Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Mod Note: Let's now move on from Dinesh's problem & discussion, guys. Thank you
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 09:05   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hello ,
Have noticed a rattling noise from the passenger door side area especially on rough patches and passing potholes. It seems to come from left ORVM area but could not pin point the area exactly . Its not a metallic noise but feels "some thing is loose" type of noise.
On smooth roads there is no noise. The variant is HTX iMT .
Hi,
After my last comment one BHPian gentleman had suggested that it could be the passenger side seat belt buckle. I haven't been able to check but I think he is right.

Some days back I drove the GTX+ D/AT Dehradun - Chakrata - Mussoorrie - Dehradun. As the car is still in the breaking in period, I didn't want to go over 2000-2500 rpm and th4 drove all the way on "ECO" mode. It went effortlessly the entire way. I don't think power will be an issue. I found the steering to be nice. On the mountains, I prefer a precise and heavier steering. It's also safer.

Last edited by Axe77 : 24th October 2023 at 11:58. Reason: Merging.
Old 14th December 2020, 10:24   #858

So I've finally got to drive my car around a bit! Drove it down to Kerala last Friday along with some friends - one of whom owns the Venue SX+ Sport DCT. Drove his Venue as well halfway to get a nice comparison between the two.
I own the GTX+ Diesel AT variant of the Sonet.

- Turbo lag in the Venue felt very, very noticeable. Not so much on my car.
- The Handling of the venue does feel a bit more responsive, but at higher speeds the Sonet feels much more stable and planted
- Sonet's suspension felt a lot more comfortable - at least for me and the friend who sat with me.
- My car is newer (My friend bought his a year ago) but it just felt much more in control when braking from higher speeds. The brakes feel tighter, the car feels more planted.
- The ventilated seats are awesome. We were driving under a beating sun and it really does provide some relief.

Overall, the car is an absolute dream to drive for me. I had a great time and it wasn't tiring at all.

The initial issue I reported when I bought the car- with the noise when I was moving from a standstill - has gone. Appears the SE was right about it just being new brakes and them being tight.

Couldn't be happier with my purchase. Really looking forward to doing more and more of these trips.
GT_C89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 13:28   #859
BHPian

With everyone talking about the tyre pressure and stiff suspension of the Sonet, I'd like to add on to that. I'm still waiting on my Black GTX+ D-AT to be delivered in January. Recently I had taken a test drive in Chennai and noticed that the suspension was stiffer than the test drive car that I took in Hyderabad. Upon checking the TPMS, I was shocked to see 43psi

We also have to keep in mind that the stock MRF Wanderers/Apollo tyres are much harder in composition to keep costs down as well as guarantee longer tyre life. My solution, which is what I will be doing as soon as I take delivery, is to swap the tyres to the softer Continental MaxContact 5 with the same 215/65 R16 profile tyres and keep the tyre pressure at 33. This should be a viable solution for most owners. At first, I wanted the Michelin Primacy 4ST, but thanks to the import ban, it has been hard to source these tyres.
vishal.jayakuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 22:56   #860
BHPian

Does anybody here own the 1.2L MT Petrol?

Is the car really as underpowered as social media comments suggest? I took a test drive, it felt extremely smooth. And since my wife will also be driving, I wanted to go for an NA medium powered car that allows her to get acclimatized to driving, before we move to bigger and badder boys years from now.

But now I'm second guessing my limited experience. Some assistance would be extremely good.

Edit: The dealer has added the dealer's KIA insurance to my total cost, as well as 20k worth of chrome bling, which I do not want at the least. I might try for some company made seat covers, if they have that. Otherwise I'll ask him to take it off of the total bill.

Insurance was the same old story, with them saying it's mandatory and writing it up along with the total projected cost. How should I proceed to this, as I've booked the car around a month ago. I'm going to call him up in a few days once the revised price sheet comes in, and I've not heard a single word from them with regards to if the car is booked, or indeed if anything is moving at all. Is this normal? They've quoted 35k.

A friend of mine at Tata AIG offered the same insurance at 27k. However, I'm worried a disagreement with the dealer will lead to them taking measures such as screwing with my car come delivery/first service to take it out on me. Safe to say I'm more tensed now about the entire debacle. While I don't want to spend any extra rupee, I also want to keep myself and the car safe as well.

The car was booked at the Capital KIA dealer on OMR at Perungudi, Chennai, if anyone needs more details.

-DP

Last edited by DeathPig : 14th December 2020 at 23:22. Reason: Added more details/questions.
Old 15th December 2020, 03:30   #861
Senior - BHPian

I believe this is the right group to post this uncanny similarity the Sonet fascia has with a big brawny mighty Hellcat SUV in US

Source of photos: YouTube video & TBHP
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-50c531b471af43a5964784ce5edc9168.jpeg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-fd30f9adcacf40bbb0dd24ab44c55053.jpeg  

Last edited by gururajrv : 15th December 2020 at 03:32.
gururajrv is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 11:30   #862
BHPian

This guy has activated the 'Cruise Control' feature on his base Kia Sonet HTE by just adding steering mounted controls!

ATRONIX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 18:19   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Speakers get BOSE branding. The sound quality is really good, especially by Compact SUV standards...

...and a subwoofer on the right
Kia Sonet : Official Review-2020kiasonet69.jpg

The amplifier is on the left (behind the plastic trim). My friend saw it at dealer workshop, but couldn't take photograph. In Seltos and new i20, it's under front passenger seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Amplifier is located under the front passenger's seat:
[Link]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
…this amplifier placed under the front passenger seat. We appreciate how manufacturers are now focussing on the in-car entertainment experience too:
[Link]
I prefer the position in Sonet as it frees up foot space for RR Left passenger.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 23:25   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post
Edit: The dealer has added the dealer's KIA insurance to my total cost, as well as 20k worth of chrome bling, which I do not want at the least. I might try for some company made seat covers, if they have that. Otherwise I'll ask him to take it off of the total bill... How should I proceed to this, as I've booked the car around a month ago...
Don't say anything to dealer. Send email to dealer asking for status on booking. Send reminder every 15 days. Once they confirm vehicle availability, tell SA to confirm on email (say: you are taking loan from your office scheme, so need email confirmation... blah blah). Once you receive email confirmation, send return email informing your insurance choice and to remove unnecessary stuff.
Quote:
I'm worried a disagreement with the dealer will lead to them taking measures such as screwing with my car come delivery/first service to take it out on me. Safe to say I'm more tensed now about the entire debacle. While I don't want to spend any extra rupee, I also want to keep myself and the car safe as well.
Dear friend, there's nothing to fear. The max dealer can do is to give excuse and delay your delivery; or at worst cancel your booking unilaterally. This is just a product purchase and never let SA sense your insecurity. You must stand your ground. Being calm yet firm on your request (demand) works. I have faced such dealers umpteen times and always got my way as customer, thereby saving lots of money for myself, family and friends.
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 07:07   #865
BHPian

Thank you for the response, AutoNoob.

I will send them an email right away, and proceed as you advised. I'll keep this thread posted with updates on what is going on as well.

Help is appreciated.

-DP
Old 16th December 2020, 08:52   #866
Distinguished - BHPian

Latest Autocar magazine includes a detailed review of the Sonet, including the 0-100 times and in-gear acceleration times for 4 different powertrains of the Sonet.

The petrol iMT delivers respectable performance. While the 1.0 DCT is the fastest to 100, the diesels are very close behind. What is surprising is that the 1.0 WGT manual with 15 less horsepower and 10 NM less torque is faster than the Diesel VGT Auto. Suggestion to Kia - please plonk the iMT instead of the MT in the WGT Diesel, I think that can make for a very good combination of power, convenience and good mileage. An HTX Diesel iMT at 9.99 lakhs would be a sweet buy.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-picture2.jpg  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 16th December 2020 at 08:55.
Old 16th December 2020, 10:23   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post
Thank you for the response, AutoNoob.

I will send them an email right away, and proceed as you advised. I'll keep this thread posted with updates on what is going on as well.

Help is appreciated.

-DP
I would have accompanied you to 'negotiate' with dealer. But left the city few years back and now almost 2000kms northwards.

If possible, look for a 'negotiator' in your family/ friend circle and take him along after dealer confirms availability of your vehicle.

Your choice of profile name is very strange.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 10:30   #868
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
The amplifier is on the left (behind the plastic trim). My friend saw it at dealer workshop, but couldn't take photograph. In Seltos and new i20, it's under front passenger seat.

I prefer the position in Sonet as it frees up foot space for RR Left passenger.
In case of flooding (as seen in many cases in the past few months), overall costs of repair will be lower since the amplifier will be located behind the rear panel of the boot rather than it being under the seat, as seen in the Kia Seltos.
Old 16th December 2020, 10:31   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I would have accompanied you to 'negotiate' with dealer. But left the city few years back and now almost 2000kms northwards.

If possible, look for a 'negotiator' in your family/ friend circle and take him along after dealer confirms availability of your vehicle.

Your choice of profile name is very strange.
Thank you for the offer nonetheless!

I was a huge fan of older civilizations when growing up, and something about the Erymanthian Boar (Heracles' Labors) stuck to me, especially a line that it was a "death pig". It stuck to me, and I've stuck to this name online for almost a decade on various forums/social media websites/gaming platforms. If you see a deathpig on steam, it's probably me.
DeathPig is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 10:53   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Latest Autocar magazine includes a detailed review of the Sonet, including the 0-100 times and in-gear acceleration times for 4 different powertrains of the Sonet.
I don't understand why none of these magazines do a review on the petrol MT 1.2L engine.
DeathPig is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks