Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2023, 07:59   #1936
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNM View Post
Thank you for the explanation about lack of wireless CarPlay on the 1025” screens. I find it an unacceptable omission at 18.5 lakhs on-road price in Mumbai. I am having second thoughts now about buying the car. If the comparable VW Taigun can have wireless CarPlay then I see no reason why Kia cannot offer it (however there are other issues with the Taigun/Kushaq which make me not to want those cars).
I guess Hyundai/Kia are working on it, maybe with the launch of the facelift Seltos just around the corner, they will get the update on to all existing models, moreover they have confirmed Verna will get it soon too.

https://www.v3cars.com/news/hyundai-...s-connectivity
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 10:16   #1937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the explanation about lack of wireless CarPlay on the 1025” screens. I find it an unacceptable omission at 18.5 lakhs on-road price in Mumbai. I am having second thoughts now about buying the car. If the comparable VW Taigun can have wireless CarPlay then I see no reason why Kia cannot offer it (however there are other issues with the Taigun/Kushaq which make me not to want those cars).
Taigun will jump into Seltos/Creta segment. I won't even touch a VW/Skoda just cos of their reliability issues. These aren't like their previous well built cars.

Anyways, I have a HTX D-AT. It's been 20 months since we got it. Driven more than 30k km. Few points-

1. Htx has wireless carplay and I use it always. However it's not a make or break feature as anyways my iPhone is always connected to the wire for charging. So, it's a good convenience feature but not a must have.

2. Engine is fantastic. I drive in Normal mode mostly. Eco mode only in jams. Sports mode only on highways. NVH is very good. At idle sitting inside we can't even say it's a diesel. I used to drive friends Nexon diesel AMT before I got this. Torque converter is miles ahead of Nexon AMT. Gear shifts are butter smooth and many a times people sitting inside don't even notice a shift. Even manual mode with Paddle shifters is fun to drive. Haven't driven DCT sonet so can't comment with comparison.

3. Suspension is little stiff. But if we keep 33 psi in all tyres in City it's quite manageable. 35 psi on highways.

4. AC is absolute chiller. I was driving Honda City diesel before this which had a killer AC. This is even better because of less area in the cabin than City. Right now it's 44-45* temperature in Delhi. Takes 5-8 minutes for it to cool down the inside temperature even when parked under the sun.

5. Mileage- If MID shows 15kmpl, tank to tank will be 12kmpl. There is a variation of 2.5-3kmpl between MID and tank to tank always. In Delhi with AC these days I am getting between 12-14kmpl. On highway drives to Punjab or other places I get between 18-21kmpl depending on traffic conditions. Without AC there is a jump to 2-3kmpl.

6. Service so far has been a fantastic experience. Even better than Honda. I even had an accidental claim when car was at 11k km. Seamless experience. Service cost varies between 6-9k. My other car is a Tata. Service experience is day and night difference.

In nutshell I am extremely satisfied with the car till now. Can easily recommend it to anyone if they want a D-AT.
harry10 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 11:18   #1938
FNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
I guess Hyundai/Kia are working on it, maybe with the launch of the facelift Seltos just around the corner, they will get the update on to all existing models, moreover they have confirmed Verna will get it soon too.

https://www.v3cars.com/news/hyundai-...s-connectivity
Many thanks for that link! Most useful information. I’m not 100% sure whether older screens will be upgradeable for wireless CarPlay. It could be that this is a hardware limitation, in which case the upgrade won’t be possible. I’m not in a hurry to buy the car, so I will wait. But it’s good to know that wireless is coming, which is heartening. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Taigun will jump into Seltos/Creta segment. I won't even touch a VW/Skoda just cos of their reliability issues. These aren't like their previous well built cars.

Anyways, I have a HTX D-AT. It's been 20 months since we got it. Driven more than 30k km. Few points-

In nutshell I am extremely satisfied with the car till now. Can easily recommend it to anyone if they want a D-AT.
Many thanks for your detailed reply.

I agree, VW quality these days is not commensurate with a 20 lakh price tag, nor is their reliability. Most unfortunate!

While wireless CarPlay is not a deal breaker, it is very convenient to have, and I would certainly want it.

Agree with you about the engine/transmission refinement. I did notice that on my brief test drive. But I also want to know how the petrol version compares.

The tyres I would straightaway change for premium Michelins or similar, so I would expect the ride and handling to improve appreciably.

Good to know that the AirCon is fantastic. This is exactly the information I was looking for.

The rest of your points are well noted. Thanks again.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th May 2023 at 18:14. Reason: Trimmed quoted post. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Old 25th May 2023, 12:35   #1939
BHPian

Quote:
As Harry rightly pointed out, as an HTX owner who has Wireless Android Auto/Carplay, it's absolutely not a dealbreaker. Battery drains fast with Wireless AA and I eventually plug it in anyways.

VW Taigun etc. has reliability issues and Aircon is pathetic, to say the least. The AC in Sonet is terrific, just turn it out and it cools the cabin within no time. Plus the drive is great, I would recommend if you don't have reservations in going with Diesel. I did, and yet I went for Sonet as the engine/gearbox combo is SO good!
epiccross is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 13:58   #1940
FNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
As Harry rightly pointed out, as an HTX owner who has Wireless Android Auto/Carplay, it's absolutely not a dealbreaker. Battery drains fast with Wireless AA and I eventually plug it in anyways.

VW Taigun etc. has reliability issues and Aircon is pathetic, to say the least. The AC in Sonet is terrific, just turn it out and it cools the cabin within no time. Plus the drive is great, I would recommend if you don't have reservations in going with Diesel. I did, and yet I went for Sonet as the engine/gearbox combo is SO good!
I did not know that CarPlay drains the phone battery. So thank you for that info. But since the Sonet has wireless charging, that would not be an issue. The thing is that since I plan to keep the car for 4-5 years, I would certainly like to have Wireless CarPlay. I’m not in a hurry, so I don’t mind waiting a few months until they incorporate it.

As for the Taigun AirCon, I have now driven two separate test cars in the sweltering afternoon heat of Mumbai and I can vouch that the AirCon in the 1.5 engine Taigun is very good indeed. As good as Sonet 1.5, or very close. I drove the cars 4 times so I can vouch for my impressions. However the reliability and the quality of the interiors is a different matter.
Old 25th May 2023, 14:21   #1941
BHPian

Quote:
I did not know that CarPlay drains the phone battery. So thank you for that info. But since the Sonet has wireless charging, that would not be an issue. The thing is that since I plan to keep the car for 4-5 years, I would certainly like to have Wireless CarPlay. I’m not in a hurry, so I don’t mind waiting a few months until they incorporate it.
This has been my experience, the constant wireless projection does drain battery for me. If you can wait up, then no worries. On the plus side, it's been largely niggle free, so there's that.

Quote:
As for the Taigun AirCon, I have now driven two separate test cars in the sweltering afternoon heat of Mumbai and I can vouch that the AirCon in the 1.5 engine Taigun is very good indeed. As good as Sonet 1.5, or very close. I drove the cars 4 times so I can vouch for my impressions. However the reliability and the quality of the interiors is a different matter.
Not sure of 1.5, but 1.0 definitely has this issue and the VW thread is full of AC complaints. Though I'm surprised to hear that it's good as Sonet. Plus, that's not in the same segment though, it's in the Creta/Seltos segment right?
epiccross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 14:31   #1942
FNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Not sure of 1.5, but 1.0 definitely has this issue and the VW thread is full of AC complaints. Though I'm surprised to hear that it's good as Sonet. Plus, that's not in the same segment though, it's in the Creta/Seltos segment right?
Yes the 1.0 definitely has insufficient cooling, that I myself have experienced. Whether the 1.5 is as good as Sonet is difficult to say without doing side by side tests. Suffice to say that it is very good.
FNM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 14:35   #1943
BHPian

Quote:
I did not know that CarPlay drains the phone battery. So thank you for that info. But since the Sonet has wireless charging, that would not be an issue.
Aa far I understand, CarPlay and especially Android Auto are battery hoggers.
With wireless charging the charging rate might not be at the same level as the battery drain and will actually defeat the purpose.

As for wireless feature coming in the older cars, I have a GTX and whenever I step in the car, my phone auto connects and has a notification that Android Auto is available please connect a cable. So the phone knows about the cars capabilities, guess the cars infotainment may already have the wireless feature just not fully enabled.
ArijitGupte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 17:19   #1944
FNM
BHPian

About Apple CarPlay. Would one of you please let me know whether WhatsApp messages can be read on the infotainment screen via CarPlay. On another brand of car, clicking on WhatsApp only brings up two Siri options. One is to read out unread messages to you, and the other is to dictate a new message. I could not see the messages list. On the other hand, in the Messages app, one could read the messages like on the phone. Is this the case with CarPlay WhatsApp in the Sonet also?
Old 30th May 2023, 00:59   #1945
BHPian

Dear Sonet Owners,
We are facing a bit of conundrum, to avoid reposting you can read about the background here (Which car for 3000 kms / month under 15-lakh?)

To summarise if have a few questions to KIA owners:

The mid variant HTK Plus is costing 12.XX on road with BH registration.
Now my questions are :
1. Is Diesel IMT reliable?
2. What are the actual FE numbers, our TD card showed 13.5L.
3. how is the long term review?
4. Should I go with AT or IMT?
5. should I overlook the safety ratings?
I also want to upgrade the headlights to LED, are there any options from KIA?
6. I want to upgrade to Alloys too, what are my OEM options ?
Old 30th May 2023, 05:22   #1946
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightfurry View Post
Dear Sonet Owners,
We are facing a bit of conundrum, to avoid reposting you can read about the background here (Which car for 3000 kms / month under 15-lakh?)

Now my questions are :
The HTK Plus 1.0 Turbo Petrol IMT costs around 12.XX lakhs on-road with BH Registration whereas the HTK Plus 1.5 Diesel IMT costs 13.XX lakhs on-road wih BH Registration, now moving on to your questions

1. The Diesel IMT is definitely a reliable car with good mileage and an affordable choice for those who don't want to go for the Diesel AT.

2. The Diesel IMT will get you at least 20kmpl of mileage on average if driven sedately, for instance, I own a Diesel AT and I am still getting much more than the ARAI certified 19 kmpl for Diesel AT.

3. We have two Sonets in our family and over a dozen in our neighborhood, We have an X-Line DCT and a GTX Plus Diesel AT and honestly, I have to say the Diesel AT is far superior to the Petrol DCT, now as regards IMT, my neighbor has a Petrol IMT and he is happy with it, the Diesel IMT was recently introduced on the Sonet and I don't have much information on its long term reliability.

4 In my opinion, since you have the funds, I would at least recommend the HTX AT variant of the Sonet, it has all the requisite features and is a car worth the money in my opinion.

5. It depends, we were able to overlook the same, considering it isn't tested in the first place, however, if you feel that the Sonet isn't safe, there is always Nexon and Brezza with much better safety ratings.

6. The dealership will provide options for alloy upgrades, not so sure about the LED headlights though.

Hope this helps and if you need any more help, feel free to DM me!
bijims is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 18:32   #1947
BHPian

Sonet Dct Turbo.
Pros-
1. Quick shifting dct.
2. Refined and punchy.
3. Frugal if driven sanely.
Cons-
1. Lack of rear seat underthigh support for anyone above 5'6".
2. Stiff kneed ride quality over bad patches.
3. Dct might overheat when not driven well.

Sonet Diesel Auto.
Pros-
1. Pick of the entire Sonet range.
2. Best in segment diesel engine.
3. Satisfying power and efficiency
Cons-
1. Lack of rear seat underthigh support for anyone above 5'6".
2. Stiff kneed ride quality over bad patches.
3. Might need dpf regeneration from to time if used primarily for short distances in b2b traffic.

Last edited by Phantom 510 : 31st May 2023 at 18:36.
Old 1st June 2023, 09:31   #1948
BHPian

Quote:
One is to read out unread messages to you, and the other is to dictate a new message. I could not see the messages list. On the other hand, in the Messages app, one could read the messages like on the phone. Is this the case with CarPlay WhatsApp in the Sonet also?
Yes, it’s the same for Sonet. None of the messaging apps, except the default Messages app, have a listing screen. I’ve checked WhatsApp, Skype and Teams.
robincsamuel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 23:19   #1949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightfurry View Post

Now my questions are :
Hello!

1. The D-IMT is a newer variant and nothing elaborate is known about it YET. I have a friend who has a petrol IMT and his feedback was good enough for me to go for a Sonet.
2. I get between 14.5-17 kmpl (GTX DAT - TC Gearbox). My drive is mostly city with fortnightly non-sedate highway runs. I dont fret much about FE. The Sonet is not the one for economy conscious folks. Brezza with its non-turbo petrol would be better suited for FE lovers.
3. 1.5 years down the line, I will buy it again without a second thought. It's like floating on a carpet.
4. If budget permits, go for the GTX+ D-AT model! No regrets till now.
5. The Sonet hasn't been crash tested yet but if its written in the stars, people die in trucks/buses/trains too. Having 6 airbags, ABS, TCS etc should be some respite though.
6. The LED headlamps are the Achilles heel of the Sonet. Will advise being extra careful during night driving in rainfall/fog. I would have personally preferred the yellow projector lamps and i am doubtful you can switch over to the other without paying a good sum. The alloys on both HTX and GTX are handsome and you can request the dealership to upgrade yours to the silver finish (if you choose HTX).

Happy motoring!
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 14:53   #1950
BHPian

Has anyone replaced Wiper blades?
Recently had my 30K Service done. SA told rear blade has started tearing off a bit, but not serious.
He told I can replace it outside as well, no issues.
I'm thinking of frameless blades. Is it only aesthetic or very useful.
Also, suggest good brand.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks