Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2021, 11:39   #931
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
This I'm not sure is that straightforward though. While the Thar may be within 4 meter length - the car does not satisfy the other condition of capped engine displacement (1.2L for petrol & 1.5L for diesel).
That said - certainly goes to show your point - how these modern, electronic loaded blown up hatch-backs have earned a lot of profits for car makers
Great point, I had missed this aspect in my calculations. The Mahindra Thar would not qualify for sub-4 meter excise benefits since the engine size at 2200cc is well over the 1500 cc allowed for Diesel small cars to qualify for the 29% rate. The Thar Diesel (and Petrol) would attract the full 43% GST rate.

So, here is the revised calculation:
  • Thar Diesel LX AT with Hard Top - ex-showroom price 13.75 lakhs, Mahindra realizes 9.62 lakhs after paying GST
  • Sonet GTX+ Diesel AT - ex-showroom prices 13.19 lakhs, Kia realizes 10.22 lakhs after paying GST.

So Kia makes 60K more for every top end Sonet sold than Mahindra does for every top end Thar sold. My finger-in-the-air estimate is that the build cost of the Sonet can be no more than 75% of that of the Thar. So assuming Mahindra makes a nominal 7% profit on the Thar (with introductory pricing to avoid sticker shock), the fully loaded cost of production of the Thar is about 9 lakhs and that of the Sonet is about 6.75 lakhs.

Based on this back-of-the envelope calculation, Kia makes a fat 50% margin for every top end Sonet sold while Mahindra makes 7% for every top end Thar sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I don't understand the problem with Kia making profits, should they go bankrupt offering what the market doesn't want?
I am not saying Kia should not make profits, but I do get a feeling this order of profit they make does not seem sustainable somehow. IMO, consumers are over-paying through their nose for what comes across to me as a "smoke-and-mirrors" type of car, which is essentially a hatchback with puffed up body panels and electronic gizmos loaded to the hilt. Even the Seltos barely managed a 3-star crash test rating, it remains to be seen where the Sonet lands on safety. I know market forces have to take care of levelling the profit playing field and have not done so successfully so far. Even still, if Kia want to be known as a Value-for-Money brand in the long run, this type of profit hoarding behavior will not hold them in good stead in the long run. The first salvo has been fired (at least in the petrol side) by the Nissan Magnite, which brings most of what the Sonet has to offer at a 40% less price point! This is only possible because Nissan is probably competing with low single digit margin like Mahindra is with the Thar.

I rest my case.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 3rd January 2021 at 11:52.
84.monsoon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 22:58   #932
BHPian

Congratulations to a fellow Sonet customer. Bought a GTX+ DL AT from JSP on the 15th of Dec. So far so good. Will post details shortly
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20201223_142521_113.jpg  

shabeermohamed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 16:20   #933
BHPian

Kia has increased its prices
Diesel hiked by 20k
Petrol hiked by 10k
Turbo no price change
[ATTACH=KA101-Sonet 2021 PRICE LIST.pdf]2102640[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KA101-Sonet 2021 PRICE LIST.pdf (490.5 KB, 1206 views)
chetancm7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 17:44   #934
BHPian

Before this price hike Diesel HTX variant was 12.36 Lakhs in Bangalore and now shot up to 13.01 Lakhs.
20K increase in Ex-showroom price has added 37K on road tax and 7643 TCS. Too much of a difference
Old 5th January 2021, 20:14   #935
BHPian

For the sake of keeping this thread updated regarding couple of rather unnerving quality control issues in Sonet which have been recently reported by BHPians, let me link these two threads in the Technical Stuff section:
Best,

Last edited by gmhossain : 5th January 2021 at 20:19.
gmhossain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 23:02   #936
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone who's driven both Seltos and Sonet diesel autos comment on the NVH and performance? It'd be great if you can compare it with the Creta diesel automatic as well. Thanks.

For context, I'm looking to choose between Seltos and Creta. I'd like to consider the Sonet as well if the NVH is good. I saw some youtube reviews that mention Sonet is louder than Seltos.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 5th January 2021 at 23:06.
Old 10th January 2021, 09:23   #937
BHPian

I have bought one last month - GTX+ Diesel AT - ABP. Covered about 700 kms. So far so good. Absolutely loving the smooth and powerful engine and the quick shifting TC gearbox
shabeermohamed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 21:34   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Folks,
I have had my Kia Sonet Diesel automatic GTX plus in Aurora black pearl trim delivered to me yesterday.
I have completed 1000KM and have done the first service/check-up. It took SPL KIA, Kolkata around 3 hours for the check-up and delivery of the car.

I had an appointment and drove to the service center at around 11:45 AM. I didn't avail of the pickup and drop service offered by them. The car was delivered back by 3:30. There was a slight nudge (I won't say push) for underbody coating that was turned down politely. Customers waiting there were offered refreshments.

There were no other jobs done and the service bill came out to zero. I might go for an oil change during the next check-up.
An SMS with the status updates was sent when the car was taken by the SA. To check the status, the KIA Link app can also be installed.

At the reception, the lady watched over my phone when I was filling the feedback form. Since I had nothing to complain about, I was OK to provide a 10/10 for the service.

Overall a professional affair, just the way I like it. Hope it will remain the same in case of issues.
Old 16th January 2021, 13:00   #939
BHPian

Thanks for the post.

It helped make an evaluation and decision.

I was looking for an upgrade from my GT TSi and the following were the considerations -

A. Diesel AT

My preference was based on my search for a Diesel Automatic. My travel is more than 1500 kms per month and we are a four member family

B. Peppy and Fun to Drive

I needed a good/nice/peppy to drive option when I am upgrading from my Polo GT TSi

C. Boot space - I needed a little more boot space than my GT

Cars evaluated
A. Sonet Diesel AT
B. Nexon Diesel AMT

Factors evaluated.

A. Engine - I felt Sonet has a smoother and more powerful engine. On paper, Nexon is more powerful with its specs. But on the road in actual performance, Sonet is faster. It is quicker in BOTH in gear as well as straight line (0-100 kmph) acceleration. I cross-checked the various reviews posted for both the vehicles.

B. Gear box - The Torque converter in Sonet is a million times better. The smooth quick shifting AT gearbox mated with the 115 PS engine is like a match made in heaven. The AMT in Nexon is so primitive in comparison. This was based on my detailed TD of both models.

C. Looks. I hate how a Nexon looks - an oversized Indica. Of course this is my personal opinion. I feel Sonet is the best looking CSUV.

D. Fit and finish and quality of materials used. - The interiors of a Sonet has a much more premium feel.

E. Infotainment system - It is much better than the one in Nexon. No lags and a great music system.

F. Safety - The GTX+ comes with all the segment leading safety features like 6 Airbags, ABS with EBD and Brake Assist, ESP, VSM, Front and Back Sensors, TPMS, Hill Hold and what not. (But all this is no substitute for safe driving ��). Here I felt Nexon had a slight edge though with its NCAP rating.

G. Build - Here Sonet is a 1.25 tonne car with 70% high strength steel. It's as heavy as a Nexon and I felt the bonnet and doors. Although the doors were heavier in Nexon, the feel of opening and closing for Sonet was also not at all bad. I know it has not been tested. Here I have to take a leap of faith.

H - Driveability - I took extensive test drives of both. In fact I have driven Nexon quite a bit. Lot of my friends and relatives have it. But when I drove a Sonet Diesel AT, I knew this was it. The feel and feedback of the steering, the stability at high speeds, the feeling of power are all amazing.

I - The air purifier, Ventilated seats, Bose music system, sun roof are all bonus additions that my wife liked. Nexon also gave an air purifier as an add on. But it's very clumsy.

J - The top end GTX+ AT on-road price in Bangalore was only 30K more than Nexon Diesel AMT top end variant. I will happily give an extra 30K for a torque converter.

K. Wait Period - Any good car now will have a wait period - Sonet, Nexon or XUV. If I am planning to buy one and own it for the next 5-6 years at least, I don't mind waiting a couple of months.

Last but not the least, the sales team at JSP KIA - very nice and cordial people, who were very helpful.

It was a no brainer for me and I selected Sonet.

Of course, road safety is another matter. Here, I trust in God and will strive to drive safely.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th January 2021 at 05:00. Reason: Typos, punctuation, grammar
shabeermohamed is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th January 2021, 02:20   #940

Hello fellow BHP members, I am Ram from Bangalore / Chennai. As a recent member to Team BHP I was drafting my introduction post and Booked my car post but before posting those I required some urgent advice so I turned to the most helpful people of internet.

I have booked my own first car Kia Sonet HTX iMT after a long comparison and multiple test drives, my booking is done on Chennai SVM Kia, Guindy on 2nd of January with a well known waiting period of 12 to 16 weeks. And to my surprise the dealer called me and told there is a same model and color of my booking available in yard as the person booked the car is not able to manage the finances and since I'm not going for any loans they wanted me to take this one (yes within 16 days of booking)

Now my query is, is this normal and too much of luck? Or am I missing something. I'm worried about the car standing in the yard and not sure I can cover all the extensive checks in PDI, I would like some advice on how I can proceed and what are the main things I should be careful and concerned about?

As I'm following this thread for a long time (since inception I can say) I hope to get some best advice and thanks in advance.

Cheers
Ram
ram_bishop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 07:07   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_bishop View Post

Now my query is, is this normal and too much of luck? Or am I missing something. I'm worried about the car standing in the yard and not sure I can cover all the extensive checks in PDI, I would like some advice on how I can proceed and what are the main things I should be careful and concerned about?

Cheers
Ram
This is very normal! Most of the dealerships would've borrowed money from the bank to stock up these cars. In order to avoid paying interest on the amount taken by waiting for the customer to pay, they offer it to the next person in line who can pay the amount immediately.
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 08:29   #942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
Ram
I don’t think you have much to worry about. Do an inspection using the PDI checklist. The most important thing to look at is the mileage and the month of manufacture from the VIN. If it has less than 100 kms on the odometer, you can rule out the possibility of a test car being sold to you. For a fast moving car like the Sonet, the manufacturing month should be within the last 2-3 months at most, to rule out a display car from the first lot being sold to you. Also this car is most likely a 2020 VIN, and may be the original allottee is insisting on a 2021 VIN - could be the reason it is being offered to you. I don’t see this as a major issue for a newly launched car which hit the market so late in 2020 year, however there may be a small difference in resale value, you have to make sure you are OK with that. I just took delivery of my Thar last week and it was a 2020 VIN but I am fine with it as there are no changes at all on 2021 models. Same is the case with the Sonet, I don’t believe there are any additional features or engineering changes in 2021 models.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 19th January 2021 at 08:31.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 14:04   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow BHP members, I am Ram from Bangalore / Chennai. As a recent member to Team BHP I was drafting my introduction post and Booked my car post but before posting those I required some urgent advice so I turned to the most helpful people of internet.

I have booked my own first car Kia Sonet HTX iMT after a long comparison and multiple test drives, my booking is done on Chennai SVM Kia, Guindy on 2nd of January with a well known waiting period of 12 to 16 weeks. And to my surprise the dealer called me and told there is a same model and color of my booking available in yard as the person booked the car is not able to manage the finances and since I'm not going for any loans they wanted me to take this one (yes within 16 days of booking)

As I'm following this thread for a long time (since inception I can say) I hope to get some best advice and thanks in advance.

Cheers
Ram
This is typical of dealers requesting customers those who are next in line. I have a similar experience wherein the dealer informed that the customer prior to me is not too serious and is not giving any indications of accepting delivery anytime soon, hence the next vehicle would be allotted to me whenever its available(hopefully by this month end). As 84.monsoon mentioned it must be a 2020 allotted vehicle and if you are going to use the vehicle for a longer haul then you don't have to worry about the manufacturing date. Plus there are no known changes or additions to any of the features in 2021 model.

Last edited by chetancm7 : 19th January 2021 at 14:07.
chetancm7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:03   #944

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I don’t think you have much to worry about. Do an inspection using the PDI checklist. The most important thing to look at is the mileage and the month of manufacture from the VIN. If it has less than 100 kms on the odometer, you can rule out the possibility of a test car being sold to you. For a fast moving car like the Sonet, the manufacturing month should be within the last 2-3 months at most, to rule out a display car from the first lot being sold to you. Also this car is most likely a 2020 VIN, and may be the original allottee is insisting on a 2021 VIN - could be the reason it is being offered to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetancm7 View Post
This is typical of dealers requesting customers those who are next in line. I have a similar experience wherein the dealer informed that the customer prior to me is not too serious and is not giving any indications of accepting delivery anytime soon, hence the next vehicle would be allotted to me whenever its available(hopefully by this month end).
Thanks for all your inputs. Again to my surprise, it is a 2021 car, manufactured at 09/01/21. When I asked them for the real reason, he told he recently joined and haven't made any sales yet, so his boss wants to make his booking move out quick and when a Red Sonet HTX iMT was available, I was in his list for same model and colour. Looks strange but a genuine reason, so I should be thanking my luck here. I paid for the car yesterday and will be doing a thorough PDI (still 1% my brain not accepting my luck ) and pay for registration later next week. Hope everything goes in my favor.

Below are VIN details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
VIN: MZBFF811LMN047114
Model: Sonet
Model Year: 2021
Engine: 1.0 KAPPA
Engine No.: G3LCLM158508
Transmission: 6MT
Production Date: 09-01-2021
Colour: A6R
Cheers
Ram
Old 23rd January 2021, 14:07   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I want to buy a second car in the 18-25 lakh price range and honestly cant find a single brand that has a car worth buying which is also sensibly priced AND reliable. Sad state of affairs.
A couple of OT lines Axe, due to what you mention.

Why don’t you look at the new Honda City ZX CVT, reading happy reviews from our folks on the forum. Honda’s are generally reliable, this one looks brilliant (subjective I know), fully loaded, park anywhere ability and on the lower end of your proposed budget as well.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks