every 5 days asking what happened to the billing date that they were going to promise. Either no response or they say "XXXXX will get in touch with you". I never heard from XXXXX. Today, I decided, I had had enough.

I plan to take a month or two to reconsider my priorities and see if it makes sense to book Harrier again with a dealer in Bangalore. Most probably I won't. Will be considering the new Tucson as an alternative considering the peace-of-mind factor involved. After a pleasant experience with my first car purchase which was a Hyundai, I just feel the Tata experience will be a major downgrade. This is, of course, a personal opinion, but I cannot just ignore the fact that my first impression with Tata was already horrible.

The booking cancellation process was smooth. I just hope they refund me in full and on time and I don't have to beg them again and again.

Like someone said earlier, Tata cars are not for impatient folks. They are cars for someone who knows the devil (Tata) and is patient enough to deal with all their drama. It's a very competent product and I really regret that my first experience with Tata ended in disappointment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks